PDA

View Full Version : JoJo's Bizarre D&D?

Silvernale
2019-05-27, 06:26 PM
I came across the summoner class and started wondering on the viability of a character using that as a Stand from the JoJo series. Any thoughts or ideas?

StSword
2019-05-27, 09:56 PM
From what I understand, the schtick you want to be able to emulate is summoning a companion who has magic powers, yes?

A Summoner's eidolon's magic capacity is rather limited.

You might find more satisfaction with the spheres of power version, whose companion can buy sphere talents with the magical companion talent.

You can check it out at the spheres of power wiki, I'd provide a link but my computer is acting up.

awa
2019-05-28, 07:51 AM
most stands would not be well represent in D&d they tend to have only a single very OP power that not particularly versatile with weird limiting rules. For the most parts that's just not how D&d characters are built particularly not casters.

That said their is such a variety of stands that one that looks like a elidon would probably not be that weird.

flappeercraft
2019-05-28, 08:13 AM
Lots of stands would work either wonkily or not at all in 3.5. However that does not mean you can't replicate quite a few.

For starters one could go for Invisible Spell Summons for some stands or having a cohort with a ring of invisibility or something similar could somewhat work as well and you just build him to be as close as possible to the stand.

Edit: Silver Chariot would be a duelist cohort, Star Platinum and Za Warudo (The World) are just Unarmed Swordsages with some kind of Time Stop ability which could be replicated via a touchstone ability or that one set of boots on the MIC. I'm early stages of Part4 but Crazy Diamond just looks like a Cleric with Divine power and lots of heal spells.

MeimuHakurei
2019-05-28, 08:38 AM
Lots of stands would work either wonkily or not at all in 3.5. However that does not mean you can't replicate quite a few.

For starters one could go for Invisible Spell Summons for some stands or having a cohort with a ring of invisibility or something similar could somewhat work as well and you just build him to be as close as possible to the stand.

Edit: Silver Chariot would be a duelist cohort, Star Platinum and Za Warudo (The World) are just Unarmed Swordsages with some kind of Time Stop ability which could be replicated via a touchstone ability or that one set of boots on the MIC. I'm early stages of Part4 but Crazy Diamond just looks like a Cleric with Divine power and lots of heal spells.

Time Stands Still is when you want SP/TW to beat the crap out of enemies while stopping time.

flappeercraft
2019-05-28, 08:42 AM
Time Stands Still is when you want SP/TW to beat the crap out of enemies while stopping time.

Ok yeah, that's probably better tbh. Btw maybe take a level of devoted defender and have them take that epic feat that lets them use deflect arrows infinitely

noob
2019-05-28, 10:09 AM
you can also play a barbarian and carry around a lemonade stand you place on the ground before fights to have cover or elevation to get bonuses to fighting.
(ps: if you are playing 5e your dog can have a class and carry another drink stand)

Silvernale
2019-05-28, 12:17 PM
Well I don't have to exactly make the official ones in the series, but more the general concept.

Gnaeus
2019-05-28, 12:23 PM
For a weaker but more magically active pet there is also magical child vigilante. At level 7 your pet would have the powers of 3 improved familiars. Haven’t seen the anime.

MisterKaws
2019-05-28, 12:46 PM
Why didn't anyone mention Otiax's Air Blast? Actually, aren't vestiges all pretty much stands?

Lapak
2019-05-28, 03:03 PM
Actually, aren't vestiges all pretty much stands?
There it is, that's what I was going to post. Put together some power sets as vestiges, you are pretty close to done, and treating them that way does a better job of mirroring how injuries affect the Stand user, not just the Stand itself.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-28, 03:22 PM
I'd say it's more like the players are the vestiges' stands.

Nousos
2019-05-28, 03:40 PM
For a very specific stand, you could play as Anubis (a Fiend of Possession) and possess someone when they pick up your rusty sword (a legacy weapon). Sprinkle in Initiator levels and you can have a fun time turning any poor sap into a demonic swordsman, or find/custom make the perfect cohort (vessel) to synergize with the melee abilities you couldn't fit in your build.

Playing this build in a Diablo themed campaign and its super fun.

Silvernale
2019-05-28, 04:05 PM
Maybe a Summoner/Soul Binder dual class..

Arkain
2019-05-30, 01:50 PM
Since you were inspired by what I assume to be Pathfinder's Summoner, why not take a look at its Spiritualist? It's basically the Summoner, except with a ghost phantom and spooky fluff, so you can literally have your punch ghost come out of your mind and wreck things.
In the same book, there's also the Medium who channels spirits into themselves to... poorly emulate other classes? It kind of reminds me of the Binder class actually, but with much less choice.