PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Trollskull Alley IC

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-27, 08:27 PM
Trollskull Alley Tavern. Nestled in the winding and cramped side street that gives the taproom its namesake, the festive and warm nature of the Fool's Court suffuses the torchlit building and gives it a jolly energy. Browned and crispy leaves swirl around in the cold winds arriving, heralding winter. The people of Ermeridian are wrapping up the harvest and preparing for the upcoming winter.

However, the Trollskull Alley Tavern houses more than just satisfied patrons. The place is absolutely brimming with what most would consider to be the scum of the earth- cutpurses and smugglers and slavers and assassins all mill about, enjoying each other's company and making merriment just like the normal hoi polloi inhabiting of the tap.

In the corner, a light game of three-dragon ante is afoot, populated by a strange panoply of individuals. While some are playing fair, the deck is stocked with about 5 too many Gold Dragons, and some at the table are using their guile or magical prowess to turn the game towards their favor. None of them particularly care, being at the least good acquaintances and at the most adopted family.

You are all playing the game in order to wait for your contact to arrive. Your contact, a senior assassin rumored to take orders directly from the Shaar, is going to brief you on your next task for the Apex. In the meantime, you can all describe your characters and make small talk in wait.

JNAProductions
2019-05-27, 08:34 PM
Oro holds the right amount of cards. She's never been much of a gambler, not even casually, and her mind is barely on the game. She breaks out of her bubble of thoughts for a moment, just long enough to see how screwed her hand makes her, and announces I fold, setting her cards facedown on the table.

She stands, stretching up to her full height of just over seven feet. Her eyes scan the room, and settle on a rather unruly patron. One moment, friends, she says, leaving the gambling table and resting a massive hand on the patron's shoulder. She doesn't say a word-she doesn't even glare or anything. She simply places her hand there and notices him. No threat-only a promise that it would be very much in his best interest to shape up or go home.

After a few moments, she lets go, letting the man scurry away (or try something stupid, if he really wants to).

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-27, 08:41 PM
The patron ducks and runs almost immediately. Your reputation precedes you.

JNAProductions
2019-05-27, 08:52 PM
Oro chuckles a little, and returns to her seat.

Hypersmith
2019-05-27, 08:59 PM
Khamuush is lounging in his chair, pretending - and failing - not to be irritated at the quality of cards he's drawn. He's intimate with the tricks that make the game attractive to many, but there's no use knowing them if you're unable to draw a winning hand. He releases his tongue from between his teeth to announce to the table. "I'm folding too. If I'd known this was today's luck I wouldn't have called for this in the first place."
He leans back in his chair, eyes darting left and right as he continues to converse. They never seem to sit quite still, always drinking in the atmosphere, who was causing trouble, the people who slunk in and out, the coins exchanging hands. "Just a little longer and that skinny one on the edge of his seat was going to stab him. Shame you're so responsible Oro."

JNAProductions
2019-05-27, 09:05 PM
I have a job to keep the people in here safe. I take my job seriously, she says. And, more importantly, we just got new tablecloths. You know how hard bloodstains are to get out.

Seanfall
2019-05-27, 09:05 PM
Nadarr gave a pleased hiss at his hand, it was pretty good damn near perfect. He laid the cards out on the table and took a long puff of his pipe exhaling the smoke out through his nostrils.

"Best hand I've had all night." The scaled sorcerer blew out another puff of smoke and eyed the bowel of his pipe, he spun and tapped it gently against a tray sat on the table. Carefully he took a pinch of pipeweed filled the bowel back up, with a snap of his fingers he held a small flame at the tip of his talon and lit it back up. "Ahhhh."

I think pipeweed is just a name for tobacco in DnD? O.o

Seanfall
2019-05-27, 09:07 PM
I have a job to keep the people in here safe. I take my job seriously, she says. And, more importantly, we just got new tablecloths. You know how hard bloodstains are to get out.

"Fire prevents bleeding." Another short puff. "Just saying."

Hypersmith
2019-05-27, 09:24 PM
"I bet our elexir inclined friend could cook up something to get rid of bloodstains. But there's no way to turn a burtn hunk of wood back into a table as far as I'm aware."
Khamuush leans in a bit to look at Nadarr's hand."This is bullsh*t"

Tallytrev813
2019-05-27, 09:37 PM
To Oro's left, sits a man of unmentionable stature seemingly known to those around the table. His Garb, unassuming. His mannerisms draw no attention. In fact, until he opens his mouth - you'd hardly know he was there...and the opposite is true afterwords. He appears...more than friendly (if not, a little too friendly) with those around the table, Cittern strapped to his back.

To new-commers he's known as Jean Claude Gustave-Clarette III...but...most just call him Jean (Pronounced John). Those who stray from law-abiding lifestyles may have heard of him, though most wouldn't put a face to the name.

He sits with a modest amount of chips at the table, engaging in the game of cards...but those known to Jean are more than aware that is not where his attention lies...and currently, it's with Oro's disruptive friend.

Fold...

Jean strategically moves towards the door as Oro approached the patron, and unassumingly swipes an unattended flagon of ale from a table. As the man dashes for the door, rattled by Oro's intimidating presence, Jean bumps in to him from the side opposite the direction his head is turned as he moves to the door from Oro.

Hey! Get out of here man, you're not welcome! He slurs in a sudden change of dialect.

Sleight of hand check to steal whatever's in his pockets

[roll0]

Jean imediately, and seemlessly, slips into the crowd - Blending like a chameleon of the Bar - molding into a piece of his environment.

[roll1]

Afterwhich Jean moves back around, darting between Patrons, over to Oro.
We should play cards more often...

JNAProductions
2019-05-27, 09:41 PM
Sighing, Oro shakes her head. What did he even have on him? Last time this happened, you got six coppers. Hardly worth the effort.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-27, 09:46 PM
Sighing, Oro shakes her head. What did he even have on him? Last time this happened, you got six coppers. Hardly worth the effort.

Sometimes, you have to sift through the bad hands to win the big pot... Jean responds, as he folds another hand, Eyes shifting about the bar.

Besides, you remember the nobleman who stumbled in here who's ring i was able to plant on one of his guards. You cant tell me that wasnt...amusing...watching his guards fight eachother in the alley. Best fun ive had in quite a while.

Jean collects another hand and shifts through his pocket, feeling out what exactly he just lifted off the patron.

His gaze shifts to the others at the table, You could keep the furniture blood-free - kill em somewhere else. Like i always say, boys. Best kill is the one you got someone else to do...

Luccan
2019-05-27, 09:51 PM
Eldon idly shifts his cards in his hand. He isn't particularly good at cards, but several of his allies enjoyed the game enough and it was something to do while they awaited an assignment. The gnome, fingers stained from years of alchemical work, sighs and sets his hand down I'll fold, too. I'm terrible at this game

He observes Jean Claude's antics while responding to the others.
I don't make cleaning products. Blood stains can come out of someone else's paycheck. My materials are expensive enough as is. He rolls his curiously engraved stone between his hands, a common idle gesture from him.

Seanfall
2019-05-27, 10:06 PM
"Does that mean I take the hand?" Nadarr was better at dice then cards, he'd gotten a lucky hand but truth be told he had a hard time remembering the rules of the game he knew enough to play a friendly hand but put him up against anyone playing seriously he'd most likely lose in the first few turns. The Dragonborn was half listening to the conversation. He collected his winnings and drew a new hand.

"Well my way doesn't leave evidence." He answered after a moment. "I was never good at pickpocketing. My scales would always catch on the fabric."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-27, 10:20 PM
[COLOR="#FF0000"]"I was never good at pickpocketing. My scales would always catch on the fabric."

Yah, Me neither...
Jean smirks, the only thing he loved more than swiping a hand full off of an unsuspecting bystandard... was impressing others with just how good he was at it.

Keep your eyes open for another easy mark - we have to keep the money on the table flowing somehow rather than taking it from each other! He laughs and nudges Oro next to him.

Luccan
2019-05-27, 10:32 PM
Eldon scans the room, but he's trying to keep an eye out for their contact rather than Jean's next mark I do wish we could discuss something other than crime and gambling sometimes. His fingers begin to thud against the table and he mutters to himself. A moment later a small hand appears above the table and collects the cards from the round, depositing them where they belonged, before drawing and bringing him a new hand. It is something of a necessity, given the gnome's comparatively short arms to that of his fellows.

Hypersmith
2019-05-27, 10:44 PM
"Bah, the real fun is in jobs. Seeing a plan come together has a special sweetness to it."
He waves a hand in the air towards the gnome. "What do you want to talk about then? All I know is that I'm anxious to do something more than... this. And the opportunity is walking towards us, so it's on my mind."

Seanfall
2019-05-27, 10:45 PM
"Something other than crime and gambling..." Nadarr wracked his brains for a topic. "Well last week...no wait that's crime-related." The Dragon tapped a talon on the table as he pondered, "It's getting colder out. I suppose that means we'll see an influx of trade. Last minute sailors and caravans trying to make some coin before winter sets in and the river freezes." It wasn't much but it was the best he could do. "Last year around this time a trader showed up with some spices from down south. I hope he shows up again, those spices bring back memories."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-27, 10:54 PM
Eldon scans the room, but he's trying to keep an eye out for their contact rather than Jean's next mark I do wish we could discuss something other than crime and gambling sometimes. His fingers begin to thud against the table and he mutters to himself. A moment later a small hand appears above the table and collects the cards from the round, depositing them where they belonged, before drawing and bringing him a new hand. It is something of a necessity, given the gnome's comparatively short arms to that of his fellows.

Jean's face quickly shifts from a charming, playful smile...to a serious demeanor that cuts through the vibrant affect of the bar scene. He leans in to Eldon, his speech becomes soft, but piercing...and lowers to nearly a whisper.

My friend, I'll share something with you that a mentor whom I learned the majority of my trade taught me. He used to tell me, "Jean - never forget. No one suspects the man who's concern is stealing bread of killing the king"

He meets Eldons gaze for a moment, then his face shifts to a charismatic smile and a wink.

Luccan
2019-05-27, 11:10 PM
"Something other than crime and gambling..." Nadarr wracked his brains for a topic. "Well last week...no wait that's crime-related." The Dragon tapped a talon on the table as he pondered, "It's getting colder out. I suppose that means we'll see an influx of trade. Last minute sailors and caravans trying to make some coin before winter sets in and the river freezes." It wasn't much but it was the best he could do. "Last year around this time a trader showed up with some spices from down south. I hope he shows up again, those spices bring back memories."

The disembodied hand gestures to the Red Dragonborn There's something. I've been needing a few ingredients from the east for a project I'm working on. Supposedly there's a certain type of frog that regenerates vital organs.

Jean's face quickly shifts from a charming, playful smile...to a serious demeanor that cuts through the vibrant affect of the bar scene. He leans in to Eldon, his speech becomes soft, but piercing...and lowers to nearly a whisper.

My friend, I'll share something with you that a mentor whom I learned the majority of my trade taught me. He used to tell me, "Jean - never forget. No one suspects the man who's concern is stealing bread of killing the king"

He meets Eldons gaze for a moment, then his face shifts to a charismatic smile and a wink.

Eldon rolls his eyes Murdered any monarchs lately, Jean? Or have you just been knocking over bread carts? Some time ago he would have been off put by such a comment but spending so much time with the criminal element, particularly his companions, had taught him about posturing.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-27, 11:38 PM
T

Eldon rolls his eyes Murdered any monarchs lately, Jean? Or have you just been knocking over bread carts? Some time ago he would have been off put by such a comment but spending so much time with the criminal element, particularly his companions, had taught him about posturing.

...define lately He laughs and leans back, sipping on his drink.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 12:17 AM
The disembodied hand gestures to the Red Dragonborn There's something. I've been needing a few ingredients from the east for a project I'm working on. Supposedly there's a certain type of frog that regenerates vital organs.

"...Wait are you making the frog or is the frog the ingredient?" Nadarr was hoping it was the former rather than the latter. he had a sudden fantasy of throwing a jar full of frogs into someone's face.

astragalos
2019-05-28, 01:03 AM
https://i.imgur.com/N6BKC0e.png
Mikal Reshef (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1915652)
Djantosian Human Cleric of Cavarrash
AC: 18
HP: 63/63
Passive Perception: 17
Condition: Normal

"Not so fast, Nadarr," Mikal says, revealing three Red Dragons in his hand and scooping up the gold on the table. "Looks like the Scales were in my favor today." Three-Dragon Ante is always more fun with a little bit of secret divine guidance.

He sits back while Oro bounces an unwelcome patron and Jean Claude picks the unfortunate mark's pockets. They're doing their jobs, no need for him to bestir himself from his chair and his near-retirement. He suspects that won't last long, though, since Anat Al’Quiimn is about to meet them and she always brings trouble with her. But she's rumored to be close to the Shaar, so it's always wise to help her out with her little tasks.

"Sounds like this frog would be quite useful in your research," he says to Eldon. "Don't forget that Cavarrash will have His due, though. You might be able to work a deal out with Him for yourself, but don't let this frog fall into the hands of our enemies or those awaiting a visit by the Shadowbearers." His tone is nonchalant, as if he were discussing the weather with Nadarr rather than the knife's edge between life and death.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 01:47 AM
Nadarr was more annoyed that his hand had been beaten by Red Dragons than the fact he'd lost at all. "Now that's just twisting the knife." Nadarr gave a chuckle.

astragalos
2019-05-28, 02:15 AM

Mikal laughs along with the red-scaled dragonborn and agrees, "Aye, that's quite the irony, all right. The cards have a strange sense of humor." The Djantosian speaks as if the cards have a sentience of their own. Which to him, they do.

Luccan
2019-05-28, 02:20 AM
They're ingredients. Though it might be worth it to see if I can build one He shrugs at the Djantosian's warning. I keep my work close. And if Cavarrash has a problem with my research, there's a bit of a line.

astragalos
2019-05-28, 04:05 AM

Mikal laughs again at Eldon's response. "I got no problem with what you do, myself. And the Knife is just true to His nature, y'know? Doesn't really have problems with anyone, so to speak. Glad you're selective who you share your research with, though. It'd make things harder for the rest of us if anyone on the street could recover from a dagger to the heart."

"Where's Anat, by the way? She's late, again."

Hypersmith
2019-05-28, 04:13 AM
Khamuush is clearly vexed by the appearance of an Eben better hand than before, as indicated by his incredulously gesturing hand. "You sure it's Anat? Could be another. Besides, it's common petty politics to keep us waiting to remind us who's in charge."

"And Jean, if you get the chance to kill a non-hypothetical king, and I don't get to have a hand in it we're going to have some issues."

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 08:30 AM
Something other than crime... Oro muses. We could talk about boys, she says with a smile. I'd say men, but I don't think you get that title unless you can stand a chance against me in a fight. And no one in this bar-present company excluded, of course-fits that criteria.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 10:10 AM
Something other than crime... Oro muses. We could talk about boys, she says with a smile. I'd say men, but I don't think you get that title unless you can stand a chance against me in a fight. And no one in this bar-present company excluded, of course-fits that criteria.

Jean flips around his Cittern and begins strumming a delightful melody, slow and soft. He begins singing softly - to match the melody. The words, however, are in stark contrast - depicting the story of Oro, the man destroyer.

♫ The boys with their ale who seek her hand-they tend to fair so poor-oh. None compare, none have a chance, the Man-destoryer Oro... ♫

Jean grins and nudges Oro jokingly.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 10:42 AM
”That seems cruel for the frog. If it can regenerate organs you could keep harvesting it.” Nadarr gave a shudder at the thought. “If the cards have a sense of humor they could tell a few jokes for me. A winning hand would be very funny indeed.”

Nadarr rearranged his hand, trying to think when the conversation about mates started. “Eegh. The courting rituals of this city make no sense. Well Oro’s make a little at least.”

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 10:58 AM
As the conversation turns to the presence of a contact, the doors to the tavern swish open. A red-cloaked figure with a slight form saunters over to your table with purpose. When she gets out of eyeshot of the greater tavern, she removes her hood to reveal a sharp and angular set of Djantosian features, chillingly beautiful. Her hair, very thin and curly, is tightly restricted by ribbons and bands, giving her a no-nonsense look. She pulls up a chair and sits down.

"My name is Anat Al'Quiimn, as some of you are already aware." She looks at each of you very carefully. "I'll cut right to the chase, as time is of the essence. We have been made aware of... a situation. It involves a very specific coin in the hands of a Black Maw agent. We're going to need you to retrieve that coin for us."

"The agent carrying the parcel is a Svirfneblin by the name of Eresh B'drinkol. He is a known Black Maw operative, and his last known location was in the Crafter's Circle, moving towards Portside. You'll probably have the best luck intercepting him in the Great Market around the Northwest sector. Be careful- we don't know if he has reinforcements, or where exactly he plans on taking the coin."

She looks about to all of you. "I'm sure you have questions, but I'm not sure I have all the answers. Quickly, now, what do you need to know?"

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 11:20 AM
Anat shoots Jean Claude a death glare. "Now is hardly the time for such trivialities, but if you insist, then I'm sure one of your companions can fill you in." She turns back to the table. "So. What questions do you have for me?"

The ring is non-magical. The incredibly fine writing reads: "The might of Norixus burn ever-brightly."

(This poor man just wanted an anniversary present! What did he ever do to you?!)

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 11:25 AM
”What is a snifflebin? It sounds like a sneeze.”

*reads the spoiler about the ring, spittake*

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 11:50 AM
Anat shoots Jean Claude a death glare. "Now is hardly the time for such trivialities, but if you insist, then I'm sure one of your companions can fill you in." She turns back to the table. "So. What questions do you have for me?"

The ring is non-magical. The incredibly fine writing reads: "The might of Norixus burn ever-brightly."

(This poor man just wanted an anniversary present! What did he ever do to you?!)

Jean rises - Sorry! You know, when you gotta go...you gotta go! The team will fill me in in a few

Jean gets up and heads to the restroom.

Cast: Comprehend Language (Ritual) - Read the inscription on the ring
Cast: Detect Magic (Ritual) - check if the ring is magical

astragalos
2019-05-28, 11:55 AM

Despite Khamuush's doubts, their contact does indeed turn out to be Anat. "Hello, Anat," Mikal says in a respectful tone. "So the priority is retrieving the coin, eliminating the gnome is acceptable but secondary? What does this coin look like? And when you say last known location, how long ago was that? Are you tracking him right now with magic, or was this a while ago? What do we know about his skills and capabilities?"

As Jean Claude spends the next twenty minutes in the bathroom, Mikal begins to wonder if the thief is alright. Did he eat something rotten?

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 12:19 PM

Despite Khamuush's doubts, their contact does indeed turn out to be Anat. "Hello, Anat," Mikal says in a respectful tone. "So the priority is retrieving the coin, eliminating the gnome is acceptable but secondary? What does this coin look like? And when you say last known location, how long ago was that? Are you tracking him right now with magic, or was this a while ago? What do we know about his skills and capabilities?"

As Jean Claude spends the next twenty minutes in the bathroom, Mikal begins to wonder if the thief is alright. Did he eat something rotten?

"Correct, though I'd love for you to eliminate the little twerp if you could. The coin looks almost like a normal gold piece, but the markings on it are said to be different than a normal coin. We don't know much more than that, so use your best judgment." She leans back in her seat. "We had operatives see him in the Circle, and they're trying to keep a tail now, but he's slippery as an eel, so they're having a ball with that. Really, most of that we're saying is more prediction than fact. Anything could happen."

"And the little punk Eresh is just an impish little man with a few choice magic items that make him a liability. A cloak that lets him blend into shadows plus a short-range teleport makes him hard to pin down, and that little knife he has, what does he call it, Sliver..." her face is wrinkled in disgust. "Its a pitiful little toy, but a dangerous toy nonetheless. Just dispose of him and get the coin and I'll see that I can let you do about keeping whatever else he has, alright?"

Luccan
2019-05-28, 12:32 PM
”What is a snifflebin? It sounds like a sneeze.”

*reads the spoiler about the ring, spittake*

Svirfneblin. Deep Gnome. He turns to their contact Any identifying marks on him? We don't exactly get a lot of deep gnomes up here, but I'd hate to cause a scene stabbing the wrong person He eyes Jean's empty seat Or setting them on fire His gaze flicks to Nadarr

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 12:43 PM
"Not too remarkable, though the black velvet magic cloak and the knife that glows white-hot should be some giveaways."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 01:11 PM
Jean trots back from the restroom, chest out-chin up.

He jokingly mutters to the table, So, we taking this guy out or what?
Jean takes his seat. Does the mark have any known contacts, friends, or exploitable connections? Jean leans back and begins flipping a copper piece up and into his hand.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 01:16 PM
"He's an experienced thief," she growled. "We don't know any close friends or family. Besides, within a number of hours at most, he'll be gone and the coin will be in the hands of the Black Maw. How will you find the time to blackmail him by the en of the day?"

Hypersmith
2019-05-28, 01:30 PM
Khamuush inclines his head respectfully to Anat when she joins them, but makes no further moves. "Sounds like a clear cut job. We have an identifier, location, timeframe, and permission to use force. Sounds to me like we need to get moving and try to find out if he has reinforcements, then move to kill."

Time stretches as Jean is in the restroom. Khamuush greets him with a frown upon his return, but turns his attention to Eldon. "Got any way to stop him teleporting so we can pin him down?"

Luccan
2019-05-28, 01:36 PM
Khamuush inclines his head respectfully to Anat when she joins them, but makes no further moves. "Sounds like a clear cut job. We have an identifier, location, timeframe, and permission to use force. Sounds to me like we need to get moving and try to find out if he has reinforcements, then move to kill."

Time stretches as Jean is in the restroom. Khamuush greets him with a frown upon his return, but turns his attention to Eldon. "Got any way to stop him teleporting so we can pin him down?"

Eldon shakes his head I have a few things that can make it difficult for him to run and I have a spell that seems similar enough to his we can catch up to him if need be. Our best option is to hit hard and fast, though. I didn't really focus on anchoring in the Academy. I'll see if I can find a spell like that after the job, could be useful going forward.

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 02:34 PM
Will his teleportation get him out of a grapple? I'd assume yes, Oro asks, but if his trinket forces him to take someone that close with, I should be able to keep him locked pretty easily.

Outside that, I think the rest of the questions my friends have asked are sufficient. I'm ready to go.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 02:44 PM
If it's a trinket causing the teleportation there's not much i can do about it. If he's casting it, i can disrupt it. I also have magical means of disabling others. I'm sure we can handle it on the fly, lets head out.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 02:45 PM
Anat stares at you for a second. "So you think," she slowly replies, "that we've managed to tackle this little guy and just wait to see if he teleports away?" She scoffs. "If we ever got that close, he wouldn't have a a chance to leave. No!" She begins muttering to herself about how preposterous the request is.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 02:54 PM
Anat stares at you for a second. "So you think," she slowly replies, "that we've managed to tackle this little guy and just wait to see if he teleports away?" She scoffs. "If we ever got that close, he wouldn't have a a chance to leave. No!" She begins muttering to herself about how preposterous the request is.

Any recommendations on how to go about this? You seem to have been dealing with catching this little guy for a bit...

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 02:56 PM
Svirfneblin. Deep Gnome. He turns to their contact Any identifying marks on him? We don't exactly get a lot of deep gnomes up here, but I'd hate to cause a scene stabbing the wrong person He eyes Jean's empty seat Or setting them on fire His gaze flicks to Nadarr

Nadarr gives a fang-filled smile, "Few things distract a spell caster more than being set on fire." The Dragonborn takes a long drag off his pipe before speaking. "That name still sounds like a sneeze. Anyways if we can target the right one, I have a spell that can hold him fast. I can also turn two of our group invisible for a time to track him with a little more stealth. I can stay above the crowd with my broom so I can cast and move freely." It wasn't so much a plan as him just listing the things he could do if needed. "He's not the only one that can teleport too."

astragalos
2019-05-28, 02:57 PM

"Cavarrash has also gifted me the ability to paralyze and to nullify spells," Mikal says. "And as Jean says, we'll figure it out. Let's go." He rises to his feet and heads out the door.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a plan to me...

Jean stands up and leans over to Nadarr.

Hey, that patron Oro threw out that i lifted...He had this on him...
Jean shows Nadarr the ring.
It's in Draconic, does this mean anything to you?

Luccan
2019-05-28, 03:14 PM
Eldon nods to Anat We'll have the coin within your time frame. He follows his allies out, his feet carrying him a little faster than one would expect from a gnome. Once on the street, he reaches into the bag at his side and pulls out his dagger, strapping it to his side, as well as his component pouches. He whistles and an owl lands on his arm. Amadeus, we're looking for someone about my height and grey. Probably trying to remain inconspicuous he says and lifts his arm, allowing the familiar to take flight once more and scan ahead for their target.

I went ahead and assumed that a level 10 wizard would already have cast the Find Familiar spell if he had it (which Eldon does). An owl has +3 to Perception and advantage on those checks related to sight and hearing. Additionally, it has 120ft of Darkvision.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a plan to me...

Jean stands up and leans over to Nadarr.

Hey, that patron Oro threw out that I lifted...He had this on him...
Jean shows Nadarr the ring.
It's in Draconic, does this mean anything to you?

Nadarr was getting out of his seat to follow after Mikeal when Jean shows him the ring, Nadarr glanced at it then looked away, then his head whipped back around and he leaned in to make sure he wasn't seeing things. A ruby, flanked by two opals, brass. It was, it had to be. "The might of Norixus burn ever-brightly." Nadarr's hand was shaking as he carefully, gently took the ring. His pipe fell from his mouth and clattered onto the table. The Dragonborn stood up to his full height.

"This was my mother's ring, a family heirloom. The one who stole it also took her life." Nadarr looked back up to Jean, suddenly his molten eyes glow and the air around became much much warmer. "You took it from a drunk? Where did that filth go?"

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 03:30 PM
Nadarr was getting out of his seat to follow after Mikeal when Jean shows him the ring, Nadarr glanced at it then looked away, then his head whipped back around and he leaned in to make sure he wasn't seeing things. A ruby, flanked by two opals, brass. It was, it had to be. "The might of Norixus burn ever-brightly." Nadarr's hand was shaking as he carefully, gently took the ring. His pipe fell from his mouth and clattered onto the table. The Dragonborn stood up to his full height.

"This was my mother's ring, a family heirloom. The one who stole it also took her life." Nadarr looked back up to Jean, suddenly his molten eyes glow and the air around became much much warmer. "You took it from a drunk? Where did that filth go?"

Jean's facial expression quickly shifts.

Killed...your mother...?
Jean has made a living out of concealing his emotions, but his struggle is noticeable at this moment.

I can relate, Nadarr. Someone took my parents from me as well.

Jean leaned in, speaking quietly...personally... to Nadarr.

He went out the door, in an attempt to be inconspicuous and unnoticed...In turn, did not notice him - or, rather, what he looked like. There was a receipt, however. Looks like it's to a pawn shop where the man purchased it. My suspicion is that the patron is not...your man. I do think the Pawnshop could give us more information - but first we have a job to do. I will help you follow up on this afterwords. We will make this right.

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 03:32 PM

I would think that, had someone managed to get onto him, he might've teleported away. It's perfectly fine to not know something, Oro says, calmly, just like I should hope it's fine to ask questions. After all, you invited us to do just that.

I can move faster than any of you, and I can carry at least one other person to get there quicker. More, if Eldon's one of them, she adds. But, of course, I'm not the stealthy type. If we want the element of surprise, I can't go on ahead.

Quick Action lets me double Dash in a turn for 90' move speed.

Rest of y'all have 30' and 35', doubled by one Dash, although if Longstrider is cast on Eldon' he can keep pace with just one Dash.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 03:45 PM
Jean's facial expression quickly shifts.

Killed...your mother...?
Jean has made a living out of concealing his emotions, but his struggle is noticeable at this moment.

I can relate, Nadarr. Someone took my parents from me as well.

Jean leaned in, speaking quietly...personally... to Nadarr.

He went out the door, in an attempt to be inconspicuous and unnoticed...In turn, did not notice him - or, rather, what he looked like. There was a receipt, however. Looks like it's to a pawn shop where the man purchased it. My suspicion is that the patron is not...your man. I do think the Pawnshop could give us more information - but first, we have a job to do. I will help you follow up on this afterward. We will make this right.

"...You're right." Nadarr lets out a puff of smoke as he calmed, "I will...put this matter aside until after our job is done." Nadarr stares at the ring for a moment. "I am afraid I currently have nothing I can give you in trade for this ring that would equal its value. But I will repay you that I can promise." Nadarr nods at Jean, he barks something in Draconic and from the corner of the room his broom lifts up and flies to his hand. "Let's get this job done then. So I may resume my hunt."

Luccan
2019-05-28, 03:47 PM
Eldon pauses at Nadarr's wordsBy Draggarin's eye... If we had time... but seeing Nadarr ready to go, he nods. There's no way this sneakthief can match the six of us. Let's get this done.

Hypersmith
2019-05-28, 05:02 PM
Khamuush leans back to grab his glaive off the wall, the blade on the end of the pole wide and flamelike, with one clear, curved edge for slicing, and the other side undulating gently. It rests on his shoulder, joining the shield and scabbard he already wears on his lean, interconnected plate. He pulls from beneath his seat his signature helm, the narrow eye slit and vertical gap for mouth giving his voice a tinny reverb, but thoroughly obscuring his face. He watches Nadarr's frustration silently before he rises, tilting his head. "You've waited long enough already. One more day is hardly going to make a difference. It's good you're aware of that." Typical coldness shines in Khamuush's eyes. Few things are as important to him as the quarry once it is within reach.

I can move faster than any of you, and I can carry at least one other person to get there quicker. More, if Eldon's one of them, she adds. But, of course, I'm not the stealthy type. If we want the element of surprise, I can't go on ahead.

"I can move mostly silently, particularly with the help of something like invisibility. If you trail a little farther back Oro, you could use your speed to close the gap and begin assaulting him. I'm quite certain of my capability when it comes to locking him down - if I grab his arms to prevent movement, I can temporarily remove his ability to emit sound as well. He should be unable to cast spells then. If he can still escape that - he shrugs. "Then it will come down to a chase one way or another, and I trust in six over one."

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a plan, Oro says, and starts off at a jog.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 05:31 PM
Agreed. Lets move out.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-28, 07:09 PM
Any recommendations on how to go about this? You seem to have been dealing with catching this little guy for a bit...

“Just corner him if you can, but give ‘im the works,” she growls. “Now get out into the streets and hunt a rat.”

You get to the door and prepare to hustle out to the Great Market. What means of transport are you all using?

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 07:14 PM
Nadarr hops up onto his broom and hovers off the ground. ”I’ll cast invisibility when we get to the area. I’ll follow from above within earshot till then.”

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 07:20 PM
“Just corner him if you can, but give ‘im the works,” she growls. “Now get out into the streets and hunt a rat.”

You get to the door and prepare to hustle out to the Great Market. What means of transport are you all using?

Jean shrugs.
By foot, unless you have faster means for us to use?

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 08:06 PM
The cabs will work fine, Oro says, hailing one outside.

Once she's settled in, along with anyone who's joining her, she tells the cabby The Great Market, as fast as you can.

Hypersmith
2019-05-28, 08:14 PM
Khamuush settles quickly into the cab, apologizing as he has to lay the glaive across the knees of those present to get it in - or have the blade hanging out the window.
"We should invest in a cab of our own. Could be useful for when they aren't conveniently available."

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 08:17 PM
Oro scrunches up as best she can for her companions, trying to minimize the space she takes. While her natural agility is nothing special, she has had practice fitting into small spaces, and does a decent job giving space to the others.

Luccan
2019-05-28, 08:29 PM
Eldon climbs into the cab, sitting a little more comfortably than his companions due to his size. He glances at the glaive and holds open the bag at his side You know, Khamuush, you can stow it in here for our trip. Might make the ride a bit easier.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 08:43 PM
Jean reluctantly climbs into the cab...
This is...something...

JNAProductions
2019-05-28, 08:45 PM
Oro scoops Eldon up and deposits him on her lap. Hope you don't mind, Eldon, but we need the space. I promise to grab one of the others if I find myself in need of a weapon, she jokes.

Seanfall
2019-05-28, 08:54 PM
"You know I wondered how useful this broom would be when I acquired it...I think I was underestimating how useful you're own vehicle is." Nadarr hovered nearby, waiting for the cab to get going before he followed them from above. He cast prestidigitation and put a red star on the top of the cab so he could spot it from above. "It will only last an hour. Should be long enough."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 09:07 PM
"You know I wondered how useful this broom would be when I acquired it...I think I was underestimating how useful you're own vehicle is." Nadarr hovered nearby, waiting for the cab to get going before he followed them from above. He cast prestidigitation and put a red star on the top of the cab so he could spot it from above. "It will only last an hour. Should be long enough."

Jean watches from inside the crammed cab...

A flying broom...wish I'd have thought of that...
He mutters to himself in disappointment.

Hypersmith
2019-05-28, 09:19 PM
Khamuush looks reluctant to hand over his weapon, but with some awkward maneuvering that swings the blade car closer to the broom than need be, he manages to slide it into the bag. With a little more room, he offers a mocking smile up at Nadarr.
"Oops. I'll need that back once we're out of here, but I'll keep in mind how good a hiding spot that is Eldon."

Luccan
2019-05-28, 09:32 PM
Oro scoops Eldon up and deposits him on her lap. Hope you don't mind, Eldon, but we need the space. I promise to grab one of the others if I find myself in need of a weapon, she jokes.

The gnome stiffens as he's reseated, but he seems to accept it after a moment Err... well, if it's necessary I can put up with it. And please do use someone else as a blunt instrument, I'm sure we can find much thicker skulls than mine.

astragalos
2019-05-29, 01:42 AM
HP: 63/63 + 5 temporary HP

Mikal squeezes into the cab with the others. As they draw near the Great Market, he mutters a short prayer, "May the Knife draw blood from someone else," and feels a surge of extra energy fill his body. He doesn't question its source, but he knows that it will make any wounds he might take (hopefully none) hurt less.

Cast false life. Expended 1/4 first level spell slots, duration 1 hour. Temporary hit points: [roll0]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-29, 10:39 AM
As you all (save Nadarr, flying behind) climb into the carriage, one of you barks to the thoroughly confused and flustered cabbie "to the Great Market near the Crafter's Circle, fast as you can!" He immediately whips the horses and shoots down the cobbled streets. After a couple minutes of travel, he calls back to you all. "A trip 'cross town at full speed'll cost ya," he rasps. "7 gold fer the lot o' ya." (A typical cab ride from one district to another for 2 or 3 people is 5 or 6 silver.)

Just under a half hour later, two exhausted horses pull into the Great Market, and you all disembark rather slowly. Decide amongst yourselves who pays. As you're looking about the market, I'd like you all to make Perception checks, and if you'd like to do anything else now, please state such.

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 10:49 AM
[roll0]

Oro hands over the money. No sense arguing, or working out how to split the bill yet-they have a mission.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-29, 10:53 AM
Oro, across the market, you spot a small figure in a black velvet cloak scurry into an alleyway and press himself against a wall. Two figures dressed in the red and black of the Apex wander through the streets tying to find him, but it looks like they've lost the trail. You look back to him just as he turns to run down the alley. This entire scene is happening 100 or so feet away.

What would you like to do?

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 10:55 AM
Oro quickly relays the information to her companions, pointing out the figure. Move now to get him, or I'm moving myself and making a scene.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 12:20 PM
Oro quickly relays the information to her companions, pointing out the figure. Move now to get him, or I'm moving myself and making a scene.

Jean looks at the figure Oro has pointed out...

Perfect, I'll make a move. Get ready, guys.

Jean steps out of the car into the market, 100 feet opposite the figure on the other side of the market. Jean quickly moves a few feet, maybe 15, from the cab so as to draw attention away from the group. He turns, facing in-between his group, and the figure...

Jean pulls out his Cittern, and begins playing a lovely, upbeat, playful tune he's named Hotel Trollskull Alley

♫ Livin' it up in the hotel Trollskull Alley ♪ Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place) ♫, ♩Such a lovely face...♬

Jean tosses a tattered had on the floor with "TIPS" written on a small piece of paper stuck onto the brim visible by the crowd.

♫ Ready a room at the Hotel Trollskull Alley. ♪ Any time of year (Any time of year) ♩ You can find me heeeeere. ♬ Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Arabian Steeds. ♪ She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys ♪ That she calls when she needs. ♫ How they dance in the courtyard, sweeeeeet summer sweat. ♫ Some dance to remember. Others to forget. ♫

As he plays his sultry tune, people of the market find themselves enthralled by his performance. The air around Jean begins to appear...almost distorted.

A similar phenomenon takes shape in the air near the figure across the market. some blurry, but beautiful colors appear 5-10 feet in front of the figure, in an alley not particularly visible by the crowd who appears distracted by Jean. It disappears shortly thereafter.

Hypnotic Pattern: 3rd level Illusion
Range: 120 ft. Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a twisting pattern of colors that weaves through the air inside a 30-foot cube within range. The pattern appears for a moment and vanishes. Each creature in the area who sees the pattern must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature becomes charmed for the duration.

While charmed by this spell, the creature is incapacitated and has a speed of 0.

The spell ends for an affected creature if it takes any damage or if someone else uses an action to shake the creature out of its stupor.

Spell cast with my Instrument of the Bards as a spell-casting focus, giving the target DISADVANTAGE on his saving throw.

Wisdom Save, Spell save DC: 17

Jean looks at the party, and nods. Signaling them to take action - fast.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-29, 05:18 PM
Crowd: [roll0]
Eresh: [roll1]
While the crowd isn't particularly enraptured by the pattern, Jean Claude feels the gnome's eyes on the swirling pattern of color.

Hypersmith
2019-05-29, 05:30 PM
Spells were cast, and Oro and Eldon were already moving. Khamuush joins them, drawing his sword for use in the tighter space as he runs towards the alley.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 05:42 PM
Jean Claude keeps an eye on his companions, but continues to perform to keep the attention of the people in the market in hopes of a smooth operation.

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 06:58 PM
Oro quickly reaches the gnome, and deftly removes any trinkets or whatnot he has on him. Her hands reach everywhere without shame, but carefully-so as to not disturb him and break the spell.

Once he's had anything that might give him the upper hand removed, she bundles him up under an arm. Right-he shouldn't be able to escape now. Let's head back to the inn and see about interrogating him.

Luccan
2019-05-29, 07:51 PM
As he approaches, Eldon readies his own spell for when Jean's wears off. If he resists when the charm ends, Eldon simply says Be still as his spell is cast.

If the deep gnome proves to be a problem, I'm burning a slot to cast Suggestion. DC 17 Wisdom save. If he's fairly compliant, Eldon will hold off.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 08:10 PM
Jean finishes up his performance and bows before the crowd,
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week people, enjoy your shopping!
He picks up his TIPS jar and pockets whatever the bystanders contributed (if anything).

Jean inconspicuously leaves the lime-light, and heads over to the party. He leads them into an unoccupied alley.

Eldon - have counterspell ready. Oro, maybe let's tie him up, and stuff a sock in his mouth? I think without his magical items, which we've stripped him of, he wont be able to teleport away. If he tries, counterspell it...though without the use of his hands/mouth that may not be possible.

Jean looks at the charmed individual prior to the spell wearing off.

If need be, I'll Geas him. He'll talk, one way or another. Lets get him somewhere more...private. Can we tie him up and toss him in a Bag of holding, or a sack?

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 08:23 PM
Give me your sock, then, Oro replies, but does clamp her other hand firmly over the gnome's mouth.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 09:06 PM
Give me your sock, then, Oro replies, but does clamp her other hand firmly over the gnome's mouth.

Jean hands over his LEFT - Mark that, it's important - LEFT sock to Oro to use.

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 09:13 PM
Since the gnome is (presumably) struggling at this point, Oro, uncovers his mouth just long enough for Jean to jam the sock in, and then shifts him over so he can tie it tight. At least that stops the biting.

Hypersmith
2019-05-29, 09:20 PM
Khamuush moves deeper into the alley to join the other briefly. "Jean, have the decency to bring clean socks if you're going to go that next time."
He glances back over his shoulder to the busier alleyway outside.
"We should move back to the inn before trouble comes. Cabs won't keep cutting it. Put him in the bag, let Eldon ride with Nadarr on the broom back. We'll catch up with a cab."

Luccan
2019-05-29, 09:23 PM
He'll start to suffocate if we leave him in there more than 10 minutes Eldon points out, clutching the bag of holding If we have a sack and can bind him that will be better

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 09:54 PM
Khamuush moves deeper into the alley to join the other briefly. "Jean, have the decency to bring clean socks if you're going to go that next time."
He glances back over his shoulder to the busier alleyway outside.
"We should move back to the inn before trouble comes. Cabs won't keep cutting it. Put him in the bag, let Eldon ride with Nadarr on the broom back. We'll catch up with a cab."

Dirty socks just add to the incentive to talk. Jean says with a smirk.
Besides, I don't see many Apex members traveling around with extra mouth-socks, he laughed.

Jean took a moment, remembering the crammed cab ride to the market.
You know, i think i'll fly with them. Besides, it'll be good if the little bugger does put up some kind of fight to have me flying alongside with the ability to incapacitate him again. Where, exactly, should we take him?
Jean turns to Oro, Did you get the coin? What all did this little bugger have on him?

JNAProductions
2019-05-29, 09:55 PM
You say that like I plan on letting go, Oro says with a chuckle. I'll take the alleys back to the tavern. We're in no rush anymore-though it'd be best to avoid the guard. Not that we can't handle them... But they'd ask questions.

Hypersmith
2019-05-29, 09:58 PM
"Tsk. Three people are not fitting on that broom Jean. I've half a mind to buy a horse and saddle right now. I don't like sitting out here vulnerable."

You say that like I plan on letting go, Oro says with a chuckle. I'll take the alleys back to the tavern. We're in no rush anymore-though it'd be best to avoid the guard. Not that we can't handle them... But they'd ask questions.

"We're clueless on what backup he has. Now isn't the time to take chances."

Tallytrev813
2019-05-29, 10:23 PM
"Tsk. Three people are not fitting on that broom Jean. I've half a mind to buy a horse and saddle right now. I don't like sitting out here vulnerable."

"We're clueless on what backup he has. Now isn't the time to take chances."

Oh, i can fly... Jean smirks

Seanfall
2019-05-29, 10:29 PM
"We could always break his legs to ensure he can't run." Nadarr offered, he'd planned on using a spell to immobilize the gnome or making his allies invisible. But well the bard's spell proved more than enough in doing the job. "Bind his fingers as well, not all spells require spoken words."

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-29, 11:14 PM
After being stripped of his cloak and knife, the helpless little gnome listens in panic to your plans. As you’re discussing, you hear the familiar sound of brass armor clinking behind you as a a scrawny Crown looks down the alley at you all. “Now what’s going on here?” the man asks rather unconfidently.

Jean, you got [roll0] gold from the crowd.

Luccan
2019-05-29, 11:53 PM
Maybe we should confirm this is our mark? Could be a decoy. When the guard arrives, Eldon turns to him Friendly chat. Get back to your patrol. Eldon puts magic behind his words this time. They didn't have much to fear from an underfed Crown, but if he had friends...

Ok, this time actually using Suggestion. DC 17

Hypersmith
2019-05-30, 06:22 PM
"I suppose we could rid ourselves of him entirely if things go south. We only really need his belongings. The rest is a convenient bonus. In any case - lets move. I'm just not comfortable waiting around."

Seanfall
2019-05-30, 08:23 PM
"Our contact might want the pleasure of interviewing him herself." Nadarr leaned down to the gnome's level and took a long puff on his pipe, exhaling a breath of smoke directly in their captive's face. "Or we could just burn him down to some travel size ash." The Dragonborn smirked, "Kidding!"

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-30, 09:54 PM
[roll0]

The guard at the end of the alley struggles against the enchantment, but succumbs, his eyes glazing over as he walks away.

Tallytrev813
2019-05-31, 12:33 AM
Jean watches as the guard succumbs to the magical charm, turn, and walk away.
He smirks. Jean's always loved watching a situation get resolved with clever charm.

Jean turns to Eldon,
Nice. Very nice.

Jean looks over at the Deep Gnome, looks him up and down, then back at Eldon.
Eldon, you know what to do. Lets get this show on the road.

Luccan
2019-05-31, 02:50 AM
Jean watches as the guard succumbs to the magical charm, turn, and walk away.
He smirks. Jean's always loved watching a situation get resolved with clever charm.

Jean turns to Eldon,
Nice. Very nice.

Jean looks over at the Deep Gnome, looks him up and down, then back at Eldon.
Eldon, you know what to do. Lets get this show on the road.

Eldon grins Thank you. Alright people, time to get this show on the road. Too many prying eyes here. Someone'll need to get a hold of him, but he shouldn't be able to get very far. Have fun being a snail. So saying, Eldon takes a small cocoon from his bag, chanting and circling his arms as if wrapping something.

Another Wisdom save, DC 17.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-31, 08:13 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
(Gnome Cunning)

The small gnome’s eyes widen as the polymorph spell begins. However, the magic takes no effect on the figure, who struggles again to break free. Oro, roll to maintain grapple.

JNAProductions
2019-05-31, 08:15 PM
[roll0]
[roll1] for someone Helping, if he looks about ready to escape.

Edit: I'm going to assume that that 32 is sufficient.

Oro tightens her grip, and whispers Think very carefully about your movements if you don't want me to crush your ribcage. We don't REALLY need you-you're helpful to have, but if you're more trouble than you're worth...

Hypersmith
2019-05-31, 08:25 PM
Khamuush watches the escape attempt as he pulls rope from his bag to tie the foe up. "Lots of effort for one gnome."
As he finishes, he stands and draws his blade to raise it above his head, swinging down sharply to bring the hilt down onto the gnome's temple and knock him clean out. With a scowl, he sheaths the longsword and starts wrapping the rope around the now unconscious torso.
"Let's tie him up. I'll gladly haul him over my shoulder if you won't, Oro."

JNAProductions
2019-05-31, 08:53 PM
I can handle him, she replies. Let's take the alleys back to the tavern, she adds, and once the rope is securely affixed around the gnome, starts walking at a good pace through the back alleys.

Seanfall
2019-05-31, 09:12 PM
"Well all that happened really fast..." Nadarr added blinking at the failed escape attempt. "We should hurry out of this alley before any more guards show up."

SunderedWorldDM
2019-05-31, 09:20 PM
You knock the little fellow out cold, a small river of blood trickling from the impact site, and tie him up as you begin the trek back towards Trollskull. Everyone trying to evade the Crowns make me a Stealth check. If you’re going to do anything fancy (i.e. not traveling as a group back to Trollskull by the shortest route possible by remaining stealthy), speak now.

Seanfall
2019-05-31, 09:36 PM
Nadarr takes in a large puff from his pipe and breathed out a stream of smoke which enveloped Mikeal and Oro their bodies and possessions now wholly invisible. "That should make us a little harder to spot." Nadarr stuck to conventional methods of stealth so he could maintain the invisibility on his allies. He pulled his hood up and kept his broom close at hand. He figured flying out of the alley might attract attention, on the grounds that he'd done it before and it had attracted attention.

Twinned spell Greater Invisibility on Oro and Mikeal.

Cost 4 spell points

Stealth roll: [roll0]

Luccan
2019-05-31, 10:09 PM
Eldon presses his palm against his head as the spell fails Blast our bloodlines of course it didn't work... He glances up at his companions as they prepare to leave I hope you can maintain that long enough to avoid a scene. Shall we part ways and meet back at the Tavern? He awaits an answer, but slinks into the shadows himself.

Stealth [roll0]

Hypersmith
2019-05-31, 10:58 PM
With most of his belongings dump edible into the bag of holding and the trussed up gnome now taking their place, Khamuush pulls a hood up over his hood, and peers around the corner. He keeps one of the iron spikes, tucking it into his belt instead. "I'll put him under again if he gives us trouble. Just don't go losing the rest of my things."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-01, 12:11 AM
Jean Strums his Cittern,
So, we splitting up or what?

Seanfall
2019-06-01, 12:22 AM
"I'll stay with Oro, everyone else should go their separate ways."

JNAProductions
2019-06-01, 03:08 PM
Before Nadarr finishes his spell, Oro interrupts him. On second thought, now that he's knocked out, one of you carry him. And cast your spell on them-I'm a little too noticeable, even with magic assisting me.

Oro hands off the gnome to whoever volunteers, and adds I'll stay near-about 50' back.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-02, 01:11 PM
"I'll stay with Oro, everyone else should go their separate ways."

I'll sneak back, and keep an eye on you as we move.

Jean steps backwards into a shadow and begins mentally maping out a rout back to Trollskull Alley that will draw the least attention and likely lead to encountering the least amount of people.

Either way, lets get back...

Roll in OOC - Edited post

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-05, 09:45 PM
The goliath and Djantosian are cloaked in smoke, and when it clears they appear to have vanished. So too has your bard, who has cloaked himself so well that it takes even you a moment to realize where he has hidden himself.

You begin the hour-some trek home. To best avoid suspicion, you decide to cross across the Great Market, then cross down through Fool's Court. Taking back alleys the whole way, you evade Crown suspicion pretty easily.

After an hour or so, you waltz through the moderately crowded taproom and dive down a concealed back staircase into a small network of tunnels. You collectively find a small concrete cubbyhole with a lockable door and suspicious stains on the walls. Perfect for an interrogation.

As the gnome begins to come to, you strip him of h it d belongings and tie him to a chair. He struggles furiously.

If you're going to look through his possessions, make a Perception check. If you're going to take any precautions pre-questioning, speak now. Whoever will tie him down make an Int-based Sleight of Hand check.

Seanfall
2019-06-06, 12:48 AM
Nadarr, to be frank, wasn't the best when it came to forethought. As such he decided his time would be better spent going through the Gnome's things. In a rare act of precaution, perhaps born of a similar event going wrong the Dragonborn stepped back and with a flash of magic in his eyes and a red glow from his hand summons a spectral hand and uses it to sort through the Deep Gnomes things.

Using Mage Hand to go through his things from a distance.

Perception.
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2019-06-06, 09:41 AM
Oro takes the rope and, with some assistance from the others, deftly ties him.

When she sees Nadarr going through his belongings, she mentions You should do that in another room. Just in case he wriggles free, we can just leave the door locked from the outside and without any of his gear... She cracks her knuckles. I doubt he'll get far.

Intelligence (Sleight of Hand): [roll0]
With advantage, from Help (assuming that's allowed): [roll1]

Tallytrev813
2019-06-06, 10:51 AM
As Jean is well aware, and based on appearances, Oro is more-than-adept to tie up the gnome. After briefly assisting him, Good point, Oro. We'll take his belongings just outside the door here. Don't want him interacting with some magical object and causing chaos. Jean heads back with Nadarr to go through his belongings outside the door at the advice of Oro.

Passive Perception = 20, if applicable.

[roll0]

If help action is allowed (Adv from Nadarr): [roll1]

Jean looks over to Nadarr,
After we go through his things, i'll head over to interrogate him. Probably best I do the talking, we all know im the talker of the bunch Jean smirks. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for instances like this...

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-06, 09:16 PM
As Oro secures the prisoner, Jean and Nadarr rifle through what possessions. Chief among them are the velvet cloak, the magic dagger, a necklace with a small hourglass with wings on it, and a small leather coin pouch. As you open the coin pouch and rifle through the coins for anything remarkable, you find one coin that looks distinctively different. One side has a dragon’s head carved on it, while the other has what looks to be a small scale map of a couple of city blocks. Which ones, you can’t tell with a brief inspection, but there is a small glyph of a serpent cooked over one building.

As you take out this coin, you also notice a glowing glyph scribed into the leather on the inside of the pouch radiating some magical energy. If you’d like to investigate this further, make an Arcana check.

Luccan
2019-06-06, 09:30 PM
When Jean and Nadarr discover the coin, Eldon holds out his hand Let me see it. he gives the coin a quick examination, though he'll let anyone else with arcane knowledge weigh in on it

[roll0]

If Helped/Aided:
[roll1]

Tallytrev813
2019-06-06, 11:29 PM
When Jean and Nadarr discover the coin, Eldon holds out his hand Let me see it. he gives the coin a quick examination, though he'll let anyone else with arcane knowledge weigh in on it

[roll0]

If Helped/Aided:
[roll1]

Jean takes the coin back, Wait a second, let me have a look again...i was born on these streets, i may recognize this...

I'd like to closer examine the city blocks, keeping in mind my background Feature:

Feature: City Secrets
You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

My equipment also comes with "A map of the city you grew up in"

Jean pulls out his map of the city, Let me compare this coin to the city. Im sure i can find out where this is...

Jean then examines the bag it came out of, the dagger, the amulet, and the cloak...

Arcana Checks

Coin - [roll0]
Bag - [roll1]
Cloak - [roll2]
Amulet - [roll3]
Dagger - [roll4]

JNAProductions
2019-06-07, 11:33 AM
Oro waits patiently for the gnome to wake up. She stands just in front of him, in perfect position to loom menacingly.

Hypersmith
2019-06-07, 02:34 PM
Khamuush takes a seat in the interrogation room, kicking his legs out and leaning back in the chair. "We should probably get a mage in here. Gotta make sure he's not just talking because he wants us to stop."

Seanfall
2019-06-07, 03:31 PM
”We were tasked with retrieving the coin not deciphering it.”

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-07, 08:15 PM
Cloak: The cloak appears to have some sort of an invisibility property to it. What looks to be a command word is embroidered in golden thread inside of the cloak's lining over and over again: Illivillium.
Bag: The bag itself doesn't seem to have much of an enchantment, the rune was added after the bag's construction. The rune seems to be a tracker of kinds, and is drawn in a distinctly elvish style. It might be the signature glyph of an elvish spellcaster, you muse.
Amulet: All you can discern is that there's a limited teleportation effect connected to the amulet.
Dagger: The dagger, whose blade has the small dwarvish letters for "Splinter" carved into the white metal, appears to be a rather potent magic weapon with some relation to both cold and flame. It's strange, but those are the signals you get from the iconography and energies on the blade.
Coin: As you look at the coin, you recall an old city legend. You scratch at the surface of the coin with a piece of copper, and a small bit of gold leaf chips away to reveal the black underneath. This is the Obsidian Dragon. You know that the coin is actually a powerful magic item in its own right, and contains the consciousness of an ancient dragon who known the location of the Hoard of Aquinax, a large cache of gold reportedly hidden somewhere in the city. Of course, this was not Aquinax himself, who ruled as the city's second Magister during the conflicts of the Giant-Dragon Wars.

Looking at the city streets mapped out on the other side of the coin, you notice the shapes of the buildings around. Most of them are unusual, consisting of circular shapes and angled geometric shapes. You immediately realize that this must be in one of two quarters: the High City or Scholar's Court. However, as you're rarely allowed into High City, and your experience in Scholar's Court was legitimate as part of your education, you don't have much further of a clue.

The little gnome comes to, struggling a moment against his bonds. [roll0] The ropes easily restrain him. He looks down and shouts "Eresh, Eresh, go away, run to live another day!", almost expecting something to happen, but as he sees he's stripped of his possessions, he sighs and gives a defeated look. "Right. Not my first interrogation. You're not going to get much out of me, I'm afraid," he chortles conversationally.

Hypersmith
2019-06-07, 08:34 PM
Ignoring the gnome's struggles and bluster, Khamuush picks up an iron spike out of his pack, inspecting the pointed end.
"Hey Oro, do you have a hammer? It's easier than just pushing, but I can make do with either."
He makes no effort to raise his voice or give the prisoner special attention.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-07, 08:43 PM
Jean, outside of the room, speaking to Nadarr and Eldon,
This bag...it has some kind of Tracker on it...I think we should get it out of here. Perhaps someone who can move quickly (And fly?) should stash it somewhere? I think I should be involved with interrogating the gnome.
Jean empties the contents of the bag out.

Someone could be following us. Lets get this out of here now. As for the other stuff, we can split it up once were done here. For now, I'll hang on to the cloak. You guys take these.

He hands Nadarr and Eldon the Necklace, the dagger, the bag, and the gold.

You guys hold on to these. I'll hand this coin to one of our...larger...companions for the time being.

Jean heads back into the room. As he enters, he nudges Oro (to be sure Oro notices) and slips the coin into Oro's pocket.
[ROLL]1d20+11 - whoops, in OOC

Ah, good, you're awake. He says with a smirk to the gnome. Great. Just in time. You must be...Eresh? Is it? Did I pronounce that right? I suppose it won't matter relatively soon. Have you met my friend here? His name is Khamuush...

JNAProductions
2019-06-07, 09:43 PM
Ignoring the gnome's struggles and bluster, Khamuush picks up an iron spike out of his pack, inspecting the pointed end.
"Hey Oro, do you have a hammer? It's easier than just pushing, but I can make do with either."
He makes no effort to raise his voice or give the prisoner special attention.

I can get one-though if push comes to shove, I wouldn't mind working the hands again, she replies.

Luccan
2019-06-07, 09:56 PM
Eldon grunts in frustration at his own inability to figure out the magic items and nods as Jean leaves them the items.You've got that flying broom, Nadarr, so you should take the bag out. I'll hold onto the rest while the others interrogate our friend. Oh, here. He hands the dragonborn his strange rune-carved stone. That should make you a bit faster on the ground and in the air. Don't lose it, takes a while to make a new on. Bury the bag somewhere in-case we want to find out who made that rune later, maybe?

Seanfall
2019-06-08, 12:34 AM
Nadarr takes the satchel, "I'll fly it up and drop it somewhere in the city." The Dragonborn grabs up his broom and exits the hidden chamber, enters the bar proper and sneaks out. Hopping onto his transport he rose into the sky and flew away from the alley, looking for a sewer drain or some caravan or other to drop the satchel onto.

stealth
[roll0]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-11, 11:09 PM
Nadarr takes 10 or so minutes finding a suitable dumpster to put the pouch in while the interrogations proceed.

Eresh looks up with an almost bored look. "How about a deal? I answer one question, any, full honesty. If I don't know it, you can ask another. Then you let me go. If you give me my coin pouch with contents intact, I'll give you three."

Hypersmith
2019-06-11, 11:37 PM
Khamuush stands, and with little pause and less fanfare, positions a spike on the bound gnome's fleshy part of the calve, then leans his weight on it, driving the spike a little into the flesh. He's careful not to push it much beyond an inch. Need him alive at the end.
"First chance. You're not making demands or bargaining." His vice is calm and even. The card game elicited more emotion.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-12, 12:26 AM
Jean smiles sheepishly.

Look, you're only shot is to answer our questions. Now, you can do it before...or after my friend here turns you into a pin-cushion. If we know what we need, we won't have a reason to hurt you anymore, and you can be on your way.

[roll0]
Lucky Point used in OOC - 28

The coin, the one that's different - what is it?

JNAProductions
2019-06-12, 12:59 PM
Oro idly cracks her knuckles, staying quiet while Jean talks.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-12, 06:45 PM
The gnome's face becomes a mask of agony as the spike is driven in. He spits out a wad of blood and looks up at Jean. "Fine. I'll give you three questions, and as many as you'd like if you give me the purse. You're a slick negotiator," he chuckles dryly at Jean.

"To answer your first question, I wasn't told anything much about the target, simply instructed to secure it by the Maw in the same way I'm sure you were told to retrieve it by the Shaar. I secured it from a noble's vault, and I don't think they knew what it was either, given that it was mixed into the other coins so thoroughly that I spent an hour looking for it."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-12, 07:42 PM
The gnome's face becomes a mask of agony as the spike is driven in. He spits out a wad of blood and looks up at Jean. "Fine. I'll give you three questions, and as many as you'd like if you give me the purse. You're a slick negotiator," he chuckles dryly at Jean.

"To answer your first question, I wasn't told anything much about the target, simply instructed to secure it by the Maw in the same way I'm sure you were told to retrieve it by the Shaar. I secured it from a noble's vault, and I don't think they knew what it was either, given that it was mixed into the other coins so thoroughly that I spent an hour looking for it."

Jean winces...
A Nobles...vault, you say? Who, may I ask, is this Noble? And, furthermore, who sent you on this mission...specifically?

Jean's mind races. A nobles vault...a tracking glyph in the bag...did this little guy know what he was carrying? And was he being followed? Who's coin have we stolen...and for what purpose?

Seanfall
2019-06-13, 02:06 PM
Nadarr landed back in front of the tavern and made his way through it back to the others interrogating the gnome. Refilling his pipe he snapped his fingers ignite the herbs and took a few puffs. He stood nearby, nodding to the others in case he was needed.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-13, 06:08 PM
Jean winces...
A Nobles...vault, you say? Who, may I ask, is this Noble? And, furthermore, who sent you on this mission...specifically?

Jean's mind races. A nobles vault...a tracking glyph in the bag...did this little guy know what he was carrying? And was he being followed? Who's coin have we stolen...and for what purpose?

"That your second question?" The gnome laughs.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-13, 06:18 PM
"That your second question?" The gnome laughs.
Jean looks over at Khamuush and Oro, and gives them a subtle nod.

JNAProductions
2019-06-13, 07:37 PM
Oro calmly places one hand on the gnome's leg, and the other a little higher, on his chest. She begins to pull-not that hard, not at first. But she steadily ramps up the pressure, pulling harder and harder. You know, she says as it really starts to hurt, usually I don't get a chance to see what I can do to a living body. Most people resist a little too hard to let me try. But in this case, resisting is what's letting me try. So thank you, little man-keep quiet, and we'll see just what these muscles can do.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-14, 02:28 AM
Oof - that looks like it's going to hurt. Jean mutters to some of his companions in the room. Look, buddy. We don't want to just, you know, sit around pulling your body parts off. It's not exactly fun, and it gets messy. Why, I remember last time Oro pulled a guys right eye out... He begins to digress with a chuckle as he pats the hulking shoulder of his companion. Do you know how deep Vitreous humor stains are? Eye juice, I mean... Jean takes a dagger out of his belt and begins spinning it on the table, studying the blade closely...like an impatient teenager he lets out a sigh and appears disinterested for a moment. Look, if you could just answer the questions we ask directly we can avoid all this...well...this mess. I mean honestly, do you know what it costs to clean some of these pieces of clothing these days? Inflation, you know?

Luccan
2019-06-14, 02:45 AM
Eldon is turning a noticeable shade of green as he watches the proceedings and palms his Transmuter's Stone again, rolling it between his hands in an agitated manner.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-15, 11:33 PM
The gnome's expression loses its joviality. "Fine. If that's how we're doing things, you're getting nothing." He bites down on something unseen in his mouth, then his eyes roll into the back of his head as he begins to foam around the mouth. Seconds later, the tremors shaking his body stop, and he slumps dead in the chair.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 11:53 AM
...well, there goes that Jean shrugs. He sheaths his dagger and walks over to the body, examining him. Well, they wanted him dead anyway, I suppose. What should we do with the body?

Jean looks over to his companions.

Eldon, can you transmute him into something...or Nadarr...could toast him? We could always just sprinkle drugs on him, make it look like an OD...

Jeans disappointment was apparent, on full display between his facial expression and tone of voice. He loved situations where he had the obvious upper hand.

Either way, we got what we needed. I was in the bathroom, where were we to take this coin?

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 12:09 PM
Khamuush sighs in frustration as the gnome begins frothing. "Should have done that from the start. Idiot wasted our time." He wipes his spike clean and puts it away. "Toasting him should be fine. We can do that later though. Find what we're looking for in the pack?"

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 12:48 PM
Yah Jean turns his attention to Khamuush. He had the coin, I slipped it into Oro’s Pocket. For safe keeping.

Jean walks over to Eldon and Nadarr. He also had some other objects of interest...this cloak I’ve got seems to have some kind of invisibility property. There’s an Amulet that has some kind of teleportation property...some gold...and this enchanted dagger that has some kind of White hot properties, I don’t know how we should divide these up. I can make use of...mostly any of these items, particularly the invisibility or the teleportation, but who couldn’t? Do an of them speak to anyone in particular? Jean collects the items and lays them out on the table.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 05:06 PM
Damn, Oro says plainly. Well, this corpse is useless now, she adds, letting go.

As for the trinkets, she continues, I don't think I'll be needing any of them. Teleportation is interesting, but I'm fast on my feet without it. Invisibility might help shore up my lacking sneaking abilities, but my armor still clanks. And I have my fists.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 05:17 PM
I’ll just hang on to the cloak since I’ve been carrying it anyway, I’m relatively partial to hiding... He dons the cloak and takes a step back so as to allow the others to get a good look at the Dagger and Necklace.

Did we have some kind of rendezvous to deliver the coin?

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 05:21 PM
"Not that I remember. If Anat isn't upstairs, we can try to reach out to her. I don't think I care too much for a dagger. But teleportation could be just what I need. Give me a little more versatility."

Seanfall
2019-06-16, 08:55 PM
Nadarr drags the chair with the gnome off into the corner, he raises his finger but pauses. "Uh...maybe I should do this outside?" The smell of burning deep gnome probably isn't a pleasant thing. "That's if anyone minds?"

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 09:40 PM
Jean gives Nadarr the OK sign, Nah, torch him. I’ll snuff it out with Prestidigitation to remove the smoke and cover the scent with the regular smell of the bar. Should be alright I think... Jean was ready to be done with this deep gnome, after all that trouble to get him here...
Unless you guys think it’s a bad idea that is, I don’t see a problem with it.

Luccan
2019-06-16, 09:46 PM
Eldon has seemed stunned since the deep gnome took his own life. At the mention of Nadarr burning him though, his expression hardens and he turns to the door I'm getting a drink. the door slams as he exits and heads upstairs to cope.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 09:48 PM
On Eldon-to get a sense for how deep this runs.

[roll0]
Oro follows the much smaller man, not saying a word-not yet, at least.

Eventually, she asks Why? Why... Any of this? We didn't even do anything that bad. It was him. I'm not saying you're wrong, to not like this sort of life, but is it worth it? These people... They raised me. They're my family. The only family I have. But you? What drives you?

Oro's kinda thinking about Velgaudr now. She's never really questioned why she does it herself-family is family, after all.

Hypersmith
2019-06-16, 10:02 PM
Khamuush leans back to watch Eldon leave, and Oro shortly after. He comments after a brief pause."He's gonna have trouble if he's getting hangups over something this clear cut."

Luccan
2019-06-16, 10:28 PM
On Eldon-to get a sense for how deep this runs.

[roll0]
Oro follows the much smaller man, not saying a word-not yet, at least.

Eventually, she asks Why? Why... Any of this? We didn't even do anything that bad. It was him. I'm not saying you're wrong, to not like this sort of life, but is it worth it? These people... They raised me. They're my family. The only family I have. But you? What drives you?

Oro's kinda thinking about Velgaudr now. She's never really questioned why she does it herself-family is family, after all.

Eldon raises two fingers to the bartender and takes his seat at the group's table. He turns to Oro when she sits and is quiet a moment before responding I know it's strange to you. Probably to most of our group. But I never planned on any of this being part of my life... I have reasons to hate the Black Maw and in a fight, if it came down to it, I'd have killed him myself. But torture... And he took his own life. For what? The Maw won't remember him, except as a failure. As much as you might not understand my side of things, I have as hard a time understanding yours. Would your family mourn your loss? Will his? He seems sincere in his question, but continues My research is the only reason I'm here and it's the only reason I'm staying. My family has ties to yours, but I'm here because... Well I suppose it is for family. Or I hope it to be some day. Suffice to say someone I love needs my expertise to save her. Once I can, I don't want to hear about the Apex for the rest of my days. When the drinks are served, he sips at it quietly, engaging the dirt on the table in a furious staring contest.

JNAProductions
2019-06-16, 10:33 PM
Oro seems poised to talk, but chooses not to. As the minutes wind on, she seems to fall deeper and deeper into thought.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-16, 10:47 PM
Once they finish up in n the back room, Jean heads out and joins the group at the table. He takes a moment after ordering a drink to collect his thoughts. He gives Eldon a long look, for once without a facade or anterior motive, it was a rare moment of honesty for Jean.
Eldon, I see that bothered you. My apologies. In truth, while I may enjoy the “game”, so to speak, Im not particularly enamored with how that ended either - but it was necessary. He had seen our faces, heard us speak to each other. He could name us to the Maw, and he wasn’t particularly concerned with cooperation. Jean takes a moment, has a sip of his drink, and let’s out a long exhale. You may not particularly agree with those methods, and I can respect that, but my experience has been that if you don’t do what’s necessary you lose those close to you. I’m sure we can try not to put you in that sort of situation in the future, but you may be able to find some semblance of comfort knowing that we’d do the same to protect you if need be.

He takes another sip. Or, perhaps I’ve become the monster I hate. Who can say - it’s all perspective I suppose. In truth, the Maw would likely have ended the deep gnome for losing the coin either way, though I suppose that isn’t justification.

Jean looks over to Oro,
For now, we have to stick together. Watch out for each other, like family.

Luccan
2019-06-16, 10:58 PM
Eldon is unresponsive for a moment,but eventually he looks up from the table and glances to both Jean and Oro. He lifts his drink to them, his discolored fingertips drawing more attention to the motion and nods.

I know he couldn't be allowed to tell anyone about us. I just don't like what happened. So, this.

Seanfall
2019-06-17, 01:16 AM
Nadarr waited for the others to leave before he turned back to the gnome. A spell to start a blaze would take to long, the Dragonborn held his pipe out to the side before opening his maw wide and unleashed a gout of flame from his mouth scorching the body from point blank range. Any discernable features would be fried from the start and the fire would char the rest. After the deed was done he too came out of the back room and sat at the table in time to catch the end of Jean's speech.

"They'd have done the same to any of us. I'd have preferred a different outcome. But I suppose there is something to be said about dying on your own terms."

The scaled sorcerer sat his pipe down and picked up a flagon of ale, downing the cool beverage. Fire breathing didn't hurt him, but it always left an ashy taste on his tongue. Liquor helped wash it away. Nadarr reached into his robes and removed the ring Jean had pickpocketed earlier, by fate it would seem. He stared into the gems before closing his fist around it.

"Not everyone gets to decide how their life ends."

Hypersmith
2019-06-17, 11:05 AM
Khamuush quietly joins the rest at the table. He doesn't join in the slew of comments towards Eldon, instead choosing to pull out one of his iron spikes. With a squeeze of his hand, it vibrates gently, and he listens to the others with narrowed eyes, his helmet beneath his chair once more.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-18, 10:37 PM
As your conversation winds into awkward silence, a familiar Djantosian assassin saunters to your table. "That didn't take long. What have you got for me?"

Seanfall
2019-06-18, 11:48 PM
Nadarr pushes his pipe to the other side of his mouth with his tongue. "A charred body, a lot minor magical items, and a very odd coin." The Sorcerer sighed, "His satchel had a tracking spell upon it. Had to ditch it, aside from that. I wasn't present at most of the interrogation so I can't say."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-19, 03:35 AM
He killed himself before we got any shot at an interrogation

Jean sighed.

Must be because of the coin he was carrying...

Hypersmith
2019-06-19, 05:56 PM
Khamuush focuses on trying to balance the iron spike as he speaks. "Now what have you got for us? This coin is apparently worth a couple lives at least. Why's that?"

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-19, 11:32 PM
"That's on a need-to-know basis," she snaps. "Now, do you know anything else? How did he get that coin? And where's that glyphed bag now?"

Seanfall
2019-06-19, 11:42 PM
"We have the coin," Nadarr coughed before answering the next part of the question. "They uh...bag? Did you want it? Cause I just flew over the city and gave it a toss. Didn't want whoever was following it tracing us back here."

Tallytrev813
2019-06-21, 08:50 AM
Jean considers the questioning for the moment.
Yah, we ditched the bag - seemed dangerous. Why do you ask?

Luccan
2019-06-23, 08:29 PM
It's purpose was clearly to track the holder, either to ensure he kept up his end of the bargain or to find anyone who stole. A skilled diviner might be able to locate it again, but it doesn't seem like much of a loss Eldon offers with a shrug, still working his way through the drink.

JNAProductions
2019-06-24, 10:04 AM
Oro lets the others handle the talking, seeing nothing she needs to add.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-24, 11:06 PM
"I'm glad you disposed of it. Do you have any clues as to who put it there? Was it a Black Maw mage?"

Seanfall
2019-06-25, 12:56 AM
"It was an Elven glyph...right?" Nadarr looks to his companions for confirmation. He's pretty sure it was, never hurts to ask though.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-25, 10:16 AM
The glyph appeared to be of Elven origin... Jean agreed. He had spent quite a bit of time studying magic - the College of Lore often sought information concerning powerful magic items or sources of magic in areas and depended on Jean to scout, retrieve, or even steal such items. He had seen similar glyph inscriptions in the past, and was able to make a cautiously-confident interpretation of the Glyph as of the tracking type when they originally discovered it. I've seen similar styles before - i agree with Nadarr. Is APEX aware of any major players for the Maw that happen to be Elven spellcasters? He took a sip of his drink as he mused, and glanced around the room. While they had gotten rid of the bag, it's was sure thing that the ones who had placed the glyph hadn't arrived at the tavern in time to see his companion leave with the bag to dispose of it, deducing that the group who soon after came from the back room had stolen the bag. Jean had learned hypervigilance had it's uses, and always tried to keep an eye on the crowd.

Just in case needed:

Arcana (concerning the glyph/bag): [roll0]
Perception (concerning those about the room): [roll1]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-25, 11:06 PM
Anat looks to Jean. "Elvish mages are a dime a dozen. Really, that information gets us nowhere fast."

As Jean tries to think back about the glyph while casting his gaze about the taproom, his perceptive abilities take precedent over his memory. He scans the room and notices no particular suspicious parties. However, the air seems electric with unease, as if something is about to happen.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-25, 11:52 PM
Jean's hair stands up a little. His hand reaches back and pulls his Cittern around to the front from the strap around his shoulder. He places a hand briefly on Oro's upper arm to attract his attention, and shoots Khamuush a look. ...somethings not right He starts. Jean couldn't put his finger on it, but the unease had overcome his instinct.

To Oro, 1d10 towards an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw.

Not sure how cutting words works on the forum - typically the PC gets to see the Die roll without knowing the modifiers and without knowing whether the attack hits/misses, and then can decide whether to use it.

So, I'll just say if an attack roll happens and the base roll is 13-16 then I'd like to use it to subtract 1d10 from the roll

Seanfall
2019-06-26, 01:25 AM
Nadarr eyed Jean, and under the table, his hand began to weave the signs he'd need for a spell. Most of his damaging spells were too...well destructive to unleash in the close confines of the Tavern he'd have to rely on his smaller or more defensive spells. "I think it's about to get warm in here."

Readied action: Cast Mirror Image.

Luccan
2019-06-26, 01:37 AM
Seeing his allies unease, Eldon's hand falls to his component pouch. With practiced ease he selects a piece of cured leather and presses it against his opposite arm, while his free hand contorts in arcane gestures under the table.

Casting Mage Armor on myself at the first sign of trouble.

Hypersmith
2019-06-26, 04:46 AM
The iron spike falls into Khamuush's palm. It whines gently - if there were wizards about, they would have a bad day in an area this confined. He keeps his wits about him, his eyes scanning the crowd quickly, resting on each conversation for a word or two, particularly those that would happen to look towards the meeting group.
lip reading using observant, trying to pick up on where the danger could be coming from.

JNAProductions
2019-06-26, 09:14 AM
Oro looks around, appraising the situation.

[roll0] Insight, to see if I can spot anyone acting out of character or hostile.
[roll1] Perception, just in case.

And can I ready an action to interpose myself in between an ally and any given attack? Just bodily protect them.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-26, 10:25 AM
Jean hastily slides Oro the cape under the table, Here... he whispers If you get a chance...to scout around...this may be helpful. We may not know it's properties yet, but it seems to camouflage.

Jean sheaths the magical dagger they found, hand ready on his Cittern.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-27, 11:29 PM
A large sound echoes from the alley beyond as a crimson flare lights outside the window, cracking it inward. People begin to scream, some going out of the tavern to try and see what happened while others dash in to try and presumably escape whatever's going on outside. Among them, Jean notices a rather plump noble dressed all in white dash inward with a look of distress on his face.

Oro sits up and interposes herself in front of the table towards the door. Eldon makes himself arcane armor. Those are the only real effects triggered by the explosion outside.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-28, 09:28 AM
Jean takes a few steps towards the commotion, and attempts to look out a window.
He turns to the noble, helping him regain his footing (and gauging the weight of the liftable valuables on him), What in the world is going on out there?

JNAProductions
2019-06-28, 10:19 AM
Carefully, Oro pokes her head outside, trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

Seanfall
2019-06-28, 12:08 PM
Nadarr stays where he was scales still on edge. ”What’s happening out there?”

Hypersmith
2019-06-30, 12:02 PM
Khamuush rises, helmet on head and sword drawn. He spins the blade between his hands. making sure he is familiar with the weight. He looks to the others with silent question.

Luccan
2019-06-30, 12:45 PM
Eldon reaches out mentally to his owl familiar, taking the moment to observe the outside through Amadeus's eyes to gain some clue as to what's happening outside.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-30, 02:38 PM
Amadeus, perched on top of the tavern sign, sees people trying to dash away from a tipped carriage with a large scorch mark in the ground next to it. The horses attached to the carriage are trying to be calmed unsuccessfully by the driver, and on the other side a pair of nobles are trying to escape the car, though Amadeus doesn’t have a good line of sight to them from his position. Oro sees just about the same, and communicates such to Nadarr.

Meanwhile, Jean is taking to the distressed-looking noble in white. Make an investigation check to look for valuables as he brushes himself off. “An explosion knocked my carriage over, he says as he starts to make his way across the room.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-30, 07:59 PM
As the noble man clumsily stumbles by, Jean takes it upon himself to attempt to swipe his gold pouch. Those close to Jean knew he had some kind of history and particular motivation to swipe things from nobles when given the chance...but most aren't quite sure why.

[roll0]

Jean then watched as the man took off out the back door and away from the commotion with a smirk. Sorry about your golden carriage... he thought to himself.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-06-30, 09:32 PM
As you watch, he doesn’t leave the back door, he instead goes to the basement door and surreptitiously enters it in the confusion. And as you look to the coin pouch in your hands, it fades into black smoke.

Meanwhile as Oro and Amadeus watch, a distressed and plump noble dressed all in white finally emerges from the overturned carriage...

JNAProductions
2019-06-30, 09:37 PM
Oro runs back into the room and after the retreating form of the "noble". We've been had! He's a double!

Tallytrev813
2019-06-30, 09:47 PM
As Jean swipes the coin purse and watches the man trail off he smiles to himself...but that smile quickly turns to frown as the coin purse disappears in a cloud of black smoke.

Jeans eyes widen. And as he looks up he notices the man heading to the basement.

Just then, Oro runs up confirming his suspicions. He nods, We have to keep you safe, specifically.

Jean turns to his companions.

We have to act. Now. Quickly. That clumsy nobleman is no nobleman. He's disguised, and he just headed to the basement, you know, the basement we just interrogated our friend in. We need to move, or prepare to ambush him upon return...

And with that, Jean strums a particular note on his Cittern...and disappears.

Action - Cast Invisibility (Free cast once a day inherent in my Instrument of the Bards.

JNAProductions
2019-06-30, 09:49 PM
Oro, quite heedlessly, rushes back into the basement, scooping up a chair in her hands on the way down.

Luccan
2019-06-30, 09:54 PM
Eldon's eyes focus on the room again. He sends a mental command to Amadeus to circle and watch the exits and then is on his feet. Blast it! He quickly follows Oro, ready to cast should the need arise.

If he should spot the double, the plan is to cast Slow on him

Tallytrev813
2019-06-30, 10:14 PM
At the sight of the pair running down to the basement, Invisible Jean follows close behind.

Hypersmith
2019-06-30, 10:17 PM
There's only one path out as far as he was aware. And with the majority running, Khamuush takes a calming breath and closes the tavern door, shouting out to the leaving Eldon. "Have your owl tap on the window if something is wrong outside. Have it flap if you need me downstairs."
He stands with back to the now closed door, weapon in hand, watching carefully for further signs of deception.
[roll0]

Seanfall
2019-06-30, 11:11 PM
Nadarr took up a spot next to the basement entrance, those three should be able to handle themselves, and again his spells weren't suited to enclosed spaces. His fingers twisted and he whispered in the space between them sending a Message to Jean.

"I'm staying near the entrance, I have a spell to stop them if all else fails."

Tallytrev813
2019-07-01, 10:11 AM
Gotcha. I have a bad feeling about this...

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-04, 03:33 PM
As you descend down the stairs, you see the “noble” rooting through the possessions of the deep gnome that were left after the burning, before grabbing the key. With a devilish gleam in his purple eyes (that were not purple before), he snaps his fingers as a cloud of oily black smoke obscured him. Unless anyone has anything to say about it, he has teleported away with the coin.

Luccan
2019-07-04, 03:38 PM
As you descend down the stairs, you see the “noble” rooting through the possessions of the deep gnome that were left after the burning, before grabbing the key. With a devilish gleam in his purple eyes (that were not purple before), he snaps his fingers as a cloud of oily black smoke obscured him. Unless anyone has anything to say about it, he has teleported away with the coin.

Hold! Eldon's fingers flash in arcane gestures as he sees the man begin to cast

[roll0] vs 10+spell level

JNAProductions
2019-07-04, 07:54 PM
Oro rushes forward, heedless of the man's words, and grabs him, knocking him down with her hands on his wrists, one foot on his back.

I would advise you start talking-and think very carefully about what you say. Try any more funny business, and it won't end well.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-05, 10:30 AM
Jean enters the room. His invisibility fades. He finds himself standing directly in front of the intruder, intentionally meeting his gaze. Jean begins to strum his Cittern, holding the attention of the noble...
♫ Who follows the words of strangers that pass, ♭ dancing and lying and wearing a mask. ♪ Those who must trust have difficulty, ♩ but with comfort the man places his trust in me. ♬

Drop concentration on Invisibility.

Cast: Dominate Person
You attempt to beguile a humanoid that you can see within range. It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be Charmed by you for the Duration. If you or creatures that are friendly to you are fighting it, it has advantage on the saving throw.

While the target is Charmed, you have a telepathic link with it as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence. You can use this telepathic link to issue commands to the creature while you are conscious (no action required), which it does its best to obey. You can specify a simple and general course of action, such as Attack that creature, Run over there, or Fetch that object. If the creature completes the order and doesn't receive further direction from you, it defends and preserves itself to the best of its ability.

You can use your action to take total and precise control of the target. Until the end of your next turn, the creature takes only the Actions you choose, and doesn't do anything that you don't allow it to do. During this time you can also cause the creature to use a Reaction, but this requires you to use your own Reaction as well.

Each time the target takes damage, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.

=============================================

Regarding Dominate Person: Target gets Disadvantage on being charmed by me (Instrument of the Bards), but he has ADVANTAGE if we are "Fighting it". So those may cancel out to a normal roll?

WISDOM SAVE - Spell Save DC 17
=============================================
*Readied Reaction - Cutting words: If the target should, for whatever reason, make some kind of attack roll, or ABILITY CHECK (Against grapple) and the BASE ROLL (Without modifiers) is 12-16, then i'd like to use cutting words...
which means, Roll 1d8 and subtract this # from the roll.

*I also have counterspell, fyi, that i'd like to keep an eye out for.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-06, 01:56 PM
The figure in the guise of the noble struggles under Oro’s grasp. Meanwhile, Jean attempts to charm the individual.

[roll0]

Jean establishes a mental link with this creature, who you can tell is clearly not who they say they are. You can sense that they are maintaining an illusion in their mind.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-06, 05:30 PM
HALT! Stop struggling!

Jean commands the Noble. Oro, I'm going to take control of him for a moment, I'll empty his pockets and drop anything he's got, then cooperate with you binding his hands/feet.

Jean then infiltrates the Nobles mind, and does so.

Take control of the Nobles mind for 1 minute and do as indicated above.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-07, 05:15 PM
The figure begrudgingly drops the cane, which dissolves into smoke. Then the figure removes the disguise. As another cloud of oily black smoke pours off their body, the form of the noble in white is gone. In its place is an androgynous-looking half-elf with black hair pushed to one side of their head, the other side nearly shaved to the scalp, Their skin is lavender in color, and their eyes are the crystalline purple typical of the drow. Their armor is in a drow style, and is similar to the stuff that your average member of the Shadowbearers would be wearing- light and supple leather to allow for range of motion and silence in movement.

After you tie them down in the same interrogation room you used with the gnome just before, the spell narrowly wears off just as you get them tied. They begin to struggle, attempting to cast spells to escape, but your bounds confound them as they look up to you with a look of rage. "Let me free or my master will make your lives miserable," they hiss.

Meanwhile, as Khamuush stands at the doorway, the real noble in white knocks on the door, peering in through the window. A muffled "Hello?" reaches your ears.

JNAProductions
2019-07-07, 05:28 PM
Oro sighs. That'd mean a little more if we had any indication as to who your master WAS. As it stands, you seem... Competent, vaguely. But certainly no threat.

Seanfall
2019-07-08, 01:03 PM
Nadarr decides to send another message spell to Jean to check on the situation. As he's casting he gives Khamuush a look and sees the real noble knocking on the door. The Dragonborn sighs and whispers his message to Jean.

"What's going on down there? Are you alright need backup?"

After it's sent he looks back to the door. "Khamuush, I think the man wants a drink."

Hypersmith
2019-07-08, 01:47 PM
Khamuush in his armor and helm ignores the noble for the moment, speaking instead to Nadarr.
"Situation is nasty enough without letting another potential problem inside. I doubt whoever ran down there cares enough for the noble for us to use him anyway."

Tallytrev813
2019-07-08, 02:42 PM
Man down here was not the Noble - was some kind of spell casting thief after the coin. We have him tied up and about to interrogate...again.

Seanfall
2019-07-08, 09:02 PM
"As you say, they discovered that guys duplicate was some kind of spell caster. Their about to begin an interrogation...another interrogation."

Tallytrev813
2019-07-09, 10:32 AM
As the group awaits the mans answer, Jean leans to Oro...He's gotta be a member of the Maw, right?

Jean begins ritual casting Detect Magic while Oro questions the man.

JNAProductions
2019-07-09, 10:41 AM
Oro nods. Most likely. But let's let him tell us.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-20, 02:02 PM
“Excuse me, but I prefer they,” the figure spits with malice. “And I’m not with the Maw, or any other petty guild. I serve someone far mare important!”

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 05:50 PM
Progress, Oro comments. Keep talking, then.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-20, 10:57 PM
“Why would I? My master will send another to get me, or to finish my task if I am incapacitated. I’ll tell you nothing!” The figure cackles in mad delight.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-22, 11:53 AM
Oh, I'm sure he will. Jean looks around, exaggerating his body language. Do you see anyone, Oro? I bet they're on they way for certain. Jean says facetiously. Listen, you can tell us who you are now, or we can make you tell us who you are like we did to the gentleman we took the object of your desire from. Notice he isn't walking about.

Depending on what the DM wants:

Persuasion - [roll0] (if this is used and is a bad roll, Lucky point = [roll1])

Intimidation - [roll2] (if this is used and is a bad roll, Lucky point = [roll3])

*Edit: I'll be using the luck point on either roll, i removed deception because that wouldn't make sense to me.

Hypersmith
2019-07-24, 10:04 PM
"As you say, they discovered that guys duplicate was some kind of spell caster. Their about to begin an interrogation...another interrogation."

"Sounds fine to me. I'll stay up here in case of any funny business. Having you for the messages and potential backup is appreciated."

Seanfall
2019-07-25, 12:10 PM
"Most of my interrogation techniques involve burning of some kind. Not exactly the best when you want your subject to be able to talk."

JNAProductions
2019-07-25, 09:50 PM
Oro looks the humanoid up and down. Well, let's start easy, she says. She takes one of their shoes off, and tosses it to the side. Won't need this, she comments, before grabbing their big toe and breaking it, painfully.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-27, 07:02 PM
The half-elf howls in pain, throwing their head back. “Fine. I serve the Archmage of Xirn’Kahr. Is that what you wanted to hear?” They spit out their words like poison, every word dripping with malice.

If you’re paying attention to the half-elf, please make a Perception check vs. the roll below.
[roll0]
The half elf presses their fingers backwards to a tattoo on their left wrist that looks almost exactly like the one on the bottom of the coin pouch. It begins to glow subtly.

JNAProductions
2019-07-27, 10:02 PM
I can't make that roll no matter how hard I try.

But, Insight: [roll0]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-07-27, 10:12 PM
The half-elf is being reserved about the information they share, but up to this point has not actively lied to you all.

Tallytrev813
2019-07-29, 12:27 PM
Jean watches as the half-elf begins to talk.

[roll0]

Edit! HA!

Tallytrev813
2019-07-29, 12:30 PM
Jean notices the Half-Elf pressing on a tattoo. He grabs his hand, preventing the Half-Elf from pressing on the tattoo any further, and turns to Oro, Sh*t! Oro, isnt this the same symbol from the bag, the tracking symbol?

Jean sticks his head out the door, Be on guard! Another tracking symbol!

Luccan
2019-07-29, 12:58 PM
Eldon's eyes widen and he nods I'll check with them upstairs! I'm more good to you there any way. He pauses as he leaves the room They're using the same tactics. Check they're mouth so we don't... get a repeat. He leaves and runs up the stairs. As the gnome catches his breath, he explains to their allies Our new guest seems to have some sort of tracker. Be ready.

Seanfall
2019-07-30, 09:31 PM
"Grand." Nadarr straightens his posture and cracks his neck, he refills his pipe and takes a fresh puff snorting smoke out of his nostrils. "It's been a little boring." the Dragonborn flashes a fang-filled grin to the gnome.

Hypersmith
2019-08-01, 07:38 PM
Khamuush gives his weapon a twist, testing the weight with a practiced hand. "Let them come."
It's hard to read his expression with the helmet on, but the hard edge to his voice makes clear he's looking forward to a fight.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-08-02, 11:24 AM
Upstairs, the real noble in white has stopped banging on the windows with his cane and instead turns to a nearby member of the watch to angrily explain the situation. The guard's eyes slowly drift towards the tavern as the noble talks.

Meanwhile, the figure downstairs howls with laughter as Jean restrains them. "It's too late!" they cackle. "My master has sent someone- or something- already!"

Tallytrev813
2019-08-03, 03:18 PM
Jean listens to everyone’s responses, annoyed by the reckless abandon of the captive. He pulls out his new found dagger, examining it carefully as he walks past Oro towards the back of their captive. He mentions, Well, I suppose we don’t have much use for this one...though, I am curious about this dagger... he mentions as he walks.

Jean takes a few steps behind their captive, shooting a confident glance to Oro. This one seems more trouble then he’s worth he states, as he drives his new found dagger in an upward motion from the mid back, lateral edge, toward the mid section puncturing his lung. May be difficult for you to cackle like a buffoon with a collapsed lung, unfortunately... he states as he studies the daggers effects.

He turns to Oro. best we rejoin the others to face what’s to come. This one is a loose end we need not leave untied.

Hypersmith
2019-08-06, 01:31 PM
Khamuush peers out at the guard being spoken to, tilting his head at Valafar and Eldon then opening the door and stepping outside briefly.
"Bit of a mess indoors at the moment. We're closed for the rest of today at least."

SunderedWorldDM
2019-08-13, 03:54 PM
The guard looks suspiciously for a moment, then leans back. "Alright then," he says, brushing the noble aside.

As you look outside, you see a hooded figure up on a roof on the opposite building. The figure, clad in purple velvet turns away to flee just as the noble in white harrumphs and begins to walk away.

Luccan
2019-09-03, 04:32 PM
Let me take a look outside Once again, Eldon casts his mind to Amadeus to look around the inn for anything of note.

As and Owl, Amadeus has advantage on perception checks for hearing or sight.

[roll0]

[roll1]

SunderedWorldDM
2019-09-03, 07:26 PM
Amadeus spots the creature, and his keen hearing picks up a ticking sound, like a clock, from the creature before it dashes out of view.