PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tiefling Sorceress focusing on Alchemy

Blackhawk748
2019-05-27, 10:46 PM
What it says on the tin, I'm designing a Sorceress who utilizes a bunch of Alchemy to go along with her spells. It's 3.5 only and let's just assume that Dragon Mag is out of the question. So, with that in mind this is what I've got so far:

Tiefling Sorcerer 5/Escalation Mage 6/ Some other PRC X
1st: Grell Alchemy, Educated(f)
3rd: Sudden Still
6th: Augmented Alchemy (yes its Epic, but I'm gonna talk with the DM about reworking it to not suck)
9th: Knowledge Devotion
12th:
15th:
18th:

Its pretty barebones, but I'm not sure what else to toss in there. Paragnostic Apostle is an idea, but it requires an organization and isn't as easy to refluff as Escalation mage. Also, this entire Alchemy schtick kinda hinges on my DM agreeing to allow Augment Alchemy. If he doesn't go for it I'm gonna need an entirely new plan.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-27, 11:33 PM
There's the Alchemist Savant prestige class in Magic of Eberron.

Consider including a Mindbender dip if you're not good aligned, along with Mindsight.

If you are good aligned, you'll want to consider Ancestral Relic for a quarterstaff or an elvencraft longbow, and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224). Each time you modify it you can completely change what spells it contains. If the value doesn't change (i.e. you're replacing spells with different ones of equal level), it takes zero time to modify, you just need to be in the area of a Consecration or Hallow. Incense of Consecration (BoED) is only 300 gp, it burns for 6 hours and you should be able to extinguish it and preserve the remaining duration.

Blackhawk748
2019-05-28, 08:47 AM
There's the Alchemist Savant prestige class in Magic of Eberron.

Ooooh, forgot about this one. Definitely slotting this one in.

If you are good aligned, you'll want to consider Ancestral Relic for a quarterstaff or an elvencraft longbow, and make it a custom Runestaff (MIC p224). Each time you modify it you can completely change what spells it contains. If the value doesn't change (i.e. you're replacing spells with different ones of equal level), it takes zero time to modify, you just need to be in the area of a Consecration or Hallow. Incense of Consecration (BoED) is only 300 gp, it burns for 6 hours and you should be able to extinguish it and preserve the remaining duration.

While my DM may be cool with Ancestral Relic, I don't think he's gonna be cool with me flipping it around constantly for no money. Will still probably grab it because its neat.

Falontani
2019-05-28, 10:42 AM
From magic of Eberron there is a creature called a packmate. It's a little chest monster that follows you around. Notable because of its abilities:

Throw Flask (Ex): A packmate can be directed to make ranged attacks with vials of acid, holy water, or similar splash weapons. It can throw any such item it carries.
Feed Potion (Ex): A packmate is dexterous enough to retrieve a potion from one of its storage compartments, uncork it, and administer it to a fallen creature. A packmate is typically given instructions to use a cure potion on its master if he falls.
Ready Item (Ex): The telepathic connection between a packmate and its master allows the packmate to anticipate what item its master might call for next. If the homunculus and its master are adjacent, then the master can retrieve an item from the packmate as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

If your dm allows you to customize it's feats then give it: Grenedier, Mad Alchemist, Brutal Throw. It's a construct, and thus requires craft construct to create/improve unless you can convince your dm to either allow it as an improved familiar, or better yet allow you to swap your familiar for the Craft Homunculus class feature. If you can nab that go ahead and grab the feat Improved Homunculus from... You guessed it, magic of Eberron.

Remember to craft inhaled/contact poisons, as they are splash weapons that the construct can throw without fear of poisoning itself. And can be made with craft alchemy at a -4 penalty.

Blackhawk748
2019-05-28, 03:17 PM
From magic of Eberron there is a creature called a packmate. It's a little chest monster that follows you around. Notable because of its abilities:

If your dm allows you to customize it's feats then give it: Grenedier, Mad Alchemist, Brutal Throw. It's a construct, and thus requires craft construct to create/improve unless you can convince your dm to either allow it as an improved familiar, or better yet allow you to swap your familiar for the Craft Homunculus class feature. If you can nab that go ahead and grab the feat Improved Homunculus from... You guessed it, magic of Eberron.

Remember to craft inhaled/contact poisons, as they are splash weapons that the construct can throw without fear of poisoning itself. And can be made with craft alchemy at a -4 penalty.

Oooh, thats neat. I'll run that by him and worse case scenario I'll just take the feat.

Thurbane
2019-05-28, 04:53 PM
Just have to ask: Tieflings have a -2 to Cha - are you sure you want to be a Tiefling Sorcerer?

Blackhawk748
2019-05-28, 05:03 PM
Just have to ask: Tieflings have a -2 to Cha - are you sure you want to be a Tiefling Sorcerer?

Yes, I like Tieflings and I'm willing to just suck up the Cha penalty

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-28, 05:20 PM
Yes, I like Tieflings and I'm willing to just suck up the Cha penalty

Dragon issue 306, page 64 has the Magic-Blooded template. It's +0 LA, gives -2 Wis, +2 Cha, replaces any extraordinary vision such as darkvision with low-light vision, gives a few minor spell-like abilities, and changes your favored class to Sorcerer.

Blackhawk748
2019-05-29, 10:33 AM
Dragon issue 306, page 64 has the Magic-Blooded template. It's +0 LA, gives -2 Wis, +2 Cha, replaces any extraordinary vision such as darkvision with low-light vision, gives a few minor spell-like abilities, and changes your favored class to Sorcerer.

Im just going to assume that Dragon Mag is out, so thats a no go