PDA

View Full Version : How could you reasonably reflavor an Archivist?

Arkhios
2019-05-28, 05:14 AM
What it says in the topic.

Recently I've been trying to fit the Archivist into a character idea I had for an upcoming adventure set in Eberron, and I'd like to playtest the Artificer class myself. Of course I could just take everything they say in the internet as absolute truths, but where's the fun in that? I prefer to try new things myself.

So, the initial idea I had, was a Valenar Revenant Blade Artificer. Seeing how every Artificer can be a capable warrior, complete with their 5th level class feature that is similar in all but name to Extra Attack, I thought that why not give it a try. Now, while it's not explicitly stated as the one true Valenar elf sub-race, I get that Wood Elf makes the most sense, traditionally. However, High Elf is just as valid option, and arguably fits better for an Artificer, stat-wise.
Seeing that Revenant Blade and Double Scimitar more or less relies on either Strength or Dexterity as the attack ability score, going with just light armor and high dexterity (a no-brainer as an elf) could work perfectly.
I'm personally not a fan of minionmancy, and I generally detest companion classes, so I felt the Archivist to be the most to my liking. And it seems to function a lot like a Paladin with the damage boosts.

Artificial Mind as Ancestral Memories
First I thought that, maybe one could re-flavor the Artificial Mind as though the Valenar Archivist gathers items that they believe once belonged to their chosen ancestor, and using the class feature, manifest the ancestor's latent memories imprinted on those items, to create the effects as written.

Calligraphy as Rune Scribing
Another thought I had was that, since Archivist is proficient with Calligrapher's tools, maybe an Archivist could be seen as a way to resemble a Rune Scribe, imprinting their items with magical runes, visible or unseen. Technically, and traditionally, runes are carved onto a surface, but why couldn't an Archivist, a definitely skilled magic user, scribe runes on the surface of the items with magic instead of physical means.
Using this flavor, the character didn't have to be a Valenar elf, but instead maybe a Warforged (some of you might remember the Runeforged from 3.5).

Wildarm
2019-05-28, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a reasonable reskin of the sub-class. Don't see any major issues. I like the concept that you're awaking your ancestors spirit from items of theirs that held great significance. You effectively only need 3 ancestral heirlooms. Would even be fun to search for one at levels 1/2/3 in preparation for the subclass. Runic casting works perfectly fine for an artificer. Your calligrapher tools are your arcane focus.

I've been trying to figure out something similar... My concept was to refluff as a seer type class that summons spirits and uses them to possess people to attack or enhance them. Most of the artificer spells are buffs, so summoning/capturing a spirit and asking/forcing them to aid the group would be how to work it. For example, when working with smith tools, the Archivist/Seer would summon the spirit of an ancient smith they have researched or communed with in the past.