PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Easy ways to boost strength

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-05-28, 08:40 AM
Lost Tradition (General)
You are descended from a group of spellcasters who had very different ways of mastering magic, and you follow their tradition.

Benefits: Choose one spellcasting class. You may change which ability score governs spellcasting with that class. That ability cannot be changed again.

For Example, Meishel Ellazen is a houri cleric. She takes the Lost Tradition feat and chooses to base her clerical spellcasting on Charisma instead of Wisdom. She now uses her Charisma score to determine her bonus spells, spell save DCs, maximum spell level she can cast, and any other calculation regarding her cleric spells.

Special: You can take this feat only at 1st level.
I just got the okay from my DM for me to use the Lost Tradition feat from "Races of Renown - Bastards and Bloodlines" and I need to build a Wizard that uses Strength to cast spells, and when he runs out of spells, HE ATTACK!!!!!

I need to know some easy ways to increase his strength, be it by items, or feats, he needs more strength.

I would also like to know if there is any good martial caster prestige classes that allow him to have more melee oriented abilities without loosing CL. I already know that he is going to be using a whole bunch of spells like "Bull Strength" to boost his attacking ability

Oberron
2019-05-28, 08:58 AM
If you're using pathfinder at all the alchemist would be perfect pick instead of the wizard. Mutagen, enlarge person, bull str, dip a lvl in barbarian for rage is +14 to str done at very low level.

You'll also get +str to your bombs for range options have a d8hd instead of the wizards better reflex and fort saves and bunch of other good stuff.

gkathellar
2019-05-28, 09:34 AM
For PrCs that don't lose casting and are good in a scrap, you'll want Abjurant Champion. It's defensive, but it is the gold standard for exactly that.

Eldariel
2019-05-28, 10:36 AM
The best high BAB PRCs that don't lose casting in addition to Abjurant Champion are mostly 3/4 casting ones; Sacred Exorcist comes to mind first but there are probably a few others. Of course, you could always just access Divine Power through a feat instead and not give a rat's ass about your BAB since it's automatically equal to your character level anyways. Far as pumping strength goes, the gold standard:

Polymorph (Draconic Polymorph [Draconomicon] is just better and persistable) - Polymorph Any Object for a decent all-day buff
Divine Power (accessible through Arcane Disciple: War/Competition/Orc)
Bite of the Werebear [Spell Compendium] and the rest of the Bite of the X-line
Giant Size [Complete Arcane/Oriental Adventures] - Wujen spell, use Miracle from Domain, a Wish or something similar. It exists in Hero-domain [Oriental Adventures, technically for Shamans] so you can see whether you could take Arcane Disciple: Hero instead.
Enlarge Person/Righteous Might are baby versions of Giant Size.
Ability Enhancer [Dragon Compendium] allows for extra Strength outta stuff like Bite of the Werebear, Giant Size, Enlarge Person/company, and arguably even Polymorph (probably Draconic Polymorph since it explicitly gives you +8 Str in addition to the stats of the new form).

Have fun. Incantatrix [Player's Guide to Faerun] for all-day Str buffs is always a solid PRC to take. Or Spelldancer [Magic of Faerun].

EDIT: Forgot to mention Girallon's Blessing + Fuse Arms [Spell Compendium] and Elation [Spell Compendium]. Both work just as well, stacking with everything.

Particle_Man
2019-05-28, 02:56 PM
Play an orc?

Biggus
2019-05-28, 03:48 PM
Just a thought: has your DM explicitly said it's OK to swap your casting to a physical stat? I know the feat doesn't specify mental stats only, but if I was DMing that's how I'd interpret it.

Crake
2019-05-28, 04:22 PM
Spellsword and dragonslayer are both 1/2 casting prc that also have full bab, but both classes give you casting on their first level, so if you just dip 1 level into them, you can get away without losing any casting. As a plus, spellsword gives you a flat -10% on ASF, and dragon slayer gives you immunity to fear, and full proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, and all kinds of armor and shields for their 1st levels. Slap that onto abjurant champion and you have yourself 7 levels of full bab and full casting. If only dragon slayer and spellsword's bab requirements were reversed, then you could take dragon slayer to qualify for spellsword, but as it is, it makes qualifying rough.

RNightstalker
2019-05-28, 05:13 PM
Human Paragon is a class from UA that has 2/3 spellcasting, gives a bonus feat and an ability boost to any stat you want.

If you really want to be cheesy, roll him up as a 2nd edition fighter/mage; they get a conversion (2nd-3rd) bonus for exceptional strength.

RNightstalker
2019-05-28, 05:19 PM
Complete Champion has a feat called Animal Devotion (p54-5) that will give a sacred or profane bonus (max +8 at 18th) to ST for a minute/day, that can be used more w/ expending turn attempts...don't know if you want to do a quick cleric dip, but that's an option.

Maat Mons
2019-05-28, 07:35 PM
Base Races: Bakemono, Krynn Minotaur, Orc, Water Orc, Shalarin
Templates: Proto-Creature, Wild

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-28, 07:51 PM
The disease Festering Anger. Find a way to become immune to or to cure the negative side effects (constitution damage) and you've got an ever increasing enhancement bonus to Strength.

Eldariel
2019-05-29, 02:00 AM
Complete Champion has a feat called Animal Devotion (p54-5) that will give a sacred or profane bonus (max +8 at 18th) to ST for a minute/day, that can be used more w/ expending turn attempts...don't know if you want to do a quick cleric dip, but that's an option.

You can also just take the feat and dip Sacred Exorcist, which also has medium BAB.

Malphegor
2019-05-29, 05:20 AM
There's also War Hulk from Minatures Handbook, which while it requires you to be large as a prerequisite, you get +2 strength for every level of it, 10 in total. (it's kind of funny with a Goliath with the requisite substitution level in barbarian- Suddenly, your already Large While Raging barbarian now is getting +20 strength even if they're bare of any strength-boosting items or feats that synergise with that.)

No spellcasting progression though for your purposes, but if you can figure out how to get the BAB and be Large as a wizard, it might be an option for you if you boost your caster level.

(maybe consider it with Rage Mage from complete warrior since it does BAB a tiny bit faster than wizards??)

... I'm kinda spooked by this idea actually. Just imagining this wizardly sort, tearing off their robes, they're covered in scars, and with a loud bellow they grow, and then beat someone over the head with a wagon or something, and the wagon is on fire because they're still a wizard and making things on fire works still.

Remuko
2019-05-29, 09:22 AM
There's also War Hulk from Minatures Handbook, which while it requires you to be large as a prerequisite, you get +2 strength for every level of it, 10 in total. (it's kind of funny with a Goliath with the requisite substitution level in barbarian- Suddenly, your already Large While Raging barbarian now is getting +20 strength even if they're bare of any strength-boosting items or feats that synergise with that.)

No spellcasting progression though for your purposes, but if you can figure out how to get the BAB and be Large as a wizard, it might be an option for you if you boost your caster level.

(maybe consider it with Rage Mage from complete warrior since it does BAB a tiny bit faster than wizards??)

... I'm kinda spooked by this idea actually. Just imagining this wizardly sort, tearing off their robes, they're covered in scars, and with a loud bellow they grow, and then beat someone over the head with a wagon or something, and the wagon is on fire because they're still a wizard and making things on fire works still.

I dont think War Hulks can cast spells. They can't really do anything but smash IIRC. No Time To Think its called IIRC.

Rijan_Sai
2019-05-29, 09:43 AM
The disease Festering Anger. Find a way to become immune to or to cure the negative side effects (constitution damage) and you've got an ever increasing enhancement bonus to Strength.
Cancer Mage, BOVD pg52, is generally considered on of the best (if one of the cheesiest) ways to accomplish this.

I dont think War Hulks can cast spells. They can't really do anything but smash IIRC. No Time To Think its called IIRC.

Not really; No Time to Think treats all your INT- and CHA-based skills as having 0 ranks, but otherwise says nothing of spellcasting. (Although I'm fairly certain the writer(s) of the PRC didn't take into consideration the possibility of a caster getting in in the first place...:smallconfused:)

Kalkra
2019-05-29, 12:23 PM
If you want to get cheesy, then there's Darklight Wizard from Kingdoms of Kalamar. In addition to being poorly written cheese incarnate, I think it has full BAB.

Remuko
2019-05-29, 01:53 PM
Cancer Mage, BOVD pg52, is generally considered on of the best (if one of the cheesiest) ways to accomplish this.

Not really; No Time to Think treats all your INT- and CHA-based skills as having 0 ranks, but otherwise says nothing of spellcasting. (Although I'm fairly certain the writer(s) of the PRC didn't take into consideration the possibility of a caster getting in in the first place...:smallconfused:)

seems youre right. I for some reason always thought it disallowed any actions relying on mental abilities not just skills. That's not nearly as restrictive as I thought.

RaiKirah
2019-05-29, 03:09 PM
seems youre right. I for some reason always thought it disallowed any actions relying on mental abilities not just skills. That's not nearly as restrictive as I thought.

Yeah, and you can use Trait Removal (Serpent Kingdoms I think) to get rid of it and still use your skills/mental abilities if you have 5th level spells

RNightstalker
2019-05-29, 05:16 PM
There's also a feat called Ability Enhancer from Dragon 325, any transmutation spell that enhances abilities does it with an extra +2.