PDA

View Full Version : Is this build fun, or easily accomplished other ways?

GhengisConrad
2019-05-28, 04:23 PM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to 5e. Used to play 3e back in the day. Got in to some actual in person games with a group, and in the pursuit of role playing, I kind of stumbled on to a build, and was wondering if it's core mechanics could be achieved better with a different build. Just curious your thoughts on it.

build is as follows

half elf Horizon Walker Ranger level 5 Lore Bard level 6

big focus on casting hail of thorns at higher level, taking extra attack, dealing extra 1d8 planar warrior damage, archery fighting style. Also in a fight, jeeze louise is cutting words a nice reaction. Also access to suggestion, misty step, and cantrips (bonfire from half elf, message and mage hand via bard) is very nice role-play wise.

Is this just the dumbest build anyone has ever come up with? Or is it kinda cool to nuke a group of baddies with a bunch of d10?

Also, as a Lore Bard 6 (ranger 5), I have access to any two spells up to level 4 to add to my repertoire. Suggestions on that?

Contrast
2019-05-28, 04:28 PM
Also, as a Lore Bard 6 (ranger 5), I have access to any two spells up to level 4 to add to my repertoire. Suggestions on that?

A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip.

Your magical secrets are capped by your bard levels I believe so a maximum of level 3.

I'd question if what you're trying to achieve wouldn't be better addressed by valor bard but at the end of the day if it seems fun to you, crack on :smallbiggrin:

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-28, 04:37 PM
There are a few concerns.

Hail of Thorns requires your Bonus Action, as does using Bardic Inspiration to buff an ally, and using your Force damage on your attack. Generally, the Horizon Walker works best with a build that DOESN'T use your Bonus Action. You basically don't rely on the generic spells the Ranger picks (Entangling Strike, Hail of Arrows, etc) to instead use other ones as a utility-based caster.

Additionally, you're looking at requiring a 13 into Charisma, a 13 into Wisdom, and a 13 into Dexterity in order to do this multiclassing combo. You won't have much left for Constitution, which is pretty big for maintaining buffs.

Lastly, Hail of Thorns doesn't have you make a separate attack for each creature. Rather, it afflicts a spell effect on the target you hit, and every target adjacent to the primary target.

What you're looking for is something like Volley from the Hunter Ranger subclass. Combine it with the same subclass's Horde Breaker feature (can only work on 1 creature, though), and Flame Arrows (works on all of your arrows), and you got yourself a solid build.

moonfly7
2019-05-28, 04:41 PM
Love this, I love rangers anyways, but this is great, stuff you need to know though:
Use revised ranger, normal ranger sucks (even though I love rangers) and revised ranger is much better and makes rangers actually fair.
Take the hunter subclass instead of horizon walker, they get a 1d8 extra damage without a bonus action, they get to do it once per turn for free.
You can't multi attack after casting spells, or add archery to hail of thorns. I'd suggest hunters mark, extra d8 attack, and archery style which gets you close. Maybe take rogue for them sneaks.
If you want to rain spell damage, I don't think ranger subclasses can add extra damage to spells. So there's that. The bard idea is solid enough, but remember that you can't cast two spells of level 1 or higher on the same turn.
If you just want to nuke em, and don't care about sacrificing spells to do it, drop 3 levels into fighter, and take arcane archer. Then use arcan shot options coupled with the 1d8 damage plus hunters mark. And if you drop a few levels in rogue, you can add sneak damage.

For a caster drooping nukes though, I'm not sure I can help too much. But ranger definitely isn't the way to go, much as I love it. Try the warlock maybe.

Aaron Underhand
2019-05-28, 04:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to 5e. Used to play 3e back in the day. Got in to some actual in person games with a group, and in the pursuit of role playing, I kind of stumbled on to a build, and was wondering if it's core mechanics could be achieved better with a different build. Just curious your thoughts on it.

build is as follows

half elf Horizon Walker Ranger level 5 Lore Bard level 6

big focus on casting hail of thorns at higher level, taking extra attack, dealing extra 1d8 planar warrior damage, archery fighting style. Also in a fight, jeeze louise is cutting words a nice reaction. Also access to suggestion, misty step, and cantrips (bonfire from half elf, message and mage hand via bard) is very nice role-play wise.

Is this just the dumbest build anyone has ever come up with? Or is it kinda cool to nuke a group of baddies with a bunch of d10?

You are MAD needing Dex, Wis and Cha, as well as Con - and beware con checks when holding concentration.

Yes cutting words is awesome - but the bard will have it 5 levels earlier than the ranger/bard.

and as was said before Bard 6 gets you third level spells - a common choice is counterspell and fireball!

In terms of damage output a hunter ranger with the extra attack on an adjacent enemy does better than the horizon walker's single d8 which soaks a bonus action - particularly if you take sharpshooter - I've seen this in action - it can get brutal - add levels of rogue for bonus action hide to get advantage..

In terms of utility you can do well with Ranger 5/cleric X... particularly if you go vHuman and take a feat at first level

Darc_Vader
2019-05-29, 02:45 PM
You can't multi attack after casting spells, or add archery to hail of thorns.

Normally you’d be correct, but Hail of Thorns is basically one of the smite spells: you cast it as a bonus action and it applies to the next ranged weapon attack you land (misses don’t waste it, unless missing causes you to lose concentration before you can land a hit). It doesn’t technically modify your attack either, so Archery style, Extra Attack, even secondary effects from a magic bow will all still apply.