PDA

View Full Version : Monk Subclass

WorldOnFire03
2019-05-28, 08:39 PM
In one of my campaigns I’m playing as a Fallen Aasimar Monk and we’re just about to hit level 3. For context my party consists of a half elf fighter, a half elf rogue, a bugbear warlock, a drow fighter and a firbolg Druid so we’re pretty balanced between melee and spells (no healers though).

I’m trying to decide which subclass to take (I’ve never played a monk before), at the moment I’m tossing but between Way of the Shadow (I looove pass without trace, I tend to prefer playing stealthily and it plays into being a fallen Aasimar and my backstory), or Way of the Four Elements (plays less into the backstory but gives a lot more options for combat and useful spells).

Does anyone have any experience with monk subclasses or any advice for me on which one to pick? Here are my stats in case it makes a difference:

STR: 8
DEX: 17
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 17
CHA: 15

Thanks 😊❤️

Nidgit
2019-05-28, 08:51 PM
Four Elements Monk is widely considered somewhat dysfunctional due to ki consumption and the limited number of spells you learn. If you're really interested in playing it, you might try and get your DM to approve some homebrew that makes the spellcasting a lot more relevant.

Way of Shadows is excellent. Honestly, pretty much every other Monk subclass is great too. Go with whatever you want.

OutOfThyme
2019-05-28, 08:52 PM
Four Elements is pretty notoriously one of the weakest subclasses in the game. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Way of Shadow is significantly better, since it opens up stealth as part of your character (and your rogue won't be alone). It's pretty good, and I actually like it a lot. Minor Illusion is a fantastic cantrip, and all of the spells are pretty good.

The strongest Monk subclass is probably Open Hand, especially because of its first subclass ability. Since it applies to each of your Flurry of Blows attacks, you can help set up prone enemies for your fighters and rogue if they go into melee. If they don't, being able to prevent enemies from using reactions is huge - not only do you prevent attacks of opportunity, but you can also use this to make sure that an enemy caster can't counterspell something your Druid is using. Each of the riders on Open Hand Technique are useful.

Spectrulus
2019-05-28, 08:55 PM
Going off that comment about a healer, I had a player choose Path of Tranquility, with the features being 10hp/lvl Lay on Hands, Heal during Flurry of Blows replacing one attack, and he really enjoyed it.

If you want a non-UA answer, Elements is fun, although many people will call it weak. Some home brewed fixes do help it, of course (basic control element cantrips basically)

Path of the Radiant Soul feels good, as you zip around hurling rays of sunshine at people, never bothering to get within melee distance unless you want to. A player I saw really enjoyed that one.

Witty Username
2019-05-29, 12:44 AM
It sounds like function and flavor favor the Way of Shadow. I don't think the way of four elements is as bad as others make it out to be but it is not as good as way of shadow especially if you like stealth. Also, leveling up is easier.

Aergentum
2019-05-29, 04:00 AM
Way of the Open Hand is probably the best option, but also Way of the Shadow is great since you can use Pass Without Trace and give other party members like +10 Stealth.

I'd also think that Way of Kensei would be nice even though that would mean just more weapons in your way, or for fun Way of Drunken Master.

MrStabby
2019-05-29, 04:18 AM
Way of the shadow is probably the strongest subclass (at least until level 17) but 4 elements is probably the weakest.

If you are leaning towards shadow, I think you will have great fun with it.

If the thing drawing you to 4E monk is "lots of options for combat and useful spells" I would say you are better off with shadowmonk but multiclassing at level 7 to get the options you want. Firstly shadowmonk gives really useful spells as well (you will notice that shadow get the spells the same level a full caster would, 4E gets the same levels later) and the spells really add to what a monk can do. A few levels of ranger, for example gives you more combat options, more useful spells and something like gloomstalker meshes thematically with way of the shadow very well.

nickl_2000
2019-05-29, 07:00 AM
I'm voting for shadow monk as well, it plays into the Fallen Aasimar extremely well making for a pretty dark and gritty character. Beyond that, having someone who can easily cast silence, pass without a trace, and minor illusion could fit extremely well into this party.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-29, 10:54 AM
Strength aside, I think it's important to focus on what you know you enjoy. The Monk is already a new experience for you, so focus on the Monk subclass that best suites what you enjoy playing.

In that regard, Shadow seems the obvious choice, since you know you enjoy stealth.

WorldOnFire03
2019-05-29, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone ❤️

I think I will go with Way of the Shadow since it was my gut first choice and everyone seems to have really good opinions about it 😊 I also have thought about potentially multiclassing later on (I did consider barbarian but I don’t have the strength for it) but I don’t think it’s something I’ll consider for a while.

Thank you everyone who took the time to post ❤️