PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5e] How to make an Apothocary-type NPC (Non-Spellcaster Alchemist/Healer)

IraWolf
2019-05-28, 11:45 PM
In most historical times, and in at least some fantasy settings as well (Eragon comes to mind) there is a depiction and expectation of non-magical herbmasters and healers in small towns or villages, whom the common folk rely on for their curatives. In 3.5e, this is an issue, because amongst other things the Craft (Alchemy) skill doesn't allow non-spellcasters to take ranks in it, and also doesn't give any form of healing item as a result of crafting. And certainly in low magic settings it doesn't seem feasible for EVERY apothocary or herbalist to be an adept or other magic user.

How would one remedy (har har) this seeming issue? One idea I had was to allow those with Heal to make basically an improptu Craft check, using the same rules and DC, to make mundane curatives; think basically a Cure Minor Wounds (heals 1 HP flat) poultice.

This would allow there to be non-magicians serving as all-around mundane healers and apothocaries in small settlements that might not have an adept or greater spellcaster within them, and in addition also allow spellcasters with ranks in Craft (Alchemy) to make at least minor healing items before they take the Brew Potion feat.

Does this seem like a good solution to the issue?

Vizzerdrix
2019-05-29, 01:43 AM
Craft alchemy has both the healing salve and anti toxin.

Zaq
2019-05-29, 02:01 AM

Yeah, but part of the problem laid out in the OP is that by RAW, you can’t use C: Alchemy without being a spellcaster.

I’m in favor of houseruling that particular restriction away, but if you want to stick to RAW, I dunno, Magical Training?

Crake
2019-05-29, 02:06 AM
Yeah, but part of the problem laid out in the OP is that by RAW, you can’t use C: Alchemy without being a spellcaster.

I’m in favor of houseruling that particular restriction away, but if you want to stick to RAW, I dunno, Magical Training?

Arguably a race with natural SLAs should qualify? Maybe just amek your apothecaries gnomes?

IraWolf
2019-05-29, 02:19 AM

Healing salve? What splatbook is that in, Complete Adventurer?

I've never heard of that before.

Also that doesn't solve the issue of needing to AT MINIMUM be an Adept to create it.

Falontani
2019-05-29, 10:45 AM
Anyone with a spell like ability may take and use craft alchemy. There are several feats in Complete arcane which grant cantrips. From Eberron you have Dragonmarks galore. And from faerun there are several regional feats which grant an sla.
Getting the Incarnum or Psionic subtype also works, making shape soulmeld and hidden talent good choices.

While not RAW, I believe an alchemist should be able to create an antidote for any specific poison using the same dc as the poison for crafting purposes. Antitoxin should also work.

Finally look into the craft infusion from masters of the wild. It's not exactly what your wanting, but I don't see why it is caster restricted.

emulord
2019-05-29, 10:54 AM
Since experts can take any skill as a class skill, couldn't they take Craft(Alchemy)?

Zaq
2019-05-29, 11:41 AM
Anyone can TAKE C: Alchemy, but by the (stupid) RAW, only a spellcaster can USE C: Alchemy to craft many things.

Of course, some later books might have neglected to put that restriction on their alchemical items...

Blackhawk748
2019-05-29, 05:17 PM
Simple, remove that restriction. It's incredibly stupid and it doesn't even make sense.

Honestly I see Rogues as more likely to want Alchemical items as opposed to casters and casters have other things to do other than Crafting checks

Thurbane
2019-05-29, 05:43 PM
Anyone can TAKE C: Alchemy, but by the (stupid) RAW, only a spellcaster can USE C: Alchemy to craft many things.

Of course, some later books might have neglected to put that restriction on their alchemical items...

This. RAW, SLAs alone do not allow you to craft alchemical items.

As others have suggested, you can house-rule away that restriction.

You might want to take a look at d20 Modern (Past): that may have some info on non-magical healing that wouldn't be totally out of place in a D&D setting, from memory.

Also, there's a skill trick (Healing Hands) that allows you to heal a small amount of a stabilise check (Complete Scoundrel, p.87).