PDA

View Full Version : Elven Weapon Training

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-29, 03:21 AM
Is there an elven equivalent to the Dwarven Weapon Training feat? Specifically, one that would work on Greatbows.

masteraleph
2019-05-29, 06:14 AM
Nothing for Greatbows. There’s Valenar Weapon Training, which is scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions, and gives a +2/3/4 scaling damage bonus by tier.

As for Greatbows- they’re an improvement from longbows, but I rarely take the feat. It’s +1 to damage per W on non-crits. So for me to take it, there has to be no better feat to take, and that’s pretty rare.

MwaO
2019-05-29, 09:14 AM
There are also some weirdo Dusk Elf feats, one of which that gives a bonus with a light blade.

But totally agree. Greatbow, given how many bow powers tend to be 1w, is kind of unnecessary

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-29, 12:11 PM
The character I had using one was an archery ranger, using the Twin Strike at-will ability, so switching to d12s on all damage was probably worth it in the end. This was years ago; I'm just wondering if there was a better way I could have gotten proficiency.

Beoric
2019-05-29, 09:32 PM
Nothing for Greatbows. There’s Valenar Weapon Training, which is scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions, and gives a +2/3/4 scaling damage bonus by tier.

As for Greatbows- they’re an improvement from longbows, but I rarely take the feat. It’s +1 to damage per W on non-crits. So for me to take it, there has to be no better feat to take, and that’s pretty rare.

Unless your DM likes really big maps with lots of difficult terrain, and giving greatbows to enemy artillery. A corner case I am painfully familiar with.

Dimers
2019-05-29, 11:26 PM
Or, I suppose, if your DM supports the much less sensible (but still grammatically valid!) reading of rapid shot, where you can shoot every creature within 51 squares once as a standard action. And you have a reeeeeally good defender to help you handle the aggro from shooting lots of things without doing much damage.

masteraleph
2019-05-29, 11:33 PM
Unless your DM likes really big maps with lots of difficult terrain, and giving greatbows to enemy artillery. A corner case I am painfully familiar with.

I suppose. But really, that should fall into the same category as taking away PC’s weapons in a party with Swordmages. As in: you do it rarely and only do it when one PC has a greatbow, in order to reward them for having the greatbow. Given that almost any other PC will lack any attacks that work more distantly than range 20, and many may max out at range 10, regularly using enemies with ridiculous ranges is more likely to annoy players than do anything else.

Beoric
2019-05-30, 09:27 PM
I suppose. But really, that should fall into the same category as taking away PC’s weapons in a party with Swordmages. As in: you do it rarely and only do it when one PC has a greatbow, in order to reward them for having the greatbow. Given that almost any other PC will lack any attacks that work more distantly than range 20, and many may max out at range 10, regularly using enemies with ridiculous ranges is more likely to annoy players than do anything else.

Its not a gimp, its just a big, more or less realistic outdoor map. Beating it with longbows was a worthy challenge.

Duff
2019-06-05, 09:55 PM
What is this "outdoors" of which you speak?:smallsmile: