PDA

View Full Version : DM Help NPC "Monsters" and Racial Traits

SpikeFightwicky
2019-05-29, 08:43 AM
Howdy folks,

Question about the use of the NPC templates in the various monster books:
The rules state:

Racial Traits: You can add racial traits to an NPC. For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25 feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC doesn’t alter its challenge rating.

So, let's say I want to create a Drow Archer (not a generic drow with a bow, but take the Archer NPC class and make the race "Humanoid (elf)" and add the drow racial traits. Under the drow racial traits that are relevant to combat mechanics, we have: Stat mods, double darkvision, keen senses, fey ancestry, sunlight sensitivity, innate spell casting and weapon training. Changing weapons "may" change CR according to the rules, so we won't alter those. So for the Racial Traits, stat mods WILL affect the archer (extra att/dmg bonus). So can we add racial stat mods without affecting the CR (they don't add halfling stat mods in their example)? Adding Gnome Cunning to an NPC can provide a huge boost to saving throws.

So... are the NPC templates a bit underpowered because the intent was to add racial traits to them? For the halfling druid in the example, they do not add stat mods. Can we if we want without altering the CR?

Mith
2019-05-29, 08:57 AM
Howdy folks,

Question about the use of the NPC templates in the various monster books:
The rules state:

So, let's say I want to create a Drow Archer (not a generic drow with a bow, but take the Archer NPC class and make the race "Humanoid (elf)" and add the drow racial traits. Under the drow racial traits that are relevant to combat mechanics, we have: Stat mods, double darkvision, keen senses, fey ancestry, sunlight sensitivity, innate spell casting and weapon training. Changing weapons "may" change CR according to the rules, so we won't alter those. So for the Racial Traits, stat mods WILL affect the archer (extra att/dmg bonus). So can we add racial stat mods without affecting the CR (they don't add halfling stat mods in their example)? Adding Gnome Cunning to an NPC can provide a huge boost to saving throws.

So... are the NPC templates a bit underpowered because the intent was to add racial traits to them? For the halfling druid in the example, they do not add stat mods. Can we if we want without altering the CR?

Even if you do add stat mods, it's only a 5% improvement from the baseline statblock. While it adds up in group attacks (Multiple Drow Archers for example), I do not think it is a cumulative enough effect for a CR adjustment, especially since PCs can punch fairly well above their weight class at times.

SpikeFightwicky
2019-05-29, 09:31 AM
Even if you do add stat mods, it's only a 5% improvement from the baseline statblock. While it adds up in group attacks (Multiple Drow Archers for example), I do not think it is a cumulative enough effect for a CR adjustment, especially since PCs can punch fairly well above their weight class at times.

That's where I was leaning. Like, a Goblin Archer will have 2 longbow attacks at +7 att/ 1d8+5 dmg instead of +6 / 1d8+4. Not ground breaking.

Though a follow up question: hit point dice for monsters is related to size in this edition. So if I make a small archer, do I recalculate hit points based off of d6s instead of d8s? For example, the Goblin Archer would have 10d6 + con instead of 10d8 + con (so 65 instead of 75). It's not stated in the RAW, but it feels like RAI.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-05-29, 09:39 AM
To shift Offensive CR by 1 point, you need a change of > +7 DPR assuming everything hits or a change in attack bonus by +2 points.

To shift Defensive CR by 1 point, you need to add >15 HP or increase AC by +2.

To shift overall CR by 1 point, you need to change both by 1 or one of the two by 2.

In general, use the table on DMG 282, which calls out specific things that may influence CR.

Unoriginal
2019-05-29, 10:13 AM
Yes, a Small Archer would have d6 as HDs, not d8. That's shown in various adventures when halflings, gnomes, goblins, etc, are given NPC statblocks.

But do note that the NPCs generally use the NPC racial mods, from the DMG. Not the ones from the PHB or the Volo's.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-29, 05:26 PM
That's where I was leaning. Like, a Goblin Archer will have 2 longbow attacks at +7 att/ 1d8+5 dmg instead of +6 / 1d8+4. Not ground breaking.

Though a follow up question: hit point dice for monsters is related to size in this edition. So if I make a small archer, do I recalculate hit points based off of d6s instead of d8s? For example, the Goblin Archer would have 10d6 + con instead of 10d8 + con (so 65 instead of 75). It's not stated in the RAW, but it feels like RAI.

Note that goblin archer would have disadvantage with longbow due to small size.