PDA

View Full Version : Strange question about a shield

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-05-29, 09:51 AM
So I've got a character who's natural form is a dragon but he can polymorph into a lizardfolk at will. While in lizardfolk form he uses a shield that is magically bound to him, like cannot be removed. When he shifts to dragon form what happens to the shield? I've been thinking it's still stuck to his arm, it's not exactly strapped so it can be moved around (think rising of the shield hero)

MisterKaws
2019-05-29, 10:02 AM
With polymorph spells it usually either re-shapes or melds into the new form, but since you're originally a dragon, it should still be there on the dragon form if you have it in your alternate form. And dragons do have opposable thumbs so they can use weapons just fine.

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-05-29, 10:35 AM
Dragons can't use weapons, per the draconomicon. Their foreclaws don't have opposable thumbs. I guess I'm really not entirely sure what I am looking for..

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-05-29, 11:03 AM
My best guess would be since the shield is built for the lizard form, the shield morphs into the dragon body, along with the rest of his equipment, reappearing when you turn into a lizard-folk again.

MisterKaws
2019-05-29, 11:16 AM
Dragons can't use weapons, per the draconomicon. Their foreclaws don't have opposable thumbs. I guess I'm really not entirely sure what I am looking for..

Hmm? That's an inconsistent rule then. The illustrations have dragons with Opposable thumbs, and dragons are clearly stated as able to pick up weapon proficiency via Wyrm of War, but I guess that might be an Eberron-only thing.

Not like I like Faerun anyway.

Crow_Nightfeath
2019-05-29, 11:40 AM
They also as far as I can tell have no rules on using a shield built for a medium creature as bigger than medium

MisterKaws
2019-05-29, 11:44 AM
They also as far as I can tell have no rules on using a shield built for a medium creature as bigger than medium

If it's magical(from your description it is), it adapts to size changes.

Telonius
2019-05-29, 02:36 PM
Personally I'd say that it looks like his pinkie claw now has a wood-and-metal ring on it.

KillianHawkeye
2019-05-29, 05:37 PM
IMO, it should sort of just stay attached to him when he's in dragon form. Depending on what size he is, this probably means that it doesn't grant him any of the benefits of wearing a shield, but probably also doesn't negatively affect his natural dragon abilities either.