PDA

View Full Version : Spells for Dread Witch bard to take advantage of CL boost?

Hiro Quester
2019-05-29, 10:04 AM
Mostly core game (core only spells and items, one PrC with DM approval, races and ACFs from Races of.. books).

Playing a debuffer Gnome Bard, with ACFs from races of stone (counter fear, inspire defiance, Phantasmal Song) with levels of dread witch at 5,8,10,13,15 ( to moderate power for party balance reasons). All Feats so far are Spell Focus to increase DC of illusions, fear, enchantment spells that are my specialty.

The dread witch ability Absorb Fear, enables you to use a fear effect you are exposed to (even if you save, or delay its effects until after the encounter) to increase the CL of your spells.

Our campaign will involve many encounters with fear (especially around levels 10-15). So there is some potential for using this ability.

But my spell list and plan mostly focus on fear, illusions and enchantments. Few of these get any serious advantage from increased CL (beyond increased area or duration).

Are there other useful core bard spells that are worth learning, and can best take advantage of this increased CL?

I haven’t learned any damaging spells (mostly because I can usually do more damage by inspiring courage and hasting our party’s rogue, ranger and fighter).

Is there a good core bard spell that I should try to learn? The best I can think of is (greater) dispel magic.

Are there uses of Shadow Evocation or Shadow Conjuration (which I plan to learn) that would be good here? I will learn these later, mostly for versatility. I do have increased illusion DC, plus the Dread Witch ability to add a fear effect to any spell with a visual manifestation.