PDA

View Full Version : Question about petitioners

Conradine
2019-05-29, 03:42 PM
Can a petitioner ( one that is recently deceased and still retain his individuality ) be convoked with a Gate or Planar Binding spell, as a normal outsider?

And, may he gain Experience, somehow?

Kaleph
2019-05-29, 05:00 PM
Hi, I answer you also here, just to be sure. The petitioner template is in the manual of the planes. It's 3.0, so consider that the update to 3.5 could have changed something.

Apparently a petitioner cannot be called, but
can be resurrected. It has no advancement (no xp, no levels). It has special features which in part depend on the plane where they live. Some details of the afterlife are left to DM's discretion, although some alternative options are proposed.

EDIT: I did some more research - amongst those alternative options that I've mentioned, the manual of the planes also suggests, as an adaptationso to say, that petitioners do not exist, and that the souls of the deads become celestial/axiomatic/anarchic/fiendish creatures instead. That's not the standard d&d cosmology, but a variant - but who cares, if this is what you're looking for, just go for it.

MisterKaws
2019-05-29, 05:22 PM
Petitioners are basically mindless slaves, so not really.

Psyren
2019-05-30, 05:44 PM
Can a petitioner ( one that is recently deceased and still retain his individuality ) be convoked with a Gate or Planar Binding spell, as a normal outsider?

Only the ones without Planar Commitment, e.g. manes.

And, may he gain Experience, somehow?

Only players and cohorts can gain XP. PB and Gate do not create either.