PDA

View Full Version : need just a little more Advice 3.5 Build help

Nosta
2019-05-29, 07:27 PM
I've been having trouble finding a build i like but think i may have something

the game is a Gesalt game and I am planning a Shifter (Razor claw) / Scout

I was thinking of going
(1) Sword-sage (lv 3)
(2) Ranger (Lv 1) + Scout (LV 2) (and taking swift hunter)

Would that be a good idea?

I get an extra feat to start as a boon and would like advice on feats for my first 9 levels

RNightstalker
2019-05-30, 05:45 PM
Ranger, Scout, and Swift Hunter match well with the Dervish PrC. There are some dump feats to qualify, but I actually did a Ranger/Scout build, kinda fun.

L1-Dodge, H-Combat Reflexes
L3-Mobility
L6-Weapon Focus
L9-Swift Hunter

I dumped the Ranger's Spellcasting to get bonus feats instead, and got Combat Expertise at Ranger4. My DM also let me swap out my Animal Companion for Animal Devotion.

I also planned out my favored enemies as those who are classically immune to sneak attack and criticals, as Swift Hunter lets you do Skirmish damage against your favored enemies.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-30, 10:30 PM
Do you plan on being primarily ranged, or primarily melee?

How do you plan on enabling your skirmish damage for multiple attacks?

Nosta
2019-05-31, 06:48 AM
Do you plan on being primarily ranged, or primarily melee?

How do you plan on enabling your skirmish damage for multiple attacks?

well I plan on being Melee
I plan on using sudden leap to trigger skirmish

DeTess
2019-05-31, 07:01 AM
well I plan on being Melee
I plan on using sudden leap to trigger skirmish

That'll only work once per fight (if you got it through taking 2 feats) or once every two rounds (swordsage, taking a full-round action every other round to refresh it) with the options you presented. Taking a level in warblade instead might alleviate this somewhat. Sudden leap is still only once every two rounds, but at least you get to do things on your 'off' round.

Nosta
2019-05-31, 09:02 AM
That'll only work once per fight (if you got it through taking 2 feats) or once every two rounds (swordsage, taking a full-round action every other round to refresh it) with the options you presented. Taking a level in warblade instead might alleviate this somewhat. Sudden leap is still only once every two rounds, but at least you get to do things on your 'off' round.

I see
well long ago i built a scout with travel devotion but sadly that feat is not on the table (more so the book is not on the table)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-31, 09:50 AM
Ranger 1/ Scout 2// Swordsage 1/ Warblade 1/ Crusader 1

Select both 1st level Stone Dragon maneuvers for Swordsage, along with Wolf Fang Strike, and take Martial Study to learn Vanguard Strike as a Swordsage maneuver. Select both 1st level White Raven maneuvers for Warblade. When you gain the Crusader level, you can only learn Crusader Strike, because you can only learn a given maneuver once. Take Martial Study to add Sudden Leap to your Crusader maneuvers known.

This way you only know two Crusader maneuvers, so you can only ready those two Crusader maneuvers. You have two granted Crusader maneuvers, so every round both of those are refreshed and granted, ready to be used.

Take a second Warblade level at your 8th character level to learn Iron Heart Surge, and you can get a second Crusader level later to get a choice stance when you'll have a high enough initiator level for it.

DeTess
2019-05-31, 12:47 PM
I see
well long ago i built a scout with travel devotion but sadly that feat is not on the table (more so the book is not on the table)

Depending on how high level you expect to reach, finding a way to enter tellflamar shadowlord could help give consistent activations for full attacks with skirmish bonus damage, but that class requires a stack of feats, skills and 2d6 sneak attack damage.

Nosta
2019-05-31, 08:49 PM
Well I think I'll go Human

Ranger (1) / Scout (X) (Swift hunter)

+

War-Blade (x) / Blood-claw master

focusing on Tiger claw and stone dragon from some splashes on iron heart

I was kinda thinking of going

Either Swordsage / Druid

or Range - scout (swift hunter) + Druid

any of these good combos?

RNightstalker
2019-06-01, 04:35 PM
You'll need to have 3 levels of Scout to help qualify for Swift Hunter. I know the Druids are normally used for their Wildshape ability to tank with their animal companions. I think Swordsage would be a better match with a Druid as they're just better versions of Rangers/Scouts, and Wisdom is important to both.