PDA

View Full Version : Artificer/wizard break points and subclass choices

Seekergeek
2019-05-29, 11:40 PM
So I’m playing an artificer. Just hit level two and from an rp vantage point, for me, archivist seems to be on the horizon. I’ve talked with my DM already and he’s cool with multiclassing as well as with both the lore master wizard and the school of invention wizard as a thematic pairing with the artificer. I expect the campaign to top out at level 9-10 if our longstanding average holds true.

Given the spell slot multiclassing note for the artificer, it seems to me that the natural break points for the artificer in that case are 3 and 5/6 (depending on the value of the level 6 subclass feature in question). Level 5 muticlass means extra attack, the second tier of information overload and minimal slot progression loss giving a juicy boost to my spell slots to burn on the psychic smite. Level six adds int to damage and a cool walkie-talkie feature. Only going to third level seems to mean no loss of spell slots (unless I’m brain farting because I’ve been awake since 4am) but you’d lose out on IO’s D8 boost and arcane armament.

Pairing with lore master or war wizard seems to take the skills to a good place and actually utilize my int. As does bladesinger. I’m torn because unlike my groups normal makeup folks seems to be really playing the mechanics over their characters this time around and I don’t want to be left behind on that front. War wizard/battle smith is another appealing looking combo for a gish. Maybe bladesinger/battle smith too. Has anyone had the opportunity to really flesh our a multiclassed artificer yet?

Oh. And if it plays any roll, I’ve got a variant human with an 18 int and a 15 dex. Rest of the stats are middling and I don’t recall them offhand. 12-8ish. I took MI: Wizard at first level and picked up burning hands with the idea that casting it from my pet’s space would be fun. Not the optimal choice but generally we aren’t an optimized table...

EDIT FOR PHONE TYPOS AND STATS

Kane0
2019-05-30, 12:29 AM
Artificer rounds up so 3 and 5 are looking good. Personally i’d go with 5

Trustypeaches
2019-05-30, 12:40 AM
Archivist 3 / Lore Wizard sounds like an intensely powerful combination. Because you can cast spells through the Artificial Mind from hundreds of feet away, you can use it to land some devastating ranged attacks from total safety.