PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Skill or ability bonuses: which would you rather have?

Biggus
2019-05-30, 06:17 PM
In this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?589105-Price-Breakdown-of-Pale-Green-Ioun-Stone&p=23943359#post23943359) RNightstalker asked about the cost of separately increasing the bonuses of a Pale Green Ioun Stone (+1 competence bonus to attacks, saves, skill and ability checks). The cost of the save and attack bonuses can be calculated from the table on DMG p.285 and by comparing it to a Stone of Good Luck respectively, but I can't find any way to work out what the skill and ability check bonuses should be separately.

So, my questions are:

1) Is there an item anywhere which gives a bonus to either all skill checks or all ability checks only which we could use as a basis for comparison?

2) If not, which would you rather have, a bonus to all skill checks or the same bonus to all ability checks? Or do you think they have roughly the same value?

heavyfuel
2019-05-30, 06:27 PM
Completely depends on the character. For casters I'd much rather have a boulnus to ability checks, since those include Initiative.

For other characters I'd probably go for skill checks.

Personally I'd make ability checks worth much more since the bonuses are more rare and benefit casters (who are already strong) more than other classes

Mike Miller
2019-05-30, 07:33 PM
I think it depends somewhat on the character, but I have a feeling that ability checks are generally better or more valuable to boost. Skill checks are fairly easy to boost with spells and items. Ability checks may be more difficult with fewer possibilities. I also feel that when you have to make an ability check, more is on the line. Just for one basic example, Initiate is a DEX check. If you boost all ability checks, you have just increased your odds of going earlier in EVERY battle.

Crake
2019-05-31, 12:37 AM
circlet of persuasion gives +3 to all cha checks, including skill and ability checks? 4500 for that, if you consider it bonus squared, that seems to be 500gp x bonus squared for a single ability type, so x6 (plus stacking ability modifier) for every ability?

Biggus
2019-05-31, 08:35 AM
circlet of persuasion gives +3 to all cha checks, including skill and ability checks? 4500 for that, if you consider it bonus squared, that seems to be 500gp x bonus squared for a single ability type, so x6 (plus stacking ability modifier) for every ability?

Well thought sir, thank you.

Kaleph
2019-05-31, 11:52 AM

Just to check if I've got it right - that would mean (1 + 5x1.5)x500xbonus^2, right?

Biggus
2019-06-01, 07:19 AM
Just to check if I've got it right - that would mean (1 + 5x1.5)x500xbonus^2, right?

For an item that takes up space on the body, yes. For an Ioun Stone it'd be 6x2x500xbonus^2.

RNightstalker
2019-06-01, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the free press!

I think ability improving ability checks would be more valuable as boosting them vs. skills seems to be harder to find.