PDA

View Full Version : 5e (PEACH) Ranger subclass: blessing of the dragon

MagneticKitty
2019-05-30, 07:11 PM
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-Lg8bxzc3xxbDPnNDvox

Too strong? Too weak? (I'm betting a little too strong)
How would you fix it if so?

Idea was a ranger who was a little better at casting and magic (their damage bonus goes there instead of to melee like the others).

Spectrulus
2019-05-30, 11:28 PM
So, I don't understand why the pseudodragon is involved, to be honest. The level 11 of dark vision + fluff is super weak, Gloomstalker
gets that at 3rd.

The Telepathic Bond spell makes no sense to me as dragon flavor either, I think legend lore would fit better given dragons' obsessions with treasure.

Spell List
Identify
Dragon's Breath
Elemental Weapon
Freedom of Movement
Legend Lore

My first guess would be:
3rd AC 13+Dex from scales, Darkvision, add 1d6 of dragon element damage to 1 attack/turn
7th Resistance to dragon's element, maybe something else
11th Blindsense 5ft, something else
15th Wings, advantage against fear effects.

MagneticKitty
2019-05-31, 10:14 AM
The reason why I chose telepathic bond was because pseudo dragons have telepathy.
Legendlore isn't bad..
My friend said the subclass was too strong, lol. So I will work on it again and see where I end up.

On a class with access to good armor, I feel unarmored a.c. is pretty much fluff.

Also gaining access to dragon born feats gives you scales a.c. as an option. And gaining access to 2 new feats at 11 isn't that bad I think

I redid it removing pseudo dragon things. Let me know what you think?

Breccia
2019-05-31, 03:09 PM
Too weak?

The 11th level power is incredibly niche. I'd actually recommend leaving it in in its entirely and also adding something else. "Proficiency in saving throws against breath weapons" is also niche, but not nearly as much, and gives them a much-needed Con boost in that department. (I don't know of a ton of Int, Wis or Cha breath weapons...) It's probably weak enough to give a two-fer without breaking anything. I was tempted to say "evasion against breath weapons" buuuuuuuuuuuuut that felt a little too far considering their Dex is probably through the roof.

MagneticKitty
2019-05-31, 06:38 PM
The 11th level power is incredibly niche. I'd actually recommend leaving it in in its entirely and also adding something else. "Proficiency in saving throws against breath weapons" is also niche, but not nearly as much, and gives them a much-needed Con boost in that department. (I don't know of a ton of Int, Wis or Cha breath weapons...) It's probably weak enough to give a two-fer without breaking anything. I was tempted to say "evasion against breath weapons" buuuuuuuuuuuuut that felt a little too far considering their Dex is probably through the roof.

I think that's a pretty good idea. But maybe advantage vs breath instead of proficiency.. because situational proficiency is a bit harder to track. And is irrelevant if you take resilient con.

Breccia
2019-05-31, 08:54 PM
I think that's a pretty good idea. But maybe advantage vs breath instead of proficiency.. because situational proficiency is a bit harder to track. And is irrelevant if you take resilient con.

Honestly, that was my first gut instinct, but I was worried it was too powerful. But, yeah, breath weapons aren't super common.