PDA

View Full Version : Help with gear for 9th level Moon Druid

Glarnog
2019-05-30, 10:23 PM
Getting back in to 5e this weekend. Dusted off my character who went through Curse of Strahd. We definitely missed loot. DM said when we start back up, the characters will have a chance to shop. I don't know what the availability will be like, but would love some help on what to look for.

Currently the druid is attuned to: ring of protection, luck stone, and a staff of frost. And the dm let's the ring and stone work in wild shape.

Stats: S 7, D 8, C 16, I 12, W, 20, C 10.
We do not play with feats. The rest of the party: an unmitigated pain in the ass paladin with a sun sword, shield guardian and a retinue, a trickery cleric, and a brand new bard.

I like to wild shape, though the dm is pretty strict on my character having observed the animal first. Here's hoping Waterdeep has a zoo and or giant scorpions on display.

Also any advice for tricks of the moon druid trade, because I'm pretty rusty.

Thanks all.

nickl_2000
2019-05-31, 07:05 AM
I would look to replace the Staff of Frost with a Staff of the Woodlands (or have both that you can change attunement on during the day). The spells aren't as good in the woodlands staff, but it gives other things that would be pretty useful in your caster form.

Other than that, maybe you could look for some insignia of the claws from Hoard of the Dragon Queen or some +X armor to help with that AC.

hymer
2019-05-31, 08:46 AM
Solid advice from nickl_2000. I'll add that there is a section on magical items in my druid guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd), post 10.

As for tricks of the trade, at level 9 I'd say: Don't rely overmuch on wild shape. Specifically, be wary of using spell slots to heal your wild shape. Elemental shapes at level 10 can breathe new life into wild shaping for combat purposes (and they have a language, allowing you to minionmance in wild shape). But even then it is only a part of your arsenal and tool box. Spells are and will be the more powerful and versatile part of your abilities of the two.

Glarnog
2019-06-01, 03:47 PM
Thanks nyckl and hymer! Great guide hymer, I remember reading it way when I made this character.

sithlordnergal
2019-06-01, 03:58 PM
Well, first off, I'd try to get a Staff of the Woodlands or Staff of Fire, and a Belt of Giant Strength. Find out from your DM if you can use a belt while in beast form, since that can buff your form a bit. Try to rp it, or find a way to describe it that would make sense. And do keep in mind that, once you get your elemental forms, Fire, Water, and Air have malleable shapes that allow them to fit in and through spaces only an inch wide. So you could still wear a belt that's medium sized.

Next, for Wild Shape, does Polymorph count as having "seen" a creature? You do technically turn the person into a non-magical version of that beast with all the stats of said beast. Polymorph does not require you to have seen any beasts beforehand so you could potentially use that to get more forms. Though gonna be honest, in one level you'll have Elemental forms which are far stronger. Just make sure you see a giant crocodile at some point since it is incredibly strong for a beast.