PDA

View Full Version : ( Vile Darkness ) What happens to sacrificed souls?

Conradine
2019-05-31, 11:50 AM
If a creature is sacrificed following the rules in the Book of Vile Darkness - and without taking further steps to bind or imprison the soul - what happens to this creature's soul?

denthor
2019-05-31, 04:07 PM
Consumed for personal power is one option soul powers your alter

Sacrificed unwilling to a different god. Your an evil orc worshipper of old one eye. You capture a Pelor cleric fell on battle but not negative enough to die. This is great sacrifice you prepare the cleric with the help of a quasit 24 hours later you plunge the knife the low point in the dark mass for you fellow orcs. Dice roll to see who reacts and how.

Third option this is just the thing you do to keep your alter up and running.

Mr Adventurer
2019-05-31, 04:56 PM
Consumed for personal power is one option soul powers your alter

Sacrificed unwilling to a different god. Your an evil orc worshipper of old one eye. You capture a Pelor cleric fell on battle but not negative enough to die. This is great sacrifice you prepare the cleric with the help of a quasit 24 hours later you plunge the knife the low point in the dark mass for you fellow orcs. Dice roll to see who reacts and how.

Third option this is just the thing you do to keep your alter up and running.

Er... What?

MisterKaws
2019-05-31, 07:15 PM
Er... What?

"Goes to good ol' Gruumsh."

liquidformat
2019-05-31, 08:04 PM
If a creature is sacrificed following the rules in the Book of Vile Darkness - and without taking further steps to bind or imprison the soul - what happens to this creature's soul?

I am slightly confused about your question, normally sacrifices don't involve binding or imprisoning the soul in fact you might be smote for short changing the god of the tasty soul you promised them if you bind or imprison the soul before sacrificing them...

Conradine
2019-06-01, 04:45 AM
Actually the BoVd says the blood and the life, and occasionally the soul are offered.
I seems to me a bit weird that Good souls could be sent to the Evil planes just by sacrificing them.

MisterKaws
2019-06-01, 08:04 AM
Actually the BoVd says the blood and the life, and occasionally the soul are offered.
I seems to me a bit weird that Good souls could be sent to the Evil planes just by sacrificing them.

That's why it's an act of utmost evil: you're unjustly condemning innocents to an eternity of suffering and torment.

And because of the usual non-interference pacts between higher entities and their deities, the sacrificed creature's patron god can't just fetch their soul mid-way to hell; That'd mean breaking the pact. So you have the hell-breaking arcs where PCs go bail their imprisoned friend out of hell, with the imprisoned PC's owner taking a temporary character, most likely what would otherwise be an NPC experienced in going around hell (maybe a literal Hellbreaker if it matches the party) to guide them.

There, now you got an adventure hook for characters in the early 10s.

Ursus Spelaeus
2019-06-01, 10:41 AM
That's why it's an act of utmost evil: you're unjustly condemning innocents to an eternity of suffering and torment.

And because of the usual non-interference pacts between higher entities and their deities, the sacrificed creature's patron god can't just fetch their soul mid-way to hell; That'd mean breaking the pact. So you have the hell-breaking arcs where PCs go bail their imprisoned friend out of hell, with the imprisoned PC's owner taking a temporary character, most likely what would otherwise be an NPC experienced in going around hell (maybe a literal Hellbreaker if it matches the party) to guide them.

There, now you got an adventure hook for characters in the early 10s.

Sounds like the harrowing of hell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

MisterKaws
2019-06-01, 11:44 AM
Sounds like the harrowing of hell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

Never said it was a new hook. Pretty much everyone who played D&D for a while did some similar adventure :smalltongue:

Conradine
2019-06-02, 02:20 PM
I always though the sacrifice involved only the act of killing, and the soul needed more powerful spells.
I don't know.

Tvtyrant
2019-06-02, 07:20 PM
I think this is going to be setting dependent. The sacrifice rules suggest that the more awful the ceremony the more the deity or fiend offers, such as torturing the victim overnight and having a demon eat bits of them alive.

This could be because it taints the ritualist, or the victims soul, or be because the patron is just a sadist.

Âmesang
2019-06-02, 07:51 PM
Now is such an outcome better or worse than a soul being outright destroyed when expended as a material component?

"Human, have you ever been to Hell? I think not. I'd rather not exist than go back to that…" — Azrael, Dogma