PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Downtime - Mechanics for PC training soldiers

Dragons_Ire
2019-05-31, 01:31 PM
One of my PCs, a human fighter (noble), wants to offer to train some of a lord's men. Does anyone have any ideas how I could resolve this mechanically, and what I could use for the reward? I can't find anything relevant in the DMG or XGtE.

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-31, 01:54 PM
This edition has gone out of its way not to provide mechanics for down in the weeds details like that.
It's a feature, not a bug.

What value do you see accruing by the addition of said mechanics?
For whom is this fun?
You don't need to roll for this.

There's already a way ahead for ideas like this.

Take a look at the down time material in the DMG.
Compare what proficiency level you feel that training (someone) to do (something with weapons and armor) represents as compared to a skill, tool, or language proficiency.
Apply time and GP.
Sorted.

This is an opportunity for you to use your creativity.

dragoeniex
2019-05-31, 02:05 PM
Well hey, that's a great way for the player to engage with the NPCs! You could handle this a number of ways depending on how much time you want to devote to it on-screen and whether it's a short or long-term offer.

Some of the basics to consider would be having the noble draft up some activities to augment the men's training regimen, actually lead some training exercises, or the ever popular combat demonstration. Drafting up is a more passive way of passing along pointers, so I'd probably have a player start there and then do at least one of the other two. Be prepared to describe trainees making their way through long treks or peculiar activities as warranted; this is a chance for the player to become a pseudo-DM and encourage skill checks from the people they're working with.

Combat demonstration is the most straight-forward. This could be sparring with a couple of the men and pointing out flaws when they miss or what was done right when they land a hit, etc. Or maybe there's a member of the unit who resents this volunteer instructor and challenges them, hoping to humiliate them in front of the others. Then you're in a regular 1v1 fight.

If your player is more passive or doesn't like making things up on the fly, you could be the one to come in with a rough outline of what the men already do to train so the PC can monitor and critique as you describe. This lets them toss things in instead of having to paint a whole picture.

In sum, I'd boil it down to 3 steps: Have the PC share some of their own training routine (can be as long or short as they like), let them either oversee some of the exercises they've proposed or sit in on the existing training regimen (depends on player interest, keep this mini-game like to avoid too much time sunk), then have either an upstart angrily challenge the PC or a couple men respectfully ask for a more hands-on demonstration. How they're approached can depend on how they've treated the people they're training so far.

Even if they've done well, I think an upstart is more fun. The PC could even have a couple of men cheering for them and booing the opposition if they've been doing well.

Your reward is going to come down to something level-appropriate. It depends on how powerful this lord is, how useful the training is, etc. A sum of gold is never a bad way to reward services.

If you go with weapons or armor, it shouldn't be something the trainees could reasonably use. Maybe a note with the lord's seal they can bring to the local blacksmith and exchange for something like a +1 weapon or shield (if appropriate), boots of speed, etc-- You can decide what's available and reasonable for the trade.

If you want something on the quirky side, you could go with a few magical trinkets the lord hasn't had any use for. I'm a fan of feather tokens myself (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Feather%20Token#content). Some dust of dryness to go along with, mayhaps.

If your noble PC is on the prim and proper side or likes doing face work, glamoured studded leather armor would be a lovely fit.