PDA

View Full Version : Written Props in Other Languages?

Kelt
2019-05-31, 06:06 PM
I'm making an in-game prop, a notebook for a character of mine, a changeling. She keeps a journal detailing her adventures with the party, kept in multiple languages to prevent most people from reading it easily.

I originally thought to just write in multiple colors of ink, but she speaks about a dozen different languages now and I'm running out of pens. What is your usual go-to for writing in multiple languages?

MisterKaws
2019-05-31, 07:25 PM
Eh, Comprehend Languages is a first-level spell. Finding an item that gives it is likely easier than finding a +1 longsword.

Your best choice is to ward your notes if you really do need to have them, or at the very least encrypt them(probably a Bluff check, opposed by reader's Decipher Script or Sense Motive).

flappeercraft
2019-05-31, 08:05 PM
Well, you could write in different fonts as an alternative to different colors or combined with it.

SirNibbles
2019-05-31, 08:07 PM
I'm making an in-game prop, a notebook for a character of mine, a changeling. She keeps a journal detailing her adventures with the party, kept in multiple languages to prevent most people from reading it easily.

I originally thought to just write in multiple colors of ink, but she speaks about a dozen different languages now and I'm running out of pens. What is your usual go-to for writing in multiple languages?

You could always just write what language you're writing in before the passage (yes, I know that's a bit boring). Alternatively, you could just write in different IRL languages and use colours for that too. Each IRL language you know allows you to reuse your pens. Red English could be Dwarven and Red French could be Abyssal, for example.

Well, you could write in different fonts as an alternative to different colors or combined with it.

All caps could work too as a 'different font'.

Duke of Urrel
2019-05-31, 08:46 PM
Eh, Comprehend Languages is a first-level spell. Finding an item that gives it is likely easier than finding a +1 longsword.

Your best choice is to ward your notes if you really do need to have them, or at the very least encrypt them(probably a Bluff check, opposed by reader's Decipher Script or Sense Motive).

This is good advice, but the skill you need to use to create an encrypted message is Decipher Script skill. The rules appear on page 78 of the Rules Compendium.

You can also decode an encrypted message by making a Decipher Script check whose DC is 10 plus the Decipher Script modifier of the creator of the encryption, but this "requires a day of uninterrupted work, and subsequent retries each take a week."

MisterKaws
2019-06-01, 11:41 AM
This is good advice, but the skill you need to use to create an encrypted message is Decipher Script skill. The rules appear on page 78 of the Rules Compendium.

You can also decode an encrypted message by making a Decipher Script check whose DC is 10 plus the Decipher Script modifier of the creator of the encryption, but this "requires a day of uninterrupted work, and subsequent retries each take a week."

Nice find! Didn't know they actually bothered to make that a thing.

Maybe you could actually stack both, by encrypting the message, and having the message itself worded in "Thief Speech"(I believe this is a thing, but I don't remember the book where this is mentioned).

Aniikinis
2019-06-01, 02:31 PM
Nice find! Didn't know they actually bothered to make that a thing.

Maybe you could actually stack both, by encrypting the message, and having the message itself worded in "Thief Speech"(I believe this is a thing, but I don't remember the book where this is mentioned).

You're thinking of Thieves' Cant, and it's been rolled into the Bluff skill since the Innuendo skill was done away with instead of being it's own language.

Esprit15
2019-06-01, 02:45 PM
I tend to just write with either Cyrillic, katakana, hiragana, or Greek script, but write the actual words themselves in either English or French (since those are the only two languages that I am proficient enough in to express complex thoughts right now). Combined with the Latin alphabet already, that gives me ten writing options, more if I also want to add colors as well.