PDA

View Full Version : Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge #6: Dippin' Dots

The Kool
2019-05-31, 11:24 PM
Hello, and welcome to the

Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge!

Round 6: Dippin' Dots

A dip here, a dip there, another dip over here... pretty soon you'll have a complete build! Or... something resembling one, anyway. This character build will be from levels 1-20. You may take no more than 2 levels in any given class. While you may be tempted to grab a dozen different classes that all build on the same thing, there's one more restriction: You must have at least three different 'power sources'. Such sources include Divine, Arcane, Psionics, Incarnum, Martial, and so forth, but you may also make an argument for aspects such as full BAB, skill utilization, and other things not traditionally labeled as power sources. The more you diversify, the more you'll be on theme, but you must have at least three.

Know where you came from: This competition is based on the Iron Chef Competition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583331-Iron-Chef-Optimisation-Challenge-in-the-Playground-XCVIII) rules. With the exceptions listed above, we use the same rules and same list of allowed content. As a quick recap: No Dragon Magazine (Dragon Compendium is acceptable), 3.0 content is allowed unless it has been updated to 3.5 (Dragon Magazine updates are specifically allowed), no Leadership or equivalent, no third party material, no generic classes. Flaws are frowned upon as usual, and Item Familiars continue to be banned because they are just that bad.

By entering into this contest, you agree to become a judge. That's right, this is pay to play. Due to our contestants also judging, you are limited to one entry; should you feel compelled to submit more than one, only the last one submitted will count. When submitting an entry, PM it to the chair (me). Should you need to change anything, submit a fully updated version and I'll simply post the last given build. Be careful not to include any references to yourself in the build, I only lightly skim the builds and won't catch something buried in it that identifies you.

The deadline for builds is three weeks from now: Friday, June 21st, at 11pm EDT.

Once all the builds have been posted, follow these guidelines for judging:

1. Entrants will read all of the entries and rate all the other builds. Each build must be given at least a short paragraph of observations, including at least a passing elaboration on each of the following categories: Originality, Power, Elegance, and Theme*. Entrants will not judge their own builds.

2. The judge will summarize all of their thoughts comparing the entries into a final paragraph, and end with a first place selection and a second place selection. If there are at least 5 entries, a third place will also be chosen.

3. These judgments, just like the builds, will be PM'd to the chair. Any entrant that does not judge will be disqualified. You have one week from the posting of the builds to submit your judgment. At the end of this one week period, all the judgments will be posted and a final ranking given.

Scoring: All first place ratings will earn 4 points. All second place ratings will earn 2 points. All third place ratings, should they be needed, will earn 1 point. Ties will be broken by number of 1st place rankings, then by number of 2nd place rankings. If the builds are still tied after that, the medal is shared.

There is no dispute process! What you see is what you get. Take it all in good stride, keep things friendly and cordial, and we'll move on promptly to the next round.

Spectator input: Spectators may chime in a vote for Honorable Mention. It's your way of providing recognition, and votes may be either posted in the thread or PM'd to the chair. If we receive none, the chair may choose one, but there may not always be an honorable mention.

*The four categories are mostly adopted straight from Iron Chef. Originality, Power, and Elegance use their same definitions, but Theme is the rough analogue for Use of the Special Ingredient. Since what form that takes varies from competition to competition, this category encompasses how well the build utilizes whatever element defines this round, or how well they use the given theme.

Round 1: E6 Flawed Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?568952-Game-Warper-s-Optimization-Challenge-1-E6-Flawed-Commoner)
Round 2: Dragonwrought Kobolds Are True Dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?571705-Game-Warper-s-Optimization-Challenge-2-Dragonwrought-Kobolds-are-True-Dragons)
Round 3: Beflawed E6 BeatSticks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576522-Game-Warper-s-Optimization-Challenge-3-Beflawed-E6-Beatsticks-Dragon-310-allowed!)
Round 4: Amazing and Terrible E6 Werebeasts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?580778-Gamerwarper-s-Optimization-Challenge-4-Amazing-and-Terrible-E6-werebeasts)
Round 5: E8 Madness! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?586378-Game-Warper-s-Optimization-5-E8-Madness!)

jdizzlean
2019-06-01, 08:41 AM
gives new meaning to a diplomancer...

/cymbals crashing

Falontani
2019-06-17, 09:38 AM
finally working on my entry.

jdizzlean
2019-06-17, 12:03 PM
i have an idea, but w/o a significant extension, won't be able to do it. if you find yourself in need of entries i can help w/ enough time, but don't feel the need to extend it just for me :p

The Kool
2019-06-17, 12:22 PM
Extension granted, I have none yet. I'll be in touch about the new end date, I'm afk for the moment.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-18, 03:20 PM
Do we have to make a "sources" entry here too? Considering the number of dips required, it sounds like a huge pain.

Otherwise I am indeed working on my first ever contest entry, just for this. I hope you like it!

jdizzlean
2019-06-18, 04:27 PM
Do we have to make a "sources" entry here too? Considering the number of dips required, it sounds like a huge pain.

Otherwise I am indeed working on my first ever contest entry, just for this. I hope you like it!

you should always cite your sources. things are listed in multiple places, and if you don't and whoever judges looks at your entry using a different source than you intended, that has different language in it, well, you can see how that's not good.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-06-19, 03:01 AM
Somehow I have only just noticed this. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will be struck by some kind of inspiration meteorite, but I probably won't be able to get a build in.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-19, 06:07 AM
I already sent The Kool my build through PMs. Its the first time I participate in such a contest, so here's hoping I didn't forget something essential !
I will send a second message with my sources tonight then.

The Kool
2019-06-19, 04:03 PM
One build in. You guys have plenty of time.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-06-20, 12:52 AM
I'm not ruling out the possibility that I will be struck by some kind of inspiration meteorite...

I'll be blatted with a rake if that isn't pretty much exactly what happened. Build is pretty much done; now I just need to do the fluff. Feels weird to be doing that second, rather than first or concurrent with the crunch, incidentally...

The Kool
2019-06-20, 03:05 PM
With a second and third in the works, I'm gonna set a soft deadline for one week from now. Sometime around the latter half of next week, unless I have granted further extension, I'll try to remember to post things and initiate judging.

Falontani
2019-06-27, 04:37 PM
my build is almost done; I'll have it in by the 28th, if you don't do it now

The Kool
2019-06-27, 10:39 PM
Gonna poke you two as I haven't seen either build yet! We've got a promise for one tomorrow, so I'll give our third until the end of the week.

The Kool
2019-06-30, 01:18 PM
I have a request for an extension of about half a week, and I'm inclined to allow it. As you've seen, I'm not the most on top of things myself, but as long as you guys are cool with us lingering a bit for another, I'm all for it.

The Kool
2019-07-17, 10:35 PM
I'm slowly coming back into existence. Computer is set up again, but I have a few papers to write this week. I'll check in as I can over the next few days and get things going.

Empyreal Dragon
2019-07-17, 11:41 PM
Since this was delayed, I'd like to hop in. Is it too late?

The Kool
2019-08-13, 08:10 PM
Go for it. I am dealing with the aftermath of moving into a too-small location, which means I need to de-clutter to decrease depression and get my brain into a state where I can do things online again. I swear I exist... but I'm also entirely too upset at the resident feline for destroying an expensive monitor...