PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spy/assassin-like character

Selion
2019-06-01, 09:09 AM
I had this idea about a possible next character.
The character should join the party as a actor/comedian, but he's secretly pursuing an assassination contract to kill the BBEG/underling/whatever the DM likes.
My first choice was a Red Mantis Assassin (rogue 3/bard2/RMA 1), but i realized that it would be really hard playing freely an adventurer with a such strong connection with a powerful organization.
So i thought about another class which would offer:
- Limited spellcasting abilities focused in illusions and enchantment
- stealth/disguise/social skill monkey
- enough physical prowess to dispatch of her victims
So i came up with the Sandman bard, follower of Calistra for additional flavor.
BTW in respect to the original Red Mantis Assassin it lacks martial abilities because this character concept is both feat starved and Many Abilities Dependant (MAD) as hell, so help me overcoming this hardship (funny fact, sandman has incidentally a better assassination tool than RMA)
Lets start with race: i would like drow or eventually half drow (either elf or half-elf) if my master would not allow non core classes.
Elves have an alternative racial trait that gives detect thought 1/day as SLA, which would be wonderful on a spy/assassin, so i have two routes:
melee - requires weapon finesse and deadly agility because the character is already MAD and a high dmg/AC is required, i cannot spread out points in both strength and dexterity
ranged - requires point blank shot and precise shot, otherwise it's impossible to deliver efficiently sneak attacks
Because they both require two feats i would like melee more, but it's not necessary.
Then i need the feat spellsong, if i have room "accomplished sneak attacker" or "two weapon fighting" to improve my melee damage.
So the build should look like that
Abilities distribution should be: dex-cha-con-int-wis-str (wis and str dumped to 7)
Elf
Alternate Racial Traits:
Blended View (darkvision in place of keen senses, to flavor a half-drow)
Sense Thoughts
Overwhelming Magic (spell focus-enchantment)

Traits: -?- irrepressible (cha to will saves against charm/compulsion; I'm a spy! I don't want to be easily charmed)

Feats:
1th weapon finesse
3th deadly accuracy
5th spellsong accomplished sneak attacker
7th Two weapons fighting

Thank you for attention, any other idea that would fit the concept?
Edit: removed spellsong from build because the sandman gets a similar ability at level 9

Palanan
2019-06-01, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Selion
So i came up with the Sandman bard, follower of Calistra for additional flavor.

What in particular do you like about the sandman bard?

As an alternative, let me suggest the eldritch scoundrel (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/eldritch-scoundrel-rogue/), which should fill your main requirements of a stealthy skillmonkey with both spellcasting and physical combat skills. If you can use an Unchained rogue then you’ll get Weapon Finesse for free. You do lose Diplomacy and Disguise as class skills, but you should be able to gain those back via traits.

Selion
2019-06-01, 10:28 AM
What in particular do you like about the sandman bard?

As an alternative, let me suggest the eldritch scoundrel (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo-rogue-archetypes/eldritch-scoundrel-rogue/), which should fill your main requirements of a stealthy skillmonkey with both spellcasting and physical combat skills. If you can use an Unchained rogue then you’ll get Weapon Finesse for free. You do lose Diplomacy and Disguise as class skills, but you should be able to gain those back via traits.

I came up with the sandman just because he's a bard with sneak attack.
I hadn't thought about eldritch scoundrel, it's certainly feasible, with pros and con:
what i'd get- slightly better sneak attack, 2 feats (finesse training) , a few rogue talents, better spell list (which i wouldn't use because the spells i search for are already in bard spell list, some even at lower levels)
what i'd lose- no armors and shields, int as casting stat instead of cha (more useful as a spy), trap finding, lot of class features, in particular:
Sneakspell: bonus DC against flat footed targets
steal spell: out of character concept, but still good
slumber song: very flavorful assassination tool
Dramatic Subtext: it comes late, but casting unnoticed is HUGE

I think i'm leaning to the sandman bard

Palanan
2019-06-01, 10:50 AM
Fair enough, but you did ask about other ideas.

And you didn't mention Steal Spell in your OP, so I assumed it wasn't something that mattered much to you.

Selion
2019-06-01, 10:55 AM
Fair enough, but you did ask about other ideas.

And you didn't mention Steal Spell in your OP, so I assumed it wasn't something that mattered much to you.

Y, of course, I appreciate the hints the same. You're right, spell steal is not mandatory