PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a Merchant

Blackhawk748
2019-06-01, 03:32 PM
It's pretty much what it says on the tin, I want to make a Merchant. However, I want the Merchant to actually be capable in combat, so that's a bit of an issue. This will be 3.5. Try and keep the Setting Specific stuff out of the recommendations, and definitely keep the Dragon Mag stuff out, but if something is perfect, toss it out there.

Requirements
-Is an actual trader (Needs Appraise and some Cha skills for negotiations)
-Needs to not suck at Combat
-Preferably be a ranged combatant
-Needs to be able to do this without be completely reliant on spells.

Bonus Points
-Have an Animal Companion
-Have some way to support the guards

So based on my list, Bard obviously springs to mind as does Rogue. Cleric could probably cover some of this. Anyone else got suggestions?

Palanan
2019-06-01, 03:46 PM
Rogue seems like a decent choice, since that gives you plenty of skill points. Alternatively, ranger gives you reasonable skill points, a couple free archery feats, and that animal companion you mentioned. I could see a ranger/merchant who travels with his wares on the caravan routes, both guiding and defending as necessary.

You haven't mentioned whether this is 3.X or Pathfinder, and it would help to know what sources are available. For instance, if you'd rather not go with ranger, then the Wild Cohort feat will get you an animal companion, but that depends on whether online material is allowed.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-01, 03:57 PM
Rogue seems like a decent choice, since that gives you plenty of skill points. Alternatively, ranger gives you reasonable skill points, a couple free archery feats, and that animal companion you mentioned. I could see a ranger/merchant who travels with his wares on the caravan routes, both guiding and defending as necessary.

You haven't mentioned whether this is 3.X or Pathfinder, and it would help to know what sources are available. For instance, if you'd rather not go with ranger, then the Wild Cohort feat will get you an animal companion, but that depends on whether online material is allowed.

Fair point, I've added the limits to the OP. It's 3.5, and I'd like to keep the sources to first party and non-setting specific stuff. Obviously, if something is basically perfect please recommend it. Online sources should be ok, as its rather easy to show my DM what it is.

Endarire
2019-06-01, 04:17 PM
Player's Guide to Faerun has the Mercantile Background feat for extra money and better buy/sell prices.

Eberron has Artificers which are very crafty and sorta casty.

Druid is an option, since it has Diplomacy and Handle Animal. This is useful if you like being a creature peddler.

Factotum is possible since it grants all skills as class as well as minor Wizard 'casting.'

Cloistered Cleric is possible since it's a Cleric with more skill points, skills, and spells.

Palanan
2019-06-01, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Endarire
Player's Guide to Faerun has the Mercantile Background feat for extra money and better buy/sell prices.

Eberron has Artificers which are very crafty and sorta casty.

These are both great, but the OP specified he'd rather avoid setting-specific material.

Endarire
2019-06-01, 04:35 PM
I made my recommendations based on the OP's reply which stated, "Obviously, if something is basically perfect please recommend it."

MisterKaws
2019-06-01, 04:48 PM
Human(Bonus feat: Able Learner) Monk 1/Swordsage 7/Drunken Master 1/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 10 is what you want.

Diplomacy as a class skill forever(maximum=level because of Monk and cost 1/rank because of Able Learner), can throw bags of money at people, and the bags of money automatically return to you(on a natural 1 they burst open and spray coins at the opponent, which lures guards to grab them out of greed). Plus you get at-will magic item appraisal from Swordsage 7.

You can get a Wild Cohort early on for the animal companion.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-01, 05:13 PM
I made my recommendations based on the OP's reply which stated, "Obviously, if something is basically perfect please recommend it."

And I thank you for it. I can probably get Mercantile Background through.

Human(Bonus feat: Able Learner) Monk 1/Swordsage 7/Drunken Master 1/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 10 is what you want.

Diplomacy as a class skill forever(maximum=level because of Monk and cost 1/rank because of Able Learner), can throw bags of money at people, and the bags of money automatically return to you(on a natural 1 they burst open and spray coins at the opponent, which lures guards to grab them out of greed). Plus you get at-will magic item appraisal from Swordsage 7.

You can get a Wild Cohort early on for the animal companion.

That is certainly amusing.

Palanan
2019-06-01, 05:25 PM
Then why tell people to avoid setting-specific material?

:smallannoyed:

Blackhawk748
2019-06-01, 05:33 PM
Then why tell people to avoid setting-specific material?

:smallannoyed:

Because I don't want the entire build to need to hinge on it in case I can't get it through. Mercantile Background is a neat thing that if works is nice, but if I can't get it the build will still work fine

Nando
2019-06-02, 01:38 AM
Power of Faerûn hast the Merchant Prince prestige class.
5 lvls, minor arcane spellcasting, bardic knowledge equivalent and minor bonusses on skills and aves. But you'd have to use the DMG II rules for owning a buisness, to really have a profit, I guess.

maxion
2019-06-03, 06:52 AM
You could also go "spiritual/enlightened" merchant ie. Binder which has some really nice merchanty skills like:

- Naberius's Persuasive Words and Silver Tongue
- Malphas's Bird’s Eye Viewing
- Andromalius's Sense Trickery
- Karsus’s Senses
- Agares's True Speech
- Eurynome and Buer for travelling stuff
and thats only half of vestiges.

Moreover Binder can get Negotiator as bonus feat which is needed for Merchant Prince PrC if you'd want to pick it.

PS. Rogue has acf Antiquarian:

When examining divine items and religious relics, you gain a bonus equal to your Wisdom modifier on all Appraise checks as an extraordinary ability.

In addition, if you examine a magic item created using a spell from the cleric or paladin list, or an item with special religious significance, you can attempt a Knowledge (religion) check (DC 10 + the item's caster level) to identify it exactly as a spell-like ability. This works like the identify spell (caster level equals your rogue level) but requires no material component and can be performed as a full round action. You can use this ability on only one item per day.

maxion
2019-06-03, 08:43 AM
There is also Evangelist PrC, which has bard-like skills, could work well as merchant and support for their guards.