PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monster tweaking (brainstorming)

Great Dragon
2019-06-01, 06:27 PM
Putting this up not just for feedback, but for anyone that wants to "Homebrew" monster/s or challenge set up, for PEACH-ing.

Ok. I came up with an idea for a challenge for my players.

They are 4 fifth level PCs.
Redemption Paladin 5
Swashbuckler 3/Hexblade 2
Mountain Druid 5.
Champion Fighter 5

The Skullyard

Take a CR 4 Flameskull, change AC to 15 with 75 HP.
Ray (x2) is +5 to hit and does 5d6 damage.
Fireball spell 1x day 8d6 damage Dex DC 15 halves.

Now add three more Skulls, altered.

Shockskull (DotMM) as above, but Lighting damage.
Lightning Bolt 1x day. 8d6 damage Dex DC 15 halves

Frostskull - as above, but Cold damage.
"Frostball" 1x day. 8d6 damage Dex DC 15 halves.

Screamskull - as above, but Thunder damage.
I'm playing this as being like Thunderwave, as a burst around it. 8d6 damage and pushed away 10 feet, Con DC 15 halves and negates push.

They all have spells: Shield 3x day, Blur 2x day.

I was also thinking about giving them an ability similar to the Goblin Boss' redirect: able to make a nearby floating skull take the hit, instead of them.

(There is a total of 100 skulls, so there is a limit. The Flying Skulls are AC 12 with 10 hp each, and no attacks. Cannot use Help Action.)

But, unlike the redirect ability, they not only have to see the attack, they need to use a Reaction and make a Dexterity Save DC equal to the Attack Total to do this. Since they also have the ability to do an Attack of Opportunity with their Ray, as a Reaction; means they can't do both on the same round.

I was also thinking about adding the ability to use Hide as a Bonus Action to "get lost amongst the skulls" making targeting them harder.
Not sure, maybe a DC 13 Perception check to find?

Would adding Lair Actions be too much?

So, I'm trying to figure out the CR of each, as well as what Threat level this Encounter is.

I was thinking CR 5 each, and Deadly, but want to check with more experienced DMs.

Now, I want this Encounter to be difficult to defeat, but not impossible.

Should I put each Skull in a separate room?
Each with only 25 Flying Skulls.

Eliminating all the Floating Skulls will make it impossible for Hiding tricks.

Retreating out of the room is possible, but the Skulls are smart enough to set up Ambushes.

Great Dragon
2019-06-24, 09:45 AM
Ok. Finally got some time to do some research.

Using the monster list by PheonixPhyre I came up with:

+2 AC = No effective Change to CR.
Increased HP = No effective Change to CR.
Increased damage from Special Attacks = +1 CR.

One Skull = easy Encounter.
Two Skulls = moderate Encounter
Three Skulls = hard Encounter
Four Skulls = deadly Encounter.

Is this correct?

Great Dragon
2019-06-27, 08:10 PM
The party defeated the Skullyard!!!
By the skin of their teeth.

Maxidion
2019-07-03, 08:19 PM
Should I put each Skull in a separate room?
Each with only 25 Flying Skulls.

I was going to say something but...

The party defeated the Skullyard!!!
By the skin of their teeth.

Though I have something to say about...

One Skull = easy Encounter.
Two Skulls = moderate Encounter
Three Skulls = hard Encounter
Four Skulls = deadly Encounter.

Is this correct?

According the CR system, an encounter with a challenge rating of 5 is a moderate encounter for a lv 5 party, and a CR of 10 would be a deadly encounter for a lv 5 party.

According to the exp system though the fact that there is less of them than you (In the case you did have them all in separate rooms, or maybe split them into groups), the encounter difficulty would actually decrease due to action economy. The exp system is far more accurate, but it can be difficult to remember all the rules for calculating difficulty with that.

I congratulate your party on surviving that, they defeated a total CR of 20 (twice a deadly encounter), and I think that if the skulls hiding and maybe redirect abilities were factored in, they would almost deserve a CR of 6. If you did indeed have the skulls all in the same room then its amazing the players survived.

Great Dragon
2019-07-03, 11:41 PM
@Maxidion:
Thanks for those calculations.

And they played it smart and went after the McGuffin, and the party pulled Support while the Paladin did:

Branding Smite (2d6), Attack with Holy Longword (1d10+4+2d6), and dropped her highest Slot for Smite (+3d8).
On the Radiant-vulnerable McGuffin.

Which did enough Radiant damage to Nuke it into powder. McGuffin was what kept the Skullyard (and the NecroDungeon) going.

Maxidion
2019-07-04, 01:23 AM
@Maxidion:
Thanks for those calculations.

And they played it smart and went after the McGuffin, and the party pulled Support while the Paladin did:

Branding Smite (2d6), Attack with Holy Longword (1d10+4+2d6), and dropped her highest Slot for Smite (+3d8).
On the Radiant-vulnerable McGuffin.

Which did enough Radiant damage to Nuke it into powder. McGuffin was what kept the Skullyard (and the NecroDungeon) going.

Your welcome.

I have noticed that most non-murder hobo player teams usually play it smart and thus can get by incredibly tough challenges without dying. Sometimes though I have seen players trying to be so smart they completely ignore (the McGuffin?) and end up getting into more trouble than necessary. (btw, a deadly encounter is meant to be an encounter difficult enough that one of the player's will likely end up dead, like dead dead, not unconscious dead).

P.S. Thanks for telling me how the skullyard went.

Great Dragon
2019-07-05, 06:25 PM
DMG EXP Calculations. Pages 82-84.
Creating a Monster DMG pg 283.

Not having a physical copy is a pain!!

Alicorn
Ok, the Pegasus is a CR 2.
And, the Unicorn is a CR 5.

So would the Legendary Alicorn be a CR 8?
Move 50 (1,000 lb limit) Fly 50. (500 lb limit)

Innate Telepathy 60 feet.
At Will: Viscous Mockery, Eldritch Blast (Radiant with Repelling), and Raise Dead.
Once a day: Sickening Radiance as Aura. (Suggested by DM Peter)

Save DC 14.
3 Spell slots: Phantasmal Killer, Greater Invisibility, Counterspell.

Healing Touch 3/day for 5d8 HP each.
Teleport 3 times a day.

Attacks are considered magical.
Multi-attack.
+8 Hit 2d8+4 blunt (x2 hooves) and 2d10 Pierce (Horn).

Same Legendary Actions as Unicorns.

Great Dragon
2019-07-12, 06:47 AM
I really don't like taking Agency away from a Player. Even Dominate usually wears off.

As such, while I like the Intellect Devourer, I don't like it's Ability to instantly eat your brain and steal your memories, and then pretending to be you, rejoining the party to later backstab/betray.

Doppelgangers and other Evil Shapechanging beings, are bad enough.

Now, I like the Devourer's Psychic damage power, so I'm keeping that.

The Reduction of Intelligence, I'm not so sure about: maybe just a Stun lasting 3d6 rounds?
With a save each round to negate?

The real problem I have is: what to replace the Brain Thief Ability with?

Idea: still called Brain Thief:
The Target makes an Intelligence Save.
Upon a failure, the Devourer duplicates an Ability (DM determines) that the Creature has.

A Class or Subclass Ability or a Feat.
A spell and the Slots for that level.

I'm making a Greater Intellect Devourer (CR 10) to have the Classic Brain Thief Abilities.

Great Dragon
2019-07-12, 12:02 PM
I need some way to "Heal" Undead.
Some Undead do have a regeneration Ability, like Vampires. But most of these are high CR, and I need ways for Low CR Undead to "recover" from damage, so that if a PC injured, say, a Zombie, and then later Encountered the same one, it wasn't stuck at 1 HP, or whatever was left from the last fight.

Negative Energy Wave does this, and maybe one more?

I need more options.

Feat.
Grave's Lullaby.
This feat causes any spell that deals Necrotic damage to Heal affected Undead. (?)

Great Dragon
2019-07-25, 12:33 PM
Another Undead Querry:

Awaken Undead (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/awaken-undead--1468/index.html)

Ok. I'm thinking that the effect for this doesn't really justify being a 7th level spell in 5e. (Or even 3x, but that's a separate issue)

I'm also wondering why Create Undead can't make Intelligent Zombies/Skeletons.

For just making Z/S Intelligent, to the limit of their Racial stat in the MM (10 for those Humanoids not listed) this could be a 5th level Necromancy spell.

Change the Material Component to a 200 gp Onyx Gem, that is consumed.

Abilities and Features from any past Life are not gained, but these undead do gain any Racial traits that apply, and can learn Class levels with features, feats, and so on.

(Undead controlled by a Necromancer are limited to half the caster's level, adjusting total number controlled based on new CR)

Thoughts?

Maxidion
2019-08-02, 06:48 PM
Hey, sorry I've been gone so long. I'm back now, but will probably only be able to visit the sight about once a week due limited time. I will try to answer one post on this thread a week and do some reading on ancient realms, among other things. So first question.

DMG EXP Calculations. Pages 82-84.
Creating a Monster DMG pg 283.

Not having a physical copy is a pain!!

Alicorn
Ok, the Pegasus is a CR 2.
And, the Unicorn is a CR 5.

So would the Legendary Alicorn be a CR 8?
Move 50 (1,000 lb limit) Fly 50. (500 lb limit)

Innate Telepathy 60 feet.
At Will: Viscous Mockery, Eldritch Blast (Radiant with Repelling), and Raise Dead.
Once a day: Sickening Radiance as Aura. (Suggested by DM Peter)

Save DC 14.
3 Spell slots: Phantasmal Killer, Greater Invisibility, Counterspell.

Healing Touch 3/day for 5d8 HP each.
Teleport 3 times a day.

Attacks are considered magical.
Multi-attack.
+8 Hit 2d8+4 blunt (x2 hooves) and 2d10 Pierce (Horn).

Same Legendary Actions as Unicorns.

I tried to answer this before, but couldn't find the necessary information; I still couldn't. I really don't know about calculating the challenge ratings of monsters. I just go off of what is similar, what are the differences between this and the similar creature and what level of a party would consider it a normal challenge. So especially since (but even if I could) I can't see the HP of this creature, I really don't know what CR it would have.

But, CR aside, this looks like another well designed creature. Sorry for my lack of useful information.

Great Dragon
2019-08-03, 10:17 AM
Hey, sorry I've been gone so long. I'm back now, but will probably only be able to visit the sight about once a week due limited time. I will try to answer one post on this thread a week and do some reading on ancient realms, among other things.

Welcome back. I'm very glade that this thread didn't die.
Now that I know that you're doing about one reply a week, I'll adjust my expectations.

I tried to answer this before, but couldn't find the necessary information; I still couldn't. I really don't know about calculating the challenge ratings of monsters. I just go off of what is similar, what are the differences between this and the similar creature and what level of a party would consider it a normal challenge. So especially since (but even if I could) I can't see the HP of this creature, I really don't know what CR it would have.
Opps. I get D&D Monster info from Donjon (https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/monsters/)
It has filters to search by Type (Celestial in this case) Challenge, Environment and Source (Book)
MM = Monster Manual * VgM = Volo's Guide to Monsters * MtF = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Only what is in the SRD (MM, minus some monsters) is listed on the site for pop-up information.

(MM) CR 5: The Unicorn has 9d10 HD and +13 hp
with +7 to hit and 2d6 +4 hooves (twice) and 1d8 +4 horn.

I figured that the Alicorn would have 14d10 HD +42 hp
with +10 to hit and 2d8 +5 hooves (x2) and 1d10 +5 horn.

Eldritch Blast (Radiant with Repelling) is 600' range, but limited to 2d8 damage.

Oh, and the (VgM) Kirin is a CR 12, by the way.
You'll have to look it up in the book to get details.

But, CR aside, this looks like another well designed creature.
Sorry for my lack of useful information.
Thanks!!

Maxidion
2019-08-10, 02:07 PM
Now that I know that you're doing about one reply a week, I'll adjust my expectations.

Opps. I get D&D Monster info from Donjon (https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/monsters/)
It has filters to search by Type (Celestial in this case) Challenge, Environment and Source (Book)
MM = Monster Manual * VgM = Volo's Guide to Monsters * MtF = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Only what is in the SRD (MM, minus some monsters) is listed on the site for pop-up information.

I do know how to find the CR of officially existing creatures, just not how to create new creatures and calculate what their CR would be.

Thanks!!

Glad to be back. Your Welcome.

I really don't like taking Agency away from a Player. Even Dominate usually wears off.

As such, while I like the Intellect Devourer, I don't like it's Ability to instantly eat your brain and steal your memories, and then pretending to be you, rejoining the party to later backstab/betray.

Doppelgangers and other Evil Shapechanging beings, are bad enough.

I can see that.

Now, I like the Devourer's Psychic damage power, so I'm keeping that.

The Reduction of Intelligence, I'm not so sure about: maybe just a Stun lasting 3d6 rounds?
With a save each round to negate?

The real problem I have is: what to replace the Brain Thief Ability with?

Idea: still called Brain Thief:
The Target makes an Intelligence Save.
Upon a failure, the Devourer duplicates an Ability (DM determines) that the Creature has.

A Class or Subclass Ability or a Feat.
A spell and the Slots for that level.

I'm making a Greater Intellect Devourer (CR 10) to have the Classic Brain Thief Abilities.

That could work. I had some other ideas, but upon looking at the creatures stats and thinking about my answers, I realized that my ideas either wouldn't work, or were similar but frankly worse than the ideas you came up with. I feel it needs a little extra to make up for the fact it cant gain better stats by taking over a body. The following ideas aren't the best, but there what I've been able to come up with. You could also possibly allow it to learn memories or the like in addition to the abilities. Maybe it can gain HP or other physical benefits from its brain thief ability (it is feeding and thereby restoring itself or gaining strength.

Great Dragon
2019-08-10, 07:52 PM
Welcome back!

I do know how to find the CR of officially existing creatures, just not how to create new creatures and calculate what their CR would be.
This is indeed my problem.

I can see that.
That could work. I had some other ideas, but upon looking at the creatures stats and thinking about my answers, I realized that my ideas either wouldn't work, or were similar but frankly worse than the ideas you came up with. I feel it needs a little extra to make up for the fact it cant gain better stats by taking over a body. (1) The following ideas aren't the best, but there what I've been able to come up with. You could also possibly allow it to learn memories or the like in addition to the abilities. (2) Maybe it can gain HP or other physical benefits from its brain thief ability (it is feeding and thereby restoring itself or gaining strength. (3)

Go ahead and put those bad ideas in, since the people here (on the Forum) can then think of other ways to improve them, or make better - different ideas, based on these.

(1) Maybe on a failed Int Save, a boost to the Devourer's DC for the Int Save (+5 max) for 1 minute? Hopefully not against the same PC...

(2) If this is ok with the player allowing the creature to steal some memories, and then - if it can escape - go tell it's Illithid Boss...

(3) Sure, maybe it stole/duplicated a Hit Die from that PC, and used it for healing itself.
Or maybe it heals itself with the 3d6 Int instead of draining from target?
Ex: roll the 3d6 and instead of reducing the target's Int, the Devourer heals itself.

Maxidion
2019-08-18, 10:36 AM
Welcome back!

This is indeed my problem.

Go ahead and put those bad ideas in, since the people here (on the Forum) can then think of other ways to improve them, or make better - different ideas, based on these.

Why thank you. What I would do as far as CR goes is compare it to the closest creatures, and also think about what level of a four member party would find this to be a medium/casual challenge. As in, they will probably win with out to much loss or use of resources, but still have to be a little careful or something could go very wrong. Then you have to keep in mind that most players who are really into the game will usually do a lot better and will be able to take on challenges far beyond their level even if with great cost and difficulty. So if your party is into the game, which I think they are, comparing CR to what they can deal with is even more difficult. It is best to compare it to what a group of NPCs of that level could do rather than players. Phew, got that out of the way, no idea where that monologue came from.

(1) Maybe on a failed Int Save, a boost to the Devourer's DC for the Int Save (+5 max) for 1 minute? Hopefully not against the same PC...

(2) If this is ok with the player allowing the creature to steal some memories, and then - if it can escape - go tell it's Illithid Boss...

(3) Sure, maybe it stole/duplicated a Hit Die from that PC, and used it for healing itself.
Or maybe it heals itself with the 3d6 Int instead of draining from target?
Ex: roll the 3d6 and instead of reducing the target's Int, the Devourer heals itself.

By steal memories do you mean they lose the memory that the Devourer get's? If so I would think that to having a similar problem to letting the player get controlled. They now have to pretend they don't know something their character has known all along which could be a problem. I don't mind either temporarily taking control away or doing other similar things that much, but I know my crew doesn't either. Also if they aren't losing the memory the Devourer takes, then you don't even have to tell them that it has taken any. Just something for you to consider.

Also for the healing 3d6 HP maybe you could allow any extra HP healed over their max becomes temporary HP, that they can still heal if hurt, but they can become a little stronger then they previously were. Due to how temporary HP works not too much stronger.

Great Dragon
2019-08-18, 01:06 PM
Maxidion

I can't thank you enough for your willingness to participate here.

Comparing to similar monsters is a possible way to try doing CR.

But, it still has some problems.

One reason why I put the Devourer into this thread was: It doesn't really have much to compare to, especially the unmodified MM version.

Even the CR 7 Mindflayer only does Psychic damage and stuns for one minute.

Brain extraction is as close as Illithids get to Brain Thief; and this kills the person, while only providing nourishment, and does not actually give the Illithid any way to duplicate the memories or Abilities (Class, Feats, etc) of the Individual. (Although 3x D&D had a prestige class where an Illithid could do that)

And the CR 3 Doppelganger only gets Advantage on Insight, Deception, Intimation, and Persuasion checks against the target of its Read Thoughts Ability.

So, the (unmodified) "CR 2" Intellect Devourer is better than both these combined!

Better than Illithid: Psychic damage and if target is reduced to Zero Int they are stunned until the they can regain Int, but doesn't say how that is possible. Short Rest? Long Rest? Must be magically healed?

Better than Doppelgangers: Devourer's Brain Thief actually knows everything the Target knew, and can use their Abilities and Class Features/Powers: Makes infiltration into a group lots easier.

By steal memories do you mean they lose the memory that the Devourer get's? Just something for you to consider.

I left the "steal" option for other DMs to use, if they still wanted to keep the creepy "Devourer" aspect of this Monster, without it needing to actually eat the person's brain.

For myself, I'm going "duplicate", and not taking anything away from the PC's Abilities or powers, but the Party needs to deal with the Devourer using a PC's ability/powers against them.

I'm not sure if that's enough to keep the Devourer at CR 2, especially with Int Drain doing "stunning target" plus "self healing";

But - with low Int Save DCs, it might just fit?

Also for the healing 3d6 HP maybe you could allow any extra HP healed over their max becomes temporary HP, that they can still heal if hurt, but they can become a little stronger then they previously were. Due to how temporary HP works not too much stronger.

I like this idea.

Although, to keep it where the Devourer is still a Low CR monster, might not allow temp HP to be used to heal. The High CR version could totally do this, though.

What do you think?
See you next time.

Maxidion
2019-08-27, 04:11 PM
Maxidion

I can't thank you enough for your willingness to participate here.

Comparing to similar monsters is a possible way to try doing CR.

But, it still has some problems.

One reason why I put the Devourer into this thread was: It doesn't really have much to compare to, especially the unmodified MM version.

Even the CR 7 Mindflayer only does Psychic damage and stuns for one minute.

Brain extraction is as close as Illithids get to Brain Thief; and this kills the person, while only providing nourishment, and does not actually give the Illithid any way to duplicate the memories or Abilities (Class, Feats, etc) of the Individual. (Although 3x D&D had a prestige class where an Illithid could do that)

And the CR 3 Doppelganger only gets Advantage on Insight, Deception, Intimation, and Persuasion checks against the target of its Read Thoughts Ability.

So, the (unmodified) "CR 2" Intellect Devourer is better than both these combined!

Better than Illithid: Psychic damage and if target is reduced to Zero Int they are stunned until the they can regain Int, but doesn't say how that is possible. Short Rest? Long Rest? Must be magically healed?

Better than Doppelgangers: Devourer's Brain Thief actually knows everything the Target knew, and can use their Abilities and Class Features/Powers: Makes infiltration into a group lots easier.

As far as CR goes, I was still in the discussion of CR in general, not the intellect devourer, though it is perfectly relevant here. I personally don't care much about CR, but if your posting the creatures in public (which you are) then I suppose it is necessary to make one. I mostly just look at what can it do, can the party handle it. Often it is specific abilities that will really destroy your specific party, even though it might not be so bad for other parties. Hence why its CR is much lower than the challenge it presents to the opposing party. It is still a helpful guide though.

I left the "steal" option for other DMs to use, if they still wanted to keep the creepy "Devourer" aspect of this Monster, without it needing to actually eat the person's brain.

For myself, I'm going "duplicate", and not taking anything away from the PC's Abilities or powers, but the Party needs to deal with the Devourer using a PC's ability/powers against them.

I'm not sure if that's enough to keep the Devourer at CR 2, especially with Int Drain doing "stunning target" plus "self healing";

But - with low Int Save DCs, it might just fit?

I like this idea.

Although, to keep it where the Devourer is still a Low CR monster, might not allow temp HP to be used to heal. The High CR version could totally do this, though.

What do you think?
See you next time.

As far as duplicate goes, I approve. As far as I know, the intellect devourer's stun is permanent unless cured, which isn't easy for many parties. I'm pretty sure you can't rest while stunned, so that option would be out of the picture. I also think that it takes rather high level abilities to cure (probably lesser restoration wouldn't work). At the same time, I think while this is more or less what is intended, it is purposefully left at the GM's discretion. Replacing this

I at first failed to realize the significance of the +5 DC, so yes that is a big boost. While thinking about it I realize that the Temp HP might be to much (especially with the afore mentioned boost), I feel the heal by itself is to little. I also thought that it should gain some physical boost, not just restoration then it succeeds. If you don't think it should, let me know and I'll stop trying to think of a way for that to come to pass.

Wait a minute! This thing still stuns? In that case it is still pretty powerful. I misunderstood at first and though you were saying it was below 2 CR, now I realize you were saying it is above. Right then, maybe we should just keep it as you have it now then. It can stun while healing, and can duplicate memories and abilities (I think). Is their anything else it can do, my memory is failing me.

I also really like your ?signature?. The thing at the bottom of all your posts.

Great Dragon
2019-08-27, 06:21 PM
As far as CR goes, I was still in the discussion of CR in general

I was thinking this, but my problem is that I don't always agree with the Dev's opinion on CR. Especially for 5e D&D. Which is why I used the Intellect Devourer as an example.

As far as duplicate goes, I approve. As far as I know, the intellect devourer's stun is permanent unless cured, which isn't easy for many parties. I'm pretty sure you can't rest while stunned, so that option would be out of the picture. I also think that it takes rather high level abilities to cure (probably lesser restoration wouldn't work). At the same time, I think while this is more or less what is intended, it is purposefully left at the GM's discretion.

Bolded = I'll look this up when I can.
Edit: the PHB only states that Conditions must be negated. Since the Devourer's Stun effect is only negated with a Restoration Spell, resting does not remove it.
I do like the Duplicate, and can't wait to test that on some willing Players.

See, for the Stun - that's why I used the CR 7 Mindflayer as a comparison. I feel that the Devourer's Stun should only last a minute, at most.

I at first failed to realize the significance of the +5 DC, so yes that is a big boost. While thinking about it I realize that the Temp HP might be to much (especially with the afore mentioned boost), I feel the heal by itself is to little.

I'd keep the Stun, allow a Temp HP boost, and maybe the healing ability.

I also thought that it should gain some physical boost, not just restoration then it succeeds. If you don't think it should, let me know and I'll stop trying to think of a way for that to come to pass.

IDK - do you think that being able to Duplicate Str, Dex or Con Scores for a minute would work? Combine this with Duplicating another PC's Class/Sublcass or Feat ability? (the Devourer should not be able to Duplicate a Stunned PC more than once, or it becomes rather unfair to that Character's Player)

Wait a minute! This thing still stuns? In that case it is still pretty powerful. I misunderstood at first and though you were saying it was below 2 CR, now I realize you were saying it is above. Right then, maybe we should just keep it as you have it now then. It can stun while healing, and can duplicate memories and abilities (I think). Is their anything else it can do, my memory is failing me.

Ok, step by step.
Party encounters Devourer

Devourer attacks and does Psychic Damage to PC #3, who then needs to save for half damage.
If PC #3 fails their DC 10 Int Save - the DM chooses an Ability (Stat, Feat, Class/Subclass feature) that the Devourer duplicates for one minute (concentration?)

Devourer also gets to Roll 3d6 for how many Temp HP it gets that round, and if PC #3 has their Int reduced to Zero, they are stunned (might allow Lesser Restoration to cure) for a minute(?)

The next round, the Devourer can either Attack another PC with duplicated abilities, or use it's psychic power on them (now a DC 15 Int Save), or convert tHP to healing.

I believe that's all.
How does this sound?

Great Dragon
2019-09-12, 01:45 AM
Still hoping for input on both Healing Undead and Animate Dead making smart Skeletons and Zombies.

Rant
Ok. I suppose that I'm a little biased about Dragons.

White Dragons really got the very short end of the stick, here.

Starting at Int 5 at Wyrmling, Int 6 at Young, Int 8 at Adult and a whopping Int 10 for Ancient !!
White Dragon Wyrmling Wis 10, Young Wis 11, Adult Wis 12, and Ancient Wis 13.

Now, I tend to believe that Sentient Apex Predators simply cannot be stupid.

This is especially true for (let me be honest here, Chromatic) Dragons that are supposed to inspire terror in the hearts of people.

Even a Wyrmling Dragon running amok in your average Village (or small town) is both Terrifying and Deadly.
And there is a reason that Waterdeep has Magical Protections against all (especially Older) Dragon's !!

As such I've changed Whites to:
Wyrmling Int 8 Young Int 10, Adult Int 14, and Ancient Int 16.
No need to change Wisdom.

I believe: This still puts White Dragons as being "dumber" than the other Chromatics of each Stage, but still able to believably know about tactics. Even Wyrmling Whites should be almost as smart as the Average Person.

Black
Wyrmling Int 10 Wis 11 Young Int 12 Wis 11 Adult Int 14 Wis 13 and Ancient Int 16 Wis 15

Blue
Wyrmling Int 12 Wis 11 Young Int 14 Wis 13 Adult Int 16 Wis 15 and Ancient Int 18 Wis 17

Green
Wyrmling Int 14 Wis 11 Young Int 16 Wis 13 Adult Int 18 Wis 15 and Ancient Int 20 Wis 17

Red
Wyrmling Int 12 Wis 11 Young Int 14 Wis 11 Adult Int 16 Wis 13 and Ancient Int 18 Wis 15

As far as I can tell with 5e, altering the Abilities of a creature doesn't change their CR.

Great Dragon
2019-09-21, 02:42 AM
Technically not a monster, but I didn't think the following needed it's own Thread.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, I don't like Monks being the "Shadowdancer", but then I played mostly Rogues when it was still a Prestige Class. As such, I moved SD to being a variant A.T. Rogue, with a strong focus on being hidden in darkness.
(I'm still hoping to get someone to Playtest this)

Anyway, I'm at a loss as to how to change this, since I want it to be different from SD, but still very much about being the Ninja "hiding in plain sight" Subclass grants proficiency in the Deception skill and with the Disguise Kit tool.
I got some players willing to playtest both these Ideas!!

Shadow Arts
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without Trace, or Silence, without providing material components. Additionally, you gain the Minor Illusion cantrip if you don't already know it.

Shadow Step
At 6th level, you gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

Cloak of Shadows
By 11th level, you have learned to become one with the shadows. When you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you can use your action to become invisible. You remain invisible until you make an attack, cast a spell, or are in an area of bright light.

Opportunist
At 17th level, you can exploit a creature's momentary distraction when it is hit by an attack. Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you is hit by an attack made by a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against that creature.

Way of the Unseen Form
The first thing I did was trade Darkness for Invisibility at the same Ki cost.
Maybe Non-detection for an extra 2 Ki to block See Invisibility ?

The second thing I did was: Character gains darkvision. If already having darkvision, add 30 feet.
For 3 Ki the Monk can see normally in any darkness for one minute.

Now - about Shadow Teleportation - I'd keep that on the "Ninja" Monk, and simply give the Shadowdancer Rogue silent Misty Step and Dimension Door as spell options.

At 6th level you gain the ability to Shadow Step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

At 11th level Greater Invisibility for one minute is gained when using 5 Ki.
(Imaging getting Kung fu-ed four times a round by an unseen foe !!)

And 17th level: 10 Ki grants the same effect as Supreme Invisibility for one minute.
"Unseen, Unheard, and Scentless."
This would replace Opportunist, which goes to the Shadowdancer Rogue.

Shadowdancer Rogue

Third: Gains the ability to learn and cast Pass Without Trace as a 1st level spell.
Can cast a spell without needing to move or make a sound a number of times a day equal to Charisma modifier.

Ninth: One with Shadow: you have Advantage to stealth when in shadow or darkness.
Able to use stealth at full movement with no penalty.

Thirteenth: Can use the Hide action to vanish from sight if within 10 feet of any shadow other than your own.

Seventeenth: Opportunist: you can exploit a creature's momentary distraction when it is hit by an attack. Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you is hit by an attack made by a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against that creature.

I'm still working on these ideas.

Great Dragon
2019-09-27, 03:01 AM
Giants are up next.

These "people" are supposed to be on par with the Dragons.

Storm * Challenge 13
STR 29 (+9) DEX 14 (+2) CON 20 (+5) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 18 (+4)

Cloud * Challenge 9
STR 27 (+8) DEX 10 (+0) CON 22 (+6) INT 12 (+1) WIS 16 CHA 16

Fire * Challenge 9
STR 25 (+7) DEX 9 (- 1) CON 23 (+6) INT 10 (+0) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 13 (+1)

Frost * Challenge 8
STR 23 (+6) DEX 9 (- 1) CON 21 (+5) INT 9 (- 1) WIS 10 (0) CHA 12 (+1)

Stone * Challenge 7
STR 23 (+6) DEX 15 (+2) CON 20 (+5) INT 10 (+0) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 9 (-1)

Hill * Challenge 5
STR 21 (+5) DEX 8 (- 1) CON 19 (+4) INT 5 WIS 9 CHA 6

Ok, only Frost and Hill really get low-balled here.
While a 9 Int isn't the end of the world, if the DM is running that Illusions are based on an Intelligence Save (which I do) means that Frost tend to get tricked a little too often.
Clever plans and action should be spur-of-the-moment, and rewarded, despite how "Smart" the BBEG is.

Hill Giants (and unmodified White Dragon wyrmlings) aren't even Sentient by my standards.

"Titan"
Ettin
Formorian
Verbeeg
Firbolg
Golliath
Sand

Troll
Ogre

-more?

Great Dragon
2019-10-06, 12:36 PM
Kobolds vs Goblins

(This post is mostly about Kobolds. I'll need to do more Research and Pondering on Goblinoids.)

Straight to the point:

I don't like Grovel/Plea/Beg for Kobolds. Either for Crunch or Fluff.

With Pack Tactics, Kobolds do not need to sacrifice any Actions to give other Kobolds within 10' advantage to hit. Kobolds still receive advantage from non-Kobold allies.

If Kobolds need a Mechanical means to give non-Kobold allies advantage without needing to use the Help Action, I'm calling it Underestimate. Kobolds receive Deception as a Racial Proficiency.
Once per encounter, as a Bonus Action use Deception vs Insight.
If successful, grants advantage to all allies within 30 feet for that round. (But, must have an ally within five feet of the enemy to receive advantage, themselves.)
If unsuccessful, the target gets Advantage on their next attack against that Kobold.

# Feedback welcomed.

But, I prefer Grovel on Goblins.
This makes sense from a Historical view, as well as giving the Goblins as close to what the Kobolds get with Pact Tactics, by making themselves a distraction for the rest of the pack to attack better.

I'll be honest, here.
Even from the time Kobolds were first introduced, I liked Kobolds more than Goblins.

Sure, Mechanically, Kobolds were supposed to be both Smaller and Weaker than Goblins, but to me Kobolds were smarter.

Sure, both Races attacked in Groups, but Kobolds (and Hobgoblins = Hobs getting extra damage instead of hitting more often, is perfectly fine with me) used team tactics where Goblins (and Orcs, and almost every "Chaotic" Race) were just large unorganized mobs.

The good news for Goblins/Orcs (etc) is that those playing the game learned to both use and work around the Alignment Chart, and now we can have people from "Chaotic Races" that aren't uncontrolled, unintelligent, and suicidal !

More comments:

Now, the 3e changing of Kobolds from "Goblinoids" to "Draconic" Races thrilled me to no end.

As is no secret, I've always been a huge fan of Dragons, years before I started playing D&D. And yes, it was "Dragons" that sucked me in.

Now, I have never liked how D&D tended to just lock all the Not-Human (and Accepted Allies) into being "Always Evil" - sure, Gygax and company needed easily usable Bad Guys for Players to fight, but IMO could just as easily used smart non-Humanoid monsters and Fiends (all three types) for that purpose.
(Dragons being their own thing)

Where 'mortals' were either tainted by their Evil Deeds - or possessed by a Fiend.

Now, when I became a DM, Kobolds were the first "Monstrous Humanoids" that I broke away from the "Always Evil" mold.

Now, while I can accept (and even use as an "we are Evil" excuse) Kartulmak as the Prime Deity for Kobolds, I make him in my Games the Unforgiving Taskmaster, where Elitist attitudes and perfection in everything is expected, and any failure punished.

As such, not every Tribe followed Kartulmak, and their respect for Dragons meant that some Tribes dedicated themselves to a (mortal) Dragon if not a Draconic Deity.

Of all the Races, Kobolds understand the nature of the War between Bahamut and Tiamat and quite a few will Champion a side; but Kobolds also respect the other Draconic Deities, as well.

Urds and Dragonwrought

To the outsider, there might not be much difference between these two, but while an Urd may have wings from distant Draconic lineage, Dragonwrought have a direct link to that lineage.

I like what is written in Volo's for Kobolds, and intend to fully use that in my games.

While other Races may view the cautious behavior of Kobolds as cowardly, in fact they aren't, and Kobolds are willing to fight to the Death defending what they love and believe in.

Great Dragon
2019-10-10, 04:23 AM
Goblinoids
While I like the Classic Monstrous Humanoids, I tend to count all the Goblinoids as one Race.
As such, I need to see if I can find some more to replace the two I "lost".
"Goblins, Kobolds, Orcs".....

Goblins

To me Khurgorbaeyag The Overseer (VgM pg 40) still reigns over the Goblins.

As per my normal “Rule of Balance”, there is a Good Deity for Goblins: Kikanuti.
Goblinoid Deities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_goblinoid_deities#Bar grivyek)
Although she isn't limited to just one Desert on one World, and is the only Light Deity for the Goblinoids.

Volo’s gives some good Ideas to use for Goblins Tribes.
Lashers, Hunters, Gatherers, and Pariahs

Booyahos: (Item) Wielder, Caster (Wizard), Whip (Cleric), Booyahg x3 (Wild Sorcerer), and Slave (Warlock).
Note: While the Warlock is called a Slave, they still have better status than actual Slaves.

Bugbears
Hruggek and Grankhul plus Skiggaret.
The brothers are a nice Yin/Yang thing, and the last is the Boogeyman even to Bugbears.
While Maglublyet rules, he rarely receives homage.

Thugs, Bulwarks and Murderers.
For a Chaotic and Lazy Race, these three types actually work very well together.

Hobgoblins
This is where Maglublyet really shines. But, Nomog-Geaya and Bargrivyek still hold sway.

Not a lot for me to change for my games, really.
Iron Shadows are an interesting new addition. But, not really a surprise.
And I like the Academy of Devastation: Mostly Evokers and War Mages;
But I also give them Necromancers, since to them even the Dead are tools.

Now, comes the introduction of Goblinoid PCs.

Bugbear PCs are very rare in my game. Very little motivates an individual to do more than what everyone else is doing. But exceptions do exist, with these PCs usually being Conquest Paladins, Hunter Rangers and Assassin Rogues.

Goblin PCs are usually from the Parah Class - or are treated as such for some reason.
Also, Booyahos that are seeking to increase their power.
This motivates them to leave the Tribe and make their way in the World.

Hobgoblin PCs are usually merchants and discover more benefit from traveling and “peaceful” trading with other Races, but are still very quick to take offense and defend their Honor.

Great Dragon
2019-10-19, 06:56 AM
Orcs! The Eternal Foes.

The biggest difference with my Orcs is that first, I switch the attitude of Orcs against Elves and Dwarves. While I like the LotR reference, in the Gaming World, Orcs have become more than just mindless Minions. And the Orcs aggressive ways and dwelling in the depths of the earth have always caused them to be in conflict with Dwarves: not just for resources but also philosophical and societal reasons.

Goblins avoid Orcs for a lot of the same reasons they avoid Bugbears. Hobgoblins hate Orcs because of their lack of military use, seeing nothing more than just brutes in huge groups that have no cohesion. Hobgoblins view Bugbears in better light, because they can at least be put to a purpose. Bugbears view Orcs as actually being worthy of attention, but individual Orcs are not considered much of a challenge. Kobolds love Orcs, because they are so easy to lure into Traps and Ambushes.

The fact that Orcs will not kill most others (excepting dangerous or hostile individuals) and will leave them for future attacks and plundering is more of what makes them unpopular with the other Races.

Next: no one knows which happened first:
The Creation of the Orcs - or The Creation of their Deities.
For the most part the Orcish Deities still fill the same Role as what is discussed in Volo’s.

Gruumsh wants to conquer the Universe and weeds the week out of the Orc Race. Nishrek is now a Demi-Plane of - my TN Plane of Concordant Opposition: Called such because of the constant Conflicts between Forces both Divine and Primal.

ilneval backs Gruumsh, in that he doesn’t tolerate true stupidity;
Bahgtru encourages savage strength;
Luthic is actually the main reasons why Orcs are able to be in large groups.
Shargass binds even the Outcasts into a force to be feared.
Yurtrus makes sure that not only is nothing wasted, even the diseased Orcs still have the ability to bring the foe down.

Orogs are still the balance that keeps the Orc Tribe together.

Tanarukks: While Baphamut is the prime source for these, any of the Demon Lords can create them.
Orcs faithful to their gods view Tanarukks as horrid blasphemies that must be attacked and destroyed on sight.
There are Orcs that will accept a Tanarukk as leader.

Great Dragon
2019-11-19, 08:12 AM
Limbo
I don't really need an All Chaos Dimension: where it's basically the Ethereal Plane with more stuff floating around in it.

Slaad
Now as mentioned, I didn't like these.
For (semi-Evil) "embodiment of destruction" I already have (fully Evil) Demons.

So, I was thinking of basing the Fomar Faeries on them, instead. They can still be called Slaad.
Maybe in the Mostly Aquatic part of the Feywild (giving Fomar the Amphibious quality)
with strong links to both the Plane of Elemental Water and The Beastlands.

But, I'm a little stuck on what, exactly, to change to reflect this.

Resistance to non-magical weapons not made of Cold Iron? Ok.... maybe.
But then I need to decide if there is a difference between Cold Iron, Iron, and Steel.
And what, exactly, makes Cold Iron different enough that the other two aren't effective?

I'll do some more research and see if I can break it down by Color as well.

Ok I want to change the way some of these are created.
First - get rid of the Spawning Stone since as Faeries, they don't need that.

I got rid of Slaad Tadpoles. Not only were they pathetic, this is more an Illithid thing
- and one Race doing that is quite enough, thank you!

Red and Blue now infect the host with a lycanthropy-like disease called chaos phage that slowly transformed them into a member of the opposite type. Other Slaad can still infect a host, but only base types are produced - with the type determined at random. (except Green)
(DMs can have it where Red are based on High Dex and Blue on High Str)

Green are still created when any Arcane Spellcaster is infected and transformed.
Innate Spellcasting. The slaad's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 12). The slaad can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic, detect thoughts, mage hand

2/day each: fear, invisibility (self only)

1/day: fireball

Magic Resistance. The slaad has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects

Regeneration. The slaad regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point.
-----
Yellow are created when any Divine Spellcaster is infected and transformed.
Innate Spellcasting. The slaad's innate spellcasting ability is Wisom (spell save DC 12).
These slaad can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: Inflict Wounds, Absorb Elements, Chill Touch

2/day each: Hold Person, Silence

1/day: Spirit Guardians

Magic Resistance. The slaad has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects

Regeneration. The slaad regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point.
-----
Grey: A green slaad, upon reaching its hundredth year of life, would retreat into isolation for the duration of about a year. Upon its return, it would have transformed into a smaller, but more powerful grey slaad.
Shapechanger. The slaad can use its action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Innate Spellcasting. The slaad's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14). The slaad can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic, detect thoughts, invisibility (self only), mage hand, major image

2/day each: fear, fly, fireball, tongues

1/day: plane shift (self only)

Magic Weapons. The slaad's weapon attacks are magical.

Death Some grey slaadi upon reaching its hundredth year of life, might undergo an unnamed, mysterious ritual, which transformed them into death slaadi.
Shapechanger. The slaad can use its action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.

Innate Spellcasting. The slaad's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). The slaad can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: detect magic, detect thoughts, invisibility (self only), mage hand, major image

2/day each: fear, fireball, fly, tongues

1/day each: cloudkill, plane shift

Magic Weapons. The slaad's weapon attacks are magical.

White If the death slaad survived a century, it can be turned into the white slaad
15 CR * 18d10 * Saves: Con and Wis *
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15th, Advantage on concentration):
At will - Chaos hammer, deeper darkness, fear, fly, teleport (self plus 50 lb. of objects only), Greater invisibility, see invisibility, shatter.
3/day - Cloak of chaos, word of chaos
1/day - Summon (1 gray slaad 35% or 1d3 blue slaadi 60%)

Advantage of Time: Advantage on all attacks.
Part the Veil: All attacks against it are at Disadvantage.

Temporal Split: Three times per day as a bonus action, a white slaad can pull replicas of itself from the past and future. The white slaad splinters into six temporal replicas, each appearing in an unoccupied space within 30 feet of the white slaad’s previous space. The white slaad disappears, and it cannot attack or be attacked until it reappears. The temporal replicas thereafter act on the white slaad’s turn at the same initiative count. The temporal replicas have the same stats as the white slaad, except as follows: they cannot use any spells or spell-like abilities, they deal only 1d6 additional damage on a sneak attack, they cannot infest their opponents with chaos phage, and they are instantly destroyed whenever they take any damage. When the last temporal replica has been destroyed, the white slaad reappears within 30 feet of the space occupied by that replica on its next initiative count and can act normally (see Advantage of Time above).

Black if the white slaad survived a century, it turned into a black slaad in the manner of its preceding transformations. The black slaad was the most powerful slaad, excluding the slaad lords themselves.
CR 20 * 26d8 *
Abilities: Str 42, Dex 22, Con 38, Int 29, Wis 30, Cha 31
Special Qualities: Fast healing 30.
Stun (Ex): A black slaad can make attack as if it had the Stunning Fist feat eleven times per day. The Fortitude save DC is 34. The black slaad can stun with its tongues as well as its claws.

Chaos Touch (Ex): On a successful tongue melee attack, the slaad deals 10d4 points of chaotic damage. Unless the chaos infecting the wound is somehow neutralized, it deals another 5d4 points of chaotic mage every subsequent round for 11 rounds.

Chaos Spittle (Ex): A black ad can spit a glob of chaos at any target it can see within 120 feet as a ranged touch attack.
The chaos deals 20d4 points of chaos damage (no splash damage). Unless the chaos is somehow neutralized, the glob deals another 10d4 points of damage every subsequent round for 11 rounds.

Weaponbreaker (Ex): When a black slaad uses its Sunder feat, it rolls damage twice and takes the higher of the two rolls as the roll to break the weapon.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - animate objects, circle of death, chaos hammer, cloak of chaos, death knell, deeper darkness, dispel law, fear, finger of death, fireball, fly, greater dispelling, identify, improved invisibility, lightning bolt, magic circle against law, plane shift, power word blind, power word kill, protection from law, see invisibility, shatter, teleport without error, word of chaos; 1/day - implosion, peripety, ruin, spell worm. Caster level 25th; save DC 20 + spell level.

Alternate Form (Su): A black slaad can shift between its natural and any humanoid form at will as a standard action.

A black slaad can remain in humanoid form indefinitely. The ability is otherwise similar to alter self cast by a 21st-level caster.

Summon Slaad (Sp): Three times per day a black slaad can attempt to summon 2-4 death slaadi (01-20 fails, 21-100 succeeds), or 1-2 white slaadi (01-60 fails, 61-100 succeeds).

Telepathy (Su): Black slaadi can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Gormeel: These Lawful Slaad might need to be changed to being The Enforcers: They are as powerful as Black Slaad.
WIP

Transforming Rituals: This is a time consuming thing and it requires the involvement of mortals.
I have a few ideas, but I'm leaving this open to the DM.

Slaad Lords
Bazim-Gorag, The Firebringer
Chourst, Lord of Randomness
Rennbuu, Lord of Colors
Ssendam, Lord of Madness
Wartle (?)
Ygorl, Lord of Entropy

Like all faeries, Fomar gain power by making Deals with Mortals.
(Red and Blue tend to be more the "pay me to not turn you into one of us!!" types)

But, most of the time, these Deals don't enslave the Mortals.
Instead, these Deals warp the mortals, causing insanity/madness and violent behavior. Shifting the mortal's Alignment towards Chaotic Neutral (Wisdom Save DC 14 each month to resist.)

Unlike the other Fairies, the Fomar are the embodiment of Destructive Violence. As such, they tend to behave a lot like Demons, in that only greater power and the threat of destruction can convince a Fomar to behave.

Now - The Fomar are at War with all the Other Faeries and are hated by them. To the point where members of both Summer and Winter will stop fighting each other and attack the Fomar on sight!!

As noted: The Githzari living in the same Plane and Kicking Slaadi butt - is awesome !!

Nielspeterdejon
2019-11-22, 10:04 AM
Well a lair could work, but be sure not to make *too* powerful traps, but good enough that when a rogue disarms them that it feels rewarding :)

Great Dragon
2019-11-23, 06:07 AM
@Nielspeterdejon - Thanks for posting!!

Traps are a bit of a pain in 5e.
Bounded Accuracy is supposed to put a cap on all DC at 20.

But, this really doesn't work.

Part A
In a really old thread I complained about how anyone with the correct Background (Criminal or Urchin) and the same Dexterity could do just as good as the Rogue with Thieves Tools.

Now, this is a double edged sword:
(1) Pro = It means that if no one at the table played a Rogue, having the correct Background meant that the Party wasn't completely screwed.

(2) Con = It means that when there is a Rogue in the party, they tend to not really be impressive outside of DPS with Sneak Attack and a few Subclass features.

Part B
Expertise with Thieves Tools is the only thing that stands out for the Rogue;
but if the DM sticks to Bounded Accuracy, doing this is pointless - especially after 17th level.
Here's why: +6 Proficiency + 6 Expertise + 5 Dex = 17
Now, most people think "Not a big deal", but you also need to remember Flawless Talent, which means that the Rogue never rolls less than a 10 on 1d20. For an automatic minimum of 27!!

Now, drop it down to 11th level: +4 Proficiency + 5 Dex = 9 + 10 = 19 minimum.
Which means that Expertise is best put elsewhere.

Remembering that actual DC 20 is supposed to Super Rare in Bounded Accuracy, means that challenging anyone with Thieves Tool Proficiency + 5 Dex is difficult, because they only need to roll a 10 to match the DC 19, with the Rogue only needing to roll to get the DC 20 (and I find it pointless to make someone roll just to get a +1) with Locks and Traps.

Now, I do have a few solutions:
Yes, I do make Locks and Traps with DCs over 20.
(Figuring out how to describe how these are different from the other Hard versions of themselves is challenging.)

But, honestly this isn't very rewarding to the Rogue's Player (other then the fact that they got to actually Roll Dice and use a skill to full effect) and usually leaves the other Players at the table waiting for the Rogue to get done doing a Solo mini-game, and get back into the action.

As such, I'll throw in things like -
The Rogue needs to deal with the Trap while avoiding being attacked!
(Can involve other Party members)

Also - I use some of the Ideas from Grimtooth's Traps (https://geekandsundry.com/grimtooths-traps-are-an-old-school-way-to-cause-dd-chaos/).
Especially Room and Complex traps, and break down each of the elements of the trap into something that one of the PCs in the group to engage with - each one with a DC set to challenge the Party as a whole. (mostly based on Level)
Adding magic elements to the trap if there is at least one Arcane Caster in the party.

No offense to Cleric players, but unless they use the Find Traps spell, there aren't a lot of spells that can directly aid in dealing with the trap - but having a Cleric at the ready for when the trap is triggered is a good idea.

Now, this is a little more work on the part of the DM, but it can pay off big.

The real challenge for the DM here, is remembering to have more then one way to solve the problem. Think of as many ways to defeat the Trap as possible, then leave extra room for the Players to come up with things that you didn't think of! (No one can think of everything, especially when there are so many different Rule Exceptions out there!!)

Well a lair could work, but be sure not to make *too* powerful traps, but good enough that when a rogue disarms them that it feels rewarding
For me - I keep in mind the average HD of the party, and scale the damage of traps based on this.
Like on Tier One - damages are usually 1d8 (easy) 1d10 (medium) and 2d6 (hard) - no Deadly.
Tier Two - damages are usually 1d10 (easy) 2d6 (medium) 2d8 (hard) and 3d10 (deadly)
Tier Three - damages are usually 6d4 (easy) 6d6 (medium) 6d8 (hard) and 6d10 (deadly)
Tier Four tend to look like the damage output of higher level spells.

Great Dragon
2019-11-28, 09:14 AM
With the Goblinoids all one "Race"
A Possible Replacement might be
Xvart

I'm going with the Xvat being corrupted Gnomes, along with Spriggan.
I might toss in the Demon Raxivort using them to hide his whereabouts, but I'm not sure about what else Raxivort does with the Infinity Spindle.

Derro - not so much. Duergar are (bad) enough for an un-nice Dwarven Race, and I really don't need an Insane Race of any kind as a potential PC.

Gnolls - are in the same boat - their innate endless hunger and desire to serve their master, just excludes them from PC status.

Quaggoth - I'd have to actually increase their Int and their society in order to qualify as PCs.

xxxXxxx
So, one potential replacement Race.
I really don't see anything else on the 5e monster list below a CR 5 that qualifies.
So, I'll start looking through the other D&D Editions and see what I can find.

Great Dragon
2019-12-26, 08:57 AM
I return. Hope everyone had a great Xmass!!

ok. Back to a Monster.

Aboleths
I'm going to be looking up and reading on these. (Expect edits)

While I like some of the monsters by Lovecraft, I'm not a huge fan.
To me Insanity is supposed to be something the PCs are trying to avoid - while dealing with those unfortunates that are already afflicted. But, permanent Insanity in D&D really should be nearly impossible. Especially with both Remove Curse and Greater Restoration/Heal being a thing.

Now, the first thing that seems to be a problem to me is - that the Aboleth seems very limited. Like they can't go more than a few miles at a time from some source of water.

Examples are actually in Waterdeep:
Dragon Heist, which is intended to be a 1-5th level game. there's an Aboleth in the sewers that is dominating the NPC who's job it is to patrol said sewers and rid it of monsters, by reporting about them and getting Adventurers/Heroes to come deal with them. Ok. Sure. Waterdeep is a coastal city, so the Aboleth is easily able to get to the sewers.

BUT, there's another Aboleth in Undermountain (Dungeon of the Mad Mage), wandering around the Sargoth River. Several levels below the surface. The odds of that Aboleth coming by the river itself are rather low. it's mostly a contained river inside the dungeon, there's one entrance and one exit. I'm not saying that there's no way an Aboleth can't gt there by the River, just that it's more likely that it had to come there by crossing over Land.

While a fully aquatic, super weird, and creepy Race of Uber Smart, tentacled fish is ok, It's stuck being limited to an "all Water Campaign". As such, I'm making Aboleths more amphibious and able to survive even without any water. They just don't like it.

Next are Minions: sure there are those that are kept nearby as personal servants and bodyguards, and most of these are unable to survive outside the water, or be away from the Aboleth for any real length of time.

But, I'm going more the Heist route above: Secretly Dominated people in key positions to cause as much strife in the area.

While more limited than the Mindflayers on how many creatures one Aboleth can control, that control has no range limits. The good news is that Aboleths are not very inclined to work together. Even two tend to not be able to be together for more than reproduction needs. Finding a cooperative pair isn't impossible - just very, very rare.

Aboleth society was utterly alien in many ways to that of more familiar races, in part due to the racial memory all aboleths exhibited as well as their generally bizarre psyches. Some aboleths formed clusters known as "broods", ruled over by powerful "overseers." These broods were often accompanied by aboleth servitors or other minions, such as the kuo-toa who were known to sometimes serve the race.

Now, again - there is just too many similarities between Aboleth and Mindflayers.
I like contrast. Illithids were Lawful and Aboleths were Chaotic.

I'm keeping the Broods, which are usually related Aboleth.
Aboleth Society, such as it is, tends to be more like a Grand Meeting, where maybe 1,000 Aboleth gather together to share knowledge, as well as choosing (new) Partners for avoiding too much inbreeding.
While I don't allow anything to know everything - I do allow each Aboleth to attempt a History check after a failed Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, or Religion) check,to see if they "remember" something about what is currently being encountered.

Great Dragon
2020-01-13, 01:40 AM
Here is an Idea for a Skull Lord variant.
Please P.E.A.C.H.

Skull Master (Medium Undead) Neutral Evil.
AC 20 (plate and shield) (AC 28 with full magical gear.)
Hit Points 150 (15d8+ 75)
Speed 30.
Str 20 Dex 10 Con 20 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 16
Skills Athletics +10, Perception +17, Intimidate +13, Insight +12

Damage Resistance Cold, Necrotic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks

Damage Immunities Poison

Condition Immunities Blinded, Charmed, Deafened, Exhaustion, Frightened, Poisoned, Stunned, Unconscious.

Darkvision 60 feet
Languages: all those it knew in life.

Challenge 15 (13,000 XP) [Magical Gear = CR 18. 20,000 XP]

Adamantine Plate - is not affected by critical hits.

Regeneration: The Skull Master gains 20 hit points at the start it's turn each round.
A Critical Hit or Radiant Damage prevents this for the next round.

Master of a Legion: The Skull Master can command twice it’s HD in Undead.
The Skull Master and all followers are Resistant to Turning, and save with advantage.

Maneuvers
Superiority Dice. You have four superiority dice (1d10), The Skull Master regains all expended superiority dice when it finishes a short or long rest.

Disarming Attack When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and the target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it drops the object you choose. The object lands at its feet.

Distracting Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Evasive Footwork
When you move, you can expend one superiority die, rolling the die and adding the number rolled to your AC until you stop moving.

Lunging Attack
When you make a melee weapon attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die to increase your reach for that attack by 5 feet. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

Maneuvering Attack
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to maneuver one of your comrades into a more advantageous position. You add the superiority die to the attack’s damage roll, and you choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can use its reaction to move up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the target of your attack.

Parry
When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Dexterity modifier.

Spell Resistance: Advantage to Saves
Magic Resistance: Half damage from all spells and magical effects.

Multiattack. The skull lord makes three weapon attacks.
Action Surge twice per short rest.

Bastard Sword +13 to hit 1d10+8 slashing damage.

Reactions:
Hit one target trying to depart from melee, even if disengages.

Reflect Magic (four times per long rest) if the Skull Master succeeds on a Save, or if the caster failed to hit by 5 or more points, the Skull Master can cause the spell to return to the caster, using the Skull Lord’s Charisma for the attack. Saves are at the original caster’s DC.

Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the Skull Master fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Legendary Actions
Melee Weapon attack (costs one action)
Ranged Weapon Attack (costs two actions)
Move up to its speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
Advance (costs three actions) cause all undead minions or allies to move and attack.

Unlike the Skull Lord, which is three rival Warlords forced to share the same body, the Skull Master is a Warlord that pleased the Evil Powers, and was rewarded with immortality. Sorta.
Strangely, even in undeath, the Skull Master still feels the pain from all damage.

Great Dragon
2020-01-18, 01:09 AM
Here's what i came up with for an Encounter for a new DM on Discord
They had a Storm Giant in a Floating Prison.

for 5 PCs of 8th level.
The "Reckless Heir" - basically a Fire Giant with Storm Giant abilities.
This is a young Storm Giant that hasn't learned to control their emotions (and therefore their powers), and has been placed here to try and "help" them calm down.

It was the Creator's idea to use Aarokocra as "guards".
Treasure/rewards: Potion of Fire Giant strength, with me suggesting Potions of Resistance to both Lightning and Thunder. 1d4 of each potion per Guard.

Storm Crow
Medium Monstrosity. CR 6

Str 3 Dex 18 Con 16 Int 6 Wis 12 Cha 14

HP 64 HD 8d8+24
AC 16 (natural)

Able to cast the following spells (DC 14)

Thunderwave Recharging on a 5-6

Lightning Bolt 8d6 damage. 3 times per long rest.

Multiattack: 2 beak attacks

Beak +7 to hit 1d6+4 +2d6 Lightning

Bonus Action: Gust. 15 foot cone, Str Save or all in area have disadvantage to attacks until the start of the Storm Crow's next turn.

Attacking while flying does provoke attacks of opportunity.

For up to six 10th level PCs
The Old Monarch - Storm Giant Add the Lair Actions (only) of the Quintessence.

Tempest Raven
Large Monstrosity CR 10

Str 4 Dex 20 Con 18 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 14

HP 126 HD 14d8+56
AC 20 (natural)

Able to cast the following spells (DC 17)

Thunderstep as a Bonus Action (Recharging on a 5-6)

Lightning Burst 20 foot diameter. 14d6 damage. 3 times per short rest.

Multiattack 2 beak attacks
Beak +10 to hit * 1d8+5 +3d6 Lightning + 3d6 thunder.

Legendary/Bonus Action: Flash. 30 foot radius. All creatures in the area must make a Con Save or be blinded until the start of the Tempest Raven's next turn.

Attacking while flying does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Great Dragon
2020-03-01, 01:40 AM
I just got done running a Reduced Threat Wyvern (Dead In Thay).
To me there wasn't enough of a Difference between this CR 4 and the regular CR 6 Wyvern.

Fewer HD and a two point drop on attacks = fine.

But the Stinger's Poison damage was unchanged.
7d6 damage is a lot for a Level 3-4 party!!
IMO - this should have been lowered to 4d6 poison damage and the DC unchanged.