PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for an interesting ranged build

FrozenGnomes
2019-06-01, 11:33 PM
As title says, I'm looking for a ranged build whose premise is a little more exciting than shoot a guy with a bunch of stuff.

My race has been chosen for me, a down-scaled version of Fey'ri (+2 dex, 2 int, -2 con and elf stuff)

Can pull from most official sources except for Dragon Magazine.

RNightstalker
2019-06-01, 11:46 PM
I helped a buddy with a ranged sneak-attack build, he was doing 15D6+47 at 20th, and we could probably get another 2-3 D6 with minor tweaks.

If you want a different flavor, maybe Master Thrower with Gloves of Endless Javelins? I think there's one for daggers too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-06-02, 10:45 AM
What do you want the character to do, other than making ranged attacks?
What level are you starting out at?

If starting at 6th+ level you could go Sworsage 1/ Soulknife 2/ Swordsage 2/ Soulbow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2). Take TWF and wear Gloves of the Balanced Hand, max out Wis and get Zen Archery if Wis is higher than Dex. Grab more Swordsage levels later on when you'll have a high enough initiator level to get choice maneuvers like the Mongoose boosts. You'll have tons of skills and plenty of utility maneuvers on top of spamming mind bullets.

Maybe go Cloistered Cleric 1/ Warlock 1/ Cloistered Cleric 3/ Eldritch Disciple, trade your free knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion. This would be more of a support character who can also spam ranged attacks, though you won't be dealing a lot of damage with this.

Maybe go something like Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 1/ Sorcerer 4/ Unseen Seer 2/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Arcane Trickster 8. Psychic Rogue gives you access to use dorjes (psionic wands) of any power on their class list, it can be replaced with Rogue or Spellthief if you prefer. Per the Rules Compendium, any ability that makes multiple attack rolls can only add precision damage such as sneak attack on each of those attacks if that ability takes a full-round action to activate. So a Scorching Ray with a metamagic feat like Invisible Spell or Split Ray takes a full-round action if cast by a spontaneous spellcaster, and gets sneak attack on every attack. Use the Acidic Splatter reserve feat to have an at-will ranged touch attack for when it's not worth spending spell slots.

Zaq
2019-06-02, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a control-focused warlock might be a fun choice.

jdizzlean
2019-06-02, 01:04 PM
I copied this from another thread quite awhile ago, and have not yet had a chance to play around w/ the mechanix, but you could use this as an option as well. although this is based off a strongheart halfling, i'm not sure how much that matters, as I said I haven't gotten to mess with it yet :p

Strongheart Halfling (FRCS 18)
1 extra feat at 1st
don’t get +1 on saving throws
Languages: Halfling, Common, Bonus: Dwarven, Gnoll, Goblin, Halruaan, Shaaran

(PHB) +2 DEX -2 STR
Small +1 AC +1 attack, +4 hide Speed 20
+2 climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently
+2 saves vs fear
+1 on attacks w/ slings/thrown weapons

D6x8+d8x7+d10x5

1. Rogue1 0 0,2,0 8+INT skills, 2 Feats, SA 1d6, trapfinding
2. Swash1 1 2,2,0 4+INT, Weapon Finesse (B)
3. Rogue2 2 2,3,0 8+INT 1 Feat, Evasion
4. Rogue3 3 3,3,1 8+INT +1d6 SA, Trap Sense +1
5. Swash2 4 4,3,1 4+INT Grace +1
6. SSage1 4 4,5,3 6+INT 1 Feat, Quick to Act +1, Disc Focus (weapon Focus –Dagger)
7. Swash3 5 4,6,4 4+INT Insightful Stike
8. Fighter1 6 6,6,4 2+INT Bonus Feat
9. Fighter2 7 7,6,4 2+INT Bonus Feat, 1 Feat
10. SSage2 8 7,7,5 6+INT AC Bonus
11. M.Throw1 9 7,9,5 4+INT Quick Draw, Thrown Trick
12. M.T2 10 7,10,5 4+INT 1 Feat, Evasion
13. M.T3 11 8,10,6 4+INT Thrown Trick
14. M.T4 12 8,11,6 4+INT Snatch Arrows
15. M.T5 13 8,11,6 4+INT 1 Feat, Crit Throw, Thrown Trick
16. Invis Blade1 14 8,13,6 4+INT +1d6SA, Unfetterred Defense
17. I.B2 15 8,14,6 4+INT Bleeding Wound
18. I.B3 16 9,14,7 4+INT 1 Feat, +1d6SA, uncanny feint (move)
19. I.B4 17 9,15,8 4+INT Feint Mastery
20. 18 9,15,8 4+INT +1d6SA, uncanny feint (free)

Strongheart Halfling (PGtF) or Human
1. Rogue - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Craven (CoR), Far Shot, 2x Flaws
2. Swashbuckler - B: Weapon Finesse
3. Rogue - Two Weapon Fighting
4. Rogue - Penetrating Strike ACF (DS)
5. Swashbuckler
6. Swordsage - B: Weapon Focus: Shadow Hand weapons, Shadowblade (ToB)
7. Swashbuckler
8. Fighter - Hit-and-Run Tactics ACF (DotU - if your DM is lenient), Targeteer ACF (DragMag 310)- Vital Aim
9. Fighter - Targeteer ACF - Rapid Shot, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10. Swordsage (for Assassins Stance)
11. Master Thrower - B: Quick Draw
12. Master Thrower - Dead Eye (DragMag 304)
13. Master Thrower
14. Master Thrower - B: Snatch Arrows
15. Master Thrower - B: Improved Critical, Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16. Invisible Blade
17. Invisible Blade
18. Invisible Blade - Improved Precise Shot
19. Invisible Blade
20. Invisible Blade

For throwing builds you need to look into ways to either carry enough daggers (not so good option) or magically generate an infinite supply of daggers (better option). There are three items that can work well for dagger throwing builds with some minor DM tweaking. The first is the Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC). The main change being changing the javelins to daggers (with maybe a corresponding change in damage from d6 to d4). The second item is the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades (MIC). It can produce daggers, but only 1 per round because of its Swift action activation. The change here would be changing Swift action to Free action. The third item is the Quiver of Anariel, posted in the spoiler below. The change here would be "quiver" to "bandoleer" and "arrow(s)" to "dagger(s)".
Spoiler
Hide

Quiver of Anariel

Quiver of Anariel:Quivers of Anariel appear to be typical arrow containers capable of holding a score of arrows. However, the quivers automatically replenish themselves with standard or magical arrows, such that they are always full. Some quivers also create arrows made of special materials, such as adamantine, cold iron, or alchemical silver.

Once an arrow it taken from the quiver, it must be used within 1 round or it vanishes.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, minor creation; Price 28,000 gp (standard arrows), 29,000 gp (masterwork arrows), 32,000 gp (+1 arrows), 44,000 gp (+2 arrows), 64,000 gp (+3 arrows), 92,000 gp (+4 arrows), 128,000 gp (+5 arrows); Add an additional +6,000 gp for adamantine arrows, +4,005 gp for cold iron arrows, or +200 gp for alchemical silver arrows; Weight 1 lb.
Thankfully someone saved this article here (http://web.archive.org/web/200704011..._lonedrowstats) since WOTC decided to delete the original posting.

Other magic items you may want to look into:
Rogue's Vest (MIC)
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM)
Bracers of the Hunter (SoX)

Non-magic items to consider (you can never have too many daggers)
Masterwork Bandoleer (FRCS)
Knife Vest (A&EG)
Boot Sheath (A&EG)
Wrist Sheath (A&EG)
Smuggler's Boots (A&EG)

Here is some light reading that may help you with the more Rogue based parts of the build.
The Rogue Handbook