PDA

View Full Version : [Metamagic Feat] Burning Spell and Lingering Flame Spell

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-05, 08:22 PM
Burning Spell [Metamagic]
Your fire-based spells have lingering effects.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells with the [Fire] descriptor.
Benefit: This feat can only be applied to damage-dealing spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Such spells deal 1 additional die of damage per round, for a number of rounds equal to half your caster level, rounded down. Spells modified by this feat take up a slot one level higher than the base spell.

Special: Alchemist fire can be used as a metamagic compenent to duplicate this feat's effects.

Lingering Flame Spell [Metamagic]
The effects of your fire spells linger even longer.
Prerequisites: Burning Spell, ability to cast 5th-level spells.
Benefits: This feat can only be applied to damage-dealing spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Such spells deal 1 additional die of damage per round, for a number of rounds equal to your full caster level. Spells modified by this feat take up a slot two levels higher than the base spell.

Special: Kobold Fire can be used as a metamagic compenent to duplicate this feat's effects.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-06, 03:44 PM
I've made a few modifications to the two feats and would like some commonts on them.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-06, 04:09 PM
Burning Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequistes: Ability to cast spells with the [Fire] descriptor.
Benefit: Any fire-based spell cast with this feat does one additional die of damage per round to its target or targets. It continues to inflict damage until it reaches half the caster's spellcasting level, up to half the spell's maximum damage dice rounded up. Example: Randol Fench, a 9th level wizard, casts a fireball using this feat at a gang of trolls. The inital spell causes 9d6 points of fire damage. For five more rounds the trolls take an additional 1d6 points of damage per round.

A burning spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Special: Alchemist's fire can duplicate the effects of this feat.

This is a bit confusingly worded. Without the example, it's not clear how it's supposed to work. Try this:

Burning Spell [Metamagic
Your fire-based spells have lingering effects.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells with the [Fire] descriptor.
Benefit: This feat can only be applied to damage-dealing spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Such spells deal 1 additional die of damage per round, for a number of rounds equal to half your caster level, rounded down. Spells modified by this feat take up a slot one level higher than the base spell.

I know it's not exactly the same as what you had, but it's simpler and easier to understand and calculate. I'm not quite sure what you were going for with the bit about alchemist's fire, so I didn't include it.

Prerequistes: Burning Spell and ability to cast 5th level spells with the [Fire] descriptor.
Benefit: As burning spell but using the casters full levels and damage dice maximum.

A long burning spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Special: Kobold Fire can be used as a metamagic compenent to duplicate this feat's effects.

The effects of your fire spells linger even longer.
Prerequisites: Burning Spell, ability to cast 5th-level spells.
Benefits: This feat can only be applied to damage-dealing spells with the [Fire] descriptor. Such spells deal 1 additional die of damage per round, for a number of rounds equal to your full caster level. Spells modified by this feat take up a slot two levels higher than the base spell.

Duke Malagigi
2007-10-06, 07:58 PM
Thank you Osari, I'll simplify the language of those two feats. This explains what metamagic components (http://srd.pbemnexus.com/unearthedMetamagic.html) are.