PDA

View Full Version : TWF Question

kieza
2007-10-05, 08:29 PM
Question 1: I've got a new player in a campaign I'm running, who, due to infamiliarity with the system, chose TWF and Exotic Proficiency: Bastard Sword at first level. Now, he has since started using a greatsword instead, but he also just acquired a set of spiked armor. Can he TWF with greatsword and spikes?

Question 2: He's also expressed interest in taking Improved Shield Bash. Combined with TWF and the spiked armor, can he, using bastard sword, spiked armor and spiked shield, make 1 normal and two off-hand attacks per round? Or does he need something like Improved TWF or Multiattack?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 08:37 PM
Unless I'm wrong, spikes don't count as TWF'able, and shields have their own line of feats. All in all, I'd say no, and I'd tell the player that he/she's gimping him/herself taking exotic wep proficiency, and that he/she should ask his/her DM if he/she could trade it for something more useful, like power attack or improved TWF. Or maybe even TWdefense.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 08:53 PM
For one thing...tell your player to choose one thing his character will do and not incapacitate himself by taking random feats...exotic weapon proficiency for bastard swords is kinda useless...if he wants something exotic tell him to get spiked chain,combat expertise, improved trip, dodge, defensive throw...

Concerning the spikes...their damage only comes in at grapples and bull rush attempts..there was also a tactical feat somewhere where you jump and charge you opponent while curled up in a ball(or something like it anyway) and attack with the spikes...though i seriously don't reccomend it...unless you gave him the +10 greater slaying(enemies) vorpal spikes of irreversible doom...which i doubt...

a shield being used with spikes as an attack form goes into the impr shield bash domain..which is a standard action anyway...and probably not worth it...its not even worth mentioning...TWF is a solid choice...especially with rogue...

A few tips for twf are:
1)boost your attack roll
2)carry light weapons
3)add +1d6 damage properties to your weapons
4)take a one level dip into warblade and then bloodclaw master
5)become a multi headed creature so you can take impr initiative and superior two weapon fighting(no -2 for light weapons) for free..+2 con is nice too:smallbiggrin:
6)power attack and shocktrooper are good choices once you can get your hands on them..i suggest taking impr bull rush first and taking power attack and shocktrooper together on one of the 3/6/9/12 etc levels so you get both at once...power attack aint that nice if you aint barbarian/frenzied berserker...

Thinker
2007-10-05, 09:10 PM
Answer 1: You can TWF with Armor Spikes + Greatsword:

Armor Spikes

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons) on a successful grapple attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon. If you are not proficient with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

Answer 2: He could not gain extra offhand attacks, read above.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:12 PM
That's really weird to picture....

The full plate armored brute attacks the dragon 3 times with his greatsword and then starts rubbing on the belly of the monster...

Might be a good idea battle wise but you would become the laughing stock in the campaign...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 09:15 PM
And the DM might houserule sexual innuendo isn't allowed, which is the death knell to that tactic.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:25 PM
You could also be in trouble of remaining in the dragon's lair forever if the dragon is of the opposite sex and your spikes don't overcome the monster's DR..spiking a high DR creature's underbelly could be misinterpreted as playful scratches...not recommended...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 09:28 PM
Scary thought. And I thought that that one time when I was surrounded by catgirls who adored me after I used a wish to stop a catgirl massacre was bad enough.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:36 PM
Scary thought. And I thought that that one time when I was surrounded by catgirls who adored me after I used a wish to stop a catgirl massacre was bad enough.

*dreams of heavens filled with catgirls adoring me...*

ehhhmmm...ok back to TWF...any tips anyone...

*dozes back off to dreamworld*

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 09:42 PM
Yes, another possible thing to do is go swordsage, get Girallon Windmill flesh rip, Raging Mongoose, and do Time stands still. Instant ton of powerful ass attacks.

BTW, you DON'T want catgirls adoring you. The launched themselves at me, and I was very lucky to have step of the dancing moth available and boots of celerity, else, I would have been rent by thousands upon thousands of claw attacks. Adoration on a person-by-person basis is nice. Adoration on a multitude of people capable of rend ain't nice.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:50 PM
Don't forget dancing mongoose stance for another 2 attacks(1 for each weapon)...i used time stands still with dancing mongoose, raging mongoose, belt of battle, boots of temporal acceleration and thrall of demogorgon PrC to get 64 attacks in one round...funny thing is i added vicious to both weapons...so i deal min 2176 and max 3904 damage...but i also take 128d6 damage too:smalltongue:
cleric please cast shield other one me*enchanting smile*
Also i think warblade is better than swordsage since it gets bonus feats and full BAB...

well adoring more than one can also be fun...as long as the point of adoration is not rending...scratching is acceptable as long as its non-lethal damage:smalltongue:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 09:54 PM
Tack in a 3.0 time stop, and watch the fireworks.

And yeah, problem is, when catgirls adore you, they covet you. And if they try to grab you, they hit you with their claws. Which, over a gigantic amount of catgirls, hurts. Even RD 30/epic wasn't enough reduction, so I decided adoration is best left for when you have the I Win feat.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-05, 09:57 PM
... Am I the only one imagining a person ramming their spiked knee into the creature, or slash-slash-slash followed by an elbow or hip check?

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 10:00 PM
... Am I the only one imagining a person ramming their spiked knee into the creature, or slash-slash-slash followed by an elbow or hip check?

That is a different matter...those aren't spikes...those are knee and elbow blades...completely different story...besides you're spoiling the fun of letting our imagination run wild at this late time of the night...

Btw i dont think that when they try to grab you they actually scratch you...they're cats...they just retract their claws...that was just your DM spoiling the fun coz he didn't want you to rp a catgirl orgy...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 10:03 PM
Actually, it was DM's. At that moment, I co-DM'ed a game with 2 other people. But yeah, you're right. This happened when I was level 52, and I had a class feature that stopped me from getting tired or exhausted, plus Ioun stones that negated the need for breathing, eating, sleeping, or drinking. Methinks I was ripoffed and didn't get enough XP, or opportunities to RP.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 10:16 PM
level 52???I seriously don't think rping such an event would get you more than an infestimal amount of xp than what you need to lvl up...but its those precious moments of laughter that make the whole session worth it:smallbiggrin:

ahhh...catgirls...is there an actual race for catgirls somewhere?i'd love to play one...not catfolk though...they don't look as nice...

Btw anyone have a link for that hilarious photo sig with the catgirls vs science rules...the one where lightning strikes one of them...

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 10:19 PM
Ya, there are three or four cool catgirl species in wikipedia D&D special pedia. We used one of those, and in our group, roleplaying always gives you 1/3 of the max xp you need to level if it's big and done well. So, I could have gotten a level, and become a godlike being for catgirls.

I seriously need to request a time traveling experience to do things right at that moment.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 10:30 PM
Can i get a link for this?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 10:32 PM
Link for what?

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 10:33 PM
D&D wikipedia special pedia?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-05, 10:35 PM
Aaah, yeah.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/User_Races

The link for races. The catgirls are all three nekosomethings, and the whole slew of catgirls.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 10:42 PM
Hehe i love this!!a whole new world of D&D stuff for me to explore:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: