PDA

View Full Version : Whole new look

Space-Is-Curved
2007-10-05, 09:09 PM
Ok. Story time.

At my high school (don't know how common it is elsewhere), we have a thing called spirit week. It's basically the week before homecoming where each day has a specific theme for the students to show their school pride and have some fun.

One of the days is decade day, a day where those who want to are encouraged to dress up like a person from another decade. The 80's are commonly used, and a lot of people were wearing togas for extra credit in Latin class, but I decided to go 50's. I saw a few other like me there, but the impact this change of appearance had was pretty remarkable, both on my outlook and others towards me.

My costume, so to speak, was a greaser. I slicked my hair back and wore jeans, a white tee shirt, and a brown leather jacket. Now, I normally wear jeans and a tee shirt and leave my hair slightly wavy and a little long. It's down to my eyes and the back of my neck.

Almost all of my friends were in awe. They were totally shocked that someone as shy as I am would do something this far out (not very, I know) and that I looked pretty good. People I never talked to said that I looked fantastic and some of my closest friends took a few seconds to recognize me. The double takes were hilarious. Three or four people I hardly know were taking out cell phones to take pictures of me and I was talking to a lot more people than I usually do. My friends of the female persuasion insisted that I looked hot, and that other people they know said the same. I was told countless times to keep doing my hair that way.

The biggest surprise was that I started to initiate conversation with those I didn't really know. For me, that's huge. It really was a huge confidence boost.

I don't think that I will adopt the style in the long run, but I may try it again when in a few months for kicks, to see if it works on an ordinary day.

Well, that's my story. Does anyone else have similar experiences in which a change of appearance has a larger than expected response? Or any comment towards my terribly written narrative?

Volug
2007-10-05, 09:14 PM
My Red Mage Cosplay costume of course!

It gives me Pluses to my rolls, and don't forget my +5/+5 hat of awesomness.
I love the costume, im alot friendlier and willing to do things i would never do.:smallbiggrin:
I so far wore it 3 years in a row for halloween. ( I of course got new costumes when the others wore out)

I'm in fact wearing my hat right now... i never take of the hat..... except for sleeping and school.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-10-05, 09:18 PM
I once, got a pi- light red cloak forced upon me once after an accident involving 9 squares, a over energetic llama and some light red paint. *glare*

Not all new looks are good.

(Glad that yours was though:smalltongue: )

Thanatos 51-50
2007-10-05, 09:20 PM
Any time I'm wearing a suit. Or a tuxedo. Or pretty much any uniform that isn't BDUs or Utilities or Coveralls.

Brickwall
2007-10-05, 09:22 PM
I've learned that even a minor change of appearance can turn a lot of heads, if those heads know you. Something major like that will have everyone talking. Not that unusual.

Interestingly enough, I tried slicking my hair back in freshman year. Did it for a month or two because I had been told it looked interesting. Then I decided on my own that I hated it. Since then, I have taken advice on looks with many more grains of salt.

ForzaFiori
2007-10-05, 09:27 PM
The few small changes i've made have usually resulted in good marks.

grew my hair out a tad bit, from a stereotypical guy's cut (not quite buzzed, but not that long either), to down to the end of my neck. Chicks loved it.

Started wearing shorts more (used to always wear jeans), chicks learned i have amazing calves. YAY soccer and CC.

switched from glasses to contacts. HUGE ego boost when you realize people wont know you can't see anymore. Also allowed me to play sports.

Mattarias, King.
2007-10-05, 09:28 PM
Anyone ever see the picture of Pelor from Deities and demigods?

I once straightened my ungodly curly hair for a dance. All my friends stated i looked like THAT. :smallbiggrin:

Guess what god one of my friends was a cleric of? :smallbiggrin:

Starla
2007-10-05, 09:30 PM
Probably because you change your hair your face was more visible and everyone could see your attractive features. I like watching What Not To Where and you can see how people go from hiding in their hair to being more visible in their face and you see them and not their hair.

When I was in high school I did not have a lot of esteem about my looks. I was prettier than I believed, but I am not sorry I didn't know it. I was asked by some girls in math class to try parting my hair in the middle so they could see what I looked like. That was the classic style for girls in high school then, and when I showed them they tried to convince me to wear my hair that way. I did not for 2 reasons. I liked looking different from them and I was used to parting my hair on the side because since I was young I admired the disney Ariel and wanted to look and sing like her. Though I was older the style had become a part of how I defined my look.

I am now older it is now the style to part hair to the side because it frames your face better and because parting down the middle makes your forhead and face look longer. I am not sorry this is the style, I have changed my haircut from my youth but I still part it to the same side.

On another note. There is a young man from my church who had a voice "defect." Due to an operation in his youth he had a high wispy voice (kind of like the sound you would expect a cough would clear the throat) from age 12 to now. His voice has dropped slightly now that he is older but still has the same quality that could only be fixed by another surgery. He is now at the age that surgically his vocal cords could be altered and he would have a "normal" voice. However, everyone knows his voice distinctly now and as his sister-in-law said he wouldn't be the same person without this distinct characteristic. He has decided to keep his vocal cords just the way they are now.

Just 3 thoughts that may or may not sway your decision. Don't be afraid to style or cut your hair differently, but make sure you still like it. The nice thing about hair is that it grows out and you can start fresh in 6 months or less.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-10-05, 09:31 PM
Anyone ever see the picture of Pelor from Deities and demigods?

I once straightened my ungodly curly hair for a dance. All my friends stated i looked like THAT. :smallbiggrin:

Guess what god one of my friends was a cleric of? :smallbiggrin:

Nerrul? (/Me wonders if this blank filler text is nessecasry)

evisiron
2007-10-05, 10:23 PM
I found that carrying a LARP sword or weapon in a convention means you talk to a lot more people. Plus, you get remembered ("the dude with the kickass mace" still counts!).

de-trick
2007-10-05, 10:57 PM
i have 2 looks based on my lenght of hair short i look buff, longe hair i look like a punk. i know i look good wearing a suit with short hair

The Neoclassic
2007-10-05, 11:09 PM
Changing one's look on occasion (or often) is good. I switch between attire that's androgynous slightly-emo, metrosexual masculine, black & satin & feminine, girl-next-door, business casual, and "sexy communist" (boots + "Communist Party Shirt" + skirt + tights). Variety is good. It confuses people and prevents them from boxing you up.

So, yeah, sounds like your change of outfit worked out well. Try it again sometime. :smallsmile:

Midnight Son
2007-10-06, 12:44 AM
I shaved my head and grew out a bit of my facial hair. I did a lot of experiments with the facial hair before I got a look that I really like.

Gaelbert
2007-10-06, 12:57 AM
I grew out my hair. That worked out pretty well.

RTGoodman
2007-10-06, 01:02 AM
Well, back in high school I decided that I'd try growing my hair out, and I ended up not getting it cut for I think around 3 years. I got a ton of compliments about it, and apparently it shocked people when I had it all cut off. I guess it just sort of became how people expected me to look.

Of course, I decided soon thereafter that I liked it better long, so for the past 3 years or so I've been growing it out again. As of now, I think (as long as it's wet and therefore straight - curse you naturally-curly hair!) that it's down to about half-way down my back. But now, of course, I'm thinking that I might look better (and more professional, since grad school and thus interviews and such are looming in the next year or two) if I had it cut short again.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-10-06, 01:44 AM
I'm a jeans and tee shirt kinda guy. I never wanted to impress anyone; I simply wanted (and still want) to be comfortable. And this is how most of the world sees, and has seen, me.

Many moons ago, my girlfriend at that time had to come pick me up from work, as my car was dead. It turns out that her car had died that day, so she asked her mother to drive her to come get me. Now, the girlfriend had seen me in work attire, but her mother had not. What "mom" saw me emerge from my office in threw her for a loop. Me, clad in a charcoal grey, double-breasted suit, plum shirt, polished blask shoes, and a tie that combined all colors, with a few chaotic splashes of navy blue. Putting me in a suit also produced a different posture in me, so I was standing straight and walking like I meant business.

Mom: Ho-ly! Was he ever in the military?
GF: No, mom. They don't take diabetics, remember?
Mom: Well, damn...he sure cleans up nicely!

:smallredface:

Kinda scary when your girlfriend's mom finds you attractive, but also armed me nicely for years to come when I felt the need to embarrass her. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-10-06, 02:03 AM
Ok. Story time.

At my high school (don't know how common it is elsewhere), we have a thing called spirit week. It's basically the week before homecoming where each day has a specific theme for the students to show their school pride and have some fun.

One of the days is decade day, a day where those who want to are encouraged to dress up like a person from another decade. The 80's are commonly used, and a lot of people were wearing togas for extra credit in Latin class, but I decided to go 50's. I saw a few other like me there, but the impact this change of appearance had was pretty remarkable, both on my outlook and others towards me.

My costume, so to speak, was a greaser. I slicked my hair back and wore jeans, a white tee shirt, and a brown leather jacket. Now, I normally wear jeans and a tee shirt and leave my hair slightly wavy and a little long. It's down to my eyes and the back of my neck.

Almost all of my friends were in awe. They were totally shocked that someone as shy as I am would do something this far out (not very, I know) and that I looked pretty good. People I never talked to said that I looked fantastic and some of my closest friends took a few seconds to recognize me. The double takes were hilarious. Three or four people I hardly know were taking out cell phones to take pictures of me and I was talking to a lot more people than I usually do. My friends of the female persuasion insisted that I looked hot, and that other people they know said the same. I was told countless times to keep doing my hair that way.

The biggest surprise was that I started to initiate conversation with those I didn't really know. For me, that's huge. It really was a huge confidence boost.

I don't think that I will adopt the style in the long run, but I may try it again when in a few months for kicks, to see if it works on an ordinary day.

Well, that's my story. Does anyone else have similar experiences in which a change of appearance has a larger than expected response? Or any comment towards my terribly written narrative?
Aha! This is exactly what I said once in the Relationships thread! (alas, that thread seems to have been scrapped completely. There goes my long general summing-up post :smallfrown:)

Rykaj
2007-10-06, 07:04 AM
I am now older it is now the style to part hair to the side because it frames your face better and because parting down the middle makes your forhead and face look longer.

I have seriously always wondered, what is that "framing your face" thing that people always talk about and is it good or not? Cause I can't tell... :smallconfused:

LCR
2007-10-06, 07:19 AM
I have seriously always wondered, what is that "framing your face" thing that people always talk about and is it good or not? Cause I can't tell... :smallconfused:

Only coiffeuses and girls can.

French words are silly!

Ranis
2007-10-06, 08:03 AM
When I was in high school, I never changed my look because I really never cared to know what others thought of me because of what I wore; rather, I wanted to know what people thought of me that knew me. So I guess what I'm saying is that popularity can be fun, but are you really looking for a billion empty friendships?

The Neoclassic
2007-10-06, 08:10 AM
When I was in high school, I never changed my look because I really never cared to know what others thought of me because of what I wore; rather, I wanted to know what people thought of me that knew me. So I guess what I'm saying is that popularity can be fun, but are you really looking for a billion empty friendships?

I don't think the "popular kids" will friend you because you dress up differently for one day. In Space-is-Curved's story, he was talking primarily about his friends' reaction. I don't think that popularity has anything to do with it; looking attractive from time to time is not a bad thing at all, and isn't shallow as you are possibly suggesting (forgive me if I misinterpreted). What one wears is also, in one way or another, an expression of one's self. I don't know about your school, but with my group of friends in high school, we all wore what we liked (some of us put more effort into our appearance than others) and occasionally complimented each others' outfits or discussed clothing we liked, but our friendships were not at all based on such things.

Serpentine
2007-10-06, 09:17 AM
My point was also that just looking good and different can give one a real confidence boost, and make you that bit more ready to talk to people you normally wouldn't. And now I have evidence of my theory :smallbiggrin:

Hannes
2007-10-06, 10:10 AM
Well... I get told I look prettier when I...

Be prepared folks.

Take off my shirt. For some reason, they like my average body :smallconfused:

Serpentine
2007-10-06, 10:19 AM
Reow :smallwink:
*sigh* why can't more guys* dress like the guy at the library? :smallfrown: :smallannoyed:

*my age

Rykaj
2007-10-06, 11:04 AM
Still lounging in that library eh?

I think you're making the correct assumption that popularity CAN be based off of looks. I don't agree that this is supposed to lead to empty friendships. If popularity leads to more people wanting to talk to you, more power to you, but it's still your choice who to befriend and who not. And because you are now looking better your friendships with people are empty? I don't think so. I think you'll end up with more acquaintances than before and the same amount of friends (or more if you meet great new people of course!)

Dean Fellithor
2007-10-06, 11:40 AM
I've been in the same look for the past 3 years, Brown, dry, curly-ish hair a pair of Black Cargo 3 Quater pants (not at school) and T-shirts (brand new and ones that have been round since I was 9), people like me better with my out of school fashion, but loads of people still hate me.

I dunno, maybe I need a new look.

this thread seams to be influencing me to make a thread...

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-10-06, 01:33 PM
*sigh* why can't more guys* dress like the guy at the library? :smallfrown: :smallannoyed:

*my age
The 40-year-old barbarian monk says you must stop griping about this. At least you are young and attractive, as opposed to the decrepit, aformentioned monk, who is considered a dirty old man for looking at someone YOUR age! :smallyuk:

Rachel Lorelei
2007-10-06, 02:06 PM
Normally, I go for "elegant". Maybe "pretty" or "cute", or, if I'm in a rush "convenient and bugger my appearance".

Once every two or three weeks, I completely goth out, just for kicks. Spiked choker, leather, boots, more spikes, eyeliner, more eyeliner, the works.
It's fun, but I don't see it affecting how I act much, except when I play up the stereotype and get all surly.

ETA: Which reminds me...
http://www.eluid.org/news/moms-minivan.jpg

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-06, 04:26 PM

I never cared about what others thought about how I looked either. But this was only really because I didn't think it was worth bothering. I kept my hair short because I thought it looked bad whatever length it was (I didn't pay any attention to the girl who told me they liked my hair after I'd had it cut).

You're statement is kind of annoying. It comes across as elitist and contrived. Life isn't an 80s teen movie.

You have a narrow opinion of this lofty ideal people call 'being yourself'. If you don't do anything about your appearance people will just think your scruffy. Nobody said changing your appearance meant you had to look like other people. If you pay attention to how you look you can make yourself more of an individual. I message I hear a lot of people say is that people won't like you unless you like yourself. I hate everybody so I can't say if that one's true or not.

If you want people to like you for what you are why are you missing an opportunity to show people what you are?

bosssmiley
2007-10-06, 05:18 PM
Eggy in a suit gets gawped at. Apparently my whole demeanour (posture, body language, tone of voice, etc.) changes from being 'slipshod, slovenly son of Boris Johnson' to 'former Sgt Major-become-schoolmaster'. Shame I hate wearing suits really.

Da Beast
2007-10-06, 07:23 PM
A haven't had a hair cut in over a year it's almost down to my shoulders now, the longest it's ever been. Girls seem to like it, so I think I'll hold off on cutting it.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-10-06, 08:04 PM
Serious question, females:

Whats up with all the long hair loving ya'all got going on? I'd wear mine long, but I HAVE to keep it sheared short for work.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-10-06, 08:12 PM
Another long hair guy here. Except mine is all curly...

Hannes
2007-10-07, 06:48 AM
Hair? Well... I'm growing mine until it reaches to about half of my back. Reason?
To smite Iced Earth fans. My hair is like Matt Barlow's (before he cut it all off, duh), but it's only shoulder-length currently. Also, more facial hair needed before I can go on a trip to the city to impersonate Barlow >: )

Serpentine
2007-10-07, 06:57 AM
Still lounging in that library eh?
Working, thank you very much. :smallannoyed: Just because I read a New Internationalist and flipped through Poo: A Natural History...

The 40-year-old barbarian monk says you must stop griping about this. At least you are young and attractive, as opposed to the decrepit, aformentioned monk, who is considered a dirty old man for looking at someone YOUR age! :smallyuk:
Hey, I can list more precedents for your dating someone my age than my dating a teenager (not including teacher-student lawsuits) :smalltongue:

Jibar
2007-10-07, 07:12 AM
I got a story like that surprisingly.
Being an English public school, we of course had a uniform and every one in a while we'd have a day where we could dress how we like.
Up to this point I was the shorts and sandals guy. Every non-uniform day I'd show up in T-Shirts, shorts and sandals, everybody would laugh at how cold I must be or how silly I looked, but I didn't care.
I generally looked silly in uniform though thanks to my wild hair. It was getting rather long, but nobody had really noticed because I did nothing to it, so I had a sort of ginger afro going on.
So, this day I decide to do something different. I show up in trousers, trainers and a hoodie (Zelda, not chavy of course), but most importantly, I straightened my hair.
The effect was huge. Apart from being flabbergasted at how different I looked, I was also being told by all the ladies how good I looked with it straight.

Right now, I'm waiting for my hair to get back to that length again so I can have my snazzy long straight hair again.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-10-07, 07:16 AM
Fable.

Ever play it?
Some clothes make you eviler. And my friend was griping about it. "Why can my uber good guy wear Assassin's outfit, can't you be good and wear dark clothing?"

No. No you cannot. For instance, I can look a bunch of different ways. From khaki shorts with a baby blue shirt, which I feel submissive and 'good' in, to black shorts and shirt with a leather band around my neck, which just makes me feel badass.

Turns out the clothes do make the man.

Green Bean
2007-10-07, 07:18 AM
No. No you cannot. For instance, I can look a bunch of different ways. From khaki shorts with a baby blue shirt, which I feel submissive and 'good' in, to black shorts and shirt with a leather band around my neck, which just makes me feel badass.

What do clownsuits do? :smallbiggrin:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-10-07, 07:21 AM
+10 Evil, -2 Stealth, +2 Renown.

Starla
2007-10-07, 10:07 AM

When women have long hair it tends to lie flat on their head so all you see is their round forehead, ears and whatever their jaw strucure is becomes a frame for their eyes, nose and mouth. But when their hair has lift and shape it frames their forehead, and cheekbones and creates a softer look and gives more definition to the facial structure. The whole face becomes noticed as opposed to just the middle, just like when you put a frame on a picture it will compliment the picture and give it more depth and definition.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/mostshocking_07.html

Here is a good example of what I mean. She has an oval face and it just looks like and oval with her long hair pulled back close to her head.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/mostshocking_08.html
By giving her bangs, even when she pulls her hair back, she will have some hair framing and softening the look. It pulls the eye in to her facial features so you see more than just an oval with eyes nose and mouth, but her whole face.

There are some others there that have a hairdo that frames the face, but the hair takes over because it too big, just like you can get a frame that overwhelms the picture. So what they did was bring the hair down, tame it to a smaller, simpler style so the whole look becomes a supporting feature for their face instead of the main attraction.

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/mostshocking_03.html
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/bestof/mostshocking/mostshocking_04.html

Don Julio Anejo
2007-10-07, 08:54 PM
Okay, I'm back home for a few days... bumped into my ex when I came to my previous work to say hi to people. Yay for shopping and a whole new look! Kinda bohemianish, with a wool jacket, a couple of v-neck preppy sweaters, a scarf and a nice pair of funky shoes (my first pair of non-running shoes in something like 6 years, not counting dress shoes).

Jack Squat
2007-10-07, 09:04 PM
We had spirit week as well. For take it back day, I've done the same things as you, minus the jacket, plus aviators, and senior year I did a Pac Man costume.

That latter got in the yearbook, while the former had people wondering why I wasn't wearing my normal glasses.

I've also been told I clean up really nice, but that has yet to be proven.

FdL
2007-10-09, 04:47 PM
Fable.

Ever play it?
Some clothes make you eviler. And my friend was griping about it. "Why can my uber good guy wear Assassin's outfit, can't you be good and wear dark clothing?"

Yeah, I've played it (awesome) and know what you mean.

Last year when I went out for vacations with my gf I started growing a moustache and goatee (can't bother to find the exact name for the facial hair style). Many people were surprised by this and liked it.
And somewhere last year, as a result of my balding I've decided to cut my hair really short, not totally trimming it off but as short as I can get it and be comfortable with it. Many people also liked it. Well, if my female co-workers are an indication, I look much better now than when I had balding+longer hair (which I think helped hide it but it seems it didn't).

Also, in what I now see as a creepy foretelling, before all this my then-girfriend and I were playing with photoshop and a pic of mine and tried a shaved-head and goatee look on me, for fun. Strangely enough I slowly ended up looking a lot like that pic, and not on purpose.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-09, 05:49 PM
Last year I dressed up as Arthur Dent from HGTG for Halloween. I wore the costume early so I could get extra credit in one of my classes, but I didn't have time between my classes and work to change, so it was a bit strange to wander through the stacks at the library straightening out shelves and stuff in a bathrobe.