PDA

View Full Version : Animate Objects Spell Item Examples Per Size

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-02, 11:32 PM
I'm looking for examples of what objects I can expect to animate for each size preferably in one of the books.

What I would love is:
Tiny - silverware
Small - Swords and many common weapons
Medium - A suit of armor
Large - A carriage
Huge - A poor man's residence or 15 x 15 rock

But I'm looking for something official.

This is the best I have found and it implies creatures

Tiny 2½ by 2½ ft. Imp, Sprite
Small 5 by 5 ft. Giant Rat, Goblin
Medium 5 by 5 ft. Orc, Werewolf
Large 10 by 10 ft. Hippogriff, Ogre
Huge 15 by 15 ft. Fire Giant, Treant

JackPhoenix
2019-06-03, 12:17 AM
DMG, p. 247. Note that vehicles and buildings are not a single object according to the same rules.

Potato_Priest
2019-06-03, 12:36 AM
DMG, p. 247. Note that vehicles and buildings are not a single object according to the same rules.

Really? That’s extremely disappointing. I’ve always dreamed of animating a ship.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-03, 07:25 AM
Drat. No animating an occupied outhouse and having it walk away lol.

nickl_2000
2019-06-03, 07:39 AM
Drat. No animating an occupied outhouse and having it walk away lol.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. It would have a pretty crappy attack anyways.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-03, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about it to much. It would have a pretty crappy attack anyways.

That was totally hilarious. How will I ever sneak an out house attack into one of our games. First I have to breach the subject of where ppl are pooping next town we're in. Darn that DM is gonna look strangely at me.

Damon_Tor
2019-06-03, 02:53 PM
Small - Swords and many common weapons

Eh, most weapons would be tiny. Maybe big two handers, stuff with the heavy property.

I think the small items you'd be most likely to animate would be things like chairs and barstools.

Tanarii
2019-06-03, 08:47 PM
From everything I've seen about this spell in the forums, it seems like it would behoove a DM to rule there is a size of objects too small to use as Tiny objects: coins, ballbearing, caltrops, silverware. Basically anything less than about a 1/4 lb individually, which would still allow Darts.

nickl_2000
2019-06-04, 06:25 AM
That was totally hilarious. How will I ever sneak an out house attack into one of our games. First I have to breach the subject of where ppl are pooping next town we're in. Darn that DM is gonna look strangely at me.

Use it to approach the town from that side so "it will mask your scent from anyone in town"

Lyracian
2019-06-04, 06:54 AM
DM to rule there is a size of objects too small to use as Tiny objects: coins, ballbearing, caltrops, silverware.
That is funny as they are all the items people post up you should be animating.

Tanarii
2019-06-04, 07:52 AM
That is funny as they are all the items people post up you should be animating.
Yep. But people recommend shenanigans all the time online.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-04, 08:56 AM

So whatvs the deal. I'll have to find daggers to animate for tiny, chairs or greatswords or pikes for small, suits of armor for medium...what for large and huge?

Lyracian
2019-06-04, 01:16 PM
Fortunately there is nothing in the spell description to prevent miniature objects being animated. I am more than happy for my players to animate their pocket change.

Vogie
2019-06-04, 01:32 PM
I mean, the Flying Sword is a stat'd monster in the MM and is a small construct (and the Animated Armor is also a medium construct) so those are pretty much on point with your idea. They do have different stats, but the same damage die - the flying sword has a d8 and the Animated armor has two d6 attacks (instead of a single 2d6 attack)

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-06-04, 11:33 PM
I mean, the Flying Sword is a stat'd monster in the MM and is a small construct (and the Animated Armor is also a medium construct) so those are pretty much on point with your idea. They do have different stats, but the same damage die - the flying sword has a d8 and the Animated armor has two d6 attacks (instead of a single 2d6 attack)

Good deal. Thanks for bringing that up.

In one of those Tales of the Yawning Portal adventures I DM'ed the party fought an Animated Table. Your reply got me to look it up and it is referred to as a large construct.

So now we have:

sword: Small
Armor: Medium
Table: Large

from the books.

i can go with Tiny being dagger down to caltrop size....makes me want some silvered caltrops. Huge would have to be something bigger than a table for 6 or 8 but not gargantuan.