PDA

View Full Version : eberon dragonmark question

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:10 PM
Actually...i just became reminiscent of the only eberon campaign i ever played and was looking through the campaign setting...

If you take the heir of siberys prestige class(and obviously gain the siberys dragonmark) can you thereafter take the least, lesser and greater dragonmark feats?

It says that characters with the corresponding feats cannot *enter* this prestige class...It also says that once a character enters this prestige class he cannot enter the dragonmark heir prestige class...Is it possible this was a loophole purposefully left around by the developers?

PS...does anyone still play eberon anyway?I think the overall attitude towards it was kinda bad...but its a fun campaign setting if you get a nice RP DM i think...

PaladinBoy
2007-10-05, 09:20 PM
I can only speak for myself, but yes, I believe people do still play Eberron.

As for the question, taking the dragonmark feats after becoming an Heir of Siberys is something which is RAW-legal, but unlikely to be allowed by most DMs, IMHO. Mostly because it strikes me as making very little sense, and it seems like the intent was to force players to choose between a Siberys mark and a normal mark.

Kyeudo
2007-10-05, 09:40 PM
I've always looked at Siberys marks as being something powerful that only develops later in life, thus the higher level requirements. I allow my players to take the normal Dragonmark chain of feats, since the Syberius Mark should be able to manifest the powers of the lesser marks.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 09:44 PM
Actually i was surprised to see that the siberys dragonmark did not include all the other dragonmark abilities...did you houserule that it was so?

CASTLEMIKE
2007-10-05, 10:55 PM
If you take the heir of siberys prestige class(and obviously gain the siberys dragonmark) can you thereafter take the least, lesser and greater dragonmark feats?

It says that characters with the corresponding feats cannot *enter* this prestige class...It also says that once a character enters this prestige class he cannot enter the dragonmark heir prestige class...Is it possible this was a loophole purposefully left around by the developers?

I would say No based on the Dragonmark text on pages 62-63 of ECS. The Aberrant Mark feat and the heir of Sibersy prestige class grant alternative dragonmark-like abilities.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 11:00 PM
Though i think that its RAW legal to do it...i'd agree that it shouldn't happen...though i think its a misconception on their part...siberys dragonmark should grant at least 4 powers correspondent to the other 3 feats you can't take+the siberys dragonmark...maybe not the same as the other dragonmark feats, though at least some more abilities other than just a 1/day...it kinda makes taking 3 levels in a PrC quite useles..

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-05, 11:06 PM
Of course people still play Eberron. It's quite a popular product line. Most of the negative reactions when it came out were reactionism, same as most negative reactions to any product that isn't simply terrible.

Anyway, I'd say no, largely for flavor reasons. As far as I can tell, the intention you have a "standard" Dragonmark or a Syberis Mark or an Aberrant Mark, period. And if you go by the inconsistently-applied theory that if you get something that would disqualify you from a PrC after you take levels in it (this usually happens through stat drain), you lose all the PrC abilities, it's not rules-legal either.

And no, you're not supposed to get all previous Dragonmark abilities from the Syberis Mark. They're two very different animals.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 11:11 PM
hmm..now i see what you mean...i saw it in my mind as the next step after greater dragonmark...not a different dragonmark...but it makes sense...i really wanted to play an eberon campaign with a good rp DM...though non professional DMs that play that way are rare...and i sure as hell don't know any of them:smalleek:

Eberon can be a quite interesting RPheavy setting i think...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-05, 11:19 PM
Check out the PbP games on this site. There are usually a few open Eberron games. One just opened up by Z-Axis that intrigues me, I just don't have time for it.

kemmotar
2007-10-05, 11:24 PM
So how do you join a PbP game?I don't wanna make a thread there and possibly disrupt any games...do you play whenever you feel like it or do you assign specific hours everybody plays?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-06, 02:36 AM
This thread is your new best friend:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074