PDA

View Full Version : Creating a World as a Group

Wolfswift
2019-06-03, 12:40 AM
So a member of my group decided it would be cool to create a world and setting together as a group. He gave us some rules to create godlike characters in the Big Eyes Small Mouth system. The idea is we each make a god and work together to create a world that has something in it for each of us.

Now, creating gods and saying we use out powers to make the world is all fine and dandy, but once our gods make sentient races and those races build kingdoms which will rise and fall, go to war or last through the ages, we're not sure how to manage kingdoms or randomize events like plagues and other problems. I wonder if anyone knows any good way to manage civilizations and kingdoms.

caden_varn
2019-06-03, 05:56 AM
The Microscope system is designed for pretty much this.

Wolfswift
2019-06-03, 01:32 PM
After a quick search I found the Microscope RPG from Lame Mage Productions. After looking at it, it does sound like it could tackle that aspect of our world building idea, but I also saw the Kingdoms RPG from the same people and it also sounds good for this. Now I don't know which might work better.

I normally wouldn't mind buying both books, except I have very little money right now and need to save most of what I get. I'd hate to get both and end up using neither, I've wasted enough money lately. So I want to be sure I get the right book and that my group will want to use it before I do.

caden_varn
2019-06-04, 07:05 AM
I only have microscope, not heard of Kingdoms I'm afraid, so I cannot help.

Pleh
2019-06-04, 08:36 AM
My friends and I used Dawn of Worlds. Last I checked, it was free to use as per the creators (I think they just wanted creative credit?)

Pelle
2019-06-04, 10:12 AM
I would say Microscope is bigger in scope, while Kingdoms is more focused and concerns local social dynamics.

If you want to make a generic fantasy setting, you can all play a game of Smallworld, and use that to establish the current nations and history of the world.

username1
2019-06-05, 08:18 AM
To get the most out of building a new world with others here's what I recomend. Your going to need a phone and 20 dollars. First, get the whole group together. Now use the phone to call a local pizza place in your area and order some food. Now spend the rest of the evening working together on these details. This is the most rewarding part of worldbuilding. You should all have the creative power to do this.

Wolfswift
2019-06-06, 09:56 AM
To get the most out of building a new world with others here's what I recomend. Your going to need a phone and 20 dollars. First, get the whole group together. Now use the phone to call a local pizza place in your area and order some food. Now spend the rest of the evening working together on these details. This is the most rewarding part of worldbuilding. You should all have the creative power to do this.

Ha. Ha. We're looking to make a game out of it. Something interesting and fun to do, as opposed to just discussing how events would play out and having issues like one god making an infinite defense to protect their people and another god using infinity+1 attack to break it or something. It's been pointed out that everyone might want nice peaceful times, but there will need to be adversity to create a good narrative and leave ruins and such for adventurers to raid.