PDA

View Full Version : Optimization build idea-binder/ordained champion

Heavenblade
2019-06-03, 06:52 AM
so, while going through the binder guide, I saw that tenebrous (a powerful vestige on it's own right) also gives you turn undead once per 5 rounds. I immedietly thought that It could combine wonderfully with ordained champion, since I would get effectively limitless smites per day. combine that with the fact that ordained champion uses my effective rebuking levels (which can be boosted by a lot of items/feats), and you can see why I like this option.

I guess that the build would look like this, at it's most basic form-
paladin 5 (charging smite)/binder 8/knight of the sacred seal 5/ordained champion (improved binding)

using a valorous manyfang dagger, plus some turning-level boosting magic items, and I can do a pretty good amount of damage (I think)

my question is-am I missing something here? is there any other trick that could be combined into this? should I just ditch the paladin levels?

WhamBamSam
2019-06-04, 12:49 AM
Any particular reason you're not just getting your unlimited smites from Andras?

Andras also has the nice benefit of explicitly stacking with other sources of Smite Good/Smite Evil. I've toyed around a bit with using Fiendish/Celestial or Half-Fiend/Half-Celestial* templates to double progress smiting.

*Or more likely, 2 levels of a transition class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a) off of a Lesser Aasimar or Tiefling. Aasimar has a more favorable Binder statline, but Tiefling opens up better SLA options by way of the Half-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) articles.

Heavenblade
2019-06-04, 05:10 AM
The reason I refrained from going with andras, is because the ordained champion smite is more versatile. although taking both andras and tenebrous would be even more fun, since (with the rapid recovery line) I can get two smites per four rounds. and, the improved critical I get from andras works nicely with the dagger.