PDA

View Full Version : Looking for shadow-y template

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-03, 07:51 AM
I remember seeing a template somewhere that could be applied for 2k XP and that granted a few shadow-related abilities which inflicted damage and Con loss upon use. There was a "hide in shadows" and a "dimension door through shadows" power of some sort.
I think that it was first party content, and wasn't homebrew.
Does this ring a bell?

Zaq
2019-06-03, 12:20 PM
Sounds like the weird rituals in Lords of Darkness, which I don’t think are technically templates. I’d look there to start.

Thurbane
2019-06-03, 05:36 PM
I was thinking maybe Shadow-Bound (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030728a), but there are some differences to your description.

Rynjin
2019-06-03, 06:10 PM
Pathfinder has the Shadow Creature (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/shadow-creature-cr-1/) template which can be upgraded to Shadow Lord (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/shadow-lord-cr-2/) at higher HD.

Shadow Lord particularly gets a touch attack with (a chance to deal) Con damage, and once per day Gate to the Shadow Plane. Between the two templates (which build off each other, a Shadow Lord has all the Shadow creature abilities) they give everything you were looking for I believe.

inuyasha
2019-06-03, 06:10 PM
There could be something in the "Prestige Races" category that showed up in some Dragon articles. They were a similar concept applied by supplying XP and getting thematic abilities, like shadow themed, fey themed, elemental themed, "brutish" themes, that sort of thing.

DrMotives
2019-06-03, 06:41 PM
There could be something in the "Prestige Races" category that showed up in some Dragon articles. They were a similar concept applied by supplying XP and getting thematic abilities, like shadow themed, fey themed, elemental themed, "brutish" themes, that sort of thing.

Nah, I just looked those up. Issue #304, and the only ones offered in the article are the 4 standard elements, a celestial set, and a clockwork creature set.

inuyasha
2019-06-03, 07:16 PM
Nah, I just looked those up. Issue #304, and the only ones offered in the article are the 4 standard elements, a celestial set, and a clockwork creature set.

Ohhh darn. I remember there being more, maybe they showed up in a 3rd party book of mine.

flappeercraft
2019-06-03, 07:21 PM
Sounds a bit like the Shadow-Walker template. However this one costs 2,000 or 10,000 GP and no xp and has LA +1. It's from Unapproachable East IIRC

Death_Lord12
2019-06-03, 07:25 PM
Sounds like the weird rituals in Lords of Darkness, which I don’t think are technically templates. I’d look there to start.

Zaq is right, you're looking for The Ritual of Shadow Walking, Lords of Darkness, page 125.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-04, 05:38 PM
Thank you to everyone who answered!
I was indeed looking for the Ritual of Shadow-Walking. I was hoping to use it on a Dark Whisper Gnome Binder with Tenebrous, Zceryll and Naberius. The idea was to make a character who could hide in shadows (with Darkstalker + HiPS), step through shadows with the Ritual, and regularly heal himself (with Tenebrous, who also happens to generate shadows that she can hide in) + summon monsters to fight (with Zceryll).
I'm hoping for somebody stealthy, hard to kill, and able to deal regular damage to opponents. Basically someone who could win a battle of attrition.

Sadly the Ritual of Shadow-Walking doesn't suit my purposes. The standard action activation is a pain, and the ability damage comes faster than Naberius can heal it.
Ah well. Not every idea can work, I suppose.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-06-04, 05:39 PM
In any case, the Ritual of Shadow-Walking has inspired me to build a Telflammar Shadowlord...

Zaq
2019-06-05, 08:46 AM
You can lessen the stat damage with the strongheart vest soulmeld, which you can pick up with a feat.

Rijan_Sai
2019-06-05, 05:31 PM
You can lessen the stat damage with the strongheart vest soulmeld, which you can pick up with a feat.

I agree! And there is no question it works, unlike some other suggested uses... **coughHellfireWarlockcough**
Also, if you can spare one more feat, you can pick up Bonus Essentia for an extra 2 points, which would allow you to block up to 3 damage/round, enough for Naberius to recover even the hiding in the shadows CON damage. (Keep in mind that some might argue that the "s" in "soulmelds" would require a plurality... I am not one of them, but I also am not your DM...)

Thurbane
2019-06-05, 05:40 PM
Ah, the rituals in Lords of Darkness: the templates you have when you're not having a template (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylH43Tcaj60). :smalltongue: