PDA

View Full Version : Help me build around a background Idea

DevilMcam
2019-06-03, 10:37 AM
Alright so I have another cool (I think it is cool) character idea, and the GM seems to be on board with the concept (but this would be for next campaign which will be in a few months), and I would like some help to flesh out the "build" as we say around here.

So The Idea was A youngish Aasimar that was propelled to the local hero position after a lucky encounter with a vampire.
The divine blood hurt the vampire enough for him to stay quite for a while, so the character is now a hero (that may or may not have any skill related to vampire slaying) and sent in the world to slay the others evils.

My first Idea was a blood hunter from M. Mercer representing the fact that both the divine blood and vampire one are constantly fighting in hsi body and burn at the contact of the air (flavor for crimson rite and possible hellish rebuke if I take that path). could work with most of the BH subclasses.

Undying warlock could also represent some vampiric abilities, as could paladin, or maybe even samurai fighter.

What would you suggest that would be at least semi-optimised, martialish, flavorfull and work with aasimar?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-03, 10:55 AM
Alright so I have another cool (I think it is cool) character idea, and the GM seems to be on board with the concept (but this would be for next campaign which will be in a few months), and I would like some help to flesh out the "build" as we say around here.

So The Idea was A youngish Aasimar that was propelled to the local hero position after a lucky encounter with a vampire.
The divine blood hurt the vampire enough for him to stay quite for a while, so the character is now a hero (that may or may not have any skill related to vampire slaying) and sent in the world to slay the others evils.

My first Idea was a blood hunter from M. Mercer representing the fact that both the divine blood and vampire one are constantly fighting in hsi body and burn at the contact of the air (flavor for crimson rite and possible hellish rebuke if I take that path). could work with most of the BH subclasses.

Undying warlock could also represent some vampiric abilities, as could paladin, or maybe even samurai fighter.

What would you suggest that would be at least semi-optimised, martialish, flavorfull and work with aasimar?

I'm kinda confused.

At the start, you say that you have two separate people, an Aasimar and a Vampire, and I assumed that the character we were helping with was the Aasimar. That is, JUST an Aasimar. However, you mention that "both the divine blood and vampire one are constantly fighting in his body".

So....are we working with an Aasimar/Vampire hybrid? Did the Aasimar get Vampire Blood inside of him? Or something else?

DevilMcam
2019-06-03, 11:06 AM
Yes the character is the Aasimar.
When à vampire bites you and kill you (wich is definitely happening if your are level 1) there is the possibilitie that you turn into à spawn. And this os What happened to the character, but Because of divine blood something went "unusual", and I would like to theme the character features about that évent.

It Doesn't need to be à hybrid per say, but something related to that évent.

Also Because my Last char was à warlock and other player expressed the Will to play one, Let's try to avoid warlock

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-03, 11:20 AM
Yes the character is the Aasimar.
When à vampire bites you and kill you (wich is definitely happening if your are level 1) there is the possibilitie that you turn into à spawn. And this os What happened to the character, but Because of divine blood something went "unusual", and I would like to theme the character features about that évent.

It Doesn't need to be à hybrid per say, but something related to that évent.

Also Because my Last char was à warlock and other player expressed the Will to play one, Let's try to avoid warlock

Ah, gotcha!

A few options I can think of:

Devotion Paladin: His mutated blood is how he enhances his blade with magic. He also is aware of using his own blood as a repellent for the undead, and uses it regularly.

Whispers Bard: He knows how to use the powers of light to open the hearts of others, and the powers of darkness to twist that heart against itself.

Zealot Barbarian: The combination of divine life and undeath inside of him has manifested as raw power. He's naturally resistant to death, and is easy to bring back.

Swords Bard: The Vampire Blood inside of him has given him faster reflexes than most other humanoids. He is naturally talented with the blade, and uses his wit and speed in melee combat.

Swashbuckler Rogue: Similar to the Swords Bard, more emphasis on martial combat and speed than magic.

Conquest Paladin: He can channel the radiant energy with the vile powers of darkness to inspire fear in the forces of evil. They fear the light, as well as those more powerful than them, and now you're both.

Redemption Paladin: The combination of light and darkness inside of you has made you a natural born martyr. You receive the afflictions of others upon yourself, in a cosmic way of your own life force trying to end itself. You also have enhanced powers of manipulation. You use all of this for the greater good.

Life Cleric/Divine Soul Sorcerer: You have enhanced powers over life, and you channel this magic into your friends. You use your natural gifts (Sorcerer Twin Metamagic) to enhance spells that receive pain on behalf of your allies (Warding Bond), which you then mitigate with your natural born toughness (Heavy Armor Master).

DevilMcam
2019-06-03, 11:40 AM
Oh I didn't think about bard and it seems like je cool idea.
I also kinda like your take on the paladin i'll look into this, Maybe It's time for that bardadin idea I once had (take à sorcadins and replace sorc by bard)

Particle_Man
2019-06-03, 01:11 PM
Wild Mage Sorcerer - the two types of blood fighting within the character can lead to wacky effects sometimes?

Background: folk hero?

Corran
2019-06-03, 01:21 PM
Cleric is my first thought. You've got a big enough spell list to accommodate both ''radiant'' (aasimar side) and necrotic spells (vampire side). If your DM allows it, look at death cleric (DMG). It has a channel divinity that boosts vampiric touch, and given half your theme, that would be a good spell to have (and this spell needs all the help it can get, hence why death domain; if you can get away with it, try to fluff it as actually biting enemies). Multiclassing with celestial warlock or devotion paladin might be thematically appropriate, though single class cleric is just as good (and mechanically probably better), as you get divine strike and have access to healing and radiant spells to highlight your celestial heritage.

Another idea is to have shadow sorcerer as one of your classes, as it is very appropriate for a character that died and came back as a semi-undead (from a fluff perspective) creature. If the assimar's racial feature are not cutting it, multiclass to sth like celestial warlock, cleric or paladin (if you want to further highlight a link to the divine).

Wild Mage Sorcerer - the two types of blood fighting within the character can lead to wacky effects sometimes?

Background: folk hero?
That sounds cool too. Especially the background, it is spot on.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-03, 01:27 PM
Cleric is my first thought. You've got a big enough spell list to accommodate both ''radiant'' (aasimar side) and necrotic spells (vampire side). If your DM allows it, look at death cleric (DMG). It has a channel divinity that boosts vampiric touch, and given half your theme, that would be a good spell to have (and this spell needs all the help it can get, hence why death domain). Multiclassing with celestial warlock or devotion paladin might be thematically appropriate, though single class cleric is just as good (and mechanically probably better), as you get divine strike and have access to healing and radiant spells to highlight your celestial heritage.

In particular, Death, Order, or Trickery Clerics would fit well here. They have more of a Martial focus than other Clerics, and their themes could fit well with OP's concept.

Death: Master of Life and Death
Order: Master of manipulating the soul, for better or worse.
Trickery: Caught between two selves, and uses that cosmic bend in reality in combat.

Vogie
2019-06-03, 03:29 PM
I'd do a combination of Zealot Barbarian and one of the following:

Death Cleric - empowered necromantic ranged weapon, and use of Channel Divinity to empower melee weapon. Build would likely be ZB 5/DC 6/ ZB X
Oathbreaker Paladin - Radiant smashing, mixed in with Undead control. Probably going ZB 3/ObP X
2 levels Paladin, 2 levels of Warlock - All spell slots are just used for divine smite, with 2 refreshing on short rest. 2 Invocations, too. Probably Fiend Patron, but Celestial would also work. Probably Pal 2/ War 2 / ZB X
Twilight Druid (UA) - The Harvest Scythe feature allows you to add necrotic damage to spells you cast, (Evil Ice Knife!) and you'd unlock a fair amount of utility with the ritual casting feature. There aren't a ton of non-concentration spells in the druid list, so you'll have plenty of room. ZB 5/TD 6 /ZB

DevilMcam
2019-06-03, 04:53 PM
Folk hero is indeed going to be my background.

I'll check with the DM for the cleric Idea, but I feel like divine soul sorcerer woud be more adapted to get the cleric spells and stay in the theme of power from blood.
But that would definitely not be a fightery type then. UNless I get some paladin levels into the mix, but I would like to stay away from sorcadin if possible because the group is not full of optimisers

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-03, 04:59 PM
Folk hero is indeed going to be my background.

I'll check with the DM for the cleric Idea, but I feel like divine soul sorcerer woud be more adapted to get the cleric spells and stay in the theme of power from blood.
But that would definitely not be a fightery type then. UNless I get some paladin levels into the mix, but I would like to stay away from sorcadin if possible because the group is not full of optimisers

Just take away Divine Smite. There are only 2 real reasons Sorcadin is an issue:

Spell slots to burn for Divine Smite.
Metamagic allowing you multiple high-damage hits per turn

Losing Divine Smite is a big nerf on the Paladin....except the Paladin already has access to Spell Smites (which are a bit worse than Divine Smite). It'd be enough of a tax without really changing the Paladin all too much. Your burst damage would plummet, but your overall contribution would stay mostly the same. You'd no longer be able to combine Quicken with a smite effect (as your spell smites use a Bonus Action), and Twinned Spell wouldn't be able to implement a smite on both attacks (as your Smite spells only apply on the first hit they make).

DevilMcam
2019-06-03, 05:05 PM
the Idea was to focus a bit more on the martial side and a bit less on the big spells side, so if I don't get multiattack I need something that would do as (or almost) muchand still be able to not die to the first thing that happen

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-03, 05:11 PM
the Idea was to focus a bit more on the martial side and a bit less on the big spells side, so if I don't get multiattack I need something that would do as (or almost) muchand still be able to not die to the first thing that happen

Sure. In this case, I'd just go 1 Sorcerer (Divine Soul) and Paladin the rest of the way. You'll still multiattack and be primarily a Paladin. I suppose you could go Shadow Sorcerer instead while being a white-knight Paladin of some sort. Would fit rather well with your whole concept, thinking about it.

DevilMcam
2019-06-04, 03:02 AM
What would you get from Sorc1?
why not paladin all the way?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-04, 09:35 AM
What would you get from Sorc1?
why not paladin all the way?

Sorc 1 will get you cantrips, Shield, Absorb Elements, level 1 spell slots, and a level 1 Sorcerer feature that fits with the concept (in Shadow's case, Darkvision and being resistant to death).