PDA

View Full Version : PSA for those who use D&D Beyond

jaappleton
2019-06-03, 12:48 PM
So in the Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica, they included backgrounds which grant access to thematic spells, as appropriate to the background.

They recently updated the Homebrew Background section to allow you to add Spells to backgrounds.

Now if you want to grant someone access to a spell that they normally don’t have, or if you think all of ______ (insert class here) should have access to a certain spell, you can add it to their list this way.... like how Clerics should have Sunbeam but don’t get it....

Just thought I’d give everyone a heads up on that.

LichPlease
2019-06-03, 01:00 PM
Omg! If i read this right, this made my day!

Edit: Wait, does this apply to the custom background rules in the PHB or is this just for adding a homebrew background on Beyond?

jaappleton
2019-06-03, 01:28 PM
Omg! If i read this right, this made my day!

Edit: Wait, does this apply to the custom background rules in the PHB or is this just for adding a homebrew background on Beyond?

Well.... Why not both?

I know someone that has taken every PHB background, essentially copied it, and added thematically appropriate spells. So Sailors get Call Lightning, Wind Wall, etc.

LichPlease
2019-06-03, 01:40 PM
Well, is this something that can now be applied to AL? I don't play AL particularly but my DMs tend to be somewhat equally strict and understandably wouldn't want something like this to be abused and open up a can of worms.

JackPhoenix
2019-06-03, 01:50 PM
Well, is this something that can now be applied to AL? I don't play AL particularly but my DMs tend to be somewhat equally strict and understandably wouldn't want something like this to be abused and open up a can of worms.

Ravnica isn't allowed in AL, and neither is homebrew.

LichPlease
2019-06-03, 02:31 PM
Ravnica isn't allowed in AL, and neither is homebrew.

I'm aware which is why I am asking whether it is just an additional feature of the D&D Beyond homebrew background maker or if it is something that is being added into the PHB custom background rules through errata or sage advice or something.

jaappleton
2019-06-03, 03:17 PM
I'm aware which is why I am asking whether it is just an additional feature of the D&D Beyond homebrew background maker or if it is something that is being added into the PHB custom background rules through errata or sage advice or something.

Just something D&D Beyond is allowing home brewers to do.

Nothing at all to do with AL. Sorry to disappoint, but it’s atill a nice thing for those who play home games.