PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Question of the day! (2e d&d)

Caxton
2007-10-05, 10:02 PM
I have little hope for an answer but I've been surprised before. You know those Saurials in the Complete Book of Humanoids? Anyone know if there are any rules out there for their "memory sticks" that act as spellbooks? I'm curious to know just how many spells they can fit on those things and just what the specifications for those things are.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-10-05, 10:58 PM
You know, I feel like I've seen that somewhere, can't remember where though. My advice would be to check Forgotten Realms supplements. I'm fairly sure that Saurials were first introduced in FR.

Alternately, if this is intended as a translation from 2e to 3.5 (or if you don't mind converting 3.5 back to 2e), page 187 in Complete Arcane has rules for using tokens in place of more traditional spellbooks.

Caxton
2007-10-05, 11:34 PM
Mmm...Complete Arcane was helpful. By my estimate, a saurial staff is vaguely equivalent to 10 pages. I will look in the forgotten realms stuff though. Thanks.

JadedDM
2007-10-05, 11:51 PM
The Book of Humanoids simply states they function just like spellbooks. The how and why aren't given, but I would just treat them as ordinary spellbooks in terms of how many spells they can hold.