PDA

View Full Version : Item creation pricing (help)

Jahjohama
2019-06-03, 05:28 PM
I am a complete noob to D&D and have been playing in a group that is now level 5 about to hit level 6. I am playing an archer who is rogue 1-5, commando 6-8, swordsage 9, commando 10, and rogue 11-20...I hope that makes sense. Idea is to snipe from hiding, apply sneak attack from up to 60 feet from rogue, commando and assassin stance and be able to hide again.

This is my character outline:
Feats:
Point Blank shot (1)
Precise Shot (1)
Rapidshot (3)
Woodland Archer (6)
Improved Feint - Commando Level 3 (8)
Craven (9)
Darkstalker (12)
Able Sniper (15)
Imp. Precise Shot (15, special ability as feat)
Telling blow (18)

Our DM is pretty relaxed in his approach to our gear and equipment. I have been trying to research and determine magic items and equipment. I won't need to "craft" the items myself, I just need to more or less tell the DM I want to buy or custom order an item from a merchant, but I have no idea if the things I am thinking are even feasible, optimal, or possible. If anyone can help me to understand what the ballpark costs would be or if these items are even possible in the game I would greatly appreciate it.

I am hoping to purchase a composite longbow that has force, collision and keen on it with a quiver of splitting from a merchant. Is this possible? What would a ballpark cost look like? Just trying to get an idea when at what level this type of equipment would generally be available.

Thank you in advance!

Saintheart
2019-06-03, 08:50 PM
It looks like you're playing Pathfinder, which would be handy to specify.

Keen is a +1 bonus, Collision isn't a PFSRD weapon quality but I'll assume you're looking for something that duplicates the Collision quality from the old Magic Item Compendium, which is a +2 bonus, and Force similarly is out of the old MIC and is worth a +2 bonus.

I'm not fully up on Pathfinder, but if it follows the same magic item cost principles as 3.5 did, this is one expensive weapon. In order to put weapon qualities like Keen, Collision, and Force on a weapon, it has to be a +1 weapon first.
Keen adds another +1 to it, Collision adds +2, and Force adds another +2. That gives you a weapon which effectively has a +6 of enhancement bonuses. Per the 3.5 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm), that means the base price of the weapon is 72,000 gp - well above the total wealth you have as a level 5 character.

Quiver of Splitting would be a unique magic item as well, and per this thread of the very subject (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?272436-Item-Pricing-Quiver-of-arrow-splitting) you're looking at a price of at least about 60,000 gp on the low side or above 100,000 gp on the high.

In essence you're not getting this stuff until you're well towards the teens in your character level, assuming your DM runs Wealth By Level to the hilt.

RNightstalker
2019-06-03, 09:16 PM
Ask your DM about the Splitting weapon enchantment from Champions of Ruin, it's a +3 cost.
In the Spell Compendium, there's a spell called Sniper's Shot, p194, that let's you sneak attack from any distance.
Dungeonscape p34 has a weapon modification called a wand chamber, that let's you use a wand while holding the weapon.
If you're under the effect of a Blur or Blink spell, you're attacking from concealment, so you can Sneak Attack every round, at any range.

The Assassination and Deadly Precision weapon enhancements will further increase your SA damage.

If you take a second level in Swordsage, you'll get to add your Wisdom bonus to your AC.

In the Drow of the Underdark, Bracers of Murder give you a +2 to attack and damage when attacking flat-footed opponents, and let's you reroll 1's on sudden strikes and sneak attacks.

If you can do Improved Rapid Shot instead of Improved Precise Shot, that would be worth considering.

Jahjohama
2019-06-04, 11:56 AM
Sorry for not specifying. We are playing DnD 3.5. I am not sure what Pathfinder is? Thank you both for your feedback I appreciate your help.

Saintheart
2019-06-04, 07:33 PM
Sorry for not specifying. We are playing DnD 3.5. I am not sure what Pathfinder is? Thank you both for your feedback I appreciate your help.

Commando doesn't exist as far as I know under 3.5. There's Dread Commando, and there's a horrible homebrew class out of D&D Wiki, but I might have missed something. :smallsmile: