View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Gazer [3.5 Monster/Beholder Relative]

gooddragon1
2019-06-03, 07:05 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Great Dragon
2019-06-04, 06:54 AM
(I'm out of practice for 3x)

Just a couple of things:

I note that the Disintegration save is 1.
I'm figuring about 17.

CR might be around 12.
The Anti-magic suppressing Mist is throwing me off.

gooddragon1
2019-06-05, 02:18 AM
(I'm out of practice for 3x)

Just a couple of things:

I note that the Disintegration save is 1.
I'm figuring about 17.

CR might be around 12.
The Anti-magic suppressing Mist is throwing me off.

The disintegration DC is an easy way of saying that you will likely only be on a willing target.

I have no idea on CR, so I'll go with 12.

Great Dragon
2019-06-05, 05:41 AM
The disintegration DC is an easy way of saying that you will likely only be on a willing target.

I have no idea on CR, so I'll go with 12.

Perhaps giving the DC 17, but only affects objects? So, if the PCs fail, they lose some equipment?

Like:
shields first.
Armor next.
Weapons next.
And anything else last?

Magical Items without bonuses have Advantage at least +1 to saves?

Doing this could drop the CR to 9 or 10.

inuyasha
2019-06-05, 07:00 PM
I like this creature!

It's been a bit since I've done some PEACHing, but between the high armor class, the 8 gaze attacks, and that nasty disintegrate (which is awesome), a CR calculator that I use says that it'd probably be closer to 13 for CR.

I do have two questions though:
1: How many gaze attacks can it use in one turn? A limited number, like a beholder? Or all of them?
2: Why does its bite attack crit on a 15 or higher? If I were one of these I'd be likely to invest in some mage armor or some floating-head-barding and wade into melee to bite everything while staring at things like starving people do in cartoons. :smalltongue:

gooddragon1
2019-06-08, 01:32 AM
The disintegrate DC would have to be 22 (10 + 7 from HD + 5 from ability score modifier). Made it affect only nonsentient objects and materials.

Gaze attacks can actively be used one at a time, but passively all are active.
Since it only had one natural attack I wanted it to be really something. So I decided on a really high crit chance.

noob
2019-06-08, 05:36 AM
It is extremely odd that there is that many effects specifically countered by heal.
Like why would you not allow people to use cure blindness/deafness on the blindness effect?
or if the intent was to force to take high level spell slots say something like "can only be cured by a spell in a slot of level X or more"

gooddragon1
2019-06-09, 07:16 PM
It is extremely odd that there is that many effects specifically countered by heal.
Like why would you not allow people to use cure blindness/deafness on the blindness effect?
or if the intent was to force to take high level spell slots say something like "can only be cured by a spell in a slot of level X or more"

I think you can use cure blindness/deafness on that effect. Did you mean another effect?

It was to make heal potentially more effective if fighting this creature.

noob
2019-06-10, 06:49 AM
I think you can use cure blindness/deafness on that effect. Did you mean another effect?

It was to make heal potentially more effective if fighting this creature.
heal already includes blindness:

Heal enables you to channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away injury and afflictions. It immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the Target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. It also cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level.
so in the old version before your fix it suggested it inflicted a blindness heal-able by heal only.
just like " Sleep: Causes permanent sleep until a Heal spell is cast on the subject. Will negates." suggests nothing else will ever wake up the subject not even wish or miracle.
But you changed the blindness effect to make it easier to cure.