PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Cheapest source of scaling spell resistance?

Zaq
2019-06-04, 01:27 AM
This isn't for an actual build. I'm just curious.

What's the cheapest way to get level-appropriate scaling SR? Let's assume we're using WotC's LAs and no LA buyoff, if that's relevant. PR is fine under transparency, as well.

"Cheapest" here is defined as "has the least possible interference with the rest of your build." So if you're using a template or a race, a lower-ECL one is preferable to a higher-ECL one, but a low-ECL one with a drawback (like, say, karsite's inability to cast spells) might be inferior to one with slightly higher ECL but with fewer drawbacks. I don't have a predefined build here. Sell me on why your option is cheaper than the next option. And of course, if you're using a source of SR that isn't a template or a race, then again, how much does it cost you out of the rest of the build? Do you have to invest a lot of levels? A lot of feats? A lot of something else (like, say, essentia and essentia boosters in the spellward shirt)?

Again, I don't have a predefined right answer in mind. This is a discussion, not a quiz. Ideally I'd like whatever option is presented to be active all day every day.

WotC seemed to value SR, especially scaling SR, really highly. I've got it in my head that it's really hard for a PC to get level-scaled SR. My goal in this discussion is to get a more complete feel for just how hard we're talking about.

Drow and karsite get HD-scaled SR for +2 LA (drow 11 + HD, karsite 10 + HD), which seems to be something of a baseline. Githyanki and githzerai fare a bit worse: 5 + HD for the same +2 LA.

Monk gets 10 + class level SR at level 13+ with no LA, but you have to be, you know, a level 13+ monk, and it only scales with monk levels. Yuck. Hardly gets any worse than that, honestly.

Bariaurs get 11 + HD SR for a mere LA +1, which is about the best I've found. Another reason to like bariaurs, as though they weren't cool enough already.

I know there's more out there. Whatcha got for me?

peacenlove
2019-06-04, 02:03 AM
Spell resistance spell
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm
12+CL, available at 9th level. No build requirements other than being a cleric, getting it via Arcane disciple or having a high UMD and a staff.

Crake
2019-06-04, 02:10 AM
Spell resistance spell
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellResistance.htm
12+CL, available at 9th level. No build requirements other than being a cleric, getting it via Arcane disciple or having a high UMD and a staff.

Ironically incredibly vulnerable to dispelling, since dispel magic is SR:no, also since it's only 1 minute/level, doesn't meet the "active all day every day" requirement.

Rebel7284
2019-06-04, 08:14 AM
Phrenic Creature is one of the better LA+2 templates.

jdizzlean
2019-06-04, 08:37 AM
fiendish and celestial both give HD+5 SR, but at +2 LA
ironically named Half-fiend/celestial give HD+10 but at +4 LA

Gray Hand Enforcer is an odd PrC from the Fearun universe that gets SR 5+char lvl

Spellward Shirt soulmeld give SR 10 +4/essentia invested

there's the Spell Resistance Armor enhancements which don't really scale, but in terms of pure cash for ability aren't horrible

Bariaurs get 11 + HD SR for a mere LA +1, which is about the best I've found. Another reason to like bariaurs, as though they weren't cool enough already.

I'm looking at the Bariaur in BoED, which has it at 3 RHD & LA +2, is there another version that is only +1?

ViperMagnum357
2019-06-04, 09:18 AM
The ten varieties of Draconian from the Dragonlance campaign setting all have scaling SR ranging from 6-12 + HD. They also all have RHD ranging from 2-8 to go with LA +1-4, but all those RHD are Dragon, and most of them have class features as well: two have sorcerer casting, 1 casts as a mystic, 1 has level equivalent abilities of a Paladin, another that of a barbarian, 2 have Sneak Attack and Poison, and one has some shapeshifting. Only the 2 weakest types lack notable traits, and are at least the cheapest in terms of RHD and LA. Depending on your build, and whether Gestalt and/or LA buyoff is a thing, they can be comparable or better to certain class levels with an LA +0 race.

The 3.0 base versions are in the DLCS, but the 3.5 versions and the 5 noble Draconians are in Dragons of Krynn.

Thurbane
2019-06-04, 05:30 PM
I'm looking at the Bariaur in BoED, which has it at 3 RHD & LA +2, is there another version that is only +1?

There's two versions of the Bariaur (from memory, one is designated lesser or greater, to differentiate them, but I'm struggling to find the text now):

BoED p.166; Large Outsider; 3RHD, LA +2
Planar Handbook p.7; Medium Outsider; LA +1

Sidebar on Planar Handbook p.8:

The bariaurs described in this book are the most common form of the race (also described in Manual of the Planes). The larger, more powerful form of bariaurs detailed in Book of Exalted Deeds are generally known as “exalted bariaurs,” due to their closer connection to the powers of the celestial planes.

jdizzlean
2019-06-04, 05:42 PM
There's two versions of the Bariaur (from memory, one is designated lesser or greater, to differentiate them, but I'm struggling to find the text now):

BoED p.166; Large Outsider; 3RHD, LA +2
Planar Handbook p.7; Medium Outsider; LA +1

Sidebar on Planar Handbook p.8:

i'm afb for the rest of the week, so i can probably answer this myself come sunday, but is there a way to "lesser" the one from the PlH to remove the LA entirely like you can w/ aasimar?

Thurbane
2019-06-04, 05:46 PM
i'm afb for the rest of the week, so i can probably answer this myself come sunday, but is there a way to "lesser" the one from the PlH to remove the LA entirely like you can w/ aasimar?

I don't think so - it's a full fledged outsider (it lacks the Native subtype), and not a Planetouched, as far as I can tell.

Still, looking at it for the first time in a while, it's pretty decent as far as LA +1 races go.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-04, 05:53 PM
Interesting that noone mentioned Drow who get 10+lvl and are LA +2? I think they are, I'm afb

Zaq
2019-06-04, 06:22 PM
Interesting that noone mentioned Drow who get 10+lvl and are LA +2? I think they are, I'm afb

In the OP, my friend.

Anthrowhale
2019-06-04, 06:49 PM
Bariaur is pretty good in many ways.

The biggest disadvantage to Bariaur that I can think of is Planar Binding.

Blackhawk748
2019-06-04, 07:22 PM
In the OP, my friend.

Appear to have somehow missed that. Frankly, Drow are a solid choice and its hard to beat them in this field.

Thurbane
2019-06-04, 08:41 PM
There's a few PrCs that give SR (I'm sure this isn't a full list):

Contemplative 7: SR 15 + class levels
Court Herald 12: SR = class level
Eldeen Ranger 5: SR 20
Enlightened Fist 9: SR 10 + clas levels (+ monk levels)
Glorious Servitor 1: SR 12 + class level
Halruaan Magehound 4: SR 15 + class level
Shiba Protector 9: SR 20 + Wis modifier
Silver Key 5: SR 15 + class levels
Witch Hunter 8: SR 20 + class level (against evil spells or creatures only)

Vizzerdrix
2019-06-04, 10:05 PM
Kill that divine doppleganger critter from the book of goody twoshoes. Name begins with an A and it gets you a few other boosts if you can off it.

Rebel7284
2019-06-04, 10:06 PM

LA buyoff is a fairly common optional rule, so you can always ask about it. Also, if you find yourself turning into a construct permanently, whether with a savage species ritual, Renegade Mastermaker, or *shudder* Green Star Adept, you can use Incarnate Construct to decrease your LA by 2. Not sure if you keep your SR though.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-06-04, 10:53 PM
Spawn - Like, White Dragon Spawn cheese oft mentioned with Dragonwrought Kobolds. Has a subsection on Non Elf or Human Spawns, which creates Abominations. There's a table for abilities you can get as an abomination one of which is SR 10 + HD.

Lans
2019-06-05, 02:32 AM
Ironically incredibly vulnerable to dispelling, since dispel magic is SR:no, also since it's only 1 minute/level, doesn't meet the "active all day every day" requirement.

You could persist it if you jump through some hoops, and use CL boosts to protect against dispelling

skunk3
2019-06-05, 03:24 AM
Pixies get 15 + class levels. It's a steep +4 LA but man, Pixies rock.

Thurbane
2019-06-05, 04:16 AM
Forsaker isn't a great PrC, but the SR it grants (10 + class levels) stacks with innate SR, so a Bariaur Forsaker could get some pretty high SR at LA +1.

Psyren
2019-06-05, 02:11 PM
Spellward Shirt gets my vote for cheapest - or at least, "most build-agnostic." Constant duration, costs you nothing, can be added to any build/race/class. "Scales" with level, in that everybody gets essentia and feats.

Downside is it's pretty weak unless you can increase essentia capacity:

Spellward Shirt soulmeld give SR 5 +4/essentia invested

Fixed - that gives you a 21 SR at 20, which is pretty much an auto-overcome for 20th-level casters. With the EEC feat you can bump this to SR 25, but that's not much better. Still, it is the cheapest option.

Troacctid
2019-06-05, 02:22 PM
Appear to have somehow missed that. Frankly, Drow are a solid choice and its hard to beat them in this field.
It's really easy to beat them in this field. Phrenic is the same LA.

Personally, I'm a fan of BoED's +2 LA variant of the half-celestial.

ShurikVch
2019-06-05, 07:15 PM
Pseudonatural Creature from Manual of the Planes have SR=HDx2
3.5 update gave it LA +4
Thus, at 20th level, it's SR 32 (or 34 - with LA buyoff)

Troacctid
2019-06-08, 10:44 AM
Also, skin of the steel dragon is a 5th level spell that grants spell resistance 10 + HD as an immediate action.

Anthrowhale
2019-06-08, 11:12 AM
Another one I ran into is "Foe Hunter" from Masters of the Wild.

Hated Enemy Spell Resistance at Foe Hunter 4 grants 15+Foe Hunter level spell resistance against one favored enemy which is additive. If you Favored Enemy is "Evil" from Stalker of Kharash 2 and you already have a source of scaling spell resistance, this essentially gives immunity to SR:Yes spells from a large swath of enemies (nearly all in some campaigns).

Zaq
2019-06-08, 11:19 AM
Another one I ran into is "Foe Hunter" from Masters of the Wild.

Hated Enemy Spell Resistance at Foe Hunter 4 grants 15+Foe Hunter level spell resistance against one favored enemy which is additive. If you Favored Enemy is "Evil" from Stalker of Kharash 2 and you already have a source of scaling spell resistance, this essentially gives immunity to SR:Yes spells from a large swath of enemies (nearly all in some campaigns).

That's an interesting find! Especially since it nicely sidesteps the problem of making it hard to buff you, assuming that the folks trying to buff you aren't evil.

FE: Arcanists works nearly as well without needing the stalker of Kharash levels, but it does make you harder to buff if your allies are arcane.