PDA

View Full Version : paladin code of conduct????

techpriest35
2019-06-04, 05:35 AM
so i have 2 player playing a paladin 1 player a cleric a rogue a bard and a sorcerer. 1 of the paladins is a player that has never played a good aligned character. i am trying to find the full code of conduct for a paladin in RAW.
the srd only has a few lines that are super general. i remember seeing in one of the books a 4 paragraph out line on the code of conduct, but now i cant seem to remember which book it was in. i checked PHB but all i can find in the PHB is a single line mentioning that they have a code but not what the code is.what i want help with is either the book/page of the full CoC or a post with the CoC. any help would be appreciated

DeTess
2019-06-04, 05:59 AM
The code of conduct is mentioned in the PHB, at the end of the list of class features.

Telonius
2019-06-04, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's on page 44, right before the "Associates" and "Ex-Paladins" sections.

You might also be thinking of Unearthed Arcana's "Honor" section. It's in the SRD under "Variant Campaign Rules," here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/honor.htm#paladinsCode). There are descriptions of a few other codes as well (Bushido, Knight Protector, Omerta, Thieves' Code, and so on). Or possibly the Knight's Code or Paladin Character Themes (p. 52) from PHB2. There's also a brief discussion on the implications of the code in Book of Exalted Deeds, under the "Divided Loyalties" section on page 10.

AnimeTheCat
2019-06-04, 06:58 AM
so i have 2 player playing a paladin 1 player a cleric a rogue a bard and a sorcerer. 1 of the paladins is a player that has never played a good aligned character. i am trying to find the full code of conduct for a paladin in RAW.
the srd only has a few lines that are super general. i remember seeing in one of the books a 4 paragraph out line on the code of conduct, but now i cant seem to remember which book it was in. i checked PHB but all i can find in the PHB is a single line mentioning that they have a code but not what the code is.what i want help with is either the book/page of the full CoC or a post with the CoC. any help would be appreciated

If you haven't already done so, maybe take a look at the various pathfinder codes of conduct. Those are more specific and fleshed out than any code of conduct in 3.X. In 3.X, there aren't any specific codes of conduct where it's spelled out "you will do X. You will do Y. You must never do Z." except for maybe the Knight, but I don't recommend using the Knight's code of conduct.

If you want something flavorful and also rules supportive, take the blurb of the Paladin's code of conduct. Unless the erratta changed it, it should read:

PHB pg 44, "Paladin - Code of Conduct"
"A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents."

PHB pg 44, "Paladin - Associates"
"While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good."
Those are the two relevant points of information. One is easy enough, don't willingly do acts of evil. If you want to make that in to a fleshed out code of conduct to guide the player, take a look at their deity and see how you can write out some specific guidelines for the paladin. For example, I really enjoy playing and running for paladins of Heironeous. He's a fantastic deity for Paladins. Heironeous has 3 tenets; Duty to the People, Duty to the Arch-Paladin, Duty to a Lady. His tenets lend perfectly to creating a structured code of conduct for a typical holy warrior. Remeber, according to RAW the only way a paladin loses all class abilities if he/she willingly commits an act of evil. So, you can create a specific code of conduct and maybe it will look something like this:
- Thou shalt not forsake the troubles of the people.
- Thou shalt not neglect the struggle of the underpriviliged.
- Thou shalt hasten to the aide of those who are in need of it.
- Thou shalt act with valor and justice, but do not forsake your mercy.
- Thou shalt punish evildoers and uphold the law of the land, but thou must remember the mortality of the offender and be merciful should they seek it.
- Thou shalt not raise thy hand to any lady.
- Thou shalt take but one spouse and respect her for thy full years.
- Thou shalt obey the law of the church and, should the church stray from the path of the Arch-Paladin, contest the church in a peaceful and reverent way.
- Thou shalt always seek to embody the purest sense of goodness and campaign against evil where'er it arise.
- Thou shalt keep the faith above all and when all else fails seek to further the continuation of the veneration of the Arch-Paladin and his Church.

So, digging in just a little bit to Heironeous's lore, you can make something pretty flavorful and can be kind of restrictive, if you want. Otherwise, the only RAW code of conduct is don't willingly do evil and be lawful good (see losing class abilities if you willingly do evil and must act with honor, respect the law, help those in need, and combat those who threaten innocents).

About associates, if you have a party that is split evil and good, it can be difficult to run a paladin in there. However, as the DM you can simply handwaive this part OR you can make a driving force in your story where the Paladin is charged by his/her church to try to guide the evil party member to the path of righteousness, or at least less evil. Let the players and their characters interact on this basis. If you start to see the players squabbling outside of the in-game environment, step in and mediate and it may be necessary for you to just waive the rule alltogether or figure out a way to make it work out in-game. The onus will be on you as the DM to make the judgement call as to whether someone needs to change or if you can make it work within the confines of your game.

I hope this helps. Its kind of a lot, but there's a lot of room for creativity within the loose confines of the Paladin's code of conduct.

ezekielraiden
2019-06-04, 09:49 AM
The loose description of what the code forbids is all you get in the PHB. If you want more than that, you'll have to work it out with the player.

One that I have used (for a Bahamut-worshipping Paladin) is:
Justice without mercy is tyranny. Mercy without justice is impotent.
It is a victory to vanquish evil, but a greater victory to convert it.
I will defend the weak and shelter the weary, so they can learn to stand.
My word is a precious thing. I give it only when I know I will not squander it.
A thoughtless word is as dangerous as a thrown sword.
All deserve honor and respect, even my enemies. True strength lies in restraint.
The respect of others must be earned before it will be given to me.
Any who will stand to fight injustice are my allies.
Laws exist to serve the people. An unjust law is no law at all.
There is no dishonor in survival, only in desertion.
I live to serve, protect, and build the future. That which is built endures, and that which is loved endures.
As He is my Shield, I will be His Talon, and strike down those who hide in darkness and secrecy.
I am a Paladin of Bahamut!

Keep in mind that (at least in 4e) this comes from the succinct dogma of Bahamut's church, as follows.

Called the Platinum Dragon, Bahamut is the god of justice, protection, nobility, and honor. Lawful good paladins often revere him, and metallic dragons worship him as the first of their kind. Monarchs are crowned in his name. He commands his followers thus:
✦ Uphold the highest ideals of honor and justice.
✦ Be constantly vigilant against evil and oppose it on all fronts.
✦ Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend just order.