PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Help Making a Naruto-themed Character

Farstriker
2019-06-04, 02:18 PM
Hello everyone!

So a friend of mine is DMing a Naruto-themed one-shot, where we will be starting out as level 3 Genin. I'm trying to brainstorm the best way to create a race and class that would actually make sense for a shinobi to have to fit the setting. Ideally, I'd like to make a build with similar abilities to Kimimaro (the bone dude) toned down a bit.

I've been playing 5e for 2-3 years now, so something outside the ordinary is a refreshing change of pace. Any suggestions or builds that come to mind?

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-04, 02:35 PM
Barbarian seems to be a really solid example of someone who temporarily gains a lot of melee combat prowess.

You could have it be a mockup of the Storm Herald, or be the Battlerager and hurt people with your body. The Zealot is also a possible example, as you're resistant to death.

You could also do a Warlock/Barbarian hybrid, focusing on Armor of Agathys with Barbarian Rage. That way, melee damage against you is retaliated against your enemies, like a thorns effect.

You could reflavor the Aasimar damage aura as you forming your bones to deal damage.

Farstriker
2019-06-04, 04:41 PM
Barbarian seems to be a really solid example of someone who temporarily gains a lot of melee combat prowess.

You could have it be a mockup of the Storm Herald, or be the Battlerager and hurt people with your body. The Zealot is also a possible example, as you're resistant to death.

You could also do a Warlock/Barbarian hybrid, focusing on Armor of Agathys with Barbarian Rage. That way, melee damage against you is retaliated against your enemies, like a thorns effect.

You could reflavor the Aasimar damage aura as you forming your bones to deal damage.

These are all great ideas!

The DM generally dislikes multiclassing, especially at lower levels, so I'll probably steer clear of that considering he let me have a kekkei genkai starting out.

I'll never played a barbarian before, but the battlerager seems to fit the flavor really well. Aasimar even makes sense as part of the Kaguya clan, I'll talk to the DM about changing the damage to magical piercing or something similar.

GlenSmash!
2019-06-04, 05:02 PM
These are all great ideas!

The DM generally dislikes multiclassing, especially at lower levels, so I'll probably steer clear of that considering he let me have a kekkei genkai starting out.

I'll never played a barbarian before, but the battlerager seems to fit the flavor really well. Aasimar even makes sense as part of the Kaguya clan, I'll talk to the DM about changing the damage to magical piercing or something similar.

A Naruto themed game without multiclassing is going to be challenging.

Man_Over_Game
2019-06-04, 05:05 PM
A Naruto themed game without multiclassing is going to be challenging.

Agreed on that.

Naruto doesn't really have much that wears armor, uses weapons, buffs allies, or uses shields. Take those out, remove multiclassing, and what are you left with in 5e?

Farstriker
2019-06-04, 05:07 PM
A fair point. Then let's work with the assumption that I can, and I'll do my best to convince the DM to allow it using those arguments.

Inmate XIII
2019-06-04, 07:06 PM
I mean, Way of the Shadow monk is basically a textbook fantasy ninja.

Sigreid
2019-06-04, 07:17 PM
I think warlock matches best. Especially if your DM will let you use hex warrior with your fists.