PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights I

Xefas
2007-10-06, 12:22 AM
I recently installed my old Neverwinter Nights (and the two expansions) after years of disuse. Mostly because I'm sad that my graphics card is insufficient to play NWN2, but it turns out to still be a pretty good game, at least in my opinion, and the online playerbase still seems to be there in some form, albeit not at the strength of numbers it was the last time I played.

So, I just wanted to ask if anyone around here still played, and if anyone knew of some good Persistent World or Versus-type things (I remember there being lots of team capture the flag games) that still existed online.

Dihan
2007-10-06, 02:15 AM
I play on Antiworld, it's a Capture the Flag PvP server.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-06, 04:54 AM
Layonara is a good on line server. It's a cheap WW but you have to roleplay. The bad thing is that you have to download a **** load of patches and stuf for it but it's uber fun.

Ganon11
2007-10-06, 09:54 AM
Back when I played several years ago, I was on Neversummer. Good game, but I was terrible - mostly because I had no idea how to powergame (and, for that matter, still don't).

Pyro
2007-10-06, 10:17 AM
I have Neverwinter Nights, but I didn't like it. I think my problem was that they restricted you to a certain 5 areas throughout each chapter. I'm started playing computer RPG's with Baldur's Gate, which offers much more freedom. Also while it was nice to have a 3D engine, the maps seemed rather uninspired and bland. It made me feel like I was in a MMORPG. Because of this the gameplay felt bland too. I always seemed to be going through houses bustin' in doors and killing everyone on the other side.

Sorry for not answering the OP with that, but I felt I had to say something as to why I don't play it.

Dihan
2007-10-06, 10:45 AM
You obviously didn't play online then.

Darth Mario
2007-10-06, 10:58 AM
I played almost exclusively on Antiworld, it was great.

Driderman
2007-10-06, 11:33 AM
Played on Forgotten Realms Cormyr, which should still be around, about a year ago.
Dedicated roleplaying server with dedicated DMs and a mature player base. Easily the best server I have ever played on.
Another good point of it is that you don't have to download any patches to play on it, only the CEP (Community Expansion Pack). At least, that was the case last I was there.
It ought to be around still.
Rules and enforcement is somewhat strict, to discourage powergaming, metagaming and such. It's very heavily roleplay oriented.

So if you're into heavy roleplaying you might want to check it out.

Xefas
2007-10-06, 02:18 PM
Thank you for the replies, and I shall make a point to go and investigate all your suggestions.

Although, I can't believe Antiworld is still there! It must have been up for a really long time then. I used to have a lvl 40 monk/shadowdancer/druid, who'd shapeshift into a dragon, turn invisible, and then run the flag back and forth like the dickens. I should go check that back out. Dunno what class this time...

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-10-07, 10:47 PM
If I can speak frankly, I've never joined a PW or participated in any form of multiplayer. I find the single-player campaigns to be more than entertaining enough (I'm currently on my third playthrough of SoU, which I will follow up with HotU naturally).

Justwar.
2007-10-08, 06:15 PM
Personally I like a little place called The Guardians of Galeport. Even if there are not a bunch of players on when you log on there are a ton of things to do.

http://s13.invisionfree.com/GuardiansofGaleport/index.php

Xefas
2007-10-10, 12:56 AM
Well, so far, I've looked into each suggested module, and started a character there, except for one which had the largest amount of required hakpaks to use. I plan to play each for a little while until I can decide which ones my favourite.

But, anyway, I've had a ball in Antiworld so far. There are lots of new rules and things, I've noticed, but it's probably for the best. So far I've tried out several builds, all of which were horribly murdered continuously to the point where I felt a wizard was in order. Total turn around...

But my computer keeps getting these "windows has encountered an error and must close this program" in mid-play. v_v ah well.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-10-20, 04:22 PM
I can't get my online to work, but I build modules. I'm pretty good, and I found a program to write scripts for me so I can do pretty much anything.

Mercutio
2007-10-23, 11:10 AM
Any of you ever play on the Dedzone

Xerah
2007-10-24, 03:52 PM
If you like RP worlds, I'd suggest giving Thain (www.thain.org) a try. I'm still there after 3.5 years.

Vilehelm
2007-11-09, 06:53 AM
I used to play on Narfell. High quality RP, great community and dedicated DMs. It's Forgotten Realms, which makes for transparent fluff and has been around since Summer 2003. Highly recommended.

Only reason I quit playing is because I quit -all- online playing. It's just too time consuming unless you're single/student.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-11-11, 03:59 PM
I can't get online to work. Is there a troubleshooter anywhere?

Neftren
2007-11-12, 08:35 AM
Minor Apology for Gravedigging.
Right, to the above poster:

1. You have to keep spamming the Create Account option until it actually verifies the name as valid. I had to go through 6 of my usernames before getting it to work.

2. Make sure you have all the patches and downloads to play online. Get the 1.68 patches and definitely get the Community Expansion Pack v2. Most modules now run on those.

3. You'll definitely want an internet connection that is faster than Dial-Up.

Anyway, I just started playing online... been looking for a good server. Maybe we should start a GitP group on one... I joined Legends of Chance (http://www.legendsofchance.net/) and it seems decent... fast leveling and such, but I wish I could import my character from singleplayer into online playing... :smallmad: