PDA

View Full Version : Arkentools (5e)

HamsterKun
2019-06-04, 02:46 PM
I need help making the Arkentools from Erfworld for my 5e campaign. The four known Arkentools are:

Arkenhammer
Arkenpliers
Arkendish
Arkenshoes

I’ve always wanted to make an Artifact-level magic item, because you can just go bananas with what they can do :wink:

Silva Stormrage
2019-06-05, 04:43 PM
I mean I like Erfworld but the arkentools really don't translate to 5E well. Do you want to have items that function similarly because a lot of them (Read every one but the Arkenshoes) would break a 5e setting.

Various abilities they would have in a 5E setting

Arkenpliers: Infinite perfect animate dead that causes the undead to be nigh perfectly loyal to the wielder.

Arkendish: Infinite communications, ability to magically create powerful monsters (Archons) who are incredibly loyal. Ability to read minds/emotions, ability to greatly enhance spellcasting, and probably anything else thinkamancy can do in Erfworld (Kill someone with a touch, fry creature's brains, essentially anything that a powerful telepathic psion could do).

Arkenhammer: Super powerful weapon that allows you to automatically command dragons you hit with it. Shoots super damaging lightning that can one shot high level fighters. Probably various other abilities that we don't know about because Stanely is an idiot in the comic.

Arkenshoes: We don't know much about this one but probably massive move speed boost and ability to teleport "Home". It might allow you to move on an enemies turn as a reaction or something. Probably has other powers we don't know about as well.

These aren't really items that should be statted out in a 5e game. Even in 3.5 most of these would be hilariously broken for non epic games.

Chronos
2019-06-05, 05:01 PM
One catch is that they're only OP in the hands of someone attuned to them, and we don't know how someone can become attuned. We know what the Pliers do in the hands of someone not attuned: They're a super effective weapon against undead, and that's it. That's still pretty nice, of course (they are an Artifact, after all), but it's not campaign-smashingly overpowered like decrypting is.

HamsterKun
2019-06-05, 06:21 PM
One catch is that they're only OP in the hands of someone attuned to them, and we don't know how someone can become attuned. We know what the Pliers do in the hands of someone not attuned: They're a super effective weapon against undead, and that's it. That's still pretty nice, of course (they are an Artifact, after all), but it's not campaign-smashingly overpowered like decrypting is.

He’s right. I personally believe that the Arkentools are quasi-sentient; they choose who they will and won’t attune to. They’d probably require a DC 25 ability check AT LEAST.