PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Int-Based Sorcerer?

Alistaroc
2019-06-04, 06:49 PM
Before you say play a wizard, I specifically want to play a Tomeseal Sorcerer from City of 7 Seraphs.

It replaces bloodline arcana, so Wildblooded(Sage) is out.

I'm aware of Lost Tradition, but was wondering if there was any other way to switch casting mod to Int for a Sorcerer. I want to take advantage of the Knowledge skills Tomeseals get.

3rd party is okay, personally Paizo > DSP/Drop Dead/Lost Spheres > Other 3rd Party, but I'll take a look at all but homebrew pretty much:smalltongue:.

Thank you Playground!

Rynjin
2019-06-04, 10:13 PM
I mean if you already have a Bloodline and Archetype locked in you're pretty much screwed.

You can always just give yourself a decent Int mod though.

Stoic
2019-06-05, 12:13 AM
How about the Spell Finesse Feat?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/general-feats/spell-finesse/

I didn't see anything else looking through the "Getting X to Y" Guide (Pathfinder Version).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o91Z-s0R7Vf2Ujj1lFqGC5W--9JOyU0I6uC9XRIR5to/edit?pli=1

Mordaedil
2019-06-05, 01:12 AM
Beguilers are intelligence based spontaneous casters, but I'm not sure if that helps.

Kurald Galain
2019-06-05, 02:24 AM
Well since it's about knowledge skills, you could take a dip in Oracle (Lore mystery) to key all knowledge skillls off charisma instead.

Serafina
2019-06-05, 02:33 AM
If you can't find a first-party/already allowed third-party option for what you want to play, the first step should be to ask the GM nicely.

A good second step is to present the GM with third-party option they haven't allowed yet, or one that just requires slight houseruling.

The third step is to explain why the thing you want to do fits into the campaign, and how it won't unbalance things.

In this case, you can't find a 1st-party/allowed 3rd-party option. So you should approach your GM and tell them you're looking to play an Int-based Tomeseal Sorcerer, but unfortunately the rules don't quite cooperate. Who knows maybe the say "hey why not just do it" right away".
If they don't, you can point to that Spell Finesse (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/general-feats/spell-finesse/) feat by Rogue Genius Games and ask if you can please use that, and just that you don't want any other part of that 3rd-party publisher content. Or you could point to Cross-Blooded Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo-sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded), and ask if maybe you can combine the two archetypes even though RAW it doesn't quite work (at worst, the archetype would cost you a lot of spell slots for that Int-casting, while not doing anythign else).

And third - well that's up to you.

AllanniaNevini
2019-06-05, 10:53 AM
Personally, a wizard is the best option for that. Why do you want to do a int based sorcerer? I would talk to your DM. It could have something to do with your backstory. It's because sorcerers have naturally born magic and the kind of spells they use that they use wis or cha. Wizards use int because they have to study to learn their magic.

Alistaroc
2019-06-05, 04:41 PM
Before you say play a wizard, I specifically want to play a Tomeseal Sorcerer from City of 7 Seraphs.
Beguilers are intelligence based spontaneous casters, but I'm not sure if that helps. It doesn't, but I appreciate your input <3

Personally, a wizard is the best option for that. Why do you want to do a int based sorcerer? I would talk to your DM. It could have something to do with your backstory. It's because sorcerers have naturally born magic and the kind of spells they use that they use wis or cha. Wizards use int because they have to study to learn their magic.:smalltongue:

How about the Spell Finesse Feat?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/general-feats/spell-finesse/

I didn't see anything else looking through the "Getting X to Y" Guide (Pathfinder Version).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o91Z-s0R7Vf2Ujj1lFqGC5W--9JOyU0I6uC9XRIR5to/edit?pli=1 This is pretty much what I was looking for, thanks! The X to Y guide always gets recommended but I often find it's either missing information or doesn't address any 3rd party stuff.

If you can't find a first-party/already allowed third-party option for what you want to play, the first step should be to ask the GM nicely.

A good second step is to present the GM with third-party option they haven't allowed yet, or one that just requires slight houseruling.

The third step is to explain why the thing you want to do fits into the campaign, and how it won't unbalance things.

In this case, you can't find a 1st-party/allowed 3rd-party option. So you should approach your GM and tell them you're looking to play an Int-based Tomeseal Sorcerer, but unfortunately the rules don't quite cooperate. Who knows maybe the say "hey why not just do it" right away".
If they don't, you can point to that Spell Finesse (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/general-feats/spell-finesse/) feat by Rogue Genius Games and ask if you can please use that, and just that you don't want any other part of that 3rd-party publisher content. Or you could point to Cross-Blooded Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo-sorcerer-archetypes/crossblooded), and ask if maybe you can combine the two archetypes even though RAW it doesn't quite work (at worst, the archetype would cost you a lot of spell slots for that Int-casting, while not doing anythign else).

And third - well that's up to you.I think you might be right about the houseruling, it doesn't seem like a big deal to change it to Int, and y'all have provided me with some good references, thank you. <3

Well since it's about knowledge skills, you could take a dip in Oracle (Lore mystery) to key all knowledge skillls off charisma instead.I think this might be the route I go if I don't get the houseruling, turns out there's some class abilities that would have to change as well, meaning just Spell Finesse/Lost Tradition wouldn't cut it.

Kurald Galain
2019-06-05, 05:20 PM
FWIW one level of Oracle can also get you +cha to armor class, as well as the excellent Misfortune ability (dual-cursed archetype).

Alistaroc
2019-06-05, 05:56 PM
FWIW one level of Oracle can also get you +cha to armor class, as well as the excellent Misfortune ability (dual-cursed archetype). I am a fan, but that would require a 3-level dip in Oracle, so maybe at higher levels. :smalltongue:

StSword
2019-06-05, 07:40 PM
Lost Spheres actually produced a race book, Bloodborn, that allows one to switch the key attribute of any one spellcasting or class with supernatural or spell like abilities to an attribute of choice.

The class does however require multiclassing, either regular or the variant multiclassing.

The fluff is that they are artificially created people tied to runes made from the blood samples of two different people, so say a Bloodborn monk/sorcerer might have the Wisdom rune to make their sorcery wisdom based, or the charisma rune to make their monk abilities charisma based.

Or a barbarian/wizard might have the strength rune to make themselves a muscle wizard or a cleric/rogue could make their spellcasting dexterity based, etc, etc.

You seem happy with the feat, but wanted to point out the other option I'm aware of.

FaerieGodfather
2019-06-05, 08:11 PM
I clicked on this thread to suggest Spell Finesse.

Alistaroc
2019-06-05, 08:57 PM
Lost Spheres actually produced a race book, Bloodborn, that allows one to switch the key attribute of any one spellcasting or class with supernatural or spell like abilities to an attribute of choice.

The class does however require multiclassing, either regular or the variant multiclassing.

The fluff is that they are artificially created people tied to runes made from the blood samples of two different people, so say a Bloodborn monk/sorcerer might have the Wisdom rune to make their sorcery wisdom based, or the charisma rune to make their monk abilities charisma based.

Or a barbarian/wizard might have the strength rune to make themselves a muscle wizard or a cleric/rogue could make their spellcasting dexterity based, etc, etc.

You seem happy with the feat, but wanted to point out the other option I'm aware of.
Oh like the 3.5 Illumians, neat!

I clicked on this thread to suggest Spell Finesse.
I appreciate the click <3

StSword
2019-06-05, 10:26 PM
Oh like the 3.5 Illumians, neat!

Yes, the Bloodborn are very much the pathfinder answer to the Illumians.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't get included in City of 7 Seraphs, the Bloodborn would love them some Everlasting Dawn, and vice versa.

The fact that they were also published by the same folks who did Seven Seraphs is part of why I remembered them, actually.

Kurald Galain
2019-06-06, 09:34 AM
I am a fan, but that would require a 3-level dip in Oracle, so maybe at higher levels. :smalltongue:

Just one level, and the Extra Revelation feat.

Alistaroc
2019-06-06, 05:09 PM
Just one level, and the Extra Revelation feat.
0.0 Looks like I'm spending a feat on that then! Thank you!