PDA

View Full Version : What to level up first?

Degwerks
2019-06-05, 11:07 AM
I've made a 5th level Blood Hunter profane soul / 3rd level Gloom Stalker Revised Ranger for a spelljammer themed campaign. I'm longbow archery focused with Sharpshooter. My question for the forums is which side to level up after I get my next 4th level into ranger? Go for the control & bonus action attack at 7th blood Hunter or grab that 5th level in ranger for 2nd level spells?

My plan is for 8 total blood hunter, 12 ranger or 8 ranger and maybe cleric/druid levels after 8 ranger.

We have a cantrip version of Greenflame Blade that works with ranged attacks up to 60 ft away. This was one of my cantrip choices.

Degwerks
2019-06-07, 08:36 AM
Anyone have any advice on this build at all?

darknite
2019-06-07, 08:37 AM
I'm not familiar with the Blood Hunter.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-07, 03:10 PM
Extra Attack and Dread Ambusher only work when you take the attack action. Mystic Frenzy requires you to use your action to cast a cantrip. Sadly, your bread 'n butter abilities from your 2 classes are incompatible..

Degwerks
2019-06-07, 03:33 PM
Extra Attack and Dread Ambusher only work when you take the attack action. Mystic Frenzy requires you to use your action to cast a cantrip. Sadly, your bread 'n butter abilities from your 2 classes are incompatible..

The first round of combat i plan on taking the attack action to get my 3 attacks, hopefully with advantage, and if so, using Sharpshooter. When I cast a cantrip on following rounds, which will be our "60ft ranged weapon" version of Greenflame Blade, that spell gives me a ranged attack, I can then get a bonus action attack from Mystic Frenzy... Effectively getting my same number of attacks as the Extra Attack feature. So I'm not seeing where my bread and butter abilities are incompatible here.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-06-07, 03:49 PM
The first round of combat i plan on taking the attack action to get my 3 attacks, hopefully with advantage, and if so, using Sharpshooter. When I cast a cantrip on following rounds, which will be our "60ft ranged weapon" version of Greenflame Blade, that spell gives me a ranged attack, I can then get a bonus action attack from Mystic Frenzy... Effectively getting my same number of attacks as the Extra Attack feature. So I'm not seeing where my bread and butter abilities are incompatible here.

With that, I'd say go for level 7 BH. By then your cantrips will be cast at 11th level, just in time for Mystic Frenzy.

Degwerks
2019-06-07, 07:49 PM
With that, I'd say go for level 7 BH. By then your cantrips will be cast at 11th level, just in time for Mystic Frenzy.

I really forgot the fact my cantrip damage will have increased by the time I got to 11th level, so yeah I'll go with exactly what you suggested. Thanks.