PDA

View Full Version : Use Planar Binding with mechanical trap inside

Conradine
2019-06-05, 04:29 PM
Here's the idea: internally, a trap activated by weight ( pressure ) resembling a cage-armor, which close itself and tighten on the binded outsider, forbidding those movements it needs to use his spell-like abilities. Thick steel bars plated with silver and cold iron just to be sure. A couple of Ghost Touch spiked chains to prevent ethereal or incorporeal escape.

Outside, and around the trap, the standard Magical Circle and Diagram.

Wheels and levers linked to chains and mechanism that goes under the floor ( so they don't disturbe the Circle ) to tighten the chain's grip or move blades and similar implements.

May it works?

Psyren
2019-06-05, 04:49 PM
Most visuals of calling diagrams we have artwork for have a bunch of stuff on the inside of the circle too. So putting anything mechanical inside the circle risks disturbing it.

Jack_Simth
2019-06-05, 05:01 PM
Also: spell like abilities have no somatic components by default. Exceptions exist (the Warlock, for example) but a Succubus in an Iron Maiden can still Teleport.

Segev
2019-06-05, 05:11 PM
Also: spell like abilities have no somatic components by default. Exceptions exist (the Warlock, for example) but a Succubus in an Iron Maiden can still Teleport.

This, more than the arbitrary "can't put mechanical trap inside" ruling, is where I think you'll run into problems.

There's also the fact that the spell does call out the specifics of the specially prepared trap. So you could add something to it that you incorporate, but you can't simply forego the magic circle against the creature's alignment.

Zanos
2019-06-05, 06:13 PM
Why bother? A circle reinforced with a diagram and a dimensional anchor cast on pretty much puts the outsider at your mercy anyway.

Conradine
2019-06-06, 04:13 AM

A jaw blocker like those of spanish inquisition and telepatic communications?

Another thing: how about adding a steel cage outside the circle ( only for fiends who can't teleport ), just to be sure?

Why bother? A circle reinforced with a diagram and a dimensional anchor cast on pretty much puts the outsider at your mercy anyway.

To avoid become cheeseburgers if I roll a 1 during negotiations and the outsiders gets free.

Jack_Simth
2019-06-06, 05:54 AM
A jaw blocker like those of spanish inquisition and telepatic communications?

No verbal components by default either. It doesn't matter if the Succubus has a full mouth.

RoboEmperor
2019-06-06, 06:01 AM
To avoid become cheeseburgers if I roll a 1 during negotiations and the outsiders gets free.

Get access to Surge of Fortune. Either play a cleric with the demonic domain, or a wizard with levels in Wyrm Wizard or Recaster to add Surge of Fortune to the wizard spell list.

Barring that get rerolls. Luckblade item or the Alter Fortune spell.

Jack_Simth
2019-06-06, 07:01 AM
Get access to Surge of Fortune. Either play a cleric with the demonic domain, or a wizard with levels in Wyrm Wizard or Recaster to add Surge of Fortune to the wizard spell list.

Barring that get rerolls. Luckblade item or the Alter Fortune spell.

Minions and Contingencies also help. Celerity is a great all-purpose contingency (or just cast it normally to go with a Foresight spell; it's an immediate action), as is Resilient Sphere.

Psyren
2019-06-06, 09:30 AM

Don't bind anything you and your party can't beat in a fight. Seems like a pretty decent rule of thumb to me.

Kaleph
2019-06-06, 10:33 AM
You are really making it very complicated. The mantle of second chances is a very nice object in general, and I guess it becomes mandatory if you want to use planar binding. Eagle's splendor + some minor generic buffs (by yourself and your allies) + reroll already make your check relatively reliable.

Also, it's not clear in which scenario you are moving - are you a player, and you want to optimize your chances to control an outsider? Is it a mere optimization exercise? Or you just want a piece of nice visual imagery that you can re-use in one of your campaigns, novels, whatever?

Just saying, if it's an optimization exercise, it would be kinda an idle attempt, since there are so many known ways already to inerrably succeed in the check. And yours seems not very efficient, since it involves a very high expenditure of time, resources, magical items to succeed - and it's also not very effective (how do you block ist spell-like abilities? what do you do with a caged outsider which you cannot control anyhow?).

If you have a DM, a lot of stuff you're planning go into his territory, and therefore the results of your plan become unpredictable. The spell is worded in such a way, that acting outside the standard process (magic circle, diagram, dimensional anchor, charisma check) may be risky. I mean, the PHB says that "the creature is immediately released if anything disturbs the diagram—even a straw laid across it". What is the purpose of this sentence? To discourage the players to interact with the trapped creature. If you injure a fiend and a drop of his blood falls on the floor, is the diagram broken? As a player confronting a DM, do you really want to find it out?

Conradine
2019-06-06, 02:46 PM
If not inside, I would still like a steel cage placed outside the circle. Just to be sure.

Kaleph
2019-06-06, 03:17 PM
If not inside, I would still like a steel cage placed outside the circle. Just to be sure.

Yes, but as you said, it will work only on outsiders without teleport SLA or the like. In any case, it's admittedly a lot of nice creatures. I recommend not to physically interact with the creature, since it's risky and may eventually force the DM to take arbitrary decisions (which I don't like, as a DM).