PDA

View Full Version : Spellbook trap ideas..

Shadow_hands
2019-06-05, 06:33 PM
as the title states. i am looking for some spell book trap ideas. this spell book is only going to have one spell in it (works withs the homebrew campaign i'm running my players through). the owner of this spell book is a 17th level dwarven wizard if that helps at all :D

thanks for your help

MisterKaws
2019-06-05, 07:40 PM
A Greater Glyph Seal is dumb cheap, so realistically, a 17th-level Wizard would've warded their grimoire with every single harmful spell they know from 1st to 5th level.

Potentially multiple copies of each.

Melcar
2019-06-06, 05:11 AM
I run the following wards on my Master spellbook.

Augmentations (Passive)
Resistance to energy (Major)
Levitating
Waterproof
Sign of Sealing, Greater (Maximized)
Hidden Ward
Magically Treated
Luminescence
Encrypted x 3

Wards (Active)
Dragoneye Rune
Glyph of Warding, Greater (Spell)
Secret Page x 100
Sepia Snake Sigil x 1
Sign of Sealing, Greater (Maximized)
Symbol of Spell Loss
Watchware

Spelltrap Active)
Fireburst, Greater (Maximized) [Sonic]

Elvensilver
2019-06-06, 08:32 AM
The D&D webcomic Handbook of Heroes recently had a page concerning that problem. While the actual comic didn't have any suggestions, below are a lot of comments where people tell how their wizards of varying paranoia protect their spellbooks.
http://http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/alarming (http://www.handbookofheroes.com/archives/comic/alarming)

Telonius
2019-06-06, 09:40 AM
Contingent Geas, triggers on reading the first page. "You must fill this book with magical writings, detailing the spells that you know, and deliver it to (mage). If you do not know any spells, you must ask (mage) for a quest and take levels in Wizard until you can fill it."

Maat Mons
2019-06-06, 02:16 PM
My preferred solution is the Eidetic Wizard ACF. You can still carry around a heavily-trapped book. It's just that you're trolling would-be thieves instead of protecting anything important.

Malphegor
2019-06-07, 04:53 AM
I like chucking down Sepia Snake Sigil in there. Nothing like stasis to stop other spellslingers reading your book of magics.

Oh, also getting the bindings metal-plated (so it's heavier and cumbersome), with a lock (maybe consider a magical lock that detects a pattern- fingerprints are a unique sigil, right?), that is enchanted with secret page so that it appears to be a child's diary unless you touch a specific part of it.

Also, Permamencied Animate Object your spellbook. it should still work as your spellbook, but now it can bite other people and depending on how you describe it (is a book sufficiently sheetlike to count as a sheet? like, if it's open, and flapping really hard) it may be able to fly away from thieves back to you.

SirNibbles
2019-06-07, 07:15 AM
-Soak it in contact poison
-Have the pages be really sharp (papercuts)
-bag of holding trap

Elkad
2019-06-07, 09:28 AM
Can we make it heavier as a trap? Massively heavier.

PF has Lighten Object, but do we have the reverse of that anywhere? Taking your tome from 3lbs to 300lbs is useful. If you can stack the effect and measure it's weight in tons, even better. Just don't get carried away and pancake your Mage Tower when your book on the 19th floor suddenly weighs more than the tower itself.

MisterKaws
2019-06-08, 07:19 AM
Can we make it heavier as a trap? Massively heavier.

PF has Lighten Object, but do we have the reverse of that anywhere? Taking your tome from 3lbs to 300lbs is useful. If you can stack the effect and measure it's weight in tons, even better. Just don't get carried away and pancake your Mage Tower when your book on the 19th floor suddenly weighs more than the tower itself.

You can enchant your spellbook as an Immovable Rod. I believe it'd be 1.5x the price for being a different item type, so 7500 gold?