PDA

View Full Version : The Hills of Morokha (IC)

Zincorium
2007-10-06, 04:06 AM
Spring comes slowly to the mountains at the southern border of Morkokha, and snow covers the peaks nearly year round. Business as usual has begun again over the last few months, caravans bringing supplies, the local guard unit drilling in the square, and as always sentries posted on the towers that flank the gate.

You all number among the wanderers and odd natives of throathold, independent and unique in stark contrast to the by-the-numbers guards. However, you are also employees of the crown, albiet in a more mercenary and temporary fashion. No one expects you to stand duty, and some wouldn't trust you to.

With the winter gales keeping everyone indoors, there has been little chance to earn coin, and even less to seek out adventure and fame among the ravines and caverns of the southern badlands that lie just past the gate. Instead, you've whiled away time with games or hobbies, collecting often in the main hall of the guardhouse for warmth and a familiar face.

(Somewhat new to PbP dming, so I'm gonna give you all the option of having previously been around or be newcomers, for the latter not all of the above will apply. Just wanted to avoid starting in a tavern with some old man walking up to you, y'know?)

BooNL
2007-10-06, 07:46 AM
Breathing in the fresh spring air, Tan welcomes the light breeze blowing in his face. The air carries the smell of fresh fruit coming from the merchant's wagons.

A fine day this is, Tan thinks. He's spent the past weeks tending to the sick and wounded. Never in his life has Tan seen so many cases of frostbite, he was glad his father thaught him an efficient cure for this.

As Tan is reflecting his travels a loud bark breaks his concentration.

Easy there girl, I guess you're hungry right?. A large black dog looks up at him expectantly. Allara has been traveling with him ever since he found her beaten and starved near a small village nearly a year ago.

Alright, let's see if we can find something for you.

Tan walks over towards the merchants to see if they have some meat for sale.

LightWraith
2007-10-06, 01:24 PM
Daveak stands in the training yard of the guard house. He spends a lot of time here, honing the skills to keep himself alive in the wilderness. He alternates between taking practice shots with his bow and taking swings with his sword. He'll spar with a guard if any are so willing.

A bit cold out here isn't it.. the guide business is rough when people don't want to go outside..

He doesn't seem to really be talking to anyone, just sort of thinking out loud.

NoDot
2007-10-06, 04:16 PM
Eg del Wonk

Eg walks out onto the guard house's training yard.

It's good to get out of that stuffy room, even if it is cold out. At least the university had the kindness to give me a large room for my own. These fools don't realize how valuable space-

Eg, lost in thought, almost bumps into Daveak. With his hand hovering over his rapier's hilt, portlier Eg narrows his eyes and asks the taller man, "Who are you?", using Infernal, as that language allows a person to ask such a simple question in one word.

LightWraith
2007-10-06, 04:40 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak lowers his sword as the other man enters the training yard, eyes darting quickly to the man's hand near his blade, one eyebrow raises at the strange sound the other man makes.
Ah, hail good sir... I'm afraid I don't understand whatever language that is. I only speak Common myself.

Daveak bows:

I am called Daveak Pegason. I work as a guide for those in Throathold that need to go out into the wilderness. I don't think I've seen you around before. What brings you to the Keep?

NoDot
2007-10-06, 06:47 PM
Eg del Wonk

Still in Infernal, "You are a fool among fools!" Then in Common, "You give your information freely, Pegason. Those with the Wisdom, Intelligence, and malicious intent could rip you apart with such information. Guard your words with more care. Have you not heard of those whose words alone reshape the world around them. 'Truenamers,' I believe they call themselves." (Are they in this campaign? If not, strike those last two sentences.) "One wrong word, and your life could be lost!"

As he speak, Eg gestures randomly with one of his hands and starts circling around Daveak, stopping half-way around. Using the other hand, he draws his rapier, although he doesn't bring it up to attack.

"That said, I am Eg del Wonk. They called me here to help catalog some artifacts they found. I was out getting some fresh air and stretch my legs from that cramped room." Bringing his rapier up, "Perhaps a match? Not to the death, of course, but a test of skill..." (How are we going to do this? Non-lethal damage? "Play-act" it?)

LightWraith
2007-10-06, 07:33 PM
Daveak Pegason

Still facing away from Eg, I hear and understand your warning, friend, but I have told you nothing that is not common knowledge in Throathold, any of the guards could have told you my name just as readily. In the wild, there are many things that will take one's life without a chance for a word. Trust that I know how quickly that can happen. Facing the other way, you cannot see the quick flash of pain across his face.

Turning to face the other man, Daveak brings his longsword up into a two handed grip. A match would be welcome my knowledgeable friend. Striking straw targets is only so useful.

((That's a good question... I think running it as normal but with non-lethal damage would probably be the most "realistic", but we'll have to see what Zincorium says.))

NoDot
2007-10-06, 07:54 PM
Eg del Wonk

Eg responds, "So you have seen deaths by the wild, deaths that take days, weeks, or months. I have seen social deaths, deaths that take weeks, months, or years. Neither is pretty, but which would you prefer, slow or fast? I'd take the quick one, but our match will begin or your answer..."

(While we wait on Zincorium, I hope I calculated this correctly....)
[roll0]

LightWraith
2007-10-06, 08:08 PM
Daveak Pegason

You have my agreement there my new friend, a quick death is the better... cleaner... if only everyone was so lucky.

Daveak touches his blade to his forehead, then drops back into a combat stance.

[roll0]

NoDot
2007-10-06, 10:12 PM
Eg del Wonk

Quick is better, indeed. I have seen too many slow social deaths to feel differently. This match should help me stretch these battle muscles that might help me live to see more. Shame killing would be a bad idea, but subduing an enemy is a talent worth practicing, Eg thinks, as his opponent begins their match.

LightWraith
2007-10-06, 10:44 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak flows towards Eg, taking a measured swing toward his armored chest, taking a measure of his reflexes rather than trying to maim. This is a friendly match after all.

[roll0]
[roll1]

NoDot
2007-10-07, 12:06 AM
Eg del Wonk

Daveak's movement forward seemed almost reckless to Eg, as he aimed a shot at the approaching foe. ("Not quite hero material yet, I see.") After the approacher's swing just barely missing, glassing Eg's amour, Eg takes another stab at his foe before darting past and moving out of range. A foe that was easy to catch was easy to kill, as the hunter should know...

AoO:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attack:
[roll2]
[roll3]

(Eg was supposed to be at 10 ft. at the battle's start. As courtesy, take an AoO yourself from Eg's movement. I'd like a shifting battlefield so we can attract the other PCs.)

LightWraith
2007-10-07, 12:34 AM
Daveak Pegason

Dodging smoothly around both attacks, Daveak turned and takes a swipe as his sparring partner passes.
This could get interesting...

Risking Eg's blade again, Daveak smoothly closes once again with the other man and takes an upward swing when he gets close enough.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

((And attract them we shall!))

Zincorium
2007-10-07, 01:00 AM
(interjected just prior to Daveak's second action)

Turning on his heel, Daveak makes a startling lunge towards the verbally jousting bard, longsword wavering as the flat of the blade forces it's way through the cold air. Although caught slightly off-guard, Wonk quickly ripostes the attack and shifts position to escape the onslaught of his stronger opponent's heavier blade. Although both are skilled, the caution of using deadly weapons to fend off instead of kill prevents any contact.

NoDot
2007-10-07, 03:50 AM
Eg del Wonk

Eg deftly dodges Daveak's strikes ("Did mooks teach you to fight?"), and makes a quick jab with his rapier before taking off again, twirling along the way. His sense of dramatics was taking over...

[roll0]
[roll1]

BooNL
2007-10-07, 05:36 AM
Tan

As Tan makes his way to the merchant stalls, his attention shifts to the duel that has broken out on the nearby training yard.

He stops and takes a moment to spectate.

Look at this Allara, a clash of skills between these two warriors

While he is watching the duel he can't help but compare the two to young bucks around a deer, fighting over social dominance in the group.

NoDot
2007-10-07, 04:43 PM
Eg del Wonk

Now, unless I'm mistaken about criticals...

1d20-3
1d6+1

NoDot
2007-10-07, 04:45 PM
Eg del Wonk

(*sigh*, one more time...)

[roll0]
[roll1]

LightWraith
2007-10-07, 05:07 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak shakes his head quickly to try to clear his vision after the close encounter of the blade kind.

Still ignoring Eg's verbal jabs, Daveak takes yet another swing towards the other man's armor.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Not taking his eyes off of Wonk, Good day Captain, just a friendly sparring match here. I am starting the think that blades might have been a bad choice though.

Zincorium
2007-10-07, 11:04 PM
Continuing to circle and jab at each other, Wonk finally manages to get in a blow of a sort, his rapier, whipping back and forth, striking Daveak across the eye. Although you can still see, the impact causes your vision to fuzz a bit and you immediately start tearing up.

A voice calls out from the stables as the fight continues. "HEY, you two, who the hell taught you both how to fight?! Either you're terrible at trying to kill one another or you haven't figured out that you're not supposed to practice with real blades."

Captain Drelan strides out of the stable yard with an exasperated look on his hands and carrying a hauk in each hand. He tosses them beside the fighting pair.

"Don't make Tan here work more than he has to."

Icewalker
2007-10-08, 12:44 AM
A tall handsome human lounges against a nearby fence, watching the duel. He seems to be observing all his surroundings, clearly interested in the goings on of the keep.

[roll0] (Listen check)

After having listened intently to the conversation between Eg and Daveak, as well as the interruption by captain Drelan, Risch Acamit watches the actual fight only partially, as he deems that the only good information to come from it is who is a better duelist, more easily determined by the aftermath instead of the proceedings.

BooNL
2007-10-08, 02:03 AM
Tan

Tan is slightly amused by the comment the captain of the guard makes and walks over toward him.

"Good day Captain, eh..." Tan looks a bit unconfortable and makes a quick salute. He has never spent so much time around military men he has no idea how to react tot them.

"It is good to see these duelists are keeping their muscles warm during the aftermath of this harsh winter."

Jesting, he adds "I guess not everone is as wise as they are", winking at the captain.

NoDot
2007-10-08, 02:18 AM
Eg del Wonk

Giving the captain a snarl, Eg responds, "What good are light, wooden slabs for practice when we have heavy, metal blades to use?" He speaks in Common, but he punctures his speech with a thick (read: nigh indecipherable) Infernal accent.

(I'll assume that was your AoO, LightWraith, but Eg moved away again.)

LightWraith
2007-10-08, 07:26 AM
Daveak Pegason

((Oh, right, missed the twirling bit. Here's the rest of my action))

Daveak sheathes his longsword before sliding his foot under one of the hauks and kicking it into the air. He catches it in one hand as he continues the running duel with Wonk.

When he gets within range, he raises the hauk for a first strike. Instead of swinging, however, he instead lowers it to his side.

"I believe I have had enough practice for the time being. Thank you Eg del Wonk for the match. Perhaps we will have another chance someday. In any case we seem to have attracted an audience."

Bowing to Eg, Daveak returns his hauk to the nearest rack and goes to address the Captain.

"Any news of interest lately Captain?"

BooNL
2007-10-08, 02:17 PM
Tan

Seeing the ranger coming towards Tan and the captain, Tan turns to face Daveak Pegason.

"A fine duel, but without a clear victory.", Tan turns back to the captain, saying "I have a feeling these two are not finished yet."

"Now,", says Tan, "Let me have a look at that wound there."

Without waiting for a response, Tan lightly graps Daveak's head with both hands and lowers it towards his.

"Hmmz, it does not look that bad, you will have a black eye for the next few days, but no permanent damage." Tan releases his grip and stands back.

"You're Pegason, the guide, correct?" Tan does another clumsy salute. "My name is Tan, pleased to meet you."

LightWraith
2007-10-08, 04:21 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak tenses up slightly when Tan grabs his head, but relaxes when he sees that his intentions are noble.

Smiling kindly, he says,"Aye, well met Tan, I am Daveak Pegason. I do both guide and scout work for Throathold when asked, which is not often in the winter." Daveak bows, "And I have seen you around, Tan. You work in the infirmary right? Much more useful work than my own, I must say."

Pegason takes a quick glance over his shoulder to ensure that his rapier wielding friend has in fact agreed to stop their duel.

Zincorium
2007-10-08, 09:46 PM
Captain Drelan waits politely for the druid to finish his examination before stepping in to answer the ranger's question.

"A bit of, well, somewhat private business I'd like to talk to you all about- and yes, Risch, I'm talking to you as well. Naturally, I'd prefer to do so inside, but if you're still in the mood to beat each other, I'm willing to wait until you're finished. More or less it concerns an old friend of mine who passed away a few days ago, and the things he left unfinished. There's also a wizard I wrote to, but I'm not sure if he'll arrive in town before you leave. If he doesn't I'll send him along to meet you."

The captain turns and begins to walk away before remembering something and turning back to face Wonk.

"Heavy, metal blades as you put it tend to kill people. If you kill people, you'll face justice. So use the sticks, if you don't mind."

Icewalker
2007-10-08, 10:53 PM
At the sound of his name Risch's eyes slide quickly away from a slight quarrel erupting between a half-elf and another human nearby and over to Drelan. One eyebrow goes up as he continues to explain the news. A few moments after the captain begins to leave, Risch follows nonchalantly.

BooNL
2007-10-09, 01:55 AM
Tan

"My work would have been light the past months if people would just remember to dress up warm.".

Tan turns to walk in step with the captain. "Or cast some protective magic every once in a while", he adds to Allara.

LightWraith
2007-10-09, 04:36 AM
Daveak Pegason

Falling into makeshift formation behind Captain Drelan and Tan, Daveak says, "I'll be of whatever help I can Captain."

Edan
2007-10-09, 07:52 PM
A near middle aged man walks into town, having received word that his presence was requested. However, he feels uncomfortable in the new hamlet, and lacks any idea of where to find his summoner.

Dayll, mumbling under his breath, half annoyed.

"I know I was summoned to this hamlet, but I was never informed on where to go, this is rather annoying." he again mumbled under his breath "I guess I will ask around, but it is so...mundane, I wish there was some sort of magical way to find this guardhouse, everything looks so similiar. Oh well, just another piece of knowledge to pursue later."

Edan
2007-10-09, 07:55 PM
Still working out dice roller, had to add role here.

[roll0]

[roll0] (gather information)

NoDot
2007-10-10, 12:06 AM
Eg del Wonk

Annoyed by the duel's end, Eg sheaths his weapon. He'd been hoping for a clear victory.

However, this was perhaps going to get even more interesting soon...

Zincorium
2007-10-10, 07:19 AM
Dayll- although initially perplexed at your questions (who doesn't know where the guardhouse is?) the townsfolk you talk to quickly ascertain that you are, indeed, not familiar to the area and direct you up the hill to the gates.

The rest-

Captain Drelan invites you all into the small office on the second floor of the keep. It's quite a bit warmer and the air gets stuffy rather quickly, but it's worth putting up with to get the chill out.

"I'll try to keep this short, but there's a bit to tell. I'll answer questions when I've said my piece, if you get bored the rest can fill you in later. Just got news that a mentor of mine back when I was a young scamp passed away in his sleep a few days ago. He was a loner, so it's not surprising that it took a while to check up on him. Can't help but get misty eyed when I talk of him, but I didn't bring you all here to tell sad tales."

Pulling out a small, crude wooden chest, the captain removes a sheaf of yellowed and tattered paper and begins spreading it out on the desk.

"One of the things he mentioned a time or two when he was in his cups was an old temple of some dwarven god, way out in the foothills beyond the gate. Treasure, mystical beasts, eternal life, all the parts of a good yarn by the fire, yeah? But he'd been there once before, and more than one of his companions got left behind when they fled.

"One of the things he left was a note attached to these papers, telling me to find some people to see if his memory was real or just a fantasy he'd concocted over the years. I'm willing to pay for expenses out of my own pocket for a bit of closure on this, find out what you can and get out of that place alive. I don't need bodies piling up over this. It's up to you each to decide whether you're in, but it'll be safer if the majority of you go."

BooNL
2007-10-10, 08:14 AM
Tan

Tan listens intently to the request of the captain. The mention of dwarves sends a shiver down his spine, A chance to find out about my heritage? The long lost legacy of our race's division, any clue would help.

"Your mentor might have passed away in this land, but nature has absorbed his energy in all life. I hope this helps lessen the pain." Tan was never good at comforting others, though he felt he had to try.

"This proposition, it is of personal interest to me. The dwarves have always been a fascination of mine.

I accept, with or without help from the others."

Tan steps back and waits for the others to respond.

Icewalker
2007-10-10, 01:07 PM
expenses paid.... Risch thinks to himself, smiling slightly.

"Sounds interesting. I could use something to do, not enough variation around here."

NoDot
2007-10-10, 02:48 PM
Eg del Wonk

Knowledge is always valuable.

"You have intrigued me. I will help you."

LightWraith
2007-10-10, 05:22 PM
Daveak Pegason

An ancient temple... maybe I'll find some answers about Jareak. It's worth the chance.

Daveak bows to the Captain, "You have my help as well. Closure is something that everyone deserves."

To the others, "The foothills are dangerous though, especially with spring setting in. We must be well prepared."

Back to the Captain, "When would you have us leave?"

Zincorium
2007-10-11, 08:21 AM
The captain smiles as the various people in the room all acquiesce. "Whenever you feel you're ready, but sooner would be good. Talked to the local wise-woman, and she said the winter storms have passed. She's never been wrong so far. Which leaves mudslides and flash floods as the only environmental hazards, and both Tan and Daveak should be able to guide you out of the way of those."

BooNL
2007-10-11, 01:39 PM
Tan

"Most of the more dangerous animals are in their final days of hibernation, meaning we should leave as soon as possible if we want to make our journey somewhat easier."

Tan is anxious to leave, he walks toward the door, turns toward the others and says "I suggest we leave by dawn tomorrow. I'll be waiting in front of the guard house."

Without waiting for anyone to respond he walks out and shuts the door behind him.

"Come on Allara, let's get you that food I promised."

Icewalker
2007-10-11, 04:22 PM
Risch nods, cheerful

"Sounds like a good plan. I'm gonna go buy...supplies."

LightWraith
2007-10-11, 05:59 PM
Daveak Pegason

"Dawn it is, then.

By your leave Captain, I will go prepare for the journey.

Hmmm... have I ever seen any signs of this temple before?

(([roll0] To see if I might have seen some hint on my travels.. I figure an ancient dwarven temple had to leave some trace on the landscape.))

After thinking for a moment, Daveak leaves the building to do whatever preparations that might be necessary.

NoDot
2007-10-11, 08:55 PM
Eg del Wonk

"We shall meet again in the morning, Daveak," Eg tells him, before beginning to leave the room. However, he stops at the doorway. Like Daveak, he also wonders in there was any mention of such a temple in his studies.

Knowledge Checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

(Yes, all of them, including Bardic Knowledge! Something might come up in the obscure knowledge checks...)

Icewalker
2007-10-13, 01:00 AM
Risch heads out to anybody he can find to scrounge out some information.

Gather Information check: [roll0]

LightWraith
2007-10-13, 01:58 AM
Daveak Pegason

After insuring that all of his supplies are in order, Daveak will retire for the evening. Assuming nothing exciting occurs, he will awake in time to arrive in front of the guard house shortly before dawn.

NoDot
2007-10-13, 02:06 AM
Eg del Wonk

Assuming Eg has everything he needs, he will do the same.

BooNL
2007-10-13, 10:58 AM
Tan

Ditto on Tan, he might help in the infirmary some more, but is otherwise set.

Icewalker
2007-10-13, 05:45 PM
Well, seeing that Risch isn't prepared for camping and the like, He heads out to buy...some supplies:

Bedroll, Hooded lantern, 5 pints of oil, tent, waterskin, and 1 week of trail rations. 5 candles, two map tubes, 2 empty flasks, a mug, signal whistle, 3 torches, and 2 empty sacks. (Total price 25gp, 2sp, 6cp, 52 lb. weight.)

If possible, I'd like to add on a mule and a week of feed. (only 8g, 35cp more)

All this may come in handy, traveling through the countryside, Thinks Risch as he buys a small truckload of supplies.

Zincorium
2007-10-14, 01:01 AM
As the morning breaks, the sun shines down in full glory. But beneath the warmth and light, the cold and dark that winter has wrought still lurk behind every spot of cover.

Captain Drelan sees you off, providing every scrap of paper and any necessary supplies that will help keep the journey smoother.

"Now remember, stay alive, I don't care if you run all of the time, but make sure you get back to me with something that proves you were there. Now, there are some dwarven treasure's mentioned, and they're yours for the taking, but there's a certain 'orb of life' that the ol' man talked about, and I'd like to at least see it for myself if you can find it. Anyway, regardless of the outcome, I wish the best of luck to you."

LightWraith
2007-10-14, 01:58 AM
Daveak Pegason

Falling into his comfortable role as guide, Daveak addresses the party, "Well, if everyone is prepared, we should get on our way. Everyone keep your eyes open and call out if you notice anything out of the ordinary. As long as we stay wary, this should be an uneventful trip. At least until we reach the temple."

Unlimbering his longbow, Daveak heads out in the general direction of the temple.

As is normal when he acts as a guide, he will try to stay roughly 10 feet ahead of the party, so that he can recognize any problems before they become critical.

NoDot
2007-10-14, 02:28 AM
Eg del Wonk

Eg leads the others as Daveak stays in front. ("Take your lead. You know this place better than I do.") He also recommends that the wagon stays in back. ("Anyone who doesn't surround us is likely at the front. Moving around the wagon would waste time."*) With that, he started after Daveak, muttering old stories under his breath, ready to let them roar.

*((I'm assuming the wizard isn't here with us. If he shows, I'll give his orders.))

BooNL
2007-10-14, 09:56 AM
Tan

Even though the sun is bright in the sky, there is still a cold wind blowing and Tan wraps his cloak a bit tighter around his body.

As he climbs on Allara he gives her a small pat on the head. "Alright girl, we're going back to the wilds again, so be on your guard."

To his companions he adds "Let us go, we have a long day ahead of us."

Tan will be riding in front of the wagon, near the back. Eyes peeled to the wilderness in case he spots something interesting.

Icewalker
2007-10-16, 12:13 AM
Risch strides along, a passive expression on his face and a glazed look in his eyes, as if lost in thought, his hand on the mule carrying his rather large bags of supplies.

Zincorium
2007-10-16, 04:49 AM
(eh, let's on with it, edan can either join the party whenever by walking up to the camp, or just be a running joke. Pun not intended.)

The sunshine is bright by late morning when it finally climbs up over the eastern mountains, the light glinting off of wet rocks and snow to make vision painful at times, but the heat it brings vanishes whenever a cloud passes across it's surface or one of the scattered pine trees overhangs the suggestion of a trail that your path takes you along.

(Just a question: where, precisely, did you guys get a wagon? What's pulling it? No one mentioned it before you guys left in the back of it, and wagons aren't well suited to mountains.)

At the evening of the first day, you've bedded down by the side of a large, but nameless lake approximately a third of the way along according to the map. The lake is cold, wide, and appears very, very deep.

Everyone roll spot, listen, and survival twice.

BooNL
2007-10-16, 08:12 AM
Tan

We've made good progress and nature has been suprisingly good natured to our presence, let us hope this does not change the coming days."

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

LightWraith
2007-10-16, 10:19 AM
Daveak Pegason

"Aye Tan, we have been lucky so far. Let us try to get some rest."

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

((I was wondering about the wagon myself, I know Risch picked up a mule, but there was no mention of a wagon...))

Icewalker
2007-10-16, 04:27 PM
(Well, if survival is for food, I already have my own rations, so I'd eat them)

Spot:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Listen:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Survival:
[roll4]
[roll5]

NoDot
2007-10-17, 02:16 AM
Eg del Wonk

((The wagon was an Ica. My bad! Replace wagon with mule...))

Spot:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Listen:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Survival:
[roll4]
[roll5]

((I presume we can make these untrained...))

Zincorium
2007-10-17, 05:37 AM
Tan: Every once in a while, when the wind is still, you've heard rocks clatter and twigs snap in the distance and to a lesser degree once you decided to camp. Might be someone following you, but it's hard to be sure.

Daveak: You don't sense anything, but boy, you sure would know what to do if something did come up.

Risch: Small bits of shadows where they maybe aren't supposed to be, odd noises, but being a city boy you don't know whether that's just normal animal sounds, or what.

Wonk: You only heard a little bit of noise, but you recall a few tales of people being tracked down in the wilderness, and you're definite that it sounded almost exactly like that was supposed to have sounded. But you haven't heard it in a while, so maybe it stopped.

BooNL
2007-10-17, 06:14 AM
Tan

Looking around the clearing of the camp, Tan felt something was not right, but he could not be sure.

"We're a ways from civilized land, I suggest we post a guard tonight, just in case.

Looking at his surroundings, he adds, "Allara and I will take the first watch."

LightWraith
2007-10-17, 07:09 AM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak prepares his bedroll, then addresses the party, "Agreed. I'll take the second watch. Be sure to call out if anything comes up Tan."

He settles down, but stays fully dressed and keeps his weapons in easy reach. Can't be too careful out in the wilderness.

BooNL
2007-10-17, 07:44 AM
Tan

Tan was pleased Daveak took up the second watch, the other two probably didn't know what to do in the wilderness.

"Good, that's settled then, Eg, Risch, you had better get some sleep, tomorrow we be a long day."

Icewalker
2007-10-17, 04:28 PM
"Sounds good" says Risch, setting up a small camp from his piles of supplies.

NoDot
2007-10-18, 08:11 AM
Eg del Wonk

Sitting down, Eg recalls something. "I've heard stories from the locals about people being tracked down in the wilderness. Have any of you heard things like this?" Eg looks slightly nervous. "Earlier, I think I heard something that sounded like what the was supposed to have sounded like. What of you? What have you heard today?"

Waiting for the others' response, Eg ponders over his vast knowledge and the tales he's heard.
((What all does Eg know?))

Knowledge Checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Zincorium
2007-10-23, 05:43 AM
As the sun sets and the night begins to grow bitterly cold, Allara begins snarling and pacing the ground, conflicted between an odd smell and her duty to guard.

From the shadows emerge two figures, taller than humans but very slender. As they have muzzles and matted fur, gnolls would be a likely guess, but their fur is matted and clumped together with mud, needles, and other plant matter. Their eyes gleam yellow in the light from the campfire, and they stop at the edge of the light.

Both carry axes openly but held loosely, and if they're wearing clothing or armor it's not evident under the muck.

(roll initiative, begin talking, or do whatever it is you do, Tan. The rest are sleeping at the moment, but wouldn't be hard to wake up.)

BooNL
2007-10-23, 09:27 AM
Tan

Seeing the gnolls approach Tan shouts out to his party. "Wake up! We are under attack!"

He starts chanting strange words, his hands drawing unknown patterns into the sky. With each stroke a dark green flash of light follows his hand. He grips his divine focus and points his hand towards a spot nearby the gnolls. Out of thin air, a wolf appears who attacks the enemies on sight.

"Allara, attack our enemies!", Tan shoutes as he readies his club against the uncoming beasts.

(( OOC: [roll0]

Spontaneous Casting: Summon Nature's Ally I (replaces Shillelagh), duration 1 round.

Using free action to command Allara to attack.

Knowledge check to identify the creatures properly.

=Knowledge Nature]1d20+8 ))

BooNL
2007-10-23, 09:37 AM
((OOC:

Strike 2:

[roll0]

))

LightWraith
2007-10-23, 06:47 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak snaps awake at Tan's call, then rolls out of his bedroll and grabs his longsword in both hands.

He yells to the others, To arms! We're under attack!

Daveak moves towards the first creature, trying to identify it as he gets close enough to attack.

(( [roll0]

[roll1]

On my turn, I'll move to the nearest creature and attack.

[roll2]
[roll3] ))

NoDot
2007-10-24, 01:17 AM
Eg del Wonk

Eg also awakens, displeased with the events. He draws his weapon and begins... telling a story? "Perhaps I shall tell you the story of..."

[roll0]
Knowledge Checks
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Beginning Bardic Music (+1 vs Charm and Fear; +1 on Attack and Damage)

Zincorium
2007-10-24, 04:57 AM
Tan begins waving his arms and bringing in the blessing of the earth as his faithful hound lunges towards the scent that was bugging her. She snaps at the nearest one, which brings up his axe to defend and waves off his companion, who begins running at a breakneck pace away from the camp.

The rest of you wake up to an odd cacophony of sounds.

BooNL
2007-10-24, 05:21 AM
Tan

Seeing the other gnoll run away, Tan is afraid it'll get reinforcements.

He orders Allara to attack the fleeing gnoll and moves towards the other gnoll himself. Striking him with his club.

The summoned wolf attacks the remaining gnoll as well.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Zincorium
2007-10-24, 06:30 AM
The surreal sound of a story being told somehow stands out clearly against the sounds of combat. It's oddly comforting.

Bolstered by the sound, Tan's club swings true, knocking the gnoll solidly in the chest, and the summoned wolf latches onto an ankle brings the gnoll to the ground before dissappearing into the mists from whence it came. Swinging it's axe from the ground, the gnoll attempts to retaliate against Tan but comes up short.

Daveak's longsword whizzes over the gnoll's head as it drops roughly to the ground.

The fleeing gnoll continues running, Allara breaking off from combat to go after her new target. She's a bit faster but unable to get in position to really attack. They're both out in the darkness beyond the range of anyone's vision.

Icewalker
2007-10-24, 04:31 PM
Risch bolts out of his tent at the yell, and seeing the combat, whips out his hand crossbow.

BooNL
2007-10-25, 10:42 AM
Tan

Feeling the rush of battle through his veins, Tan raises his club to pummel the gnoll once more.

[roll0]

[roll1]

NoDot
2007-10-27, 06:28 AM
Eg del Wonk

Eg continues his tale.

LightWraith
2007-10-28, 04:03 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak moves towards the fallen creature, raising his longsword for a fierce slash.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Icewalker
2007-10-28, 04:16 PM
Risch walks calmly up to the prone gnoll and fires his hand crossbow into its face.

That'd be a sneak attack, +1d6. There is a -4 for ranged weapons vs. a prone target, but what happens if you are just standing over them and shoot down?

Zincorium
2007-10-29, 06:36 AM
Battered by his opponents from all sides, the gnoll on the ground finally slumps back and his eyes roll up in his head.

Risch puts a bolt through his forehead, ending it with finality (coup-de-grace).

A few seconds later, as those of you fighting catch your breath, and Eg finally gets around to telling you the end of the incredibly short story, Allara comes limping into the firelight, an arrow through her side and blood on her muzzle.

BooNL
2007-10-29, 07:59 AM
Tan

Seeing Allara limping into view, Tan drops his club and shield and runs over to her. "Allara! Oh girl, you look terrible. We have to get this arrow out. It will hurt, but don't worry, it'll be over soon.

Tan grabs a stick from the ground and puts it in Allara's mouth, he then checks the wound. After concluding it safe to remove, he pulls the arrow out.

Immediately he channels his energies and lays his hands on Allara's side. A green glow surrounds the wound as it slowly closes.

"There there, rest now."

((

[roll0]

Out of 1st lvl spells btw. ))

NoDot
2007-10-29, 01:23 PM
Eg del Wonk

Eg finishes his tale and spends a moment calming himself.

Those creatures...
Knowledge Checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

LightWraith
2007-10-30, 11:31 PM
Daveak Pegason

"Everyone alright? We need to be more careful, that could have ended badly."

Daveak returns his sword to it's sheath, then straps his swordbelt back on. "Go ahead and get some sleep Tan, I'll take over watch for the rest of the night."

Picking up his bow, he walks a quick patrol around the campsite then returns to the center. Taking a seat, on the grass, he calmly looks at the direction the gnolls came from. He mutters under his breath, "That was very odd wasn't it..."

Icewalker
2007-10-30, 11:42 PM
Risch's eyes seem to glaze over as he walks back to his tent, lost in thought.

Zincorium
2007-10-31, 05:23 AM
Although the watches seem to drag on forever, the threat of imminent attack from the darkness all around keeping the watchmen on edge, dawn eventually breaks.

The body of the gnoll has grown stiff, it's blood coagulated, and the smell is a bit rank once the sun touches it.

BooNL
2007-10-31, 06:28 AM
Tan

Tan wakes up and pushes Allara to the side. He yawns and tries to get his head clear.

When he sees the body of the gnoll the memories come flooding back, immediately he gets up.

He gets out his waterskin and a ceramic bowl, upon muttering a few words, both objects fill with water. He places the bowl near his bed for Allara.

Drinking from the waterskin, he walks over to the gnoll's corpse and checks it.

Zincorium
2007-10-31, 06:43 AM
The gnoll's corpse is in pretty bad shape from the battle, but you can tell with a quick glance that it was a male, a bit taller and somewhat skinnier than a human, and it has several pouches hidden under a jerkin that was ripped and frayed and then covered with mud, leaves, and twigs much like the gnoll's fur.

The pouches contain an assortment of both basic supplies (jerky, fishing hooks, sharpening stones) and trinkets that my be either religious or sentimental value, including three worn copper and a silver piece with a hole through the top and a loop of rough thread.

A ways to the side, the gnoll's axe is in surprisingly good condition compared to the rest of it's gear and is of obviously better quality. There is a line of inscribed script, and although you can't read it, you note an obvious relationship between the style of writing and gnomish, especially older volumes of gnomish.

BooNL
2007-10-31, 07:19 AM
Tan

Inspecting the axe, Tan notices the resemblance between the writing and the gnomish language. Though he can't make out the inscription. Could it be dwarven?

He gets up and wakes Eg.

"Eg, wake up." Tan gives him a light kick with his boot. "This inscription, it looks like gnomish but I can't read it. Can you help decipher it?"

NoDot
2007-10-31, 08:38 AM
Eg del Wonk

"I can speak with elementals, creatures of pure Good, and creatures of pure Evil all in their native tongue. I don't speak this tongue, but I think it's gnoll."

LightWraith
2007-10-31, 04:09 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak stands and stretches, loosening muscles that cramped during the long watch.

Seeing the other party members examining the axe, he walks over "Find anything of note? If not, we should probably break camp and be on our way, we still have some distance left to cover."

With that, Pegason gathers his supplies and breaks fast while he waits for the others.

Icewalker
2007-10-31, 04:32 PM
Hearing the comments about the writing on the axe, Risch turns back and bends down over the inscription.

Zincorium
2007-11-05, 10:13 PM
(Because this has been sitting dead for a few days, and that appears to be because everyone is waiting. Without telling me they're waiting. So gonna move on.)

The memory of the battle of the previous night lingering in everyone's minds, the band journeys onwards into the hills.

In contrast to the bright sunlight and bright predictions of the locals, the sky grows dark and cloudy over the course of the second day, and eventually a cold rain begins to fall in long, tumbling sheets. Off in the distance you can see breaks in the clouds, but around you it continues to be damp and frigid. While unlike the first day there are no signs of being trailed, a sense of foreboding hangs heavy over the second and third day.

At long last, however, you come to the approximate spot on the map where the temple was said to be. The gorge before you is narrow, but deep, and stretches a good distance in both directions from where you stand. For the most part, the walls of the gorge are sheer rock faces, but there's a narrow switchback trail in front of you that leads down to the bottom.

(any actions you want to make in the midst of this, go ahead and post them. Shouldn't require too much ret-conning)

Icewalker
2007-11-06, 02:04 AM
"Well, here we are." Risch says, clearly happy to be finished with long distance travel for the time being. "Let's head down, shall we?

BooNL
2007-11-06, 03:04 AM
Tan

Seeing their trail mark the end of their journey, at least to the temple, Tan agrees with Risch. "Indeed, but I suggest utmost care. We don't know what to expect."

LightWraith
2007-11-06, 04:57 PM
Daveak Pegason

Looking down at the switchback, Daveak warns his companions, "Watch your step, the footing on trails such as these can be dangerous, and falling wouldn't be the most pleasant way down."

With that, he will take his own advice, slowly picking his way down the trail, bow at the ready.

Zincorium
2007-11-12, 07:06 PM
The steps lead downward, forming a slick and treacherous path that forces you to move more slowly than you're accustomed to.

At the bottom a layer of water about a foot deep sluggishly flows southward and based on the mass of sticks and rotting leaves that's collected at the end it appears to drain off through some unseen means.

It's source is a massive stone archway set into a carved rock wall on the northern end of the gorge, and there are remnants of stairs to either side of where the stream has worn away the rock. The archway itself is about thirteen feet (four meters or so) tall, and despite it's decrepitude is clearly visible as an artificial creation. An unpleasant but hard to define smell permeates the air, and it gets stronger the closer to the archway you get. No light is visible inside.

NoDot
2007-11-12, 10:20 PM
Eg del Wonk

Eg follows the Ranger slowly down the canyon.

The entrance is at the bottom of a canyon. Surprise, surprise...

BooNL
2007-11-16, 11:26 AM
Tan

Used to the natural terrain, Tan quickly makes his way down. Allara has a harder time as she shifts and slides down the trail.

When she gets down, Tan pats her on the head. "Good girl."

He looks up at the archway and takes a deep breath, Is this it?

He turns around to look if the rest of the party has made its way down. "Shall we?"

LightWraith
2007-11-16, 02:46 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak looks into the dark archway, then reaches into his pack. He pulls out and lights a torch, hoping the flickering light will provide enough light in the tomb-like darkness.

Taking his longsword in hand, he says "Aye, I'm ready." With that, he begins walking towards the entrance.

((Sword in my primary hand, torch in my offhand.. obviously ;) ))

Icewalker
2007-11-18, 11:26 PM
Risch turns and looks into the archway, then follows behind Daveak, keeping his eyes peeled for danger

Spot:
Listen: [roll1d20+3 crap. Rerolling listen in OOC thread.

Zincorium
2007-11-20, 08:59 PM
As you walk inside, the torchlight throws a flickering orange illumination over what is probably a foyer of sorts. The walls and ceiling are clearly worked stone, but are old and have a layer of lichen coating them. The floor is slimy and covered by ankle deep (knee deep or so in tan's case) water, which is almost still once past the entrance.

Approximately twenty feet in, the way is barred by a twisted mass of rust, an iron gate that has been reduced to ruin by the passage of time and moisture. There is no discernable lock and the hinges no longer serve their intended function.

All is quiet except for your own splashing footsteps.

NoDot
2007-11-26, 09:03 PM
Eg del Wonk

"Are we going to stand here all day or are we planning to find a way in!?"

Icewalker
2007-11-26, 09:37 PM
After a...long...pause, looking around the room, Risch walks over to the remains of the gate and looks beyond it.

If wanted:
spot: [roll0]

LightWraith
2007-11-27, 06:32 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak holds up his torch and looks through the gate.

If it seems clear, he will attempt to push/pull the gate open, then take a few cautious steps through the entrance.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zincorium
2007-11-28, 08:35 AM
The tunnel curves upwards and to the left beyond the gate, and there looks to be more of a current in the water there.

The gate itself is stuck fast, but you imagine that it could be bashed open with an appropriate bludgeoning object.

Icewalker
2007-11-28, 07:01 PM
"Well...I suppose we should try to get through this."

Risch begins to search through the room for an appropriate makeshift battering ram.

Although I doubt a big log will be hidden, have a Search check: [roll0]

NoDot
2007-11-29, 09:14 PM
Eg del Wonk

Under his breath, Eg comments in Infernal, "Anyone got a big log?"

BooNL
2007-11-30, 02:55 AM
Tattle

Seeing how his party members are busy opening the gate, Tan sits down in a meditative stance.

"To open a lock, you must first find the key."

NoDot
2007-11-30, 08:00 AM
Eg del Wonk

Returning to Common, "Or smash the thing."

NoDot
2007-12-02, 02:50 PM
Eg del Wonk

Annoyed with his companions' slow progress, Eg charges at the gate.

[roll0]

Zincorium
2007-12-02, 10:43 PM
Lunging shoulder first at the obstacle, the party bard collides with the rusted remains of the gate, but it yet holds.

Other than a loud clatter and bits and pieces that have fallen to the ground, the gate is unmoved.

NoDot
2007-12-03, 05:18 AM
Eg del Wonk

Picking himself up again, Eg takes a few steps back and tries to charge the gate again.

[roll0]

LightWraith
2007-12-03, 03:45 PM
Daveak Pegason

Seeing the gate showing an abnormal amount of resistance, Daveak says,"Let me give it a try."

Standing in front of the rusty barrier, Pegason gives it a swift kick in the center, hoping to dislodge it from it's mounts.

[roll0]

BooNL
2007-12-03, 05:18 PM
Tan

Tan sighs, gets up and dusts himself off.

"Let me handle it. Allara, I'll need your help girl."

Tan works in tandem with Allara to bring the door down.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Zincorium
2007-12-03, 11:13 PM
As the majority of the party puts their back into bending the gate out of the way, Allara perks up her ears at her master's call for assistance and calmly reaches out a paw to scratch at the bottom of the gate, giving it that last little push it needed.

The entire assembly crashes to the stone floor with a tremendous clatter, and the three who were pushing come down painfully on top of it, getting quite wet.

Beyond, the stairway beckons mockingly.

Icewalker
2007-12-04, 12:27 AM
"Let's see what mysteries these ruins hold..."

Risch says cheerfully as he turns to stride up the staircase.

"And see if said mysteries are worth anything..." he mutters under his breath as he walks, grinning.

NoDot
2007-12-04, 01:55 AM
Eg del Wonk

If the Rogue tries to move past us while we're trying to get up, Eg grabs the bottom of the Rogue's leg and trips him.
Eg picks himself up off the ground and shakes and wrings some of the water out of his clothes.

To their Rogue, Eg menaces in an Infernal accent, "You could have assisted us!"

Zincorium
2007-12-04, 10:40 PM
After getting up and possibly wringing out your clothes, the other three presumably follow Risch along the passage.

At the top is a fairly large room, with battered stone blocks on the floor in evenly spaced rows, about 2' high, with a wide walkway in between. At the far end of the room, a similar block centered on the pathway is flanked by two statues.

The statues themselves are about 6' tall but are incredibly oddly proportioned, with one bulky and wide, the other spindly with very long arms. Both have short legs. The surfaces are worn smooth, to where you can't make out features, and water appears to flow from the skin of the statues in thousands of small rivulets, but no source of the water can be seen.

On the center block, there appear to be broken fixtures of some shiny metal, the exact color is hard to make out in the torchlight, but it shows no signs of rust or tarnish despite being attached firmly to the block.

There appears to be another passageway sloping downwards past the statues.

NoDot
2007-12-05, 02:40 AM
Eg del Wonk

The statues, oddly proportioned, catch Eg's eye-and suspicion. Closing his eyes for a moment, he tries to think of what they might be.

((see knowledge rolls in OOC))

Icewalker
2007-12-05, 03:24 AM
Approaching the statues warily, Risch examines them without touching them, and then turns to look over the metal on the block.

BooNL
2007-12-05, 10:40 AM
Tan

"I would advice caution. I think I heard something." Tan looks over to Allara, who's grown more silent than usual. "Also, I don't like how Allara is acting. I don't think we're alone."

Tan removes his shield from his back and grabs his club. "Risch, Eg, try to get as much from this place as you can. Dakeak, check out that passage over there, but don't stray too far."

Icewalker
2007-12-05, 05:32 PM
"Yeah, I heard it as well," Risch comments, pulling out his crossbow as he inspects the room. "May be more of those creatures from before."

BooNL
2007-12-05, 05:42 PM
Tan

"The gnolls? Could be, they did have a dwarven weapon. Maybe there is another entrance to this temple."

Icewalker
2007-12-05, 06:48 PM
"Or they were already here. Could be exploring the ruins on their own."

Zincorium
2007-12-06, 11:17 PM
Risch- the surface of the stone statues, up close, appears to be exuding the water out of many small pores.

The metal on the central block is composed of several thin strips of whatever kind of metal it is, it appears they've been bent outwards from the original position. Possibly to remove something from inside.

The passageway on the far side is filled with fairly deep water even with the floor of the room you're in.

Icewalker
2007-12-07, 12:33 AM
"It looks like this metal may have been some kind of cage or container of some kind...it's been broken into. Perhaps containing some dwarven artifact which the gnolls ransacked."

LightWraith
2007-12-08, 03:14 PM
Daveak Pegason

Daveak nods to Tan, then moves towards the passageway. When he gets to the edge, he does his best to gauge how deep the water is. If it is shallow enough to walk without losing mobility, he'll drop in, keeping the torch and his sword above water.

If it is too deep, he will relay that information to the others.

Zincorium
2007-12-09, 06:51 PM
The water is about waist deep, and contains a lot of detritus that you're not sure you want to identify for sure.

It would be a problem for the gnome, but Allara should be able to swim with him on her back.

All along the corridor are 5' by 5' chambers cut out of solid rock, and around 40 or so feet from the end it seems to expand out and you can just see a dim green glow from an unknown source.

NoDot
2007-12-10, 12:24 PM
Eg del Wonk

"Everyone, keep an eye on those statues."

BooNL
2007-12-11, 03:07 PM
Tan

"So, how do we proceed. Do you want to examine these statues some more? Or head further into the ruins?"

NoDot
2007-12-13, 12:51 AM
Eg del Wonk

"I don't trust those statues. If we proceed, we should do so with caution."

Icewalker
2007-12-13, 12:59 AM
"That sounds like a good idea. If we can figure out why they are here or what they are, maybe we could determine whether they are a danger. The water appears to be pouring out of the statues through tiny holes...the water source is probably inside, I'm guessing."

NoDot
2008-01-13, 07:28 PM
Eg del Wonk

With much regret and dread, the bard continues onward.