PDA

View Full Version : The Dragon Empire IC Part IV

RandomWombat
2019-06-05, 08:49 PM
Previous Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498809-The-Dragon-Empire-IC-Part-III)
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?580167-The-Dragon-Empire-Savage-Worlds)

After a mysterious magical phenomenon ripples through the building, the heroes and villains alike are left bewildered and confused, their minds in varying states of befuddlement. Yet the pounding hearts and drawn weapons quickly remind each of them of where they were, and hostilities break out.

In the bar, as patrons scatter, an Asmodean in street garb lunges at River with a vicious-looking serrated dagger. The dagger strikes River's silk vest, and though he feels the painful impact, it does not break through.

Asmodean 7 lunges off of his barstool at River, rolling a 9 to hit, just shy of a Raise. River takes 4 damage, which fails to penetrate his Toughness.

It is Olivin, Edmund, and Botticelli's action.

For simplicity, treat 1 Pace of movement as about what a 5-foot space would have been in PF on the map.

Link (https://i.imgur.com/5SJxJ8E.png)
https://i.imgur.com/5SJxJ8E.png

Asmodean 7 - 9
Olivin - 8
Edmund - 7
Botticelli - 7 (I rolled for him, Azrin still controls him)
Bartender - 5
Asmodean 5&6 - 3
River - 2
Asmodean 1&2 - 2
Asmodean 3&4 - 2
Azrin - 1

H. Von Studley
2019-06-06, 12:00 AM
Edmund rocks back on his heels as the pulse of energy washes over him. What in the hells was that? Everything felt weirdly different, but in a way he couldn't quite put his finger on.

The advancing cultist snaps him back to reality, and he pushes the questions from his mind. He fumbles to draw his shield and glaive and strike at the cultist.

New thread! I'll have a go at the mechanics of this action, but let me know if I've done anything wrong RW.

Joker roll: [roll0]

I think drawing the shield and glaive at the same time requires an agility check:
Agility: [roll1]
Wild: [roll2]

Then when attacking C1, Ed suffers a multi action penalty because of the draw weapon action, so I make that attack at -2.

Glaive attack: [roll3]
Wild die: [roll4]

Not sure if damage (if the above hits) takes the multi action penalty, so I haven't included it in the below. Let me know if I need to subtract.

Damage: [roll5]
Wild: [roll6]

I think that's everything? I'll roll in the OOC if anything aces.

brandnewb
2019-06-09, 09:20 AM
Olivin lashes out with his whip in an attempt to disarm the enemy.

[roll0]
Whip disarm

[roll1]

RandomWombat
2019-06-09, 01:49 PM
Do remember the Wild Die and damage rolls as well, brandnewb. The Wild Die is a d6 you roll alongside most things, and take the better of that or your main die. Disarms in SW are also damaging attacks, unlike in most systems, and the damage is the Target Number for the enemy to resist being disarmed.

I rolled for you this time and got 8 damage.

Quickly readying his weapons, Edmund feels a rush of strength and thrusts his glaive at the Asmodean. The weapon pierces through the hardened leather bands hidden beneath the man's street clothes and blood stains the floor. Olivin lashes out with his whip while the man is staggering and wraps it around his wrist, tugging hard. The cultist drops his dagger and is pulled forwards, striking his head on the doorframe, before crumpling unconscious to the ground.

Another cultist rushes forwards, hopping over the body into the doorway. Edmund is ready, and catches the man defenseless as he leaps forward, landing upon the readied glaive.

Leaning around the corner of the doorway, a third cultist holds out a hand and launches a sphere of eerie green flames out at the first target he sees. The flames fly over Azrin's head, scorching the wall behind him.

The bartender pulls a flintlock pistol from beneath the bar and takes aim, wavering uncertainly between River and the cultist attacking him.

Edmund strikes Asmodean 1 for 9 damage, inflicting Shaken and a Wound.
Olivin performs a Called Shot to the arm on Asmodean 1 for 8 damage, disarming and knocking out the target.
Botticelli is on hold.

Bartender draws a pistol and takes the Aim action.

Asmodean 5 attempts to approach, but Edmund strikes for 13 damage with First Strike, just enough to take him down in one shot.
Asmodean 6 casts Bolt at Azrin, but misses.

It is now River's turn. Botticelli is Held and may also act.

Link (https://i.imgur.com/4vJ8Blw.png)
https://i.imgur.com/4vJ8Blw.png

Asmodean 7 - 9
Olivin - 8
Edmund - 7
Botticelli - 7 / Held Action
Bartender - 5
Asmodean 5&6 - 3
River - 2
Asmodean 1&2 - 2
Asmodean 3&4 - 2
Azrin - 1

Aeryk
2019-06-10, 10:19 AM
River glares at the bartender and shouts, "I'm trying to protect you, fool!" The monk dips around the Asmodean, then rises on the other side with a kick to the forearm, attempting to disarm him, then follows it up with a quick one-two to the body.

Moving around the cultist to the other side, and seemingly out of view of the bartender, based on how the map looks. Then he'll do a Frenzy attack with the first attack targeting the arm holding the knife, attempting a disarm.

First Attack, Disarm: , Damage: [roll]1d8+1d4+1, Wild:
Second Attack: [roll2], Damage: [roll]1d8+1d4+1, Wild:
Third Attack: [roll4], Damage: [roll]1d8+1d4+1, Wild:[roll5]
Like everyone else, I'll roll any aces OOC.

Also, I think B mistakenly rolled a d20 on his disarm? After review, I figure this was actually the joker roll.

RandomWombat
2019-06-11, 03:00 PM
Knowing they are trapped, the cultists in the meeting room fight desperately to escape. Two of them conjure spheres of hellfire and hurl them at Edmund. His animated bone interposes itself between its master and one of them, and the rest of the hellfire deflects off of Edmund's shield.

Before he can recover, a third cultist charges his position and stabs wildly at him with a ceremonial dagger. Edmund is able to turn away the blade before it hits flesh.

River's opening kick shatters his foe's wrist, the bone audibly crunching. The wickedly serrated dagger is sent flying through the air, skidding against the floor and under a table. Trying to step backwards as River winds up his second blow, the cultist falls over the chair behind him and drops to the floor.

River's first attack Raises, adding another +1d6 damage. I rolled it in for 15 damage total. The Asmodean is disarmed and rendered unconscious before the second and third attacks can even occur.

Asmodean 2 casts Bolt at Edmund, hitting for 9 damage, absorbed by his shield.
Asmodean 3 casts Bolt at Edmund, hitting for 10 damage. The Defending Bone absorbs 1 damage and prevents him being Shaken.
Asmodean 4 wild attacks Edmund, but misses.

Azrin's action is up. With Asmodean 7 out of the way, Olivin and Edmund may act as well. Botticelli's turn is still Held.

Link (https://i.imgur.com/SlHitEz.png)
https://i.imgur.com/SlHitEz.png

Olivin - 8
Edmund - 7
Botticelli - 7 / Held Action
Bartender - 5
Asmodean 6 - 3
River - 2
Asmodean 2 - 2
Asmodean 3&4 - 2
Azrin - 1

Archemist
2019-06-11, 06:32 PM
Trying to step backwards as River winds up his second blow, the cultist falls over the chair behind him and drops to the floor.

It may have looked like the chair, but Botticelli had slowly crept up behind the cultist attacking River, and was in the perfect position to keep the cultist's foot from sliding back as he tried to regain his balance.

With the cultist down, Botticelli looks up at River as if expecting praise... or perhaps a lift back to his person.

For his part, Azrin in the other room sees Ed get hit and cultists about ready to bust in.

[roll0] (I think we're at 18?)

Azrin feels his magic has changed, but reaches out to the Elements and hopes for the best, which is all he ever did, really. In a blast of freezing wind, cold energy arcs towards each of the two cultists he can see.

Rank 2 slot, is what he's got. So [roll1] or [roll2] (wild) at cultist 4, and [roll3] or [roll4] (wild) at cultist 6. Damage for 1st is [roll5]+[roll6] and 2nd is [roll7]+[roll8].

Edited to add: no joker, and maybe one of these days Azrin's rolling will calm down, haha.

H. Von Studley
2019-06-15, 06:40 PM
Edmund manages to catch one blast on his shield, but flinches away as he realises he has left himself open for the second. He closes his eyes, bracing for hellfire, but opens them again as the enchanted bone deflects the blast harmlessly up into the ceiling. With a hurried thanks to Gorum for the magic, he turns his attention to the cultist in front of him.

He stares the man down, focusing on his movements and blocking out all other distractions. Sensing an opening, he uses his shield to blast aside the cultist's defences and stabs forward aggressively with his glaive.

Joker:[roll0]

Ed will attempt to use the Challenge maneuver as a buff action, then attack Cultist 4.

Maneuver check: [roll1]
Wild die: [roll2]

Glaive attack (+2 if Challenge is successful): [roll3]
Wild die: [roll4]

Glaive damage (+2 if Challenge is successful): [roll5]
Wild die: [roll6]

brandnewb
2019-06-17, 10:30 AM
When he sees the magic that is being cast toward his Captain Olivin immediately changes the focus of his attacks. Since the magic wielding cultists do not appear to have weapons he moves forward with an attempt to trip them with his whip, lashing out toward the closest member hoping to fling him backward. He attempts the direct the enemy toward a piece of furniture, hoping the enemy will strike his head on that or the floor.

joker
[roll0]

Wild
[roll1]

Disarm [roll2]
Damage [roll3] (Not sure about damage? Is it Stg or Agi I use for damage. I am using Agi to hit.)

RandomWombat
2019-06-19, 05:56 PM
To-hit for melee weapons is Fighting, and damage is Str+weapon damage. So damage would be a d10. I rolled it and got a 2, +1 from the whip is 3 damage.

Bolts of icy white energy arc out and strike two of the cultists, sending a deep chill through their bodies. One of them starts to generate hoarfrost on his hair, and collapses from the sheer cold.

Pressing forward against the chilled cultist, daring him to make a move, Edmund drives his glaive in deep and sends him to the floor.

The bartender lowers his weapon when the cultist hits the floor and runs back into the kitchen. Through the kitchen window, River can see him run past towards a side door.

Azrin casts Multi-Bolt, dealing 6 damage to Cultist 4 (Shaken) and 13 to Cultist 6 (Down).
Edmund uses Challenge, then deals 10 damage to Cultist 4 (Down).
Olivin whips Cultist 3, dealing 3 damage (no effect). The Cultist passes his opposed check to stay standing.

Bartender flees.

It is River's turn.

Link (https://i.imgur.com/HTYZcxQ.png)
https://i.imgur.com/HTYZcxQ.png

Olivin - 8
Edmund - 7
Bartender - 5
River - 2
Asmodean 2 - 2
Asmodean 3 - 2
Azrin - 1
Botticelli - Shifted

RandomWombat
2019-06-19, 07:31 PM
It is dark. It is not cold, but nor is it warm. Something feels deeply wrong. Eyes open, and the darkness is pierced, everything tinged an eerie pale green, but visible.

Robert Silver feels light on his feet, like he could float away on a breeze. He is wearing his naval uniform, but his skin, his body, his clothes, all are pale wispy white and translucent. He sees his pistol, a familiar and comforting sight, lying unharmed on a table beside him. However, he finds that he cannot reach for it. A mysterious force repels him.

Across from him in the small, dark shack, he can see Andrew Christof, gaunt, burned, and ragged, strapped to a table by many leather cords. Robert can see many stitches around Christof's neck.

Andrew Christof feels an aching hunger gnawing at his guts. His skin is tight and gaunt on his bones, looking almost anorexic. Beneath his skin he can see darkened veins on his wrists, and the backs of his hands. Some of his flesh shows burn scars. Andrew is still in his armor, bloody and acid-scarred after his battle with the mad berserker, Baldo. It is also stained with soot, and his uniform has burns around the edges, and scorched holes here and there. More worryingly, he is strapped to a table.

Across from him in the small, dark shack, he can see Robert Silver, an unnatural spectre of pale white, standing in the middle of a circle of salt. His signature pistol rests on a table beside him, just outside of the salt circle.

To Robert's right, Andrew's left, kneels a red-headed woman in a red silk dress. She heaves a deep breath and stands from the runic symbols she was kneeling before, raising her hands to sweep the hair from in front of her eyes. As she is about to speak, she is interrupted by a sudden wave of... something. Robert and Andrew suddenly feel even more unsettled and confused than they just were, as if they just forgot what they were doing.

Furrowing her brow, the woman grimaces and sneezes, a spray of bright red blood spurting from her nose and all over the floor. Coughing and burrying her nose in her elbow, she utters in disgust, "Ugh, hells, what- agh. Agh! Why didn't I have a cloth prepared for this?" Appearing just as confused with herself as the two men, she stumbles over to a cupboard nearby and plucks a rag cloth from it, wiping her face. "Fffk-" she utters a muffled curse into the cloth, spitting up more blood into it.

As flesh was chosen, Sir Christof has been raised as a Zombie.

As neither flesh nor no flesh was chosen, Robert Silver has been raised as a Ghost.

You may recreate these characters at Level 4.

Templates for both have been added to the General doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nGkNNiLzv5nLjVOvackRCO6uDQUOA4NduKT6iRGZBG0/edit).
You apply both your racial traits and your Undead Template traits.

Asma may also be converted at Level 4, for when her new system debut comes up.

Archemist
2019-06-19, 07:34 PM
Oh, sorry, lol - for some reason I'd thought the "bt" circle was Botticelli.

Aeryk
2019-06-21, 09:55 AM
River lets the bartender go, and scoops up Boticelli, then rushes to help his friends. Once he is in the hallway, he places the turtle on the ground so he is ready for action.

Andrew strains against his bonds and moans, looking to Robert for help. Seeing the salt circle, he looks around and spots the woman, and tests his voice. "What have you done to me?!", he attempts to say in anguish.

Ending River's movement just south of Edmund, making sure to stay out of view of the occupants of the room.

It will likely take some time before I get to Christof. Work is ramping up right now, even been having to take work home in the evenings. I will also be away visiting in-laws this weekend. Anyway, pretty sweet though, I was not expecting it at all :D Would 'no flesh' have been a skeleton?

RandomWombat
2019-06-22, 05:15 PM
Answering 'no flesh' would have been a Skeleton, yeah.

Letting the bartender go, River runs back to the others, carrying Botticelli with him. He sets the turtle down in the hallway, out of view of the cultists inside.

Olivin, caught in the fore of the group now, finds the two Asmodeans readying spells to hurl at him. A pair of caustic-green fireballs surge forward. One of them expands rapidly, knocking the other blast off course, but washing over Olivin violently.

Asmodean 2 casts Bolt at Olivin, Raising for 20 damage. Against his Resistance, this risks 3 Wounds.

To Soak an attack, he can spend a Benny to make a Vigor check, with a Wild Die, taking the better of the two dice. For every success, he soaks 1 incoming Wound. If he is able to clear all 3 incoming Wounds, he also clears Shaken automatically. If he takes any Wounds, he also remains Shaken, and will need to Recover on his turn (Spirit and Wild Die).
He is able to reroll the Soak check as many times as he has Bennies to try.

Asmodean 3 casts Bolt as well, but misses.

After Olivin makes his Soak attempt (or not), it is Azrin, Botticelli, Olivin, and Edmund's turns.

Link (https://i.imgur.com/H10or0U.png)
https://i.imgur.com/H10or0U.png

Olivin - 8
Edmund - 7
Bartender - 5
River - 2
Asmodean 2 - 2
Asmodean 3 - 2
Azrin - 1
Botticelli - Shifted

Still panting and recovering from her sudden fit, the woman turns to look at the two again. She wipes some blood from her face and scowls. Robert recognizes her as Sarah Nolee, one of the Mirorhenite refugees who returned with the Fog.

"What did I do? I dragged your carcass out of a burning building before you were made into a pile of ash," the woman answers Andrew's plea sharply. Softening her voice, she adds to Robert, "I wasn't able to get you out. But a new friend of mine was able to get your gun off of one of the men who dumped your bodies. It served as enough of a connector to draw your spirit back from, well, edge of Hell, frankly." She places a hand on her hip and flips her hair, "You're both welcome, by the way."

Sarah pulls up a wooden rocking chair and takes a seat. She sets the bloody rag on one of the handles and explains, "Just in case your memories are fuzzy... You two were killed in action fighting some Gorumite metalhead. He sent some of his boys to strip you of your valuables and burn your bodies."

Archemist
2019-06-22, 07:12 PM
Azrin shifts towards Botticelli, hoping to get a bead on any of the remaining cultists, weapon at the ready. Not seeing an easy line, he casts a bolstering spell on Ed instead.

Botticelli makes Encouraging Turtle Noises in thanks for the carry.

Joker roll: [roll0]

The crew get +1 to recover from Shaken (so Olivin on his turn, perhaps?). Turtle power!

Azrin casts Energize on Ed (so he gets a free soak attempt next time) (it's Touch range or I would go for Olivin). Azrin is at 15/20 PP now.

Edited to add: Azrin feels a surge of positive vibes! He doesn't seem to have a clear line for shooting with Ed and Olivin in the way, so instead he may just cast Aggressive Thundercloud into the room on top of Cultist #3, if he's in range.

brandnewb
2019-06-26, 06:38 AM
Robert stares in interest at the strange women vomiting blood onto the floor, then we he sees Christof he is immediately concerned. He begins looking for a way to escape his apparent prison, and is confused by the revulsion he has toward the circle of salt. “I will help you.” Robert says, but his voice falters when he hears the insubstantial and distant nature of his own voice. He feels as though he almost as has to struggle to interact with the world around him.

Robert will begin exploring his new abilities, beginning with hovering higher. Not sure how it works, can he keep gaining altitude or is he stuck a certain distance from the ground?

H. Von Studley
2019-06-30, 11:32 PM
As Azrin's spell drops the cultist, Edmund steps forward, holding his glaive out threateningly at the one man still standing. "Enough! It's over. Drop your weapon and lie down on the ground."

Prefer to take him alive- Ed will delay for now. If the cultist takes any aggressive action Ed will resume his turn. Does that work with SW rules?

RandomWombat
2019-07-01, 12:17 PM
A swirling storm of magic coalesces around one of the cultists, who twitches and drops his guard as electricity gathering within shocks and startles him. Taking advantage of his distraction, Azrin takes aim and squeezes off a shot. With a loud musket crack, the man drops to the ground.

The final cultist, alone, squares off, looking Edmund in the eye.

Edmund could attempt a Persuasion check to get the last one to surrender. Intimidate could also work.

Robert floats around inside of the confines of the salty prison, finding himself weightless. He seems to drift in whatever direction he wants to go, until he strikes that salt line.

The woman leans back into her chair as she watches him explore the confines of the circle. "Take it easy. Everything will be explained soon. We're just waiting for our last guests to arrive."

I'd say he can hit a maximum altitude of his Pace, so 6 squares up. Of course he can phase through ceilings within that range and then the range resets to the new surface beneath him.

The woman who had showed up to help Asma after she escaped from the fight club turned out to be Claudia, the High Priestess of Calistria.

Claudia explained that she was assisting the authorities with investigating subversive forces within the city, and the island at large. Asma was told to meet her at the Calistrian Temple the next day, if she is willing to continue helping unravel the forces that slew Robert and Andrew.

Will Asma answer the call?

H. Von Studley
2019-07-01, 06:11 PM
Edmund stares the man down, unwavering. "You help me, maybe there's some kind of life for you after all this is over. It's not worth dying right here, alone and forgotten. Last chance. Surrender."

As he speaks, his voice hums with divine power, lending it strength and conviction.

I'll attempt to cast Touch of Glory as a buff action for the Persuasion attempt.

Casting: [roll0]
Wild: [roll1]

Persuasion check (+3 if above casting is successful)
[roll2]
Wild: [roll3]

EDIT: Rolled aces in OOC. Total of of 14 to cast and 13 for Persuasion (including ToG).

Archemist
2019-07-02, 12:36 AM
Asma was told to meet Claudia at the Calistrian Temple the next day, if she is willing to continue helping unravel the forces that slew Robert and Andrew.

Asma shows up at the temple, eager. "I would avenge my friends - I dunno if this is capital-E Evil like the cultists but all the same it can't stand. I'm no detective, but I'll help however I can."

brandnewb
2019-07-02, 06:56 AM
Olivin is visibily shaken by the maelstrom of magic directed at him. He staggers for a moment, stepping to the side thus clearing the path for more to follow him through. After a moments pause he attempts to strike out at the same magic user as before in an attempt to trip him.
Trip [roll0] (I have +2 with whip mastery feats -2 from shaken makes no mondifier.)
Damage
[roll1] (+1 is from whip stuff, if the shaken applies to damage as well take that off)

Also Olivin has Improved First Strike (basically Savage worlds Attack of Opportunity feat) So if anyone is moving within Olivins reach Ima trip him too.)

RandomWombat
2019-07-08, 10:25 AM
The last cultist stagger steps aside from Olivin's whip, but hesitates at Edmund's words. He clutches his dagger in a whiteknuckled grip, staring the captain down. When Edmund's eyes do not waver first, he loosens his grip slowly, and drops the dagger on the ground. "Fine. Fine. I surrender."

Claudia is waiting inside the 'temple' lobby, a room that is all red silk and decorative curtains, patterned with provocative shapes and with several of Calistria's three daggered holy symbols hanging from the ceiling. The priestess stands up fluidly from the lobby couch she was lounging on and waves the elf at the front desk off before he an greet Asma. "She has an appointment."

"Miss Duolos," she greets Asma with a curtsy. "Follow me, if you would. Someone is waiting for us."

Asma is led out of the temple and away from port, into the city. As they pass through an alleyway with no prying eyes or ears, Claudia quietly explains, "We have reason to believe the Gorumite fight club you and your comrades investigated on the guard's behalf are involved in some way with the Asmodeans. Normally it would be a match made in... well, in Hell. The two agendas seldom overlap. Fortunately, we have stumbled into a perfect agent to learn more."

The halfling is led to a slummier side of town. It looks like there was recently a fire nearby, where city guardsmen search the wreckage for survivors. Thankfully the blaze did not spread to the other buildings. Claudia stops at a rickety looking old house. Claudia takes out a key and unlocks the door, pushing it open. "Not the finest digs I know. But it will have to do for now."

Inside, the building is empty save for spiders and cobwebs, and a trapdoor leading to a basement. It looks like it was once an impressive, large abode. But it has since fallen into disrepair.

Archemist
2019-07-09, 12:55 AM
Claudia stops at a rickety looking old house. Claudia takes out a key and unlocks the door, pushing it open. "Not the finest digs I know. But it will have to do for now."

Inside, the building is empty save for spiders and cobwebs, and a trapdoor leading to a basement. It looks like it was once an impressive, large abode. But it has since fallen into disrepair.

Asma gestures downward, questioning. She asks Claudia quietly, "Is there a secret knock? I love secret knocks." Asma checks the room out.

I'm spoiler-tag agnostic when it comes to Asma - I don't really mind if the rest of everyone follows along, unless you think it'd be confusing/distracting. I'll save the rolling of "Notice" for when you ask for it, also. At this point she's not really expecting traps out of Claudia, she trusts her ok, but just generally wants to take in the "digs."

brandnewb
2019-07-09, 06:34 PM
Robert gestures to christoff, "What have you done?" his voice is distant and wavering like it was muffled on the other side of a window or through water. "Can you hear me?" Robert asks Christoff. He will attempt to fly both up as far as he can go and down through the floor. "Who do we wait for?

RandomWombat
2019-07-09, 11:20 PM
When Robert flies upwards, he passes through the ceiling, entering an ill-maintained room in an abandoned, empty home. Empty that is save for the Calistrian high priestess and the halfling, Asma, with whom he faced off against the fight club leader Baldo. He finds that the boundary of the salt circle still holds him, even with the floor in the way.

"There is in fact a secret knoc-" Claudia is in the middle of answering when Robert's spectral form makes its appearance from below the floorboards. Despite herself, the priestess drops her normal collected composure and jumps back. "Gah- damn that woman, she forgot to salt the floorboards. There goes the surprise." With a sigh, Claudia lowers her guard and stomps on the floor. Once, then a pause, then twice.

There is a click from the trapdoor as it unlocks.

"Blast. I forgot to salt the floorboards," the mysterious red-haired woman comments as Robert's ghost ascends through the ceiling. She stands up and straightens out her dress as there is a stomping from upstairs. She holds up her pointer finger and advises Sir Christof, "I will be a moment. I need to let them in."

The woman steps out of the room and Christof can hear the telltale click of a lock unlocking.

Archemist
2019-07-10, 12:06 AM
When Robert flies upwards, he passes through the ceiling, entering an ill-maintained room in an abandoned, empty home. Empty that is save for the Calistrian high priestess and the halfling, Asma, with whom he faced off against the fight club leader Baldo. He finds that the boundary of the salt circle still holds him, even with the floor in the way.

"There is in fact a secret knoc-" Claudia is in the middle of answering when Robert's spectral form makes its appearance from below the floorboards. Despite herself, the priestess drops her normal collected composure and jumps back. "Gah- damn that woman, she forgot to salt the floorboards. There goes the surprise." With a sigh, Claudia lowers her guard and stomps on the floor. Once, then a pause, then twice.

There is a click from the trapdoor as it unlocks.

Asma, unlike Claudia, is not expecting spirits. She starts and brandishes her spear. "What in the name of Lamashtu is... is that Robert? Oh no! What have they done to you, Robert?" She still holds the spear and seems about ready to swish it through the air where his body should be, if only just to check if he's There.

brandnewb
2019-07-10, 06:37 PM
Christof is trapped downstairs. I can't leave this circle... You escaped? I am glad. I must seek vengence. You are a prisoner?" his voice holds the distant and insubstantial characteristics of an apirition. His pauses and unatural cadence suggest discomfort with his new found state of being as much as anything.
Robert calms down as he sees familiar faces, however he still eyes the others suspiciously.

"I can't cross salt? Can I still sail on the ocean?" Robert's voice holds a distinct note of regret.

RandomWombat
2019-07-11, 10:17 PM
"I don't know. You'll have to ask the necromancer," Claudia waves off the question flippantly, striding towards the trapdoor. "There's a reason you two were brought back this way, just hear us out. Come on down, both of you. Unless we shall yell at each other through the floorboards."

The priestess opens the now-unlocked trapdoor and descends down a ladder.

The red-haired woman returns, this time accompanied by a striking woman in a suit of sleek unadorned leather armor, with a holy symbol of Calistria hanging from her neck. She looks at Christof with pity in her eyes when she sees him strapped to the table. "I see you really did tie him down."

"You can never be sure if these warrior sorts will take a swing before questions can be asked and answered," the necromancer replies as she takes a seat in the old rocking chair again.

"Here," the Calistrian walks over to Andrew's table and takes hold of his straps. "Asma is here. You remember her? We're allies. Can I release you without worrying about trouble?"

Assuming confirmation is given, she undoes Andrew's bindings.

brandnewb
2019-07-13, 10:58 AM
Robert understands that resistance would likely be bith futile and pointless so he decends cooperatively back through the floor. He settles down near where the salt circle is. Knowing nothing about ghosts Robert starts attempting to do anything he has heard about in a fireside story.

He will attempt to use mage hand to pick something up beyond the barrier of the salt. I picked sorcery was not sure what bloodline gave what spells so I took every necromancy spell and mage hand cause I thought it would be thematic.

edit: spelling

Archemist
2019-07-13, 11:15 AM
Asma follows along down through the trapdoor. "Are... are you sure that's safe, Miss Claudia? Robert, Sir Andrew, do you remember who you are... or were?"

brandnewb
2019-07-16, 01:01 PM
Robart looks at Asma and nods. "I remember who I am,... and I also know Im going to kill that bastard." his voice is still awkward. But he is begining to gain confidence, or at least get used to the nature of his new voice.

"Are you alright? What happened after...?" Robert faulters with the statement uncomfortable with the thought that he is dead

Archemist
2019-07-16, 08:19 PM
"Are you alright? What happened after...?" Robert faulters with the statement uncomfortable with the thought that he is dead

Asma is not ready for this conversation. She is a strong, tough halfling normally, but she starts bawling. "I didn't want to leave you!" she wails. "There were just too many of them, and I barely made it out myself, and I'm so sorry..."

She takes a breath and blows her nose hard into her sleeve. "Ugh, ack, I'm sorry. I'm with you - let's get these bastards. You must be still around just to get revenge or something, I only hope you're not mad at me for letting you down, you know?"

brandnewb
2019-07-17, 02:24 PM
Robert shakes his head dismissively, “It was not your fault, I was careless. And I brought you there. If you had not escaped perhaps no one would have known what happened.” He looks at their apparent hosts and adds “I intend to pay them back. But I don’t know if that is ‘why’ I am here. I rather think it has more to do with these folks than some unfinished business from beyond the grave.”

Finally he looks to the necromancer and Priestess, “Maybe you can explain what is happening?”

Roberts voice is still awkward, and he falters sometimes in his speech. His voice is wispy and distant, insubstantial even. But he is now confident enough to speak conversationally.

RandomWombat
2019-07-22, 02:45 PM
Robert reaches out, focusing his mind beyond the salt circle, likely upon his pistol. The gun quivers and spins in place on the end table as its grip tries to move towards him. The salt circle appears to be interfering somehow, but he can feel a definite connection to the weapon.

Robert can attempt a Sorcery check to overcome the salt circle's boundaries with his Mage Hand. He gets a +1 bonus for targeting his soulbound item.

"The unfinished business certainly made it easier to draw your spirit back from the edge of the hereafter," the necromancer confirms, watching the gun spin on the table cautiously.

"My name is Claudia, for those I have not met yet, and this is Sarah," the Calistrian priestess motions to the necromancer in the chair. "She is one of the refugees from overseas. As she is familiar with Asmodeans, I have recruited her help investigating them."

"Hm, 'familiar', yes. I suppose my husband being one would make me 'familiar'," reaching into a pouch at her side, the necromancer pulls out an Asmodean unholy symbol, looking upon the trinket with distaste. She glances at the others and smiles, "An arranged marriage. Devil rest his soul, the sorry bastard did not survive the siege. Such a shame."

"We do have access to what appears to be a resurrection pit, but it too came from the Asmodeans. We don't know what its side effects might be, which is part of why we brought you back this way," Claudia explains, placing a hand on Andrew's shoulder. "My clerics are researching it as we speak to confirm how safe it is to use. And Mr. Silver... there was not much choice in the matter."

"Claudia wants us to work undercover in the Asmodeans," Sarah picks up the explanation. "I am familiar with their practices, and I have some of my late husband's old things. With you two as undead apparently under my control, we can get you in with me."

"And unlike the two of you, Miss Duolos is not yet a known face. The goal here will be to find out why the Asmodeans and Gorumites are working together, and drive a wedge between their literally damned alliance if possible," letting go of Andrew's shoulder, Claudia gives him some thinking space. "You are free to refuse. We can either... send you off again if you want, or in Sir Christof's case bring him back using the resurrection pit once it is ready."

brandnewb
2019-07-26, 01:16 PM
Robert squints as he focuses on his old pistol with determination, attempting to manipulate it’s movement. Although it seems like he may not have been paying attention he responds when the explanation is complete. “Sounds interesting, I mean the worst that could happen is I get killed right?” The dark joke is made with no small amount of bitterness, which can be heard in his voice despite it's ghostly insubstantial nature. “Are ghostly thralls smart enough to talk? Or should I be shutting up around people?” After a few more moments Robert grins, “You know I think I like this idea. I have been confined by the rules of military service for a long time. Evil undead devil-worshiping thrall might be an interesting change.”
If Robert finds he is able to manipulate the object he will bring it towards himself and the circle.

[roll0]

H. Von Studley
2019-07-26, 07:12 PM
The last cultist stagger steps aside from Olivin's whip, but hesitates at Edmund's words. He clutches his dagger in a whiteknuckled grip, staring the captain down. When Edmund's eyes do not waver first, he loosens his grip slowly, and drops the dagger on the ground. "Fine. Fine. I surrender."

Ed advances toward the cultist, glaive levelled and shield held high. He kicks the dagger away, sending it spinning into the corner. "On your knees, now. What were you all meeting here for?"

RandomWombat
2019-07-27, 10:30 AM
Robert's will prevails, and despite the salt circle the weapon flies across the threshold and into his hand. The necromancer seems concerned with the development, but Claudia simply kicks the salt circle, breaking the boundaries and allowing Robert free passage out. "Andrew here is free, no reason we need to keep Mister Silver restrained."

"Right," Sarah regains her composure to answer Robert's questions, "Most corporeal undead are mindless. Some ghosts are so consumed by say, revenge, that they cease to have any mental capacity beyond it. But you two I expended a little more effort and finesse in crafting." She reaches up to scratch away the dried blood under her nose, grimacing. "I will be telling the Asmodeans that the two of you are not mindless, but are my loyal thralls, by way of a spell to control undead. In truth, even I am not talented enough to keep such a spell going flawlessly twenty-four-seven, but they don't need to know that."

The cultist slowly gets to his knees, eyes following the dagger as it scatters away before looking back up at Edmund. "Someone went missing."

H. Von Studley
2019-07-28, 07:14 PM
"Who went missing? And why are they important enough to warrant a meeting as big as this one?"

RandomWombat
2019-07-29, 02:41 PM
"Our cell leader's younger brother," the cultist answers, still looking Edmund in the eye. "... He went missing from home. We suspect it was a kidnapping."

H. Von Studley
2019-07-29, 06:45 PM
Edmund stares right back, careful to keep his expression blank. "Little brother huh? Awfully sentimental of you. I wouldn't have thought covert meetings for a search and rescue would be high on the cult priority list. Who is this cell leader of yours?"

brandnewb
2019-07-30, 07:30 AM
Olivin walks to the side of the room, his whip still in hand. His movement is stiff from the wounds he has taken. He is looking for any undiscovered threat. Hearing the explanation Olivin shakes his head skeptically. If he spots no threat Olivin wordlessly walks over and frisks the body of the unconscious cultists.

brandnewb
2019-07-30, 11:41 AM
Robert tests out the broken barrier, floating through the room. He continues to use mage hand to hold his pistol. His hand can’t actually seem to touch the weapon and he is confused for a moment, then chooses to have mage hand float the object apparently in his grip. Since this feels like the right thing to do, however he can tell it is entirely a vanity. Tentatively he walks through a piece of furniture, holding the pistol above so it just floats past.

“Wow, good luck keeping me out of a building now.” Finally he turns to the necromancer suspiciously. “What are the downsides to this? What is the catch? Right now it seems to me like a ghost would have been very useful in the town guard. And I know a few good fellas I trust who would have loved the chance for a second run at the ones who killed them. There must be a reason it is not common.”

RandomWombat
2019-08-02, 11:04 AM
"Him," the cultist nods towards one of the dead bodies. River recognizes it as the one with the transforming outfit. As Olivin searches the corpses, he finds hidden unholy symbols, their ceremonial daggers, and a Scroll of Sending. The cultist that is supposedly their leader is wearing a pair of sleeves that don't seem attached to the rest of his outfit. When they are removed, his ordinary streetwear transforms into a black hooded robe, and Olivin finds himself holding a pair of seemingly unremarkable brown sleeves.

"The brother's one of ours'," after a moment of Edmund probably expectantly wanting more, the cultist elaborates. "Can't have him talking if somebody captured him. Whether we rescue him or... not, is what we met to decide."

Robert's body passes through the small end table, temporarily becoming misty and indistinct where he intersects with the solid object. It feels... something. Ticklish, or just tingly, maybe?

At his question, the necromancer rolls her eyes. "Ghosts? Not a lot of downside... besides the risk of eventually going insane if you let your bitter business rule you. Giving in to that can lead to becoming a wraith. The corporeal undead are often more troublesome," she pauses and looks over at Andrew. "Mindless ones will just attack or eat anything. And if you have your mind, like you do, you'll start to feel the hunger for flesh. Don't look sour - animal flesh can halt the craving perfectly fine, you don't need to eat anybody. I'm sure a valiant knight like yourself will have no problems with self-control, yes?"

H. Von Studley
2019-08-06, 09:53 PM
Edmund stares at the cultist. "And what about the rest of you? The rest of the cell?"

Ed doesn't know if there are any others or not, but he doesn't want the cultist to know that.

RandomWombat
2019-08-09, 02:18 PM
"All over," the cultist answers matter-of-factly. "We have agents just about everywhere, and that's just our cell. There's no use trying to root them all out, you won't succeed." Despite his precarious position, he boasts confidently.

Aeryk
2019-08-10, 04:24 PM
River joins Edmund and eyes the cultist warily, ready to strike him if he tries to pull anything below board.

Andrew struggles against his bonds, trying to find his bearings. When everyone enters the room he stops and watches expectantly. "I...er, yes... I think... How long have I been gone? What's wrong with my body...? I feel... different..."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-12, 12:10 AM
"So there are more of your cell here in Aigodon then? Where? How many?"

RandomWombat
2019-08-12, 01:41 PM
"Twenty five. In every major business and organization," the man answers. To Edmund and River, his answer seems to come a little to quickly, like the answer is rehearsed.

H. Von Studley
2019-08-12, 06:00 PM
Edmund lifts his glaive and rests the long blade on the kneeling man's shoulder. The honed edge glints an inch from his throat. "You want to try that again?"

RandomWombat
2019-08-12, 06:16 PM
The cultist looks down at the gleaming blade at his throat, considering it. "No," he answers after a moment's thought, closing his eyes.

H. Von Studley
2019-08-12, 06:27 PM
Edmund pauses for a long, tense moment, before finally lifting the glaive off the cultist's shoulder and returning it to the sheath on his back. "Your choice then. Though I can't promise that the Aigodon guards will ask as politely as me.

"We found one of your symbols at the site where the riots broke out earlier this week. Why are the Asmodeans stirring up trouble in the protests?"

RandomWombat
2019-08-13, 11:51 AM
This time, when the Asmodean opens his eyes, they look confused. "We are not. At the very least, my cell has nothing to do with it."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-13, 06:57 PM
"Well then someone wants to make it look like you're the ones responsible. Who would want to do that? And why?"

Is there a sense motive equivalent in SW? I don't think I have the right skill. How do we know if someone is lying?

RandomWombat
2019-08-13, 08:02 PM
"My bet would be on whoever actually did rile up the protestors," the cultist answers somewhat sarcastically, scowling. "What I can tell you, it wasn't likely any other cults to dark powers. There's something of a truce right now. So if somebody set us up, my finger would point at one of the 'good guys'. Whatever that means to you."

The equivalent would be Persuasion to bluff vs Notice. I'd probably also allow Streetwise to work for detecting bluff attempts, so whichever is higher of Notice and Streetwise.

H. Von Studley
2019-08-14, 12:46 AM
"What cults? Why would you have a truce with anyone?"

Ed doesn't have a notice die, so I might leave that to someone else.

brandnewb
2019-08-14, 07:39 AM
"They have brought us back from the dead, you are a zombie. Apparently you will start feeling a hunger for flesh soon. I say we go find you some cultists to eat. We are intended to pretend we are undead minions to trick the cultists. Robert grins at his potentially unwelcome dark humor. "But really, what is next?

brandnewb
2019-08-14, 07:49 AM
Olivin listens to the claims of the cultist skeptically. "I don't think we c'n trust a word he is sayin', let me loosen 'is tongue a bit. When da orcs had me a slave they showed me how to make folks talk. I don' feel bad tryin' it out on this scum It'll just keep others safe. Olivin pulls his cat'o'nine out and looks around. "What c'n we tie 'im to? He'd kill you without a worry. So don' fuss about using his own medicine on him."

RandomWombat
2019-08-14, 06:58 PM
"Everyone," the cultist answers, as if surprised Edmund isn't aware. "Are the servants of other gods not aware yet, or do they simply not care...? The servants of the dark powers stand ready to go to war with the Strix, if we had the means to get there. It's the creatures they're creating en masse - have you heard of them, these Blessed Ones?"

He looks over at Olivin's whips with the contempt of a noble eyeing a rival in last month's fashion. "Save the threats. I think what we have here is a case of many sides trying to do the same thing and nobody communicating with each other." Looking up at Edmund again, he explains further, "These creatures are no ordinary undead. They're designed to siphon the Evil from the universe. And when I say 'Evil', I mean with a capital 'E'."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-14, 10:38 PM
Ed's brow furrows. "Siphon the Evil from the universe? What does that even mean?"

brandnewb
2019-08-15, 11:29 AM
Olivin looks at the cultist skeptically, and a little bit amused “If they had the means to get their? So they just lack a boat is that wha’ your sayin? All the evil cults of the Dragon Empire united in purpose but they can’t find a boat. Can’t find one corrupt navy officer ta crew a boat. Or find the means ta buy one.”

Olivin turns to his Captain, “Ya should be proud Sir, must be the best behaved Navy in the whole world. The combined might of every evil cult and they can’t seduced one Cap’in. Heck you don’t even need ta trick the Cap’in just the guy making the crew manifest. Heck not even the guy makin the manifest, just the guy deliverin’ the manifest ta switch it with their own. Back home half the navy was corrupt drunk bastards just lookin to make us merchantmen have a terrible day.”

Olivin looks back to the cultist “But please, tell me ‘bout this evil. And how it is tha true evil with a capital E, and you are da misunderstood good guys. Oh also explain how slithering around abducting people was the best way for you to be the good guys.”

Olivin is clearly not having any of it.

RandomWombat
2019-08-15, 10:43 PM
"My, thank you, oh master tactician. If only we had someone like you on our side we would be on the water already," the cultist snarks back at Olivin, looking at him with a superior sneer. "When the navy has a grand total of five warships and one of them is missing, options are limited and they are watched as by a hawk."

Rolling his eyes, the man turns his attention back to Edmund and the others. "You should keep your subordinates muzzled if they don't know how to let the one in charge speak. I'm not saying we're the good guys, I'm saying we have a common enemy, but the Emperor will never accept our aid. To you I'm certain it seems too good to be true, just keep some undead Strix in boxes and wipe out Evil. But it's not that simple. The balance of the Material Plane, Good to Evil, Law to Chaos, it helps keep worse things at bay. Makes them play by the rules if they want in. The Strix are taking energy out of that system that can not be replaced very easily." The cultist looks around at the party, standing over him - save for Azrin, who is about at eye level. "This truth is not a secret Asmodeus, or any god, would part with lightly. I am not high in the food chain. The fact that I know this should tell you how serious this is."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-15, 11:03 PM
Rolling his eyes, the man turns his attention back to Edmund and the others. "You should keep your subordinates muzzled if they don't know how to let the one in charge speak."

Edmund fires back as the Asmodean rebukes Olivin. "And you should watch your tongue if you prefer that he doesn't whip the skin from your back."

When the man mentions the Strix in a box, Ed pales slightly. So they know about Gentius? Just how deeply have they infiltrated us?

"If this balance of yours is so precious, why are they trying to destroy it? And how? Are you saying that they are drawing on this energy to create the Blessed Ones?"

Aeryk
2019-08-16, 08:56 PM
River stands with Edmund and Olivin watching the exchange quietly, but ready in case things get too heated. The idea of cooperating with such a foul character makes River's skin crawl, but he keeps his peace.

Notice roll:[roll0]
Wild Die: [roll1]

"I see... I... think I do sense a strange hunger..." Christof groans heavily and stands up, testing his mobility, then looks around. "Well, I suppose we had better be about it. I can't have this brigands running amok in the city!"

RandomWombat
2019-08-19, 08:53 PM
The cultist glares out of the corner of his eye at Olivin, but silences his tongue for now. "I can't speak to the Strix's motivation. It appears not a single one is an agent of Asmodeus. I'm not sure whether we should be offended, or impressed." He lifts his head up and sighs, "As far as how they're made, we know nothing. Only that once they are made, they are akin to a hole. Evil drains into them like water, and seemingly goes nowhere. Either it's all stuffed up inside of them and they're all walking bombs of dark energy, or they convert it into something else. The only way to patch the hole is to kill the Blessed One."

"Excellent, I'm glad to have you boys both on board," clapping her hands together, Sara stands up and brushes her hair out of her face. "We can't have you two walking around town all dead though can we? We've prepared a new suit of knightly armor for you, sir," she motions to Claudia, who raises an eyebrow at the idea that Sara is trying to give her an order. Sara rolls her eyes and picks up a pile of armor from the floor in the corner, carrying it over to Andrew. A new uniform, breastplate and helmet to replace his old ones. These ones are unadorned, bearing no markings of the Blue Rose.

"And you have it easy," Sara turns to Robert. "You can haunt your gun, and one of us can carry you. Try it. Just let your consciousness float into the gun. You will still be able to sense your surroundings."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-20, 10:48 PM
Edmund glances behind him, aware that there may be curious guardsman arriving before too long. "If I accept that, then what are the Asmodeans and these other cults planning to do? How are you all coordinating efforts? If you can't access a ship, how will you stop them? And if that truly is your goal, why are there Asmodeans elsewhere causing so much trouble? The doll thing in Stalling, for example."

brandnewb
2019-08-21, 02:55 PM
Robert looks at the pistol quizzically, not at all confident. Then attempts to focus his attention on the weapon so that he can move his consciousness into it. Once his consciousness successfully moves into it he beings experimenting with the ability.

Sorry I thought I used up power points per round if I wanted to posses the weapon. If he can stay in it forever that is handy. What interactions with it require the use of PP?

Aeryk
2019-08-21, 04:05 PM
Andrew sighs and begins strapping the new equipment on, adjusting the fit for ease of movement. "Am I not to represent the Order anymore then? I've taken an oath, you know. I mean, I could just wear a full helm and gloves, keep myself covered. And my chain of command will be wondering after me as well."

RandomWombat
2019-08-24, 10:26 PM
"If I had to hazard a guess, the dolls were an attempt to gain leverage to demand ships," the Asmodean answers, shaking his head. "The king and admiral might not resist with the children of the city - and of many influential persons - as hostages."

"To my knowledge, those cooperating right now are the followers of Asmodeus, Norgorber, Urgathoa, and even a cult of Lamashtu," he pointedly avoids using the term 'cult' until that last one. "A summit is being organized to decide what to do. If you are willing to entertain cooperation I may be able to secure one of you a place there, but the representative would need to go alone," the man looks around skeptically at the others. "Whichever of you that would be."

Claudia helps Andrew get his armor on, doing up the clasps and adjusting it. "Do you want your comrades to see you like this?" she asks, softly and sympathetically. "Besides, it is a crest that draws attention and questions. Better to leave it behind for now. I can get into contact with the king's advisor, and ensure that records list you as somewhere else on an assignment. That way any friends or family will not worry you are dead or missing."

"What are the terms of your oath?" Sarah asks, while she watches Robert's spirit spiral around and drain into the gun, lifting it into the air. "You will be playing the part of bodyguard. I'll do what I can to avoid situations where your oath would be tested."

As Robert's bond item to the material plane, he is able to possess his pistol at no cost.

brandnewb
2019-08-28, 06:03 AM
Robert chuckles from within the pistol. "Feel free to send me into the morally ambiguous situations. He begins testing out his control of the weapon. "Is there a limit to how far away from this pistol I can get? What happens if they destroy it?"

brandnewb
2019-08-28, 06:22 AM
Olivin looks at the devil worshiper skeptically "Ya be workin with worshippers of lamashtu? At least Asmodeans c'n be expected ta honour a promise, however they may twist the meaning. That's pretty ill advised. The demon worshippers probably actively planning to destroy all of us when this is over.

RandomWombat
2019-08-28, 04:39 PM
"I'm inclined to agree," the Asmodean responds calmly, "Demons and those who follow their example can rarely be trusted, and never long-term. But we are willing to hear what they have to say or offer at this summit, at the very least."

"You don't need to stay close to it, but I wouldn't advise losing track of it. Should it be destroyed, so too will your link to the material plane, leaving you to plummet to Hell," Sarah explains.

Aeryk
2019-08-29, 06:11 PM
"I suppose you're right," Andrew says to Claudia with resignation, then answers Sarah, "Bodyguard I can handle. Generally speaking my oaths bind me to resolve situations peacefully and only to resort to violence as a last resort, to protect and help the injured, the defenseless, and captives, whether friend or foe. I thank you for not pushing me. I take my oaths very seriously, and I would sooner die than violate them." Andrew looks around wistfully then asks, "I don't suppose someone could fetch my horse, Isabelle, from the stables?"

H. Von Studley
2019-08-29, 06:41 PM
Edmund nods along, clearly agreeing with Olivin's scepticism. "And when is this Summit to take place? Who will represent the Asmodeans?"

brandnewb
2019-08-29, 07:21 PM
If it gets destroyed I go to hell eh." there is a pause from the voice in the weapon for several moments, "Sorry for the string of questions... how readily known or common is it that a ghost has a bonded item like that? Will my enemies be searching for it? Also what about me? I am guessing that some type of magic can damage me. What happens if I am 'killed'? there is another pause. "I need to find somewhere to hide this thing. Is there a limit on how far away from it I can go?"

RandomWombat
2019-08-29, 08:08 PM
"The Summit is to take place at the fortress of a mercenary company we've hired to keep the event secure and... civil," he answers, chuckling a little to himself. "Ironic, mercenaries led by a Gorumite hired to keep the peace. Then again, treaties are all a part of war, are they not?" The man looks up with a smirk. "They are called the Iron League. Their fortress is east of the city, and north of the tunnel through the mountains. Our representative's true identity is unknown to me. We know him by the name of the Red Councillor."

"You can be temporarily banished if you suffer too much strain," Sarah steps forward and reaches out for the pistol, to test its weight in her hand. "You will have to instruct me how to hold this correctly, that I do not look the fool toting it around. As for what happens when you suffer too much strain, your spirit form will be unable to manifest. You will go into a dormant state within the vessel until you recover enough to manifest again."

Claudia places a hand on Andrew's shoulder, "Certainly. I will have her delivered to you as soon as I can." She turns to face Asma, "As for your part in this, we will be keeping some of my girls in reserve. The cavalry, so to speak, should something go wrong as it did last time. Would you be willing to go along with them?"

Archemist
2019-08-29, 08:57 PM
Azrin listens along, trying hard to follow the intricacies of a multi-cult alliance.

Asma nods to Sarah. "I could come along with them, but I'd hate to miss all the action. It's okay. And it's good to see you... on your feet again, Sir Andrew."

H. Von Studley
2019-08-29, 09:29 PM
Edmund listens closely, taking it all in. "And when is the Summit due to occur?"

brandnewb
2019-08-29, 10:28 PM
"You can be temporarily banished if you suffer too much strain," Sarah steps forward and reaches out for the pistol, to test its weight in her hand. "You will have to instruct me how to hold this correctly, that I do not look the fool toting it around. As for what happens when you suffer too much strain, your spirit form will be unable to manifest. You will go into a dormant state within the vessel until you recover enough to manifest again."

Claudia places a hand on Andrew's shoulder, "Certainly. I will have her delivered to you as soon as I can." She turns to face Asma, "As for your part in this, we will be keeping some of my girls in reserve. The cavalry, so to speak, should something go wrong as it did last time. Would you be willing to go along with them?"

"I can show you the basics, it is strange I feel like I have lost part of me. I think the muscle memory from long practice did not follow me past the grave. I will need to entirely re-learn how to fire this thing. Levitating a pistol is completely different than holding it in the hand. But you don't need to carry it visibly really. In fact it may be better if it is not obviously visible, don't want them suspecting what it is. I am going to need to research some means of hiding it. Robert signs audibly "As a guard I was always happy to leave the magic mumbo to others, it appears I have to start learning."

Robert manifests himself outside of the pistol again so he is in the room. "I am going to go take a fly around here. See about learning the tricks of this ghost thing.Don't worry I will avoid making a scene. But I don't want the first time I am trying stuff to be when you need me to contribute to a fight. Where and when do you want to meet up again? Anything I need to know before I go?

No need to RP it, Robert is going to test how far he can get from the item. And play with traveling through walls, flying and avoiding being seen. All the stuff a person would do when they discovered they had new found ghost powers. If he has time he is also going to go find a book about magic to read up about magically concealing items.

RandomWombat
2019-08-31, 10:41 AM
"Tomorrow night. The fort is less than a day away by wagon, a day away by foot."

"I wouldn't count out action," Claudia grins and pounds her fist into her palm. "Once we know what they're up to, there'll be plenty of ass to kick."

"Where am I to stuff it?" crossing her arms, Sarah gives Robert a skeptical look. "Ugh, you know, now that you mention it, they're probably going to give me awful cultist robes."

Robert soon departs to explore his new powers, haunting the city.

H. Von Studley
2019-09-02, 11:01 PM
Edmund nods, having heard enough to go on for now. "Alright. Last question. What in the hells was that earthquake thing when we entered the room. Was that your people?"

Okay, so in summary

- Asmodeans claim they didn't start the riots - someone else was framing them, like Grune suspected
- All the dark cults are talking about working together against the Strix
- Whatever the Strix are doing in creating Blessed Ones is unbalancing the forces of the world, so badly that even the bad guys are worried. If true, this is huge. Rather than just the invasion of a foreign country this might be the basis for an apocalyptic-level threat
- There is a meeting between the cults tomorrow night to discuss this further and potentially form an alliance. This will take place in a fort outside of town. We are invited(ish) although attending is obviously hugely dangerous.

Does that sum things up accurately RW?

RandomWombat
2019-09-04, 02:06 PM
"Earthquake," the man's eyes cloud over, blank as a corpse's. He looks down at the floor silently, moving his mouth and trying to form words. "I... don't remember any earthquake. Are you sure you aren't mistaken?"

That would be an apt summary of what you've been told.

H. Von Studley
2019-09-11, 12:21 AM
Edmund frowns, surprised at the man's reaction. Honest or not, he's had an answer for everything else so far. Why lie about this? Did he really not feel it?

Pushing the thought aside for the moment, he turns to the others. "Let's get him tied up. Someone has probably called the guard by now, but I'm going to go make sure. It's time we checked back in with the Councillor."

Sheathing his glaive, but holding onto his shield for now, Edmund heads outside to the street to look for a guard.

brandnewb
2019-09-11, 07:13 AM
Olivin nods and begins to tie up the cultist, making sure the knots are good and firm. "Whats with the eye-roll thing when the Captain asked you that question? he enquirers with the cultist during the process. Olivin is not strictly speaking mean to the man as he ties him up, but he certainly does not take it easy in making sure the ropes are tight enough.

RandomWombat
2019-09-11, 07:01 PM
The cultist looks up at Olivin in confusion at his question, as if nothing had happened just then. He scoffs as Olivin tightens his bonds painfully, visibly fighting the instinct to wince in order to look tough. "Your mind is playing tricks on you, lackey."

Stepping out into the hallway, Edmund can see a group of three elven guards coming in from the bar section of the establishment. Their blades are already drawn, and one of the younger ones readies himself in a defensive stance as Edmund steps out of the room. Another reaches over and lowers the rookie's arm. "Stand down. This is the one working with Councillor Grune." The elf steps forward and offers a hand, "Guardsman Dan'el. Some frightened citizens reported an armed bar fight. Is everything under control here?"

H. Von Studley
2019-09-11, 10:45 PM
Edmund nods, letting his shield hang loosely by his side as he approaches the group of guards. "Thank you Guardsman. Under control for now, but things got a bit messy in there. I've got half a dozen dead cultists and a prisoner for urgent transport to the main guardhouse. We've also got another prisoner back at the guard post across from the scriptorium that we'll need moved as well. Can you and your men handle that while we go find the Councillor?"

RandomWombat
2019-09-12, 12:32 AM
Dan'el motions to the other senior guardsman, "Secure the prisoner." He turns back to Edmund and nods, "Understood. We will ensure the prisoners are contained. You should go to city hall; if the Councillor is not there, one of their assistants should know his whereabouts."

The guard leads the Asmodean out of the room, the younger one moving over to flank him on the other side. The two wait for Dan'el's word to move out. "If there is nothing else..?" the elf asks.

After their business is concluded the guards go on their way, leaving the crew to their own business.

H. Von Studley
2019-09-12, 01:09 AM
Ed shakes his head. "No. Thank you for your help. And a word of advice - be careful moving him, and even more careful guarding him. We had a nasty attempted prison break last time we took one of these cultists into custody in Stalling. Watch him closely, and watch each other's backs. There are more of them out there."

If no one else has anything for Dan'el and his men, Ed will lead the crew back towards city hall.

RandomWombat
2019-09-13, 09:30 AM
With no other business to conclude at the inn, the party makes their way back to the city center. They pass by other mysterious accidents caused by the 'earthquake'; someone who had been on a ladder trimming hedges fell and hurt their arm, and is being helped to a temple; someone who had been painting a new store sign dropped their paint and spilled it all over, splattering the wall and window of their store.

Yet despite these pieces of evidence, most people appear unfazed by the incident, going about their days as normal. There is no panic or discussion of the event in the street.

Upon arriving at the city hall, the party finds that the Emperor is again seated outside with his head stuck comically into the window.

Archemist
2019-09-13, 06:04 PM
Azrin stifles a giggle at the Emperor's state. He prestidigitates some of the grime of battle off his fellow soldiers, and then says, "AHem, Captain - before we head in - just to be clear, I'm not turning into a carriage again, so we'll need to find some other transport to this meeting. And, um, are you going to tell the Emperor about the potential offer from the demons? I kinda don't think he'd be happy about that, so I'd be hesitant to ask. I'm not sure I want to have to ask forgiveness afterwards, either, though."

H. Von Studley
2019-09-16, 09:01 PM
Edmund stops a moment, considering Azrin's advice. "Good point. I didn't think of that, but you're probably right. He won't be thrilled to hear about it. I'm not sure what choice we have though - I think everyone needs to know, even if it just means we can bring the guard to arrest the lot of them.

"What do you think about taking the Asmodeans up on their offer to attend? It seems insane, but a part of me is tempted. The potential intel might be worth the risk."

brandnewb
2019-09-17, 09:28 AM
Olivin considers this for a moment before responding. “Look maybe I be too skeptical, but I don’ trust ‘em. They will work with us well enough maybe, but we’ve bin fighting ‘em for weeks now. Suddenly we are supposed ta believe they just wan’ to friends. Odd way ta seek an alliance. If we do work with ‘em we need to be ready for ‘em subverting us at every turn. We kill all his friends, an’ take ‘im prisoner. Course he is claiming it’s all a missunderstandin” Olivin nods emphatically, like his is talking himself out of his own doubts, “Ya should tell yer Emperor, let ‘im decide.”

Aeryk
2019-09-26, 01:18 PM
River has been keeping his silence on the matter until now, simply thinking about everything. "I have to agree with Olivin sir, I don't think it's wise to be hiding anything from the Emperor. I feel like if we got mixed up in anything it would come back on us."

RandomWombat
2019-09-26, 01:32 PM
After some uncertain discussion outside of the City Hall, the crew steps inside the reception area. The attendants recognize their stand-out appearance and nod them through. One of them comments, "Nothing to do with Aigodon."

Inside, only part of the city council is present discussing matters with the Emperor, looming above through the window. Councilman Grune is here, along with Friedrich Basil, and so are the two Silver Mountain representatives - Azrin's cousin Delvin, and Mikhail Quartzer. Lastly, King Mariner is also present, and motions for the crew to come and sit near him.

Azrin spies his cousin Delvin's usually cheerful face, and sees that it is awash with concern. He looks to Azrin with an expression of sympathy.

"If the gates are closed, the best way to get in is from below," Representative Quartzer is in the middle of speaking when the crew arrives. "They are dwarven craftsmanship. Sturdy. More importantly, if we break in, it will take an extremely long time to repair the gates."

"We can't waste time going around, it could take a week to traverse the deep tunnels. We could bore through the doors in a day or two," Delvin insists, arguing with his fellow Representative.

"We have new guests," the Emperor's voice states smoothly, but authoritatively, in no small part because of his sheer size and the breath of cool air that accompanies his exhalation. "Perhaps we should enlighten them to the issue. If you would, Representative Bluestone."

Delvin quiets, as does the dwarf beside him, and he nods. "Yes, Emperor." He turns to face Edmund's crew, though he seems to be speaking primarily to Azrin, "For about a week now there has been no communication in or out of the city of Thel Ghon, in the Silver Mountains. The city gates are closed and barred from the inside. We don't know exactly how long it's been, but word came through traders who were constantly being turned away at the gate with no response and complained to the Silver Mountain Economics Board."

"A messenger arrived to notify the Representatives here, and the Emperor. We were also discussing if there is anything the other nations can do to help," Treasurer Basil explains, adjusting a pair of spectacles on his face when he looks up from a clipboard in his hands.

"And frankly we are too spread thin already," Grune comments, aside, as if to dissuade Basil from considering sending any resources.

Thel Ghon is the city where Azrin's father lives, and where the family company's operational headquarters is located.

H. Von Studley
2019-09-26, 10:11 PM
What did the attendant mean by that? "Nothing to do with Aigodon"

Edmund nods gravely. "We may need to prepare ourselves to be spread even thinner. My crew and I bring troubling news from our investigation into the cultists. We managed to track an Asmodean cell to a tavern on the other side of the city. Unfortunately they attacked us, and we were forced to fight. Most of them were killed, including their leader, but we captured one. He in the custody of the guard now.

"I'm sure your men will be able to learn more once they interrogate him more fully, but we did get some useful intel from our brief questioning."

If the group seems receptive, Ed launches into an explanation of what they had learned, including the framing of the Asmodeans for the riots, the temporary alliance between cults, the existential threat posed by the Strix, and the upcoming meeting and invitation.

"The man seemed to be telling the truth, but in my experience it's never usually the whole truth with these types. Either way, it further underscores the gravity of the Strix threat, and leaves us with a difficult decision to make now."

RandomWombat
2019-09-26, 10:23 PM
As in the meeting didn't have anything to do with things in the city itself.

brandnewb
2019-09-29, 08:55 PM
Olivin follows Ed into the meeting and stands behind him listening. He nods confirming everything his captain says, then dares to comment. "Me Lord, if I may be so bold as ta comment. I be Olivin, serving with the navy and a refugee from Alynnon" His accent and broken common make his origin obvious to anyone who knows the region. But evidently Olivin feels he needs to explain. "I would'nt trust em an inch, however we know now how active they claim ta be. And they claim they wanted to fight the Stix. It might be best to cooperate with em, bring em inta the open. Ya still have ta watch yer back, but at least ya can put a face ta some of em. Maybe figure out how deep tha rot goes."

Archemist
2019-09-29, 11:30 PM
Azrin pulls Delvin aside. "And there was no forewarning at all? No strange rumors, no nothing?" He is quite puzzled, but determined. "We should definitely just try going straight in the doors - they can be repaired, and it may be that the greatest threat to the city is already inside. If anyone voices an objection from within, we can hold them to account for causing all this concern.

"What do we need to make this happen?" he asks. "I and the crew may have other matters to attend to on the morrow but I see the wisdom in what you are suggesting."

RW, I'm not sure if you'd intended this as a side-mission, or for after the cultists, perhaps.

RandomWombat
2019-09-30, 05:52 PM
The ball is, as always, in your court.

Azrin confers with Delvin in hushed tones while Edmund and Olivin relay the news to the Emperor.

"There were complaints in the company about poor response times, for important issues," the other gnome explains, placing a comforting hand on Azrin's arm and giving it a squeeze. "With everything else going on..." he shakes his head ruefully. "I want to get in there and see what happened to Uncle Palo and the others. The dwarves are stonewalling things, they don't want to break down the city gate for fear of the war that might come."

The Emperor's reptilian eyes narrow at the news, "Of course it seemed to be the truth. The Prince of Lies is known as such for a reason, Captain. You are right to be skeptical." The dragon raises up his head, moving back before letting out an irate snort of freezing air, so as not to leave frost on the hair and beards of the assembled. "This meeting may be a trap... If it is not, we would have a chance to uproot the poisonous influence of all manner of subversive organizations."

"It is worth the risk, in my opinion," Grune chimes in, inclining his head to Edmund and his crew. "These men have given us results, and in record time. I am inclined to trust their judgement."

"As am I, liege," King Mariner speaks up in agreement.

Edmund feels the Emperor's gaze rest on him directly - he feels as though the dragon's gaze rests on his tattoo. Then it shifts to Olivin, "Man of Alynnon. You would have us cooperate with these devils, give them what they want, even for a moment? Their poisonous influence seeps into everything they touch. Captain Grimace. Are you of mind with your fellow?"

brandnewb
2019-10-02, 11:50 AM
Me Lord, Olivin shakes his head, “Give ‘em what they want? I’m no fool, they want ta destroy us all and control everyone. Every time we talk to ‘em we needs remember that…. But before now did we know how deep tha rot went? Or that more ‘in one of the dam cults are here? Make ‘em come in the open hat in hands. And we know, fer every one of ‘em we can see there be another in the shadows. But ya need ta find the nest ta kill the rats.”

H. Von Studley
2019-10-15, 11:03 PM
Edmund nods, agreeing with Olivin. "I am. We would be fools to trust them, but I would not miss this opportunity. For all their faults, they are cunning, well-informed, and well-connected. Let us see what they know, and what they plan to do."

Sorry for the long gap in posting everyone, in this and in our other games. I had a few family things come up, which are all resolved now, but made it a bit tricky to find time and head space to play.

Archemist
2019-10-15, 11:19 PM
Sorry for the long gap in posting everyone, in this and in our other games. I had a few family things come up, which are all resolved now, but made it a bit tricky to find time and head space to play.

Glad to have you back! No worries at all, as always.

Azrin nods in agreement with the Captain, and turns back to Delvin - "I hate waiting, but I think everyone will feel a little safer once these cultists are out of the picture. Unless you think there's time before tomorrow night, to try to sneak in, maybe? I'm not sure we could get there and back before the cultist meeting, though. Meanwhile, gather your people, and let me know which of these dwarves I should try to convince to help, perhaps..."

RandomWombat
2019-10-16, 09:13 PM
The Emperor's unblinking reptilian eyes regard the room. "Very well. Meet with these subversive forces and learn what you can from them. When the meeting has given all that it can offer us, or if you are in trouble, send up a flare. Forces will be sent in to capture the attendees."

"If that is your command, I will ensure a force of guards is rallied," Grune agrees.

"It will take at least a day to reach, so there is no time yet..." a heavy sigh escapes from Delvin's mouth and he suggests, "If we can convince Quartzer it would go a long way towards swaying the dwarven votes. But good luck convincing a dwarf of anything, cuz."

H. Von Studley
2019-10-17, 09:10 PM
Edmund nods. "Thank you sir. I will ready my crew."

The weird magical pulse/earthquake thing emanated from the north east. Aigodon is surrounded by mountains, right? What direction is Thel Ghon?

Also, when the Emperor was staring at Ed's Gorum tattoo, what kind of vibe was he getting? I imagine it's pretty difficult to read a dragon, but I got a vaguely disapproving feeling, or maybe like he was questioning Ed's judgement, following a god of battle.

RandomWombat
2019-10-17, 10:00 PM
The city of Thel Ghon is to the east, just north of the valley-prairie tunnel. So while it is technically northeast in regards to the valley center, it would not be northeast from Aigodon, where the party is.

For reading the Emperor, Ed can attempt a Notice check and a Smarts check.

H. Von Studley
2019-10-17, 10:05 PM
Smarts: [roll]1d6[roll]
Smarts wild: [roll0]

Notice (untrained): [roll1]
Notice wild: [roll2]

I can't remember how untrained checks work- I think you subtract something, right?

RandomWombat
2019-10-23, 09:01 AM
The Emperor has never been very fond of Gorum, and given what Edmund now knows from King Kenneth's stories, it might explain why.

RandomWombat
2019-10-31, 10:16 AM
Shortly after the Emperor resolves to allow the crew to deal with the cult meeting, the meeting is adjourned for a break before they resume talks on the Thel Ghon issue.

Quartzer and the others file out with them, and the dwarf steps outside, taking out a smoking pipe.

The trio agree to go along with Claudia's plan, and they and Sarah are covertly led to an inn room near where they're supposed to be meeting some Asmodean representatives. Sarah is from another land, and it looks like they're going to do a background check.

The room is real, quality wood, with silken sheets and a curtain draped across the window. There is ample room for everyone, and sitting chairs aside. A high class place. Two Calistrian workers are applying makeup and perfumes to Andrew to better mask his ghoulish smell. Meanwhile, Claudia is instructing Sarah.

"Take this ring," she says, passing a small bronze band to the other woman. "Don't ask what it does."

"You instill such confidence," Sarah comments snidely, examining the ring.

"And no identifying it," Claudia adds, pushing the ring back down with her hand. She looks over at the others, "The Asmodeans will likely attempt to clear the three of you with a truth spell. How confident are you in your ability to bend the truth? The Asmodeans have been able to weasel their way through similar interrogation before, it can be done."

Aeryk
2019-10-31, 01:14 PM
Andrew sits patiently as he is attended to, noticing that the Calistrians smell... tasty, working this close to him. He tries to distract himself from that appalling thought by focusing on the conversation between Sarah and Claudia.

brandnewb
2019-10-31, 09:38 PM
Olivin joins the others outside, and watches with interest as the Dwarf smokes a pipe. "We used ta ship good pipeweed into Alyonne. Was always a good seller. How is the pipeweed here? Do you grow it round here?"

Robert watches the group preparing with interest. Then decides he should do something interesting. He looks around for a wardrobe and floats his way into it, then back out the other side. After a moment he comments. "Do you want me to hide in here? Or keep an eye out in the hallway outside?" He looks up at the roof, "What is above us? I gona scare anyone if I poke my head through and take a look?" He clearly enjoying his newfound abilities far too much. He floats over to a corner and he comments "You know this is a lot of fun, it would be even better if it was not so bloody hard to even interact with anything.", then pauses to see if they are going to tell him not to stick his head up through the floor.

RandomWombat
2019-11-03, 12:55 PM
"The meeting is a few blocks away," Claudia clarifies, to answer Robert's question. "Above us is another room. I don't know if it's occupied," she glances at one of the other Calistrians, who shakes her head. With a shrug, Claudia replies, "Empty, then. Feel free. Just answer my question first, please."

One of the Calistrians, an elven man, jostles Andrew to snap him out of his stupor, "Sorry,s ir. The madam wants to know how good you are at bending the truth without lying."

Meanwhile, Sarah reluctantly slips on the unidentified bronze ring. There are no immediate effects, so she looks back up to answer Claudia, "Assuming they don't ask any entrapping questions, I should be fine."

"We'll be nearby with your friend Asma, in plainclothes," a blond Calistrian woman adds. The crew members recognize her as Angela, the one they rescued from the Asmodean altar. She's been fitted with some sort of prosthetic feet, and is currently pacing lightly back and forth practicing her balance. She and Asma have also had their hair styled and make-up applied, to make them harder to recognize for any Asmodeans also lurking nearby.

"'S good," the dwarven man comments aside, glancing over at Olivin. "Calms the nerves. Helps with tiredness. They grow it on some farms out in the prairies. Halflings, usually. You're one of the ones from overseas?" Holding out the pipe, he offers Olivin a puff.

brandnewb
2019-11-03, 11:21 PM
Robert floats back down from the ceiling where he was drifting and shakes his head, "No I have never been a particularly good liar. More frequently I just shake a fella down, let him know it will go hard for him if he does not do what I want. But you know, will they expect me to be talkative as a ghost? Or really expect social norms? Robert shrugs "I don't really know what is expected of a ghost.

Olivin accepts the pipe gratefully. "Aye, I be from Alynnon. It was a city-state on tha other side of the ocean. Before the Orcs invaded. Thems they didn't kill they made slaves. I fought 'em till they captured my ship. Haven't smoked a pipe since before the Orcs enslaved me...." Olivin pauses and takes a deep drag from the pipe. He closes his eyes for few moments clearly enjoying. Then he blows a tender smoke ring to float and break on the breeze. He then hands the pipe back. "Oh I missed it, I lost tha urge when I had none. You're halflings done a fine job." He nods to continue his story, "Now I be servin with your emperor's navy. The Cap'in freed me, 'n he gave me a second chance to fight 'em bastard orcs. I warn ye, them Orcs will come here next if-in we don't stop 'em. It'll be your children they enslave next." Olivin pauses mournfully "I couldn't save me own home, but maybe I c'n help save yours."

Aeryk
2019-11-07, 12:24 PM
One of the Calistrians, an elven man, jostles Andrew to snap him out of his stupor, "Sorry, sir. The madam wants to know how good you are at bending the truth without lying."

Andrew shakes himself out of his reverie and notices he is salivating. He swallows, clears his throat, then replies, "Of course. Sorry. Yes, I've done a few mediations where I've had to bend the truth a little to work things out. As long as it's in service of the common good it's no trouble."

Archemist
2019-11-12, 01:28 AM
Asma is unhappy with the makeup, which has been cleverly applied so as to hide her tattoos and make her instead look "normal." She's also lost the scrimshaw ear-bars. But she's struggling through. She looks jealous, too, of Robert seeming to duck into solid furniture and out the other side. "Let's do this. I can lie with the best. Don't believe me? Doesn't change my answer."

Azrin builds on Olivin's clever segue. "Me, I've been out on the seas for forever, and was hoping to come back and see my family... but I hear there's a barred gate in the way. And that you might be able to help with that."

RandomWombat
2019-11-16, 10:28 PM
After Olivin finishes his puff, the dwarf hold out his hand to take the pipe back and take another puff of his own. He nods and rumbles, "'S a brave thing fighting for your home even after hope is gone."

At Azrin's approach, his mouth - which was already set in a permanently neutral line - dips slightly into a frown. "Delvin's kin?" he asks, looking Azrin over with a certainty that make sit clear the question was for formality's sake. "See the family resemblance. I can understand your worry, but any one broken gate could give invaders a way into the other cities through the tunnels. Better to send a squad in through the tunnels and leave the gate intact. Remove the barring from the inside. Wouldn't you agree?"

Angela chuckles quietly and pats Asma on the back, as the last of their touch-ups are applied. "Don't worry, we don't have to do any lying. Just blend in."

"And kick some ass if need be," Claudia adds.

"Looking forward to that part," the woman sits down next to Asma, "Revenge is a virtue after all." She leans forward to adjust the artificial feet attached to her legs, where the Asmodean sacrifice device severed them. "Just hope I can fight in these."

Stepping closer, Claudia hooks a finger under her chin and guides her to look up. "You'll do fine. Ya did well enough in practice, remember?"

"Can't her feet be restored with magic somehow?" asks Sarah, leaning back in her seat and gauging the prosthetic work. She glances up at Robert as he phases around through objects. "Could always act like you were raised against your will. Forced to obey my commands."

"Not strictly false, since you'll need to do that to pull off the con," Claudia adds. She leaves Angela to finish adjusting her prosthetics and peeks out the window through the blinds. "The sun is starting to dip. It's just about show time."

Ready or not, it's time to break a leg.

Sarah steps into the mouth of the shadowy alley, looking down it cautiously. Andrew is behind her, armored and perfumed to hide the smell of decay, while Robert inhabits the pistol at Sarah's waist. "This looks safe." Despite her snark, the woman begins to walk into the alley, keeping one hand on her pistol and the other on her spell component pouch.

Not far away, Asma and Angela are to pass by each other on the opposite side of the street from the alley, and pretend to recognize each other. While striking up a fake conversation, they'll be keeping an eye out for the Asmodeans, and ready to respond if there is trouble. Elsewhere nearby are other Calistrians pretending to be people going about their business.

How many of the bystanders here are secretly Asmodeans doing the same?

Asma sees Angela turn a corner at the other end of the street and begin walking towards her. Practiced in her stride, the unsteadiness of her prosthetics is almost undetectable, and even then only because Asma knows they're there. Her fancy boots hide them well.

When she gets close, Angela's face brightens up. "Cindy, is that you? Long time no see!" she happily leans down to give Asma a light squeeze of a hug. The two of them can see Sarah and Andrew step down the alley.

Everyone can make Notice checks.

Asma can also make her choice of: Persuasion, Stealth, or Streetwise to act normal and blend in. Whichever she chooses, remember she gets a separate Wild Die (d6) with it as well and takes the better result.

Archemist
2019-11-17, 03:16 AM
After Olivin finishes his puff, the dwarf hold out his hand to take the pipe back and take another puff of his own. He nods and rumbles, "'S a brave thing fighting for your home even after hope is gone."

At Azrin's approach, his mouth - which was already set in a permanently neutral line - dips slightly into a frown. "Delvin's kin?" he asks, looking Azrin over with a certainty that make sit clear the question was for formality's sake. "See the family resemblance. I can understand your worry, but any one broken gate could give invaders a way into the other cities through the tunnels. Better to send a squad in through the tunnels and leave the gate intact. Remove the barring from the inside. Wouldn't you agree?"

When she gets close, Angela's face brightens up. "Cindy, is that you? Long time no see!" she happily leans down to give Asma a light squeeze of a hug. The two of them can see Sarah and Andrew step down the alley.

Everyone can make Notice checks.

Asma can also make her choice of: Persuasion, Stealth, or Streetwise to act normal and blend in. Whichever she chooses, remember she gets a separate Wild Die (d6) with it as well and takes the better result.

Asma responds to Claudia, earlier, agreeing with Angela and glad her response would be the same.
Notice: [roll0] Wild: [roll1]. Streetwise: [roll2] Wild: [roll3].
Asma greets Angela on the street. "Hey girl, love your new dress! I hope you're ready to dish on how last night went, you're smiling like things went VERY good."

Azrin tries to stay upbeat in his reply but fails. "I'm not so sure. I think enough time has gone by already - we need a direct approach. If there's anything to fear it's what may already be inside." He keeps from frowning, though. "What would you need to make it happen, either way? My crew is at your service if we can act by tonight."

Aeryk
2019-11-18, 11:51 AM
Andrew shuffles along the alley with Sarah, trying to keep his mind off of how delicious she smells. He does his best to observe his surroundings.

Notice:[roll0], Wild Die:[roll1]

brandnewb
2019-11-24, 06:35 PM
Robert rides along, manifested inside the pistol. He resists the urge to say anything.

RandomWombat
2019-12-01, 01:50 PM
"Tonight?" Quartzer chuckles, coughing out a small puff of pipesmoke. "Apologies. But even drilling through the gate would take a day at best. Traversing the tunnels with a task force would take four or so, maybe three with a forced march."

The dwarf shakes his head sadly, "I know you're afeared for your kin, Bluestone. We all are. But cooler heads must prevail..." he looks away quietly and adds, "The Emperor's word takes precedence over the Silver Court's decision. If he believes we are secure enough to risk damaging the gates, they will cede the point."

Asma and Angela exchange empty conversation on the street, discussing one another's clothes and boys. They may not be quiet, but they do not appear out of place.

Carefully keeping an eye out in her peripherals, Asma sees a few inconspicuous looking people who are loitering around despite looking like they had somewhere to be not long ago. Looking into shop windows, stopping to smoke from a pipe, or similar. They could be innocent distractions... or not.

Striding into the alley, Sarah and her group see a man standing with his arms crossed, leaned up against a wall. Andrew spots a homeless man watching them further down the alley, squatting by a stack of palettes behind some sort of business.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" Sarah greets the man, who looks at her with a squint-eyed scowl. She moves up against the wall opposite him and leans against it, too. Snapping her fingers, she points at a spot beside her and barks at Andrew, "Here."

"This your bodyguard?" the man asks in a low voice.

"Something like that," Sarah inspects her nails, while her other hand flashes the Asmodean amulet around her neck. She glances over to see the man's reaction.

He appears to be looking it over carefully. "That sort of worship is outlawed here, you know."

"Not where I come from," counters the noblewoman, slipping the mark back into her dress. "Besides, you're not going to tell, right? My bodyguard would be displeased."

The man scoffs. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small, identical marking on a bracelet. "Careful who you threaten, girlie. But I ain't going to snitch. What do you want?"

"Only to find like-minded individuals in this foreign land," she answers diplomatically.

Back out on the street, Asma sees one of the suspect individuals moving again. They will soon pass by the alley.

Archemist
2019-12-02, 07:58 PM
The dwarf shakes his head sadly, "I know you're afeared for your kin, Bluestone. We all are. But cooler heads must prevail..."

Azrin nods. "I am concerned, yes. If sending folks through... who did you have in mind? I still think it'd be easier to coordinate work on the door, starting soon, even if it takes a little while. It'd be less time and less danger to those involved. Do you really think I should take it up with the Emperor?"

Asma sees one of the suspect individuals moving again. They will soon pass by the alley.

Asma takes Angela by the hand, as a child might, casually heading in the same direction (towards the alley). She continues her patter, "Nathan was telling me just yesterday that he thinks I'm too TALL for him. Can you imagine? Boys and their pride, even among us halflings. Ach."

"I dunno, walk casual" :smallwink:

brandnewb
2019-12-03, 08:18 AM
Olivin nods, "We actually just came from the emperor. He sent us ta investigate because even he hasn't gotten any word. Being careful and keepin' under guard is one thing, but this is silly. You still gotta talk to the folks outside. It aint cooler heads if ye be so scared you can't even talk to yer friends on tha other side of tha door. Somethin' is clearly wrong."

Olivin stands and scans the door, “But let’s not be excited here. Knockin’ down doors. Ye must ‘ave a way to contact em? What kinda guard aint got a way to talk to them he’s guard'in? What if we were the orc hoards come ta attack, can ya even let yer fellas know ta grab their axes?”

He looks at the Dwarf, “How long since you heard from em?”

Aeryk
2019-12-03, 10:52 AM
Andrew scans the area, careful not to make a point of noticing the homeless man. He obediently comes and stands by Sarah, looks the man up and down, then continues his vigil.

RandomWombat
2019-12-20, 03:15 PM
The dwarf crosses his arms and eyes Olivin skeptically. "Pardon me, but I highly doubt the Emperor would order ya to investigate without telling the proper representatives." He shakes his head, "Ain't nobody outside, and nobody answering on the other side. Been no word for a week."

Looking to Azrin, the dwarf states gruffly, "Squad of six is being prepped. A tunnel guide, a detective, a diviner, and three armed guards. We got it covered. And if you disagree, only way to go over our head is the Emperor. Just how it is."

Asma and Angela begin walking down the street, keeping stride with the suspect on the other side. "Ha, you know how some guys are," she nudges Asma in the side with her knee, since her elbow and hip are both too high. "Just tell him to work out more so he can pick you up anyways!"

Across the street, the man in the warm hooded shirt walks past the alley, lighting up a pipe. He carries on a bit more past the alley before taking a seat at a bench along the wall of a tax office.

"Like-minded individuals huh," the Asmodean in the alley takes stock of Sarah. "And how do I know what your mind is like? How do I know you're useful as more than just... decoration," he snickers to himself.

Reaching over, Sarah takes Andrew's hand and lifts it up. She slides off his gauntlet, revealing the sickly pale, corpse-like hand beneath. "Appearances can be deceiving, as you can see. I am no mere pretty face... but I'm sure you won't complain about another pretty face around, will you?"

The cultist's smirk shifts a bit, from dismissive to intrigued. "Alright. So you have a trick up your sleeve. But if I'm going to introduce you to my... friends, I need to know you can follow orders."

"Try me," Sarah declares, as she slips the gauntlet back onto Andrew's hand and releases it.

"We need a problem removed," the Asmodean answers. "Name of Lorey Maltese, Captain of the City Guard. Too straight-laced. We need her gone so we can replace her with someone more open-minded. Get rid of her and I will see if you can be allowed in."

"Done," without a hint of hesitation, Sarah nods her head. "The Captain will be removed. And no traces back to us. You have my word," she holds out a hand. Looking at it, the Asmodean smiles and shakes it.

brandnewb
2020-03-23, 10:13 PM
Olivin nods, "Alright well good luck then, Im sure they will handle it. I'll just wait fer me orders, if-in we end up over there trying to sort it out I wont say tod-ya-so." Olivin smiles cheerfully at the Dwarf and drops the subject.

When i posted that a few weeks ago i had completely lost track of where we were and way we were doing. Thought we were outside the bloody dwarven gate for some reason.

brandnewb
2020-03-23, 10:18 PM
Robert watches quietly from where he possesses the pistol on her belt. He makes no effort to speak, although he is completely not comfortable with killing the Captain of the Guard.

he bids his time, recognizing his place is to remain hidden.

RandomWombat
2020-03-30, 12:04 PM
The arguments with the dwarf proving pointless, the crew gathers themselves and prepares to set out for the mercenary compound where the Council of Evil is supposed to be meeting. A wagon is prepared for them to speed up their trip. On the way to the east gate, a human man passing by bumps into Captain Grimace. He apologizes and continues on his way.

A group of Aigodon guards are going to be positioned near the fort, waiting for a flare signal from Azrin to go in if anything goes sour, or when it's time to arrest the lot of them.

On the main road to the tunnel back through to the prairies, the crew's wagon trundles along. Edmund sits in the driver's seat, swaying back and forth in time with the steps of the horses. Everything seems fine until the captain suddenly topples over, falling sideways off of the seat and onto the road in a crumple - thankfully missed by the wheels of the wagon as it goes on. The horses don't seem to notice, and in the absence of an order to halt they keep going.

After shaking the Asmodean's hand, Sarah runs it through her hair, smoothing it out. "So are we done here? If so, I'll get to business."

The man silently nods and slinks further into the alley. "When the deed is done, we will contact you."

Leading her undead retainer back out onto the street, Sarah turns and heads back to the inn.

Asma notices the man smoking a pipe get up and start walking in the same direction as Sarah, still puffing on his tobacco.